• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks dude, I'm downloaded Creative Element Power Tools and used it now I can assembly song. But now I has a new problem here, I assembly music to my Fire Red Rom and I test to play the music, the music sound is diffrent with my midi files sound, it's be "urgly" sound. How to make it sound same as my midi sound?

Thanks!

You need to find a tutorial about how to add voicegroups to FireRed then. The game uses a specific voicegroup for it's songs, not those that your MIDI uses. I don't know how to add voicegroups into Firered, but search for a tutorial. I don't think you can get your songs to sound 100% right, sadly, but the best you can do in the worst case scenario is try to use the same instruments as Firered in your songs.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
How do I get a script to run as soon as the game starts. I want to run a script the second Oak's Speech ends and I'm transported to the Overworld.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Hey, I wanted to know if someone has a list of the trainer battle music that's on A-Trainer, or if someone can give me a link for it, it would be much appreciated.
Also, how do you get leader battles to play the leader music while you're fighting them?

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
thanks Ark_Silvanos.
I'm waiting for answer to: it is possible to make script which removed some player's pokemon 4ever? sorry for trouble and thanks for help.

Banjora Marxvile had a good idea, to make use of the daycare scripts. Here is a link to a post by JPAN on the different special scripts in the game. Luckily, it seems as though the process of putting a pokemon in the daycare uses several of these. There are two in particular that seem like they will help you. 176 removes a pokemon (I would assume set by 0BC or 09F, the same as the other one, 0BB, that works for the daycare that can take two) from your party and puts it at the cerulean daycare address. I would think that this is just some variable that has no protection, meaning that if you use the script before the daycare is available, you should have no issues (you should obviously make sure, check the daycare script to see if flags or variables are used). Now, this would require the player to select the Pokemon themselves, but there is another special command, 147, that places a pokemon's pokedex number in a variable. It references the same variable that 0BC an 09F use, but I am unsure if they write what it reads, I am assuming that they write the Pokemon's party number and it reads which one that is, but I can't test it right now. If that is so, all it requires is for you to throw in a compare variable command between special 09F and 147 to make sure they chose the right one.

I think this is enough for you to start playing around a bit. This is of course just a shot in the dark, but it seems to me that it should work. BTW, that link to the specials study is invaluable when you want to do something like this. It is one of my first steps when making a new script.

EDIT: I found a special that "checks for a pokemon species in the party. pokemon number wanted is stored in 0x8004, returns to given variable 0x1 if there is one," special 0x17c. I am not sure what numbers correspond to which Pokemon, but a few minutes of testing should help with that. To use it, you would set the number of the Pokemon you need to variable 0x8004 (setvar 0x8004 0xXXXX, not sure how many numbers, make sure it is in hex) then follow it up with special2 0xXXXX 0x17C replacing the XXXX with the variable. You would then make the special to remove the Pokemon only continue/activate when that variable has a value of 0x1.
Good Luck.

Hey, I wanted to know if someone has a list of the trainer battle music that's on A-Trainer, or if someone can give me a link for it, it would be much appreciated.
Also, how do you get leader battles to play the leader music while you're fighting them?

IIRC, the battle music is determined by the type of trainer battle you are using. he bold one there:

trainerbattle 0xX 0xXXX 0x0 pointer1 pointer2 (sometimes)pointer3

Pointer1 goes to what the trainer says when they see you, I think, the second is for after the battle before the battle screen closes and the last, when applicable, is for continuing the script after the trainer is defeated, as in a gym battle. Anyway the type of music depends on that value and I think that 0x1 is the value needed for a gym battle. Easy way to find out is to go to a gym leader in a vanilla rom and check his/her script, which should be something that you do often, checking scripts similar to yours to find out how to do them (not that I think that applies here). You may already know this but if theres a chance it could help, might as well try.

Good luck.

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I installed RTC and day and night on my rom hack. Does that mean I can know make Pokemon evolve with happiness during day or night?

If you're using DNS, you'll be able to have day/night evolutions, IF you install an "expansion pack". First, make sure you have installed the DAN system (the bit that changes the palette to go from bright to dark during the day and night). Secondly, make sure you have the newest version of DNS, go to Tools>DNS-Extensions, and enter in some free space to insert day/night evolutionary capabilities.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
couple ?'s. 1st: in am 1.92 is there a way to have more options for tiles? doesnt seem like there is alot to work with

2nd: i changed the starting pokemon but the rival after the 1st encounter goes back to having the old starter. there a way to change this?

