The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!


Advertise here

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1051    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 03:47 PM
Florio's Avatar
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Here is a new map that I have been working on, it is called Lost Woods. It is a Ghost-type forest and has Pokemon such as Gastly, Shuppet, Duskull, Phantump, Honedge and Pumpkaboo.

Maps of Lost Woods:
Spoiler:






Here is what they look like in game, with the fog-effect:
Spoiler:






Here is a link to the video of a Lost Woods preview, I couldn't figure out how to embed properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBANOfFJgfY

Here is a Map of a small Town at the end of Lost Woods called MuskyFog Town (anyone got a better name? lol):
Spoiler:


And what it looks like in-game:
Spoiler:


Would appreciate all your thoughts and criticism on the above.

Last edited by Florio; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1052    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:19 PM
Saving Raven's Avatar
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: everywhere
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florio View Post
Spoiler:
Here is a new map that I have been working on, it is called Lost Woods. It is a Ghost-type forest and has Pokemon such as Gastly, Shuppet, Duskull, Phantump, Honedge and Pumpkaboo.

Maps of Lost Woods:
Spoiler:






Here is what they look like in game, with the fog-effect:
Spoiler:






Here is a link to the video of a Lost Woods preview, I couldn't figure out how to embed properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBANOfFJgfY

Here is a Map of a small Town at the end of Lost Woods called MuskyFog Town (anyone got a better name? lol):
Spoiler:


And what it looks like in-game:
Spoiler:


Would appreciate all your thoughts and criticism on the above.
It's a great idea, really interesting and well done. I like the idea of the lost woods being sort of like a maze, like the one from LoZ, but as a map. It's all well done, but the town seems a bit too square, it's fine, but you may want to put all that space to better use. I would also call it a village, instead of a town.
__________________

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Reply With Quote
  #1053    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:04 AM
Savordez's Avatar
Savordez
HELLO HELLO EVERYBODY HEY
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: dunno
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Took me around 20 minutes to make. Pretty simple.
Click here for image because it's real huge

E: Here's a second part of the map: img here
__________________

Last edited by Savordez; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:41 AM. Reason: Added another screenshot
Reply With Quote
  #1054    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 07:32 AM
Saving Raven's Avatar
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: everywhere
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savordez View Post
Took me around 20 minutes to make. Pretty simple.
Click here for image because it's real huge

E: Here's a second part of the map: img here
More of a map than a screenshot, actually, exactly like a map, and not at all like a screenshot.
Anyway, it's fine I guess, it's a pretty standard map for a legendary encounter, or important scene.
I would like to see those floating pillars flipped upside down - it would only require a small amount of editing, recolor, and copy/pasting.

I also am not a fan of the statues, it makes it seem forced, it's more man-made instead of natural and eerie. Unless you were going for man-made, then it's fine, but still you should go with something else.
__________________

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Reply With Quote
  #1055    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 08:13 AM
Savordez's Avatar
Savordez
HELLO HELLO EVERYBODY HEY
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: dunno
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
More of a map than a screenshot, actually, exactly like a map, and not at all like a screenshot.
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
Anyway, it's fine I guess, it's a pretty standard map for a legendary encounter, or important scene.
It's not a cave for legendaries or an important scene; I wanted to make a small cave so yeah!! Yay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
I would like to see those floating pillars flipped upside down - it would only require a small amount of editing, recolor, and copy/pasting.
You mean the stalagmites in the second screenshot? I wanted to make them like, rise from the darkness but your idea sounds better. Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
I also am not a fan of the statues, it makes it seem forced, it's more man-made instead of natural and eerie. Unless you were going for man-made, then it's fine, but still you should go with something else.
Yep, man-made. It's the home of some crazy cultists.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1056    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 01:18 PM
Florio's Avatar
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savordez View Post
Took me around 20 minutes to make. Pretty simple.
Click here for image because it's real huge

E: Here's a second part of the map: img here
It's good stuff, but I agree with what Saving Raven said. Flip those floating pillars upside down and it would look cool. It would even look more wicked if you could get them to animate up/down.
Reply With Quote
  #1057    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 01:37 PM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
More of a map than a screenshot, actually, exactly like a map, and not at all like a screenshot.
If you see something posted in the wrong place, report it rather than post about it. Come on, it's not rocket science.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1058    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 10:37 AM
desbrina's Avatar
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Newest maps, mt ember


Spoiler:
__________________
Creator of


A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Reply With Quote
  #1059    
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 01:09 PM
Rayquaza.'s Avatar
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by desbrina View Post
Newest maps, mt ember


I like the maps but I think that the second may be a bit too empty. The addition of rims that blend the cliff tiles with the sand may make it better as well (Just as it does with the grass).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1060    
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 01:20 PM
WackyTurtle's Avatar
WackyTurtle
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Here's a swamp route I've just finished. Came out surprisingly well, actually.

Spoiler:
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #1061    
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 01:46 PM
Saving Raven's Avatar
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: everywhere
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyTurtle View Post
Here's a swamp route I've just finished. Came out surprisingly well, actually.

Spoiler:
I love it, it's all great. Very well done, the only thing is that the swamp water is too boring. It would be cool if it looked more interesting instead of flat brown, but even that is fine.
Also I don't know a lot about swamps, but the white rocks seem a little out of place.
Also I love the mushrooms
__________________

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Reply With Quote
  #1062    
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 04:14 AM
Evilrake's Avatar
Evilrake
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyTurtle View Post
Here's a swamp route I've just finished. Came out surprisingly well, actually.

