• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking the Title Screen [FR]

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
Ok, so when you said to open up APE and goto Offset "0x08eaB6c4".

When i load that up this happens!

It turns into "01FFFFE0"

5ied0qbe39ukb9ezg.jpg

help?

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
You dont need to worry about the index that's just unlz's way of "organizing" things. They're pointless.
If you're inserting a tittlescreen background(which it looks like you are) follow of of the many tuts on here.

So, i insert the .raw on both?? (i'm new to this)

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
No insert the raw into the next index right after the image.
So lets say image is at 2040, the raw will be at 2041.(almost always)

ok, thanks for the help!

one more thing just to be clear! (Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions)

i don't need to change the image at "2040" (example) only the .raw at "2041"

also, #300 Post Hype!

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
ok, thanks for the help!

one more thing just to be clear! (Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions)

i don't need to change the image at "2040" (example) only the .raw at "2041"

also, #300 Post Hype!
No you would still have to insert the image at 2040.

Woah 300!

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years

AshKetchumisnumber1

Pokémon Master
Years
Hi sorry to post randomly like this asking for help but I was wondering if you could help me with something please. For the past few days multiple times I tried to hack the title screen in FireRed to change it to say Pokemon Custom with a picture of Pikachu to replace the Charizard and underneath where the copyright 2004 Gamefreak Inc. is, I wanna change that to 2015 pokemonmaster42. I wanna be able to change that for step 1 to make Pokemon Custom into a hack of FireRed, however I was unable to after many times of doing so. I've used both this tutorial http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=325944 and also another tutorial by DawnRyder http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196269 ,however after many many tries it keeps ending in the same result; which is failure. Below in the picture is my result after many attempts to change the title screen in FireRed
4Qa5e84.png
,so I ask as a fellow fan of Pokemon hacks. Can you please help me out here, it'd mean so much. I've been wanting to make a hack for years and I have all the tools to do so. Plus added tools, which every tool I have I want to be used in my hack in someway. I also don't really know how to do mapping, scripting, tiling, etc. I however can use a few tools myself like parts of A-map, all of A-mart, A-trainer, etc. So I'd probably need to get a team together, but that bridge will be crossed when the time for it comes. Anyways thanks so much in advance for reading this, it means a lot.

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
This tutorial is amazing and I'm actually learning a lot from it, especially when it comes to finding the image offsets
1.%20smile.gif

I'm currently only changing the logo and I have one issue, when I try to import my tileset (after getting the logo's palette, saving a new tileset and tilemap with GBA Graphics Editor, editing the logo by replacing "Fire Red" with my logo, saving it and testing it in NTME with the palette all being 0.) I says my image is not indexed and "crashes" I guess?

I went ahead and opened my tileset in irFanView, changed the bytes to 16 and than changed them back to 256 then saved. Doing this let my import my tileset and I followed the rest of the tutorial. I check the palette in irFanView just in case and everything looked fine (the first colour/background is bright green and them the rest of the colours follow).

After finishing the tutorial and checking how it turned out the colours are what they're supposed to be (blue, white, yellow and black) however they're mixed up. I'm guessing this is because I "indexed it in irFanView and I'm going to try manually switching the palette colours around in APE so the match up how they should.

My question would be "Do you know a better way to fix the colours without manually changing everything in APE. If indexing the image in irFanView is what caused the issue is there a better way to get unLZ.GBA to except my tileset without the error "image not indexed"?

Turns out irFanView changed the order of the palette colours, went in and changed the palette and everything looks nice again! <3

Last edited:

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
Hi sorry to post randomly like this asking for help but I was wondering if you could help me with something please. For the past few days multiple times I tried to hack the title screen in FireRed to change it to say Pokemon Custom with a picture of Pikachu to replace the Charizard and underneath where the copyright 2004 Gamefreak Inc. is, I wanna change that to 2015 pokemonmaster42. I wanna be able to change that for step 1 to make Pokemon Custom into a hack of FireRed, however I was unable to after many times of doing so. I've used both this tutorial http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=325944 and also another tutorial by DawnRyder http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196269 ,however after many many tries it keeps ending in the same result; which is failure. Below in the picture is my result after many attempts to change the title screen in FireRed
4Qa5e84.png
,so I ask as a fellow fan of Pokemon hacks. Can you please help me out here, it'd mean so much. I've been wanting to make a hack for years and I have all the tools to do so. Plus added tools, which every tool I have I want to be used in my hack in someway. I also don't really know how to do mapping, scripting, tiling, etc. I however can use a few tools myself like parts of A-map, all of A-mart, A-trainer, etc. So I'd probably need to get a team together, but that bridge will be crossed when the time for it comes. Anyways thanks so much in advance for reading this, it means a lot.
Sorry for the double post...
I'm new to this also and this tutorial has been the most helpful imo.

My first 5 attempts at changing the title logo had a similar result, either the logo didn't change at all or the screen was just black / stopped loading.
I figured out I was clicking "export palette" instead of "export image", I tried again with exporting the image two different ways:
Going to 2009 and 2010 and importing my new tileset and tilemap and NOT going to them and doing the same instructions and following rest of the tutorial.
Both ways worked surprisingly, I was amazed :)

Maybe this is your issue, wrong export clicked?

AshKetchumisnumber1

Pokémon Master
Years
Sorry for the double post...
I'm new to this also and this tutorial has been the most helpful imo.

My first 5 attempts at changing the title logo had a similar result, either the logo didn't change at all or the screen was just black / stopped loading.
I figured out I was clicking "export palette" instead of "export image", I tried again with exporting the image two different ways:
Going to 2009 and 2010 and importing my new tileset and tilemap and NOT going to them and doing the same instructions and following rest of the tutorial.
Both ways worked surprisingly, I was amazed :)

Maybe this is your issue, wrong export clicked?

No idea, however I've given up on trying to change the title screen in Fire Red. To even attempt to create a hack out of it, I been very lazy lately so.. Plus I've also deleted the files of it that I had.

Back