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
2nd: i changed the starting pokemon but the rival after the 1st encounter goes back to having the old starter. there a way to change this?

Do you mean that the battles after the first battle use a different Pokemon? If so, I believe that those battles are of a type that the script that calls the trainer's team changes after you beat them, meaning one trainer ID can call multiple trainer data. For example, the rival uses the trainer IDs 1AA-1B7 in FireRed with the three Champion battle teams elsewhere. So you may want to take a look at those. You can edit these in PET, I forget where to find it, but the Toolbox forum section is a good bet. For me, his name is listed as Terry, though I am using a rombase (Project Unnamed) so it may be listed as something else.

Of course, I am not sure how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Now for a question of my own: Does anybody know of a thread that lists the commands that are compatible with the different types of level scripts? Searching the tutorial section works for some things, but the way it displays the results combined with my internet connection/less-than-state-of-the-art router makes doing a search a lot slower than just asking someone.

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
couple ?'s. 1st: in am 1.92 is there a way to have more options for tiles? doesnt seem like there is alot to work with

I don't believe A-Map 1.92 has support for adding more tiles, but A-Map 1.95 does. Simply open up the block editor, and go Blocks>Change Amount. Then, enter any number of blocks. Max is 384 for Firered, though...I think Ruby offers support for more in the secondary, but it has less in the primary tileset (In Ruby, town tilesets have the same max amount of blocks as the main one, while in Firered, the main one has more, but the town tilesets have less).

A typical rival script begins by checking which starter you picked, and calling one of three battles depending on which starter you picked. These scripts are easily repeatable, and don't require you to pick from certain trainerbattles...they can be any trainer battle, really.

Edit:
Now for a question of my own: Does anybody know of a thread that lists the commands that are compatible with the different types of level scripts? Searching the tutorial section works for some things, but the way it displays the results combined with my internet connection/less-than-state-of-the-art router makes doing a search a lot slower than just asking someone.

I can give you somewhat of an impromptu list, although it's not necessarily complete.

For traditional "On entering map"-type level scripts, your best bet is to use flag setting, unsetting, and checking commands, as well as their respective variable counterparts. Additonally, setworldmapflag for Firered works fine, as well as movesprite2, spriteface, and spritebehave should work fine as well.

For "setmaptile"-type level scripts, you can use the flag commands, variable commands, setmaptile, and special 0x8E. I'm not too sure what else can be used, since I only use this type for setmaptile. I believe it differs from the above because it's executed sooner after entering a map.

For type [02] level scripts, you can use pretty much any command you want that works for, say, a signpost or an OW. These differ from the above two because they execute once warping has finished, and they're also toggled on and off by variables.

For type [04] level scripts, you can pretty much only use spriteface and end. I've also found a few specials will work as well, such as the turn-hero-into-surfing OW, as well as the turn-hero-into-biking OW. These differ because they're executed before warping finishes, meaning they execute before the screen fades from black to normal.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I don't believe A-Map 1.92 has support for adding more tiles, but A-Map 1.95 does. Simply open up the block editor, and go Blocks>Change Amount. Then, enter any number of blocks. Max is 384 for Firered, though...I think Ruby offers support for more in the secondary, but it has less in the primary tileset (In Ruby, town tilesets have the same max amount of blocks as the main one, while in Firered, the main one has more, but the town tilesets have less).

Incorrect, Advance Map 1.92 has that exact same option. Ruby allows a max of 512 blocks in the Secondary to Firereds 384

Last edited:
Years
I have a problem. In advance Map I have a route with a entrance to a cave. I put a warp on the cave entrance leading to the inside of the cave but it wont let me walk into the cave. I dont get how to fix it

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
I can give you somewhat of an impromptu list, although it's not necessarily complete.

For traditional "On entering map"-type level scripts, your best bet is to use flag setting, unsetting, and checking commands, as well as their respective variable counterparts. Additonally, setworldmapflag for Firered works fine, as well as movesprite2, spriteface, and spritebehave should work fine as well.

For "setmaptile"-type level scripts, you can use the flag commands, variable commands, setmaptile, and special 0x8E. I'm not too sure what else can be used, since I only use this type for setmaptile. I believe it differs from the above because it's executed sooner after entering a map.

For type [02] level scripts, you can use pretty much any command you want that works for, say, a signpost or an OW. These differ from the above two because they execute once warping has finished, and they're also toggled on and off by variables.