Spoiler:
Looks seriously good! I agree with above about the water, but I know that's not something easily done and it still looks great as is. The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the player already has surf it's going to be really easy to cut straight through the map. Not a problem if it's earlier in the game, but if it's later then maybe but in some obstacles like rocks or partially submerged mangroves in the water.

Is pretty.
Reply With Quote
  #1063    
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 04:47 AM
WackyTurtle's Avatar
WackyTurtle
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
I love it, it's all great. Very well done, the only thing is that the swamp water is too boring. It would be cool if it looked more interesting instead of flat brown, but even that is fine.
Also I don't know a lot about swamps, but the white rocks seem a little out of place.
Also I love the mushrooms
Thanks! I might replace the water with an autotile that adds a bit of animation to the edges of the water (like in D/P) but that all depends on whether I can be bothered. Also I was going to use brown rocks but I wanted to add a bit of variety to the colours on the map, otherwise everything would look overwhelmingly poopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilrake View Post
Looks seriously good! I agree with above about the water, but I know that's not something easily done and it still looks great as is. The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the player already has surf it's going to be really easy to cut straight through the map. Not a problem if it's earlier in the game, but if it's later then maybe but in some obstacles like rocks or partially submerged mangroves in the water.

Is pretty.
You actually get Surf here, and the upper rivers of the map take you to a hidden route. But yes, I will add some rocks to the other parts to stop the player from escaping. And thanks! Much of the credit goes to Kyledove's beautiful swamp tiles. Here they are if anyone else wants to use them.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #1064    
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 06:09 AM
tImE's Avatar
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
Age: 19
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyTurtle View Post
Here's a swamp route I've just finished. Came out surprisingly well, actually.

Spoiler:
Simple and nice map. It's decorated moderately and isn't boring.
The space is filled nicely and it isn't too cramped or too spacious.

I agree with Saving Raven that the muddy water is kind of boring as it is now. I suggest using a dark yellow-greenish color of water, to get the "swampy" feel to it. You could also use a darker shade of water to give the feeling of different depth, to make it more interesting. And some plants in the water (reeds, moss, lilypads) wouldn't be bad either IMO.

Lastly, since you are using Kyledove's tiles for almost everything, I suggest using his "Tall Swamp Grass" as well, as I think the one, without an outline, which you are using now, sticks out from the rest of the tiles, which do have outlines.

I give the map an 8/10 as is, but when you've finished the water, it's a potential 9/10.

Good luck with your game!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1065    
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 04:49 PM
Florio's Avatar
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
Simple and nice map. It's decorated moderately and isn't boring.
The space is filled nicely and it isn't too cramped or too spacious.

I agree with Saving Raven that the muddy water is kind of boring as it is now. I suggest using a dark yellow-greenish color of water, to get the "swampy" feel to it. You could also use a darker shade of water to give the feeling of different depth, to make it more interesting. And some plants in the water (reeds, moss, lilypads) wouldn't be bad either IMO.

Lastly, since you are using Kyledove's tiles for almost everything, I suggest using his "Tall Swamp Grass" as well, as I think the one, without an outline, which you are using now, sticks out from the rest of the tiles, which do have outlines.

I give the map an 8/10 as is, but when you've finished the water, it's a potential 9/10.

Good luck with your game!
everything this guy said. The swamp is really awesome and interesting, but needs a water color change. I thought the same thing. And yeah lily pads would be great, Kyledove has some lily pads too.
Reply With Quote
  #1066    
Old 6 Days Ago, 05:46 AM
Savordez's Avatar
Savordez
HELLO HELLO EVERYBODY HEY
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: dunno
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Kaise Town! Plus a bit of Mt. Kaise
Spoiler:

The tool I used won't render autotiles so there's no flowers too. (Also there's some errors with the tiles but I've already fixed most of them)
__________________

Last edited by Savordez; 6 Days Ago at 05:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1067    
Old 5 Days Ago, 02:51 AM
Evilrake's Avatar
Evilrake
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savordez View Post
Kaise Town! Plus a bit of Mt. Kaise
Spoiler:

The tool I used won't render autotiles so there's no flowers too. (Also there's some errors with the tiles but I've already fixed most of them)
I like the structure of the map, but it could definitely be cleaned up a little. Having lots of in-y and out-y bits doesn't look as good when they impede player movement (they're fine on those inaccessible bits on top of the mountain though). I recommend smoothing out the cliff a little, expanding the left side behind the pokemart and pushing the Pokemart back a bit to be sitting against the cliff. This'll give a bit the player a bit more space, and lets you tighten up other areas without the map feeling claustrophobic. I'd reccommend pulling in that cliff behind that first bottom house, for example. You could also do the reverse: push the house back and pull the cliff by the Pokemart in, though personally I prefer to keep a map not so one sided.

The other thing is, like you said, tile errors. Since I don't know which ones you've fixed and which ones you haven't, I'll just point out the ones I noticed: the cliff to the left of the pokemart, that red bit behind the Pokemart, the cliff below the first house, and not so much an 'error' but I think the flower tiles you're using dont blend in with the grass so well, as you can see the sharp border separating the tiles.

My only other suggestion is not to use those hedge tiles unless you make it a theme of the town. Having just one or two in random places looks a bit weird.

But like I said in the beginning, the structure looks good, and the tiers are done well. Maps always look much better in-game anyway : ).
__________________
Creator of Pokemon Sekai

Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.