• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are R/B still worth playing?

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
This is an actual question, not some kind of statement.
I don't know if I'm right but I think FR/LG are basically the same games as R/B from what I've read. Maybe there's something I've missed and Pokémon have different attacks in the new versions but I don't think so. Yes, there is the "nature" feature and other little thing such as Vs. Seeker (which I like a lot) but the Pokémon are the same.

That being said R/B has a retro feeling to it and nature doesn't get in the way of training. Sometimes I like to keep things simple and I have yet to understand what's so good about natures if you just want to catch a Pokémon and train it, not necessarily EV train it for the game.

I'd really like to start playing either R/B or the revamped versions tomorrow, though I don't know which one I'd like best. I have played both games before and while I love the Vs. Seeker, I found natures to be a big waste of time.
Maybe if I can take advantage of them I'll change my mind, but for now I'm wary about them.

I've also never really bothered with TMs so I wondered if there was a difference between the Blue and the LG TMs.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If you're a fan of older games and older music and graphic styles, you should definitely play RB. FRLG are updates of the games, and while I find that most fans prefer them to the originals, I'm one of those people that prefer the originals. I don't think FRLG did RB too much justice as a remake, but that's my opinion. Others will think otherwise, and that's fine. But I think for a more raw and original experience, RB is the way to go rather than FRLG.

If you're a big fan of Pokemon games and want to play as many as you can, then RB is the "must play" of the whole series.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm gonna move this into PGC since it's about RB and FRLG. I'm not totally sure if you meant for this to be a discussion or you legit needed help choosing between them, but hey, I think this could turn into a nice discussion, and if you are looking for help, the answers you get from this thread will aide you in your decision. :)

Years
I've never experienced these games myself, but I often see questions like this pop up.

In my personal opinion, if you like the old graphics and music, you know the classic stuff, then Red and Blue should be worth playing. Or otherwise FireRed & LeafGreen if you prefer the newer, updated stuff. It's basically the same as Red and Blue, but implemented with 3rd Generation mechanics.

It all depends on if you prefer the older or the newer stuff, but both are great games for those die-hard Kanto fans.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Red was my first game and so playing it is really nostalgic. I play them every now and then on an emulator just to revive those memories. So to me, it's worth it for the nostalgia but I the remakes are better graphic and gameplay. If you want to play them for the nostalgic feels then I would play RB. If you just want the feel of the originals and Kanto with better graphics, then play FRLG. I would play both if it were myself, but that's my preference.

Years
I usually alternate when I fancy revisiting kanto which generation version I choose to complete and each have their merits.

R/B is obviously the ultimate nostalgia trip in the pokemon fandom, even as someone too young to play the games when they were actively played, appreciate the original games as I remember watching other people in my neighbourhood playing them. Other than that I think the only real positive is the bugs you classed as a negative, I personally think having fun with them can prolong the game time.

FR/LG are obviously better in terms of mechanics, even down to basic things such as bag compartments. Graphically they're obviously much prettier too and you'll never see anything like the odd sprites of some pokemon in r/b. I also think that for me personally, the remakes have started to create nostalgia if their own, which is amplified for me as gen 3 was the first I played.

Ultimately it's down to personal preference, but I personally think Fr/Lg are the better choice. It still won't stop me from playing the originals now and then though.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Depends on what you mean, buddy.

If you mean that if they are "worth" playing, then hell yeah. They are the main reason Pokémon became so famous, so why wouldn't they be?

Or if you mean that are they good enough to be played compared to the newer games, then I might say no. You'll be missing a lot of features, yes. I know this since I've beaten Blue already about three to four times. You won't have abilities, good moves (serious) and of course our graphical style.

But yes it is VERY addicting so I recommend popping it up on your GameBoy and start a game.

FR/LG and R/B's main difference is the Sevii Islands. Other than that the game turns much harder in FR/LG, PC Box is much more useful, addition of hold items, abilities, gender etc. But basically if you just want to play then yes, there's not much difference.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Personally i hate how many lock downs there are in Red/Blue/Yellow. But you can use the same lock downs against your NPCs. On another note, I like the Nature system and the EV/IV system; So i've grown attached to these gameplay enhancements so much that I have a hard time playing Red/Blue/Yellow despite them being my first pokemon game.
Nosolgia is really the only reason I'd ever pick it up again.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your opinions. I'm legit asking which game I should play because I have a limited amount of time to spend playing. I know they're all worth playing since I've played them before and I liked them. :)
I'm a sucker for better graphics, but I have a lot of good memories playing R/B/Y and my skill level as a trainer is very low so maybe I should avoid the "more complicated things" like nature for now.

Then again I know how important it is to get some hands-on practice to understand concepts better... so I really don't know what to do.

Whatever time I'll be saving by putting off studying natures and more complicated movesets, I'll be wasting it training on wild Pokémon (R/B/Y lacks the Vs. Seeker which is somewhat of a dealbreaker for me.)

I think I'll pick FR/LG for a more challenging game and full-color Pokémon.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I'm actually replaying Blue Version right now. The reasons being the nostalgic feeling, and that I bought an N64 Transfer Pak to use with Pokemon Stadium, which I can't beat with rentals. I'm playing through it and building a good team for use in Stadium.

Either way, though FR/LG is an option, R/B/Y is a good play as well.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
I think that Red/Blue are 100% worth playing. I genuinely love the old graphics-style and music. The nostalgia from playing these games is just so overwhelming and Blue will always be one of my favourite games. However, if you're playing it mainly for the game itself then definitely I would recommend either FR/LG as they're both excellent games.

Years
Red and Blue are totally worth of playing. However, they are the original ! ..And I personally like more the old ones.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your opinions on the games. :)
I am currently finishing FR and I'm planning on playing LF afterwards.
The Vs. Seeker and cute graphics were the big selling points.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I would if you can trade the generation I legendary Pokémon and other rare ones over to your new games, or just to play the old games out of a feeling of nostalgia.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I like playing FR and LG more than R/B, but the older games are still. Many gamers still prefer RB over the others because nostalgia and they just like them better.

Arron13

Calm, Relaxed, but Competative
Years
really I just play the older games for the nostalgia feeling. I love going back to games I played when I was a child to experience what I felt when I was younger. Besides that, no. If you want better graphics, more pokemon, better sound, and some extra things put into the game, just stick with FRLG.

Years
Very much yes.
The storylines are similar but they're very different in terms of mechanics. Plus there are some cool glitches to exploit in Red/Blue.

chronuswing

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2013
The only downfall to playing the original R/B/Y is the battery inside the cartridge. Once the battery goes, you can no longer save and you'll lose your existing save file. However, since the DS cartridges are all flash memory, you will get thousands of saves from those :D. But thinking back, there's probably nothing I enjoyed more than the missingno, and the mew glitch. Definitely worth it, but if you're like me at all. It's really gonna suck when that battery goes.

Back