• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
Hey guys, I'm from the german hacking scene, or better said, what we left from it. My english is not the best, just to warn you.
I hope you guys can help me, I am working for a new project with the encounters of pokemon, my Problem is that I have to know what kind of battle is going on(just a few moments before the battle begins) Is there any Flag in the RAM which could show me if it is a water battle, fishing rod battle or just normal in grass.(Like the four categories of battles each map has its own Encounter Data for)
Hope i can find help, I spent nights in front of my disassembler and debugger, but did not find anything.

~SBird

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Hello everyone. I'm having a frustrating problem with the warps in Advance Map. I'm editing a Fire Red ROM. My problem is when I try to go through the warp the screen goes black and there is no music (the game appears to have frozen/crashed). I'm %100 positive the warp events between the two maps match up (by clicking goto on both maps). I've tried matching the tile sets of the maps exactly but the problem is still occurring. I asked this question a while back and no one knew what was wrong. Well if anyone has any suggestions on what I can try to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.
There's probably something wrong on the map you are warping to. Maybe a levelscript, or an event with the wrong settings. Try warping to a different map first, if that works, it something on the map you were first warping to that's wrong. Then take away all the events and keep adding them one by one till you find out what's causing the problem. Once you find out what's causing it, come back here, unless you can fix it yourself :)

OMG!
I get this error when starting a program! I can see that it says something but I can't read it help!
COMDLG32.OCS-Portable-App-Err.gif
You're probably opening sappy right? Download sappy from here. This sappy has to be installed first. Do that, and once you're finished, you can run the version that you get the error with now.

If it's not sappy, then tell us what program you can't run, and we'll try and help you.

Vittorini

Expert Trainer
Years
There's probably something wrong on the map you are warping to. Maybe a levelscript, or an event with the wrong settings. Try warping to a different map first, if that works, it something on the map you were first warping to that's wrong. Then take away all the events and keep adding them one by one till you find out what's causing the problem. Once you find out what's causing it, come back here, unless you can fix it yourself :)

Firstly I really want to thank you for your help! :) But the problem is still happening even though I have a better idea of what's going on. The problem is with the map I am warping to. I tried warping to a different map and it worked.

I made sure there are no level scripts on either of the maps. I deleted all the events on the problem map I'm trying to warp to but still the screen goes black and the music dies. Man this is stupid lol. Why won't it work?!

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I know NOTHING of 4th/5th gen hacking, but I was wondering if HeartGold and SoulSilver's Japanese Game Corner data is left in the American version. I want to know if there's any hope of hackers bringing it back.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Firstly I really want to thank you for your help! :) But the problem is still happening even though I have a better idea of what's going on. The problem is with the map I am warping to. I tried warping to a different map and it worked.

I made sure there are no level scripts on either of the maps. I deleted all the events on the problem map I'm trying to warp to but still the screen goes black and the music dies. Man this is stupid lol. Why won't it work?!

I would be willing to say your ROM is trashed, my good friend.
**edit**
OR there's some crucial setting in the maps header that is set incorrectly.
I would advise changing the map and seeing if you still crash, as Lyzo suggested. If it crashes, your ROM is screwed. Otherwise, you probably need to re-do your map on a different bank/etc.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
So decrease the original sprite to 16, copy it, edit the pallete by switching background with black and black with background, save, open post-pallete in Paint, then paste the pre-pallete over it? I think I did that but no luck so far, unLZ keeps saying it's not Indexed.
Wait, lemme get this straight...

Your problem is that when you convert it to an indexed image in IrfanView, the wrong color ends up being transparent -- black instead of yellow, yes? If this is your problem, then I can send you some instructions on how to create an indexed image with the proper palette using GIMP.

nope.avi

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2022
Wait, lemme get this straight...

Your problem is that when you convert it to an indexed image in IrfanView, the wrong color ends up being transparent -- black instead of yellow, yes? If this is your problem, then I can send you some instructions on how to create an indexed image with the proper palette using GIMP.

I believe that's what's happening. I use GIMP fairly often so I would love those instructions, thanks.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I believe that's what's happening. I use GIMP fairly often so I would love those instructions, thanks.
Open the Palettes dialog. (Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Palettes)

Create a new palette.

Create a new color from the foreground color. Do this sixteen times, for a sixteen-color palette. (Right-click in the Palettes window, or use the new icon (folded paper) in the Palettes window.)

