The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 03:47 PM
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Here is a new map that I have been working on, it is called Lost Woods. It is a Ghost-type forest and has Pokemon such as Gastly, Shuppet, Duskull, Phantump, Honedge and Pumpkaboo.

Maps of Lost Woods:
Spoiler:

Here is what they look like in game, with the fog-effect:
Spoiler:

Here is a link to the video of a Lost Woods preview, I couldn't figure out how to embed properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBANOfFJgfY

Here is a Map of a small Town at the end of Lost Woods called MuskyFog Town (anyone got a better name? lol):
Spoiler:

And what it looks like in-game:
Spoiler:

Would appreciate all your thoughts and criticism on the above.

Last edited by Florio; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:54 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:19 PM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florio View Post
Spoiler:
Here is a new map that I have been working on, it is called Lost Woods. It is a Ghost-type forest and has Pokemon such as Gastly, Shuppet, Duskull, Phantump, Honedge and Pumpkaboo.

Maps of Lost Woods:
Spoiler:

Here is what they look like in game, with the fog-effect:
Spoiler:

Here is a link to the video of a Lost Woods preview, I couldn't figure out how to embed properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBANOfFJgfY

Here is a Map of a small Town at the end of Lost Woods called MuskyFog Town (anyone got a better name? lol):
Spoiler:

And what it looks like in-game:
Spoiler:

Would appreciate all your thoughts and criticism on the above.
It's a great idea, really interesting and well done. I like the idea of the lost woods being sort of like a maze, like the one from LoZ, but as a map. It's all well done, but the town seems a bit too square, it's fine, but you may want to put all that space to better use. I would also call it a village, instead of a town.

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:04 AM
Savordez
HELLO HELLO EVERYBODY HEY

Nature: Relaxed
Took me around 20 minutes to make. Pretty simple.
Click here for image because it's real huge

E: Here's a second part of the map: img here

Last edited by Savordez; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:41 AM. Reason: Added another screenshot
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 07:32 AM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savordez View Post

More of a map than a screenshot, actually, exactly like a map, and not at all like a screenshot.
Anyway, it's fine I guess, it's a pretty standard map for a legendary encounter, or important scene.
I would like to see those floating pillars flipped upside down - it would only require a small amount of editing, recolor, and copy/pasting.

I also am not a fan of the statues, it makes it seem forced, it's more man-made instead of natural and eerie. Unless you were going for man-made, then it's fine, but still you should go with something else.

Old 4 Weeks Ago, 08:13 AM
Savordez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
More of a map than a screenshot, actually, exactly like a map, and not at all like a screenshot.
ok

Quote:
Anyway, it's fine I guess, it's a pretty standard map for a legendary encounter, or important scene.
It's not a cave for legendaries or an important scene; I wanted to make a small cave so yeah!! Yay!!

Quote:
I would like to see those floating pillars flipped upside down - it would only require a small amount of editing, recolor, and copy/pasting.
You mean the stalagmites in the second screenshot? I wanted to make them like, rise from the darkness but your idea sounds better. Will do!

Quote:
I also am not a fan of the statues, it makes it seem forced, it's more man-made instead of natural and eerie. Unless you were going for man-made, then it's fine, but still you should go with something else.
Yep, man-made. It's the home of some crazy cultists.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 01:18 PM
Florio

Quote:

It's good stuff, but I agree with what Saving Raven said. Flip those floating pillars upside down and it would look cool. It would even look more wicked if you could get them to animate up/down.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 01:37 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
If you see something posted in the wrong place, report it rather than post about it. Come on, it's not rocket science.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 10:37 AM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
Newest maps, mt ember

Spoiler:

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old 3 Weeks Ago, 01:09 PM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by desbrina View Post
Newest maps, mt ember

I like the maps but I think that the second may be a bit too empty. The addition of rims that blend the cliff tiles with the sand may make it better as well (Just as it does with the grass).
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 01:20 PM
WackyTurtle
Developer

Here's a swamp route I've just finished. Came out surprisingly well, actually.

Spoiler:

Old 2 Weeks Ago, 01:46 PM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyTurtle View Post

Spoiler:
I love it, it's all great. Very well done, the only thing is that the swamp water is too boring. It would be cool if it looked more interesting instead of flat brown, but even that is fine.
Also I don't know a lot about swamps, but the white rocks seem a little out of place.
Also I love the mushrooms

Old 2 Weeks Ago, 04:14 AM
Evilrake

Quote:

Spoiler:
Looks seriously good! I agree with above about the water, but I know that's not something easily done and it still looks great as is. The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the player already has surf it's going to be really easy to cut straight through the map. Not a problem if it's earlier in the game, but if it's later then maybe but in some obstacles like rocks or partially submerged mangroves in the water.

