• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batmanace00

Banned
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2010
Can anyone help me out I downloaded a rom hack called pokemon emerald tg but so far it does not look like a hack has anyone downloaded that has the same rom?

Batmanace00

Banned
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2010
Are you sure you patched it? Try talking to people. If the girl in oldale town that gives you the potion looks like the big fat yellow dude, it works. If not, try getting the patch and use Lunar IPS to patch it. (LIPS for short) I looked on YouTube and I see what this hack is.

I'm Waiting to see what you have in store! Phew... Avoided a double-post. Copy/Paste FTW!

it is not a ips it is a gba rom

Batmanace00

Banned
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2010
I have only got it today and i got the pokeballs and pokedex that is as far as i have gotten team fail.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I think Fakemon is shunned upon because...

• Most of their designs are horribly made.
  • It doesn't gain enough exposure.

Like when Bonsly was first released, I was like "OMFG EW WTH IS THAT".
    A few months later, all the official stuffs came up, and I started liking it.

• They are only found on one single game; you can't trade them to other games.
  • There is absolutely too much Fakemon to make them memorable.
You're just a tad ignorant, huh? Point one: THIS IS TOTAL BIASED ********. Saying most Fakemon look like hell would be like me saying all gen IV Pokemon are ugly.
Point Two: Who gives a rat's ass about how much exposure they gain?
Point Three: This is true, however, how many people actually trade Pokemon from hacks to other games, on an emulator?
Point Four: Biased ******** yet again.

If the Fakemon are good, WHAT DA HELL IS WRONG WITH THEM?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
If the Fakemon are good, WHAT DA HELL IS WRONG WITH THEM?

There may be nothing intrinsically wrong with them but that doesn't mean that people can't dislike them. Similarly, even if a hack has very well-done, custom tiles, I (hypothetically) may not play it simply because I might not like custom tiles, regardless of their quality. Some people, myself included, prefer the comfort of the familiar.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
There may be nothing intrinsically wrong with them but that doesn't mean that people can't dislike them. Similarly, even if a hack has very well-done, custom tiles, I (hypothetically) may not play it simply because I might not like custom tiles, regardless of their quality. Some people, myself included, prefer the comfort of the familiar.
Alright, you got me there. I can understand where you're coming from. :)

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I'm Waiting to see what you have in store! Phew... Avoided a double-post. Copy/Paste FTW!

Also... on the Berry Glitch... What happens if the patch isn't applied? I patched mine, so I'll never know. I think it's that berries won't grow after the battery dies, but I may be wrong. I also thought it fixed time-based events... I think I'm wrong, though.

Damn, damn, damn! It looks like I got carried away by my own excitement. I'm sorry =/
The reason is that I said the ROM would be patched. However, a Read-Only Memory cannot be modified, obviously. The said bytes, however, are actually a fix to the glitch. I did a bit of research and, as expected, those bytes are part of a routine used to calculate the elapsed days. Like I said earlier, later ROM releases and Emerald share the same patterns. So, what does the patch changes exactly? I'm not totally sure yet, but I have a theory. At the moment I cannot test whether is right or not; I'll let you know as soon as possible (if you got a flash cart, and way to link two games, one being R/S and the other being FR/LG/E, or any other way to apply the fix, let me know).

As far as I know, the patch cannot be applied till the glitch actually occurred. Don't forget the glitch isn't due to the battery running dry as this would prevent the clock from ever running again. Once the battery run dry, the only solution is to replace it, as you cannot recharge it.

Ok. I saw the oddest thing today:

I was on Bulbpedia looking at HackMew's link to the FR/LG Pokedex Glitch. Interested, I kept reading. I soon found this out:
If you have a bad dump of either game, when you use the ship to Birth Island or Navel Rock (either of the tickets), you'll get this:
Spoiler:

How is this pulled up? Is there a screenshot? Where is this located in the game? What version of the game is it in? I would really like to know! Thanks!

You can read more about it on the article's discussion page.

