• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mature pokemon game

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
To topic starter:

You aren't alone when it comes to not liking the Fairy type. In my unpopular opinion, its more of a forced type with no sense of context whatsoever because noobs from the older gens started to whine about their parties getting Swept by Outraging Haxorous, garchomps, Salacmences, or Dragonites, which by the way, unlike Gen 1 Psychic type which was unbalanced because of GLITCHES, Dragon types were supposed to be powerful fully evolved beings who'd sweep teams with one outrage. There's context in that. not to mention, Fairy type as a type is still atrocious. Already having a really strong immunity, then HAVING THREE RESISTANCES to the most offensive power types? (Bug, Dark, and Fight).

But I'll be real here. I enjoy the kid friendliness of the Pokemon games in a sense that it connects well to kids and still connects well with the older fans in a way that Power Rangers still do. So basically what im trying to say or blurt out here is that well, there's nothing anyone with the right mind can do about it. Pokemon was all about being kid friendly (whether it be the rather simple game mechanics and the same staple gameplay for every version, and the designs of the creatures) and as anyone may have said it, Gamefreak and Nintendo ISNT FORCING YOU to stay with the franchise. If you really want a more edgy and less kid friendly monster adventure, There's Monster Hunter. There you KILL monsters, not catch and pet them. Heck why bother playing Pokemon if you cannot even stomach its kid friendliness at all. That's basically what most people would probably say 9001 out of 9001 times to topics like this.

So yeah, as much as I would like to have the pokemon games to have a step up in terms of exploring the more serious side of things (Gen 5 and BW1, I thank you for being that), its something we all have to accept. Again, Pokemon connects well with the kids and older fans who still love the franchise. So it would be so out of context to suddenly have a DARK AND EDGEEE Pokemon game.

BladeMaster51

Squirtle Squad aint got nothing on my crew
Years
To topic starter:

You aren't alone when it comes to not liking the Fairy type. In my unpopular opinion, its more of a forced type with no sense of context whatsoever because noobs from the older gens started to whine about their parties getting Swept by Outraging Haxorous, garchomps, Salacmences, or Dragonites, which by the way, unlike Gen 1 Psychic type which was unbalanced because of GLITCHES, Dragon types were supposed to be powerful fully evolved beings who'd sweep teams with one outrage. There's context in that. not to mention, Fairy type as a type is still atrocious. Already having a really strong immunity, then HAVING THREE RESISTANCES to the most offensive power types? (Bug, Dark, and Fight).

But I'll be real here. I enjoy the kid friendliness of the Pokemon games in a sense that it connects well to kids and still connects well with the older fans in a way that Power Rangers still do. So basically what im trying to say or blurt out here is that well, there's nothing anyone with the right mind can do about it. Pokemon was all about being kid friendly (whether it be the rather simple game mechanics and the same staple gameplay for every version, and the designs of the creatures) and as anyone may have said it, Gamefreak and Nintendo ISNT FORCING YOU to stay with the franchise. If you really want a more edgy and less kid friendly monster adventure, There's Monster Hunter. There you KILL monsters, not catch and pet them. Heck why bother playing Pokemon if you cannot even stomach its kid friendliness at all. That's basically what most people would probably say 9001 out of 9001 times to topics like this.

So yeah, as much as I would like to have the pokemon games to have a step up in terms of exploring the more serious side of things (Gen 5 and BW1, I thank you for being that), its something we all have to accept. Again, Pokemon connects well with the kids and older fans who still love the franchise. So it would be so out of context to suddenly have a DARK AND EDGEEE Pokemon game.
Well I am mainly wanting something like xd was it had a dark story. Not only did they succeed in stealing pokemon but they had a machine that allowed you to steal it with your own pokeball.v then they darkened the hearts of the pokemon to make them evil. but I'm wanting it to have more of a skyrim role play feel like open world and then some extra stats. Like a perception stat could actually help Der timing the chance of an attack hitting. Like right now tell me if a pidgey uses sand attack 3 times on your pokemon what is the chance that tackle will hit. then with pokemon like luxray which apparently has the best eye sight in the world of pokemon but it still misses like other pokemon. How does the pokemon with the best eyesight miss with an attack of 95 accuracy? I'm not saying killing pokemon is what I want I mean like make it a bit more obvious that they can die and that our actions do effect the pokemon almost like a pet. And xd was a great game that was a spin off that many people responded to greatly. I don't see why they couldn't make another game like xd just a bit more free

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
It's an interesting concept but honestly, I don't see it being very successful due to Nintendo's target demographic being kids nowadays hence that may not end up selling too well. I may be wrong though given how often this was talked about among fans, at least the ones I talked to over the years.

BladeMaster51

Years
It's an interesting concept but honestly, I don't see it being very successful due to Nintendo's target demographic being kids nowadays hence that may not end up selling too well. I may be wrong though given how often this was talked about among fans, at least the ones I talked to over the years.
I'm honestly tired of exclusives. I have too many systems just for the games I like. I have the n64 ps2 gbc 2 gba sps 1 gba. A wii. 2 xbox 360s and when I get the money I'm getting ps3 ps4 and xbox 1 bc they all have games I like or want to try. Why not have 1 console for it all. They all could make a ton of money too

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I'm honestly tired of exclusives. I have too many systems just for the games I like. I have the n64 ps2 gbc 2 gba sps 1 gba. A wii. 2 xbox 360s and when I get the money I'm getting ps3 ps4 and xbox 1 bc they all have games I like or want to try. Why not have 1 console for it all. They all could make a ton of money too

I see where you're coming from but that would take away part of Pokemon's core in the process, that being trading between others. Sure, you could still do it but if you can already get all of the Pokemon in a single game, what's the point of it then.

