• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Then and Now

Years
How have you changed as a roleplayer between the time you first started and now?

Not necessarily as far as the improvement of your writing ability, since I feel that improvement with time is pretty much a guarantee. Rather how has your style changed? Your preferences? Your dedication and activity? Your characters? Etc. etc. etc.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
When I first started RP'ing (seven, SEVEN years ago on a different site), I was very inclined to make my characters the classic Gary/Mary Sue's. I then went to the super flawed character, but now I just base it around the RP I'm going for. Also I used to write in 3rd person, but prefer to write in 1st person now, I just find it comes easier to me.

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
*whistles* Boy, have things changed. I started roleplaying on this site about five to six years ago. Things such as writing ability have obviously improved, just as you said. However, I also find that I feel much better as a person. I used to be very shy around people, both irl and on here. I always found myself RPing with the same exact people over and over. I don't exactly regret it, but I'm much happier knowing that I've spread out across the forum and will now RP whatever catches my fancy.

I have also noticed that I play a wider variety of characters now than I had originally. I used to play literally two separate characters, a boy and a girl, in literally every RP i attempted to do. Same personalities, appearances, names, and even histories depending on the roleplay. My characters are much more fleshed out now. Obviously, they all have some similarities being my characters, but generally, they all have their own distinct characteristics that divide them. I also play quite a bit more females.

I also used to highly favor Pokemon RPs, but that died down quickly. I will often find myself looking for something high fantasy or sci-fi nowadays. I won't even dare touch the topic of dedication and activity though. That's too scary for me to admit.​

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I have changed surprisingly little. I mean, my writing is a little bit better now but that's marginally. Mostly maybe I have a better feel for distinguishing characters now, I'd like to believe. Characters drive a plot and make a story. Before, I think plot excited me a bit more than chars, but now it's the other way around.

VillageofDragons

On hiatus from PC forever
Years
I have changed surprisingly little. I mean, my writing is a little bit better now but that's marginally. Mostly maybe I have a better feel for distinguishing characters now, I'd like to believe. Characters drive a plot and make a story. Before, I think plot excited me a bit more than chars, but now it's the other way around.

I have to agree with this. Characters IMO right now are WAY more fun to speculate about than the actual plot.

As for me, I've also changed little in how I role-play over the years. I think it's just because I learned how to do it well from the start when I was like, 13. I did have inaccuracies and flaws in my posts back then (and a couple now) on those different forums, but every writer has flaws in their post. It's how you gain experience to erase those flaws what sharpens you and makes you a better Role-player overall.

Back