Is pretty.
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 04:47 AM
WackyTurtle
Developer

Quote:
I love it, it's all great. Very well done, the only thing is that the swamp water is too boring. It would be cool if it looked more interesting instead of flat brown, but even that is fine.
Also I don't know a lot about swamps, but the white rocks seem a little out of place.
Also I love the mushrooms
Thanks! I might replace the water with an autotile that adds a bit of animation to the edges of the water (like in D/P) but that all depends on whether I can be bothered. Also I was going to use brown rocks but I wanted to add a bit of variety to the colours on the map, otherwise everything would look overwhelmingly poopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilrake View Post
Looks seriously good! I agree with above about the water, but I know that's not something easily done and it still looks great as is. The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the player already has surf it's going to be really easy to cut straight through the map. Not a problem if it's earlier in the game, but if it's later then maybe but in some obstacles like rocks or partially submerged mangroves in the water.

Is pretty.
You actually get Surf here, and the upper rivers of the map take you to a hidden route. But yes, I will add some rocks to the other parts to stop the player from escaping. And thanks! Much of the credit goes to Kyledove's beautiful swamp tiles. Here they are if anyone else wants to use them.

Old 2 Weeks Ago, 06:09 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Quote:

Spoiler:
Simple and nice map. It's decorated moderately and isn't boring.
The space is filled nicely and it isn't too cramped or too spacious.

I agree with Saving Raven that the muddy water is kind of boring as it is now. I suggest using a dark yellow-greenish color of water, to get the "swampy" feel to it. You could also use a darker shade of water to give the feeling of different depth, to make it more interesting. And some plants in the water (reeds, moss, lilypads) wouldn't be bad either IMO.

Lastly, since you are using Kyledove's tiles for almost everything, I suggest using his "Tall Swamp Grass" as well, as I think the one, without an outline, which you are using now, sticks out from the rest of the tiles, which do have outlines.

I give the map an 8/10 as is, but when you've finished the water, it's a potential 9/10.

Good luck with your game!
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 04:49 PM
Florio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
Simple and nice map. It's decorated moderately and isn't boring.
The space is filled nicely and it isn't too cramped or too spacious.

I agree with Saving Raven that the muddy water is kind of boring as it is now. I suggest using a dark yellow-greenish color of water, to get the "swampy" feel to it. You could also use a darker shade of water to give the feeling of different depth, to make it more interesting. And some plants in the water (reeds, moss, lilypads) wouldn't be bad either IMO.

Lastly, since you are using Kyledove's tiles for almost everything, I suggest using his "Tall Swamp Grass" as well, as I think the one, without an outline, which you are using now, sticks out from the rest of the tiles, which do have outlines.

I give the map an 8/10 as is, but when you've finished the water, it's a potential 9/10.

Good luck with your game!
everything this guy said. The swamp is really awesome and interesting, but needs a water color change. I thought the same thing. And yeah lily pads would be great, Kyledove has some lily pads too.
Old 6 Days Ago, 05:46 AM
Savordez

Kaise Town! Plus a bit of Mt. Kaise
Spoiler:

The tool I used won't render autotiles so there's no flowers too. (Also there's some errors with the tiles but I've already fixed most of them)

Last edited by Savordez; 6 Days Ago at 05:54 AM.
Old 5 Days Ago, 02:51 AM
Evilrake

Quote:
Kaise Town! Plus a bit of Mt. Kaise
Spoiler:

The tool I used won't render autotiles so there's no flowers too. (Also there's some errors with the tiles but I've already fixed most of them)
I like the structure of the map, but it could definitely be cleaned up a little. Having lots of in-y and out-y bits doesn't look as good when they impede player movement (they're fine on those inaccessible bits on top of the mountain though). I recommend smoothing out the cliff a little, expanding the left side behind the pokemart and pushing the Pokemart back a bit to be sitting against the cliff. This'll give a bit the player a bit more space, and lets you tighten up other areas without the map feeling claustrophobic. I'd reccommend pulling in that cliff behind that first bottom house, for example. You could also do the reverse: push the house back and pull the cliff by the Pokemart in, though personally I prefer to keep a map not so one sided.

The other thing is, like you said, tile errors. Since I don't know which ones you've fixed and which ones you haven't, I'll just point out the ones I noticed: the cliff to the left of the pokemart, that red bit behind the Pokemart, the cliff below the first house, and not so much an 'error' but I think the flower tiles you're using dont blend in with the grass so well, as you can see the sharp border separating the tiles.

My only other suggestion is not to use those hedge tiles unless you make it a theme of the town. Having just one or two in random places looks a bit weird.

But like I said in the beginning, the structure looks good, and the tiers are done well. Maps always look much better in-game anyway : ).

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here