• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's unfair

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Are there any Pokemon types that you think are a little neglected compared to others? Maybe there are fewer Pokemon in this type? Not a big enough move pool under it? You find Pokemon of this type noticeably weaker? Or maybe you think each type is treated equally? Whatever the reason may be share your thoughts.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'd say Bug. They've got like Bug Buzz, Megahorn and X-Scissor, but that's about it move wise. And there are quite a few Pokemon out there, but none of the bugs off the top of my head scream top tier.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I'm also going with bug. Bug is a cool type, with Yanmega and Leavanny being my favorites, but unfortunately most of them are frail - most especially the dual typed bugs. Gen IV has been a bit more nice to bug-types overall, but most of them are still pretty fragile.

Years
I'd say Bug as well. The moves are great but there's not enough good Bug Pokemon.
Gligar, Gliscor, Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon, Giratina should have been Bug types.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Hopping on to the Bug wagon here. Bugs was pretty much getting buffs in each gen with great moves in Gen IV, and actually decent Bug Pokemon in Gen V. Yet they're still held back by their crippling and common weaknesses. Also, Fairy resisting Bug was like kicking a person while they were down on the ground.

If it weren't for Fairy resisting Bugs, I might have said Ice types being one of the most neglected types. Seriously, worst defensive capabilities in the whole game and GameFreak still sees the need to have defensive-oriented Ice type Pokemon.

Years
Psyduck & Golduck. They doesn't seem well thought out. They are water types only.
The whole entire WaterPsychic combo seems neglected with a meager two species belonging to it.
-Slowbro (. . . and evolutions).
-Starmie.

Years
I pretty much agree with everyone who mentioned Bug-type. They always seem to be lacking in coverage plus most are quite weak in stats and there are only a few that really stand out stat-wise, like Yanmega, Scizor and a few of the 5th Gen Bug-types. Vivillon also has really good stats for an early Bug-type, which made it pretty usable in-game.

5th Gen finally started picking up the pace by introducing stronger Bug-types, but then 6th Gen gave Fairy-type a resistance to Bug making the type tied with Grass as the types with the most types resisting its attacks.

Also, Ice-types can fit this. They are like so fragile people don't even want to consider using the Pokemon itself, and only the moves as a coverage option on a non-Ice Pokemon. Rock-types also seem to be screwed over in the moves department, most don't have 100% accuracy, and also huge lack of special Rock moves as well.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Holy crap... what's with you guys saying Bug? If anything, this type is one of the best types in the game.

1) "hey've got like Bug Buzz, Megahorn and X-Scissor, but that's about it move wise. "

U-Turn? Sticky Web? FREAKING QUIVER DANCE?

2) "most of them are frail - most especially the dual typed bugs."

Scizor has good bulk (70/100/80), can mega evolve and become an excellent tank, and only has one weakness. Heracross can also take a hit or two unless that hit deals super effective damage, can once again mega evolve, etc. Volcarona also tanks special attacks quite well, especially after one Quiver Dance. Scolipede can also depend on its bulk (especially with Iron Defense, which is one of the main reasons the move Baton Pass has been nerfed) to set up and pass a Swords Dance boost to a powerful attacker. And finally, Genesect has loads of resistances just like Scizor and thus it can take many hits, but it's much faster, can use Download to awesome effect, and has an incredible movepool (which is way it was ultimately banned).

3) "Also, Fairy resisting Bug was like kicking a person while they were down on the ground."

Most Bug-type Pokemon can actually get past Fairy-types with their coverage moves, or their other STAB. Scizor once again comes to mind, since unless said Fairy-type is named Azumarill or runs HP Fire, it thrashes them with a simple Bullet Punch for a 2HKO or even an OHKO. Mega Pinsir can set up a Swords Dance and destroy them with an Aerilate-boosted Return, while Mega Heracross can also defeat them with a Poison Jab, which is usually enough to kill since this pokemon has a huge base attack. Volcarona resists Fairy and can use most fairy-types (bar Azumarill) as setup fodder. Shuckle and Venomoth can set up for free on Fairy-type Pokemon. Scolipede can also set up a Swords Dance and OHKO fairies with +2 Poison Jab.

