• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever nickname your Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 23, 2015
Sometimes, it depends on whether or not I can think of something though. I always make sure the nickname fits the Pokemon as well, for example:

Typhlosion (F) - Ashlynn
Ash - volcanic dust: fine-grained lava that erupts or flows from a volcano before settling on the ground. Also, remains of fire: the powdery substance that is left when something has been burned.

So it fits the gender and the typing as well as the Pokemon itself, because my Typhlosion is a female, it's a fire type, and Typhlosion is often associated with volcanoes because of it's ability to learn Lava Plume and Eruption.

That's how I like to nickname my Pokemon:)

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
Years
I nickname all my Pokémon. My current team is: Sejuani(Mamoswine), Morgana(Noivern), Faron(Milotic), Link(Serperior), Simba(Pyroar) & Gohma(Galvantula).

It's basically nmes inspired by "League of Legends", "The Legend of Zelda" and "The Lion King".

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I only nickname pokemon when they are on my main party.

my latest team

Kaito- shiny Vanilluxe
Lee-Greninja
Luneon-Talonflame
Celina-Scrafty

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
On my first play-through of games, I don't. If I restart, I tend to nickname them. I don't know why I do that, but I do haha. I usually nickname the most when I participate in challenges. I'm also really bad at picking good nicknames, so they suck for the most part haha.

Cyraina

I usually nickname EVERY Pokemon that I catch, but I've decided not to nickname them all at this point. It gets tiring, and I end up naming them weird or stupid stuff. Also, I'm only catching Pokemon now just to try and complete my pokedex, and I don't think that people trading me would be happy with pokemon being nicknamed all the time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I don't ever really nickname Pokemon only because I like their names and don't really care too. I have only nicknamed two and both incidences it was because I didn't like their names. I nicknamed a Purrloin, Purritty in Black 2. This was just one to go in the box.

The second one is currently on my team in Y, I nicknamed a Skiddo, Juneau. Because I hated the name Gogoat.

Last edited:
Years
No, I never do. For some reason, I like just having their regular name. I also hate it when I trade Pokémon and the Pokémon I get has a nickname.

Years
I only do this during challenges. Especially the event challenges with holiday themes!

I mean, if it's christmas, uhh, I will nickname everything I love about christmas, especially nostalgic references.

Winter Sawsbuck/Stantler = Rudolph/Prancer/Blitzen ect.

Years
I only nickname ones I'll use or ones that I really like, if they're just for Pokédex purposes I don't tend to nickname them. My nicknames are based on what they look like to me based off an existing creature (like I always call my Moltres "Fawkes" after Fawkes the Phoenix in Harry Potter); if I read something in their Pokédex entry that inspires me or something really basic like shortening their name (Articuno to Artie for example).

My favourite nickname I ever gave was to my Treecko in Emerald, which I called Gex after the game on the N64 :) It was the first one that actually made sense (as compared to some of my previous attempts, such as calling my Haunter "Giggles" lol) because they're both based on geckos :)

I don't know if it helps but I've used three of the Pokémon you've listed, and the nicknames I used were Smokey (Charizard); Yuxie (pronounced "Yook-see" for Clefable) and Froggles (Greninja) xD I know they're terrible haha but you're welcome to use them if you see fit :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I used to nickname all of my Pokemon. I no longer nickname all of them, as it takes too long to name eggs that I'm hatching (and nicknaming them tends to kill their trade value), but I still nickname all of the Pokemon I intend to use. I use the same name for my starter every time, and then just use whatever comes to mind for the others. I used to just take part of a Pokemon's name to make a nickname (e.g., Spearow = Spear, Geodude = Geo, etc.), but then I became more creative. I suppose I nickname Pokemon because it customizes them further, and helps me become more attached to them.

If you're looking for nickname ideas, some themes that work well include history, mythology, and words in foreign languages. Or, just pick one theme for your team and try to name all of your Pokemon accordingly.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I like to give all the Pokemon that I use a lot nicknames, since it makes them a little more unique, especially if they're a Pokemon species that I find myself using a lot, like Dragonite. The nicknames that I choose tend to be one-word nicknames that usually are somewhat related to the Pokemon or have nothing really at all. Some names that I like are Morpheus (Dusknoir), Atlas (Salamence), Pandora (Espeon), Minuet (Lilligant), Nixie (Jellicent), and Toph (Flygon). Some of the names are pretty random but they fit to me! ^^

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 12, 2015
I always nickname every pokemon, and I love having naming themes cc: especially in challenge runs and nuzlockes.
one time I did a mono-grass run where I named all my pokemon after cakes and had a vileplume called charlotte.
some of my favourite names were from a white 2 locke. I had an (awesome) watchog called eye scream and an audino called nyuszi.
trying to remember some of my xy names... ;;
ningyo (florges), called it this because florges looks like a mermaid.
carnifex (heliolisk) I thought the black part of its head looks like an executioner's hood.
hera (shiny kangaskhan)
marle (female abomasnow) chrono triggerrrr

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I never thought of it back in my older runs but I started to nickname my story teams quite often when I picked up my replacement copy of Fire Red back in 2008, my first nicknamed Pokémon being my Charmander named Efreet.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I do this more so these days. Sometimes my names are silly or just plain dumb, but I don't care. I do that with the trainer name after all as well. :V

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I give nicknames to Pokemon which I have grown attached to and believe will be permanently on my team. The nicknames are usually based on gender, the type of Pokemon they are, what they look like, what they can do, and so on and so forth. Also, I nickname Pokemon with hidden abilities so I can differentiate them from those with ordinary abilities.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 11, 2014
When I started playing back with Red/Blue, I would never nickname my Pokémon. I thought that their species names were so unique and cool that changing them wouldn't do them justice. I remember specifically that the Farfetch'd that you had to trade for was named Dux, and I wished that I could change it. I recently started playing Silver again and continue to not give Pokémon nicknames. I think that if I hadn't started playing Pokémon until now I might have liked giving nicknames, but I find myself sticking to my original mindset.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Hi there, Rebel!

I'm sorry to say this, but unfortunately, we are not allowed to post in threads that are over a month old in Pokémon Gaming Central, as it's against our community rules. If we wish, however, we are free to re-create the topic any time we like (so long as there already isn't another thread on it).

If we haven't done so, I'd recommend ourselves to quickly skim through the forum rules thread when we have time, so that we would know our way around PC a little better.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back