• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Editing Trainers (Image + Palette)

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Hey PC, My name is Edens Elite and I'm a little bit of newby to this site. But for the last while I've been trying to figure how to edit trainers, and I finally figured it out and I'm glad to share it with you guys ^.^

Ok, Lets begin with Requirements;

You will need...

• A ROM (duh!)
  • Your Trainer to insert (Double obvs.)
  • FSF (Free Space Finder) - Link
  • UnLZ - Link (Note: UnLZ is included among other programs in this link
  • Irfanview - Link
  • APE (Advanced Palette Editor) - Link
  • MS Paint
  • VBA (Triple Lol ikr)
  • Pedit (PAL to ACT Converter) - Link
Ok, got all that? Lets dive right in.

1.bmp

Ok, These are the two trainers I am going to be using in my hack. The first thing I need to do is to separate them. Open up paint and paste one of the trainers in. Adjust the canvas so it is 64x64 pixels, then give it a background colour that you have not used in the trainer. You should end up with something like this
Spoiler:

Done that? Good now save the image

Spoiler:

Now you saved it, open the image up in Irfanview

Spoiler:

Now we need to Index the image properly and make the first colour of the palette the background colour. If you already know how to do this, skip the spoiler.

Spoiler:

Now were going to export our palette to use later. Sorry the screeny is screwy :S

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now open up Pedit. Then go to File > Open Palette

Spoiler:

Then just go back to File and click 'Save Palette'. .ACT should be the first default option. The reason we do this is because .PAL files are unreliable and require more effort to use in APE (The palette editing tool) but .ACT nearly always work perfectly.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now open up UnLZ. Click File > Load ROM and select the ROM you shall be inserting the trainer into. In the text box next to 'Goto' type in 1653 and you should roughly be in the trainer area of the ROM use the 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to find the trainer your editing. Also note (seriously, write down) the Image offset located at the top

Spoiler:

Click import and select your file. Watch out as this program is very buggy and will crash a lot. I noticed it only ever crashes when you are importing and leave it idle for a second or two. So to avoid it crashing, click on random files until you spot your one and then double-click it.

Spoiler:

You should see your Sprite there. If there is an error the image has been most likely indexed incorrectly.

Spoiler:

Click 'Write to ROM' and then click 'OK'.

Spoiler:

If it appears to have worked fine, skip the following spoiler.

Spoiler:

All that is left to do now is edit the palette, it's easy but many people mess it up because of one little mistake I'm going to show you. Open up APE and go to file > Open ROM, you know the drill by now.

Spoiler:

See the text box next to 'Offset (Hex)'. Type in that number I told you to write down earlier. (Don't say I didn't tell you.) In my case it was 00E67280, this is the offset for the male hero. Watch out by the way as for some reason UnLZ tells you the palette for the male and female hero is the same. This is wrong. To see a mini-directory of APE offsets, go to the bottom of the page.

Spoiler:

Now click Load.

Spoiler:

See all the pretty colours that just appeared. notice how some of text boxes are red etc. This is the mistake. DO NOT EDIT THIS PALETTE. Because this image L277 Compressed it's palette is a little weird (Sidenote: Any image that looks normal i.e Looks like it would in-game is L277 Compressed) If you attempt to edit this palette it will warn you it is unsafe to do so, listen to it as if you click ignore the game will freeze the second it tries to load the sprite, battle, trainer card anything.

So how do you get around this? Check the 'Compressed Palette (L277)' option and then click the mini-arrow to go back and then click the other arrow. So basically you took a step backwards and forwards so you are in the same spot, except now the palette is normal, like in the image below. We edit this palette.

Spoiler:

Now click the little palette icon at the bottom. (Hover your cursor over it and it should say import.)

Spoiler:

Under 'Files of type' click the little arrow and select '.ACT', Now locate your ACT palette you made earlier and click open.

Spoiler:

Click Replace and then Load.

Spoiler:

The Two sections should now be identical.

Spoiler:

Now check to in-game.

Spoiler:

All Good? Yaaaaaaay

UnLz Numbers

Please note each ROM differs, but they should be located roughly in the area.

149- All Eight Badges
191- World Map- Good Luck with it, though!
208- Titlescreen Movie Text :2004-Pokemon, 1995-Nintendo...
211- Titlescreeen Movie Text 2 :GAMEFREAK
212- GAMEFREAK Logo
213- Titlescreen Movie Animation : stars (1st slide)
214- See 214- 2nd slide
215- See 214- 3rd slide
216- Titlescreen Movie Text 3 :PRESENTS
217-238- Gengar + Nidoran Intro
280-301- Images when entering an area, eg. Diglett's Cave, Viridian Forest..etc.
419-430- All kinds of Pokeballs.
472- Digits (1,2,3,) that show up via elevator, etc.
Big Gap- Attack Anis
574- the In-Battle EXP/Lv. Box. Only has these 2 values.
576-578- same, but w/out the EXP bar.
579- same, w/out any values.
Gap-More Attack Anis
589- UGLY CURSE ANI.
Gap- see 2nd gap reason
648-649- UGLIEST EVER. SUBSTITUTE FRONT + BACK.
651- Yeah! My fav! Stat Up/Down Animations.
Super Gap- Trainer Sprites, Attack Anis.
1687-IMPORTANT FOR UN-POKEMON GAMES- the pokeball behind your Pokemon in the Pokemon Menu. Pic coming.
1688- "Cancel" option on the Pokemon Menu
1689- Status Afflictions
1695- Male Bag
1696- Female Bag
1702- TMs & HMs
1706- Berry Bag
1720-1932- All items, in HEX ORDER. (0= Masterball) Sorry if that isn't put right, didn't know any other way to put it.
Gap-idk, that's how I wrote it on paper
1968- Trainer Card
1969- Player's Status Menu Trainer Card
1972*- Probably a Pokedex menu
1973- Modes in Pokedex.
1974- Pokemon Summary Wiindows, 1,2,3.
1975+1976- HP bar and EXP bar in summary menu.
1983- Status Afflictions in Summary Window
1987- Commands; In-Battle Pokemon Menu eg. Switch,Send..etc.
1991-2002- Berry Glitch Text and Tilemaps.
2009- "Pokemon Fire Red Version" Titlescreen Text
2011- Titlescreen Charizard
2013- Titlescreen text "Press Start,2004 GAMEFREAK"
2016- "All right, Including..." Text
2079- Pokeballs When showing Pokemon in your Party, at the beginning of Battle. Image coming soon