You guys are underestimating this type. This type provides much utility with U-turn and most Bug-types have access to boosting moves to potentially sweep. Remember the king of Gen 5 OU? Yeah, it was Scizor, who is a bug-type.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Rock-types! Most of their main weaknesses come from predominately special attacking types and yet they're given huge Defence stats to compensate? With a lack of hard-hitting Rock-type moves (or, at least ones that can hit with any form of reliability), it's often very difficult to make Rock-types into the huge unstoppable walls that they should be. Bug-types have it bad sure, but they don't know the woes of a giant towering rock snake not even being able to hit its enemy.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Rocks.png

Stealth Rock is by far the best move in the game in my opinion, since it renders many Pokemon unviable (such as Moltres and Articuno) or less viable than they should be (Weavile, Mega Pinsir or Entei). Also, Rock-types can somewhat cushion their special defense with help from sandstorm (Tyranitar and Hippowdon anyone?)

Tbh, I don't think there's a "worst type". All types have their pros and cons. You could argue Ice since they are horrible defensively, and I can't think of any defensive Ice-types bar Walrein, but that type is still powerful offensively, even though Steel- and Fire-types still laugh at any Icicle Crashes, Ice Shards or hail teams (but all serious hail teams should have a Fire-type Pokemon in my opinion, preferably Heatran).

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
In my opinion, the Ice type has been screwed over the most. It's weak to four common types, and only resists itself. I don't know why Game Freak never bothers to give them more resistances, like they should.

Years
Ice. Move-wise, they have some pretty decent moves. Offensively, they're a good type, especially since they can dish out super effective attacks against Dragons. (And as many Dragons are part Flying or Ground, they do 4x damage.) Defense-wise, most suck. As was already pointed out, they only have one resistance and four weaknesses, so they usually aren't good to use. Also, giving an honorable mention to Fairy due to the fact that it isn't very good as a physical type. There's only one known physical Fairy move, and a majority of the fairies are special attackers. However, it's a good type otherwise and doesn't seem too neglected, even with it being new.

Years
Bug was the most obvious, glaring answer to this question until the 4th generation rolled around. Now, it's pretty much on par with other types and can actually be used on teams as counters to the Pokemon that it hits for super effective damage! My pick right now is Ice types, because there are such a small amount of them out there compared to all the other types. It's disappointing, really, because they have great capabilities like hitting Dragons hard, but can't capitalize on them. In future games, I hope they take the time to develop Ice types that fill the gap that has been left by Game Freak.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I'd say Bug. They've got like Bug Buzz, Megahorn and X-Scissor, but that's about it move wise. And there are quite a few Pokemon out there, but none of the bugs off the top of my head scream top tier.

U-turn? I find that Bug-type move to just be fantastic, but I get you - the Bug type is one of those types that got the short straw move-wise.
As to your last part, you have things like Scizor, Volcarona, Durant, Scolipede, Heracross and Yanmega. They're all phenomenal Bug-types, and have all been around the OU/UU tier in competitive battling, excluding Durant.

As for my answer, probably the Poison type. Having a low amount of moves with the typing and a lack of strengths against other types, the Poison type is a bit below the other types. The only notable moves you can really use with the Poison type are probably Sludge Bomb/Wave and Poison Jab. That's...basically it. I like how Fairy's weak against Poison, a change I approve of, but it's still a weak type offensively. The Ice type is another candidate for the unfair call. One reisstance. Really, Game Freak? Absolute trash. I love the Ice type offensively - they're one of the few types that can effectively take down the menacing Dragon type, and have strengths against multiple other types, but the one resistance? Let alone to its own typing? I've never been more mad in my life, they short handed an amazing type with that dumb move.

rom hunter

tongue-tied
Years
I am with the bug-brigade. Until 3rd generation I had never thought of including bugs in my team. With introduction of new abilities and new type combinations involving Bug type things have changed and now bug pokemon too can shine in competitive battling. Scyther and Scizor have emerged as my favorite bug pokemons after the introduction of technician ability in generation iv.

As for ice types, ice pokemon are less in number (especially upto 5th gen) compared to other types but ice types have got wide variety of coolest moves to choose from which is not the case in bug types. Are there any killer moves comparable to ice beam and blizzard for bug pokemon? The most powerful Megahorn is not available for many bug pokemon while common moves such as Silver Wind and Bug Buzz cannot be considered as the best sweeper moves. I feel there should be more bug type moves of >100 power keeping in mind the disadvantage the bug type has over many types (flying, fighting, fire, steel, poison -five types in all).

Back