BladeMaster51

Years
I see where you're coming from but that would take away part of Pokemon's core in the process, that being trading between others. Sure, you could still do it but if you can already get all of the Pokemon in a single game, what's the point of it then.

No I mean game exclusives like kingdom Hearts being Playstation and ds then pokemon now being primarily just ds. And like fable being xbox exclusive

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well exclusives are what sell systems. While the maker of the Game may benefit, the makers of the consoles would not. Also, having only one console could result in a monopoly for whoever makes it...

On topic: I would like a Pokemon game where the legendary gets badly hurt, or loses it's soul (causing the player to go around and gathering parts of it's soul, or finding a way to heal it.)

Last edited:

BladeMaster51

Years
Well exclusives are what sell systems. While the maker of the Game may benefit, the makers of the consoles would not. Also, having only one console could result in a monopoly for whoever makes it...

On topic: I would like a Pokemon game where the legendary gets badly hurt, or loses it's soul (causing the player to go around and gathering parts of it's soul, or finding a way to heal it.)
Great idea

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I wouldn't mind seeing a Mature Pokemon game. I think it would be kind of cool if it was an individual franchise of Pokemon games, sort of like the "Mystery Dungeon" games are a different franchise from the main collection of Pokemon games.
I think there is definitely a potential market for it, and there's probably more than a fair share of pokemon fans that are old enough for a mature game. I personally think it takes a relatively mature mind to understand all the mechanics and conditions with playing the game competitively. Since the competitive game play is relatively mature, why not scale some overall gameplay to that level of thinking as well?

I think it would be neat for a set of pokemon games to have more mature themed stories and overall noticeably more mature characters and dialogue, maybe focus it on being centered mainly around competitive play. They could push the more mature games further into competitive play, emphasize the ruthlessness of other trainers as well as players. Then they could make the normal pokemon games more focused around collecting the monsters, raising them, and continue to have the mild stories for smaller kids to still enjoy without being overwhelmed by all of the competitive aspects of the game.

Plus the idea is such a crash grab anyways, I couldn't see why GameFreak wouldn't be interested in this. Obviously players are going to want to get both types of games so that their collection of games and pokemon teams could be to the max potential that they should be, thus double the money. We all know those little kids are going to beg their parents to get the slightly more mature games anyways.

I think however, the game series should not have adult themes in it though. I think the best a Pokemon game could do is a teen rating. I really would rather not see, sexual themes, obvious murder (implying murder which other games have done, is okay, but no doing it outright in front of the player during a cutscene), or large amounts of cursing. Nothing should be added that could be considered outright offensive. I think it would be smarter just to have a more dark or mysterious mature tone to the theme and story of the games. I think the most mature a Pokemon game would be able to get away with is some kind of Teen rating or something.

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
A awesome as it be, I don't think Nintendo and Gamefreak would risk the game's image to make a mature game. However if they did, I would really want it to be a game gased on the Red and Blue manga. Which is dark but maintains a good story.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
A awesome as it be, I don't think Nintendo and Gamefreak would risk the game's image to make a mature game. However if they did, I would really want it to be a game gased on the Red and Blue manga. Which is dark but maintains a good story.

How could the company be worried about its game's image when one of their most recent game's villain groups had a story focused around mass genocide? I think worrying about ruining their image is a tad bit unrealistic considering the pokemon games have always had minor dark undertones to their story. I mean come on, Team Rocket has always been one of the most ruthless representations of the Mafia within the Pokemon games. It has never ruined their image before, why would it start now?

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
How could the company be worried about its game's image when one of their most recent game's villain groups had a story focused around mass genocide? I think worrying about ruining their image is a tad bit unrealistic considering the pokemon games have always had minor dark undertones to their story. I mean come on, Team Rocket has always been one of the most ruthless representations of the Mafia within the Pokemon games. It has never ruined their image before, why would it start now?
It's not like they publicly said" Buy this game and watch this man attempt to mass murder everyone. " They keep it secrete and unless you play it, you wouldn't know that happens. This still protects their image and they had said they want to keep it friendly to begin with.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I don't think a game needs to be dark and edgy and full of blood and mass murder in order to be mature. There's really no need for overexaggerating something like that just to conform the "rule of cool".

There are a lot of other things that can make the games look more mature, without having to give up the E for Everyone thing, however. All they really need to do is, put more effort into the world they are creating and in the characters that you meet in the games. Just fill up those empty bookshelves with interesting ingame lore, instead of random magazine titles, make those NPCs tell the player about something that doesn't break the Fourth Wall and that's actually interesting and not written by Captain Obvious (they could even do some everyday stuff, but with animated sprites; that gives the world more of a feeling to be alive), give opponents more value than just random beatup fodder (especially Gym Leaders; seriously, why can't they be more involved in the story than just waiting to be beat up by you and be completely forgotten afterwards), give the player's rivals more character development that fits well with the story and not just those one dimensional "I love Pokemon"-"happyhappy"-rivals who do what they do, because of "power of friendship", or those jerk rivls who are jerks, because they are jerks.
Or what about your own Pokemon? Even after six generations, all they really are, is some sort of gameplay element. Neither Supertraining nor Pokemon Amie are part of the story, same can be said of the battles, which kind of seem as filler gameplay sections between plot segments. It would be kinda cool if something similar to those chatting features from some of the Tales of games existed, just more fitting to a Pokemon setting

All in all, putting more effort into the Pokemon world and giving it more complexity and a feeling of being alive would make the games a lot more mature, without anyone having to worry about who's the target group. Downside of that: it would take a lot longer to develop such a game, so they wouldn't be able to throw out one game per year CoD-style, like they seem to be doing recently.

Reactions: Nah
Back