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Well, I came up with a (possibly working) plan. What I'd do is take a R/S rom and use VBAlink and link it to FR/LG/E. Than, after applying the patch, compare the original rom and the patched rom in a hex editor. I seriously wish I had a flash card... And for subbing the dead battery: change the save type (Remember... If its the wrong save type, the rom will tell you that clock-based events won't occur). That's my take on the concept. I wouldn't know unless I had the time to test it.

I have a flash card, but I cannot link nor I have any way to fix the glitch. VBA Link was suggested already a while ago: won't work. And even if it did, the ROM would not be changed. Also, the save type has nothing to do with the "battery run dry". That happens only when the battery is dead on the original carts, or if the RTC is not enabled on VBA.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
My brother has a GBA flash cart, I have a DS slot 1 one, and I own a copy of Emerald. We only have one GBA, but I could borrow a friend's if needed (or even buy a second-hand one). Is there anything I can help with? :P

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
My brother has a GBA flash cart, I have a DS slot 1 one, and I own a copy of Emerald. We only have one GBA, but I could borrow a friend's if needed (or even buy a second-hand one). Is there anything I can help with? :P

Assuming you got a second GBA, do you have a link cable? Also, about the GBA flash cart... what's the model?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Yeah, we have a link cable. The flash cart is a Super Card SD.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think I'd be able to help... I can't remember whether it allows you to cancel the game booting, in order to allow you to use the glitch fix, but I doubt it.

The fix affects the save file, right? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to change the ROM itself. If so, would it be possible to extract the save of a GBA cart with the fix applied, and compare it to a save from a ROM (or if necessary, the same cart pre-fix)? Does starting a new game erase the fix (probably not)?

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Yeah, we have a link cable. The flash cart is a Super Card SD.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think I'd be able to help... I can't remember whether it allows you to cancel the game booting, in order to allow you to use the glitch fix, but I doubt it.

The fix affects the save file, right? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to change the ROM itself. If so, would it be possible to extract the save of a GBA cart with the fix applied, and compare it to a save from a ROM (or if necessary, the same cart pre-fix)? Does starting a new game erase the fix (probably not)?

AFAIK, you cannot avoid the Super Card SD boot loader, which sucks. I'm pretty sure the save file is affected. I don't see what else could be affected, otherwhise. The best thing would be having a cart suffering from the glitch, dumping the save somehow, apply the fix, and then compare before vs. after. The glitch will only activate once and only once. Fixing it will not bring it back.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
There must be a device to write/read GBA game saves... If you write a blank save file to a cart, that effectively cancels the fix, right? Then, you could start a new game and save. Extract the save, download the fix, and extract it again.

The problem is, I don't have access to anything like that (I don't even know whether such a device exists, though I'd assume so). Unless there's a DS homebrew app that can do it?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
There must be a device to write/read GBA game saves... If you write a blank save file to a cart, that effectively cancels the fix, right? Then, you could start a new game and save. Extract the save, download the fix, and extract it again.

The problem is, I don't have access to anything like that (I don't even know whether such a device exists, though I'd assume so). Unless there's a DS homebrew app that can do it?

Like I said, there's no way to unapply the fix. Once it's fixed, it's fixed forever.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Doesn't that contradict the possibility that the fix modifies the save?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Doesn't that contradict the possibility that the fix modifies the save?

Well, not really. Let's say you had the glitch, and it got fixed. If you start over, the glitch won't happen again. BTW... you don't need anything special to erase the save.
Pressing Select + Up + B at the title screen will do.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I'm pretty sure that Up+B+Select only erases the parts of the save used for the in-game player (and items, badges, Mystery Gifts etc); there's probably data in the save that doesn't get erased when a new game is started, which is used by the fix.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure that Up+B+Select only erases the parts of the save used for the in-game player (and items, badges, Mystery Gifts etc); there's probably data in the save that doesn't get erased when a new game is started, which is used by the fix.

However, the rocket launches do restart if you start a new game. The glitch affects the game's day counter and timer, which are reset when you start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back