*Credit to Hellsing

APE Offsets

I only have a few, so feel free to post some if I don't have them. I will add more, when I have some free time.

TEXT BOX - 00471DEC
TITLE SCREEN - 00EAE094
TRAINER CARD - 00E99198
OAK INTRO (BG) - 00460568
TRAINER CARD (BG) - 00E991B8
POKEMON TITLE SCREEN LOGO - 00EAB6C4
MALE BACKSPRITE - E76EC1
FEMALE BACKSPRITE - E76EE9
BAG (NOTE: MALE AND FEMALE SHARE THE SAME PALLETE) 00E83DBC
FEMALE IN-GAME 00E675B4
MALE IN-GAME 00E67280

Newbies Corner

I tried to make this tutorial as beginner-friendly as possible, but if any questions are asked, I will archive them here for future reference.

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
Thanks for the tutorial, helped me out a lot. (UNLZ is a hard program to work with)

One thing, I came across a little trouble with the pallette. I managed to fix it by re-opening UNLZ after editing the pallette's colours, re-importing the image and checking the box 'export pallette'

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Hmm, The main thing is that it's fixed now, but if you could explain your problem a little further I could post it in the newbies corner. Just for future though, avoid using export palette if you can, It makes UnLZ more likely to crash.

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
Years
This is just what I have been looking for! Not just for spriting i'm pretty sure this explains even my World Map problems although I may be back to bug you! Hah. Wonderful dude!

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
Hmm, The main thing is that it's fixed now, but if you could explain your problem a little further I could post it in the newbies corner. Just for future though, avoid using export palette if you can, It makes UnLZ more likely to crash.

The problem I had was it was still using the pallette from the old trainer sprite, as I changed the pallette after I Imported the new sprite.

I've also found out I don't need to use the export pallette function in UNLZ if I change the pallettes before I import the sprite.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
The problem I had was it was still using the pallette from the old trainer sprite, as I changed the pallette after I Imported the new sprite.

I've also found out I don't need to use the export pallette function in UNLZ if I change the pallettes before I import the sprite.

You don't have to export the palette at all. I show you to export the palette using Irfanview, and then if you change the palette before or after it doesn't make a difference.

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
You don't have to export the palette at all. I show you to export the palette using Irfanview, and then if you change the palette before or after it doesn't make a difference.

I'm just changing the pallette before importing the sprite. Although I'm not sure if doing various steps at different times would make a huge difference, I'll have to try a few things out.

Edit: seem to be having trouble editing the rival's first sprite (the one you see in the very first battle), every time I change it (following this guide exactly), the ROM freezes every time I open the menu or leave the hero/heroine's house.

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I'm just changing the pallette before importing the sprite. Although I'm not sure if doing various steps at different times would make a huge difference, I'll have to try a few things out.

Edit: seem to be having trouble editing the rival's first sprite (the one you see in the very first battle), every time I change it (following this guide exactly), the ROM freezes every time I open the menu or leave the hero/heroine's house.

Did you do the L277 step?

Because I just tried it and it worked perfectly for me.

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
Did you do the L277 step?

I'm pretty sure I did, but it's worth another go just in case I didn't.

I'll report back if it's still not working.

Edit: tried it again, this time it doesn't freeze the rom, it just restarts it. Looks like I'll be doing this a while. :P
Edit2: I think I've figured out what might be causing the problem: the image is 64 pixels in height, but only 30 pixels in width... not sure if that makes a difference, though. I'll see what happens when I change it.

Edit3: Yeah, it was a fault of my own, the image size was the thing messing it up. All sorted now.

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I did tell you 64x64 pixels in bold :)

Btw, Gary has three sprites, be sure to replace them all. You can use the same palette and sprite though

Test:

Pokemon%20-%20Fire%20Red.png

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2021
Hm, I'm having the same problem. I can get to the step saying to "Open it back up in Irfanview to check if the BG colour is the same as the first colour in the palette"

But when I check the palette resets itself. I tried exporting the correct palette, but when I place it in I just get the green outline and black background.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I think you may have missed out a step.

Index the file
Copy the file
Then edit the palette
The SAVE the file.
Close Irfanview and open it up in paint
then paste it and save

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2021
I went through all the steps too many times to count, including a retry of the steps you just listed today. No dice though, so it's not that. It seems to put the color depth back up to the highest amount when I reopen it to check the palette after pasting and saving in paint.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Are you running XP? Because I'm not sure if other versions will work.

If you send me the image, I will index it for you.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2021
Ah, that might explain it. I have windows 7. Okay, I'll send you the image.

evulpsyduck

Pokemon Eternal Darkness
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
Ugh..

Ya..I am having the same problem and I swear I followed your steps listed above...I am also using XP so I have no idea what I did wrong :(

Other than that..this is a great tutorial :P

Back