For type [04] level scripts, you can pretty much only use spriteface and end. I've also found a few specials will work as well, such as the turn-hero-into-surfing OW, as well as the turn-hero-into-biking OW. These differ because they're executed before warping finishes, meaning they execute before the screen fades from black to normal.

So, can you see any reason other than implementation why this set of scripts won't work:
Spoiler:

I have a problem. In advance Map I have a route with a entrance to a cave. I put a warp on the cave entrance leading to the inside of the cave but it wont let me walk into the cave. I dont get how to fix it

Are you sure that the tile that you are using is set up to be used as a warp (if you haven't inserted tiles, this is not why)? To make sure, click the puzzle piece button or tools>block editor or Ctrl+B. Find the tile you are trying to use for the cave entrance, click it and check its behavior byte. If the behavior byte doesn't say something like 'Use warp,' that would be why it doesn't work. Just look around for that and it should work, providing that is the trouble.

If that isn't your problem, I don't know what the trouble is.

Last edited:

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
ok so i've looked in about 10 pages and i wanted to ask some questions.
1. how do you change the textbox in firered?
2. how do you make the player look at the person thats gonna challenge you in firered?
3. how do you change the colors in the intro for firered?
I couldnt find any tutorials on these on the tutorials section)

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2017
So, can you see any reason other than implementation why this set of scripts won't work:
Spoiler:

Are you sure that the tile that you are using is set up to be used as a warp (if you haven't inserted tiles, this is not why)? To make sure, click the puzzle piece button or tools>block editor or Ctrl+B. Find the tile you are trying to use for the cave entrance, click it and check its behavior byte. If the behavior byte doesn't say something like 'Use warp,' that would be why it doesn't work. Just look around for that and it should work, providing that is the trouble.

If that isn't your problem, I don't know what the trouble is.

Regarding the first script the problem is scripts end after a warp, so it doesn't do anything after a warp, you'd need to use 2 level scripts.

The_Show

Banned
Years
I noticed a level script on Route 131 of Pokemon Ruby (you know, the one with Sky Pillar). The level script was:

Spoiler:

XSE said it was basically setmaptile except that it replaces the whole map with a map footer. What are the offsets for map footers (if there is any others) and how could I edit them?

redriders180

Years
I noticed a level script on Route 131 of Pokemon Ruby (you know, the one with Sky Pillar). The level script was:

Spoiler:

XSE said it was basically setmaptile except that it replaces the whole map with a map footer. What are the offsets for map footers (if there is any others) and how could I edit them?

There's a trick somewhere around here about how to find them, although I've noticed that A-Map 1.95 can display these incredibly easily. Open your ROM in A-Map, and instead of going to "From Header", go to "Connection List". Every single map in the game will appear, and at the end of each, you'll see" (CL:X), with X being that value from setmapfooter. Simply convert the setmapfooter from hex to decimal (320 in your case), and scroll down the list to CL:320 (It should say "Unknown Map"). You can then edit it like any other map.

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
Regarding the first script the problem is scripts end after a warp, so it doesn't do anything after a warp, you'd need to use 2 level scripts.

That is weird...that bit after the warp shouldn't be there, didn't really check. In implementation, that variable is the one that starts the script, must have been left over from something. You see, special 0xB4 puts the value of 7 in a selected variable if the last wild Pokemon battle resulted in a caught Pokemon. The first script should only activate after you catch a Pokemon.

And one more question: My world map that I am trying to insert is in the wrong palette and I am unsure how to get it to be in the correct palette. Theoretically, it should be using the same one that the original used, but it looks like
q4skt.png
. And I can't find the correct palette in unLZ and find myself way outside of my experience trying to figure this out.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
mrjimi16 said:
And one more question: My world map that I am trying to insert is in the wrong palette and I am unsure how to get it to be in the correct palette. Theoretically, it should be using the same one that the original used, but it looks like . And I can't find the correct palette in unLZ and find myself way outside of my experience trying to figure this out.

The main palette is at 3EF2DE, and the other ones follow it.

My question: Is there a way to make a game begin with a script (instead of the hero just appearing on a map)?

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
My question: Is there a way to make a game begin with a script (instead of the hero just appearing on a map)?

It depends on what exactly you want the script to do. For example, there is already a script to make the player face up in his room. That is just a simple level script. Of course, you are limited in what you can do with it; what do you want to do with it? Also, how do I change the palette that my world map is using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back