• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ew! It's a girl.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
My Vaporeon is always female. I guess it's sort because my cats have always been cuter if they're female. Don't get how that works either.

It really depends on the which pokemon it is. Most ghost and normal types are either way.

The idea of a gigalith laying an egg frightens me a bit. Why you ask? I'm always asking myself "How does a rock do so without breaking the egg?" Then I realize that going any further with that thought would be a liiiiitle too personal...

I've always thought Snivy looked more female than male. Probably because my first thought on hearing the name of it's final evo was "Mother Serperior."

Lazer

Geek in the Pink
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 24, 2014
It doesn't matter to me unless they're specific in a way like I would want a male Ralts for Gallade or female Combee for Vespiquen.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2015
I don't really care about gender unless I had the perfect nickname for one gender. For example, I had the perfect nickname for a female Fennekin, so if I didn't get one on the first try, I would have reset for a female for nickname purposes. I actually like using masculine female and feminine male Pokémon, and I'll usually evolve my male Ralts to Gardevoir, unless it's to fill the Pokedex, or I need a fighting type.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I tend to prefer male Pokémon, at least for my team. I guess I started caring about gender when I read that male Pokémon had better attack stats than females (back in gen II), and I wanted the strongest Pokémon I could get. While I realize that there's no longer an inherent attack IV difference between males and females, it's been hard to break the trend. Also, blue is my favorite color, and ever since they started coloring the male symbol blue, I've wanted to have that next to my Pokémon. (If they went back to having the symbols both be black or something, I probably wouldn't care as much).

The one exception to this is in Colosseum, where every Pokémon I caught had to be female. However, I did that mainly because Ditto wasn't available at the time, and I wanted to be able to breed the Pokémon I got from Colosseum on RS.

Years
I caught a male Gardevoir. I still refer to it as 'her'.
It's one of the Pokémon I just consider 100% female, same with Chansey, Espeon, Jinx, etc.
I would only catch a female version of those if I notice, but I usually don't really care because either way they will do the same things.

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
Years
Honestly, I don't care about gender, unless it's a Pokemon I want to breed- because then I obviously want a female. I never thought gender even mattered outside of breeding aspects, and really I couldn't care less what gender my Pokemon are.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
ingame female is actually better than male because attract is now a good option if you have a moveslot to spare

CyanideEspeon

Strange Woman
Years
It depends on the Pokémon if I want a male or female, especially when gender are involved. For example, I prefer female Hippowdon. If they don't have gender differences, I prefer the more common gender. If the gender ratio is 50/50 and there are no gender differences, I just go by what the Pokémon looks like to me. For example, I can't help but think Sandshrew and Sandslash look feminine.

Sacrament

burn that mother down.
Years
I was going to answer that I'm indifferent towards my Pokemon's genders, but now that I think about it, it seems like that's not the case at all. I faintly remember trying to get a female Ralts in the 3rd gen games, despite its low appearance rate (it was something like five percent if memory serves). I went through two Ralts that were both male before I got a female. I think I spent a couple of hours hunting for a Gardevoir that didn't make me feel awkward, lol.

Then again, I might not be as sensitive to genders as most of you seems to be. I don't recall ever doing the same thing to another Pokemon, though I don't exactly remember having a female Machamp or Mr. Mime either.

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
for me if the pokemon looks male it has to be a male and if it looks like a girl it has to be a girl.

otherwise it's weird to have pokemon that looks male to be female.
they should put in the ability to put a ribbon or something on the female pokemon, to make it girly.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
A gender of a pokemon really doesn't matter to me. Unless, it was specific for getting certain pokemon when you evolve them. Battle wise, I would say that Males and Females perform equally as well.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
As with many, it doesn't much matter to me unless I deem them to be more apt as one gender or another.

Machamp, Graveler, Alakazam, Steelix, Crawdaunt are some that- to my mind- are just male. Inextricably.

Whilst
Ninetales, Gardevoir, Dragonair, Mismagius, Espeon, Lopunny are a few that I have great difficulty seeing as male.

It's stupid, but it often does take priority over anything else whether I choose to catch it or not. I remember spending a few days kicking around Hoenn trying to find a damned female Ralts.

Death

The Pale Horseman
Years
The sex of the Pokemon for me doesn't matter anymore. I got over the 'all my 'mons need to be male' phase of my life during my time playing generation five.

There are select few Pokemon I like being male (or female). Such as if I ever got a Sylveon, it needs to be male and my Milotic must be female.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