Double-click a color to edit it. Manually enter all of your colors into the palette; make sure that the color that you wish to be transparent is the first color in the palette.

Once this is done, save your palette. Give it a name you'll remember.

Paste your image into GIMP.

Image -> Mode -> Indexed...

Radio button: Use custom palette.

Select your palette.

Uncheck "remove unused colors from colormap".

Convert.

That should do it for you. Just save it as a BMP after that. (Or PNG. If PNG doesn't work, do BMP.)

Years
Hi, first post ever.

New to ROM hacking and Pokemon hacking, so I'm sorry in advance lol...

Can somebody point me to a good program to edit/create moves for III gen?

And

With what program or how can I edit type chart match ups and effectiveness (Fire vs Water, super effective vs not very effective, etc)? For gen III as well. Fire Red to be specific.

I plan on earning my wings by getting experience before even attempting any kind of hacking project or advanced hacking techniques, so I'm planning on editing a Fire Red ROM for personal play for now.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2022
Open the Palettes dialog. (Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Palettes)

Create a new palette.

Create a new color from the foreground color. Do this sixteen times, for a sixteen-color palette. (Right-click in the Palettes window, or use the new icon (folded paper) in the Palettes window.)

Double-click a color to edit it. Manually enter all of your colors into the palette; make sure that the color that you wish to be transparent is the first color in the palette.

Once this is done, save your palette. Give it a name you'll remember.

Paste your image into GIMP.

Image -> Mode -> Indexed...

Radio button: Use custom palette.

Select your palette.

Uncheck "remove unused colors from colormap".

Convert.

That should do it for you. Just save it as a BMP after that. (Or PNG. If PNG doesn't work, do BMP.)

It worked!! Thanks man, and everyone! You guys are Alakazam smart.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I eventually found the programs I was looking for after a long search.

I am still looking for one program though.

Does anybody know a wild Pokemon location editor for Fire Red?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I eventually found the programs I was looking for after a long search.

I am still looking for one program though.

Does anybody know a wild Pokemon location editor for Fire Red?
You can edit wild data on a per-map basis using AdvanceMap. A warning, before you do:

Never remove wild data from a map. You will corrupt it if you do, making it impossible to ever edit that map's data again.

If you need to remove wild data from a map, just set the "Encounter ratio" to 0. From my understanding, that determines the likelihood of finding a wild Pokemon whenever you step in a tile of grass.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Does anyone know how to export all sprites in a rom at once??
like every pokemon sprite ive inserted in my hack i want to export them now...but im to lazy to export them one by one so is it able with NSE or another tool to export the pokemon sprites all at once?

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years

Before you think the ROM is trashed... Try to change the music of the map, to the same music on the previous map. I think I've had this problem before, that music crashed the game somehow :P Otherwise, I also have no idea, and like Full Metal said, maybe your ROM is trashed.

EDIT:
I myself am having a problem with the connections within AdvanceMap 1.95...
Spoiler:

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Anbuja, export them as Sprite Libraries, You still have to export every sprite, but no every frame.

Vittorini

Expert Trainer
Years
Before you think the ROM is trashed... Try to change the music of the map, to the same music on the previous map. I think I've had this problem before, that music crashed the game somehow :P Otherwise, I also have no idea, and like Full Metal said, maybe your ROM is trashed.

I think I might have found what's wrong. All I can say is I'm an idiot because I wasn't using the newest version of Advance Map and after I updated I took another look at the map I was trying to warp to. As I clicked on said map, a warning message popped up saying: "The Map footer is not saved at an Offset divisible by 4, this can cause the map to be black in the ROM." Now I just have a small question, the offset this message was talking about is the map bank? Because the bank for the map was 43 which is not divisible by 4.

Anyway I learned my lesson lol. Always be sure you are using the most up to date version of hacking software :P. I haven't tried messing with it yet so I guess I will edit and let you all know if I have it fixed!

EDIT: It worked :D! So I moved the map to a bank number that was divisible by 4 and I was able to warp back and forth between the two maps with no problem! Thanks everyone for the help! I'm happy we figured this out. Happy hacking! Cheers!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
ok as far as i know, this has not been answered yet...

ok, heres my only "simple" question... im trying to edit the background and i have all the things set up but i cant edit the pallet, so the battle background looks like crap!
i wanna change the pallet for image 4 in unLZ from fire red BPRE. how do i do this (mainly i need to know the offset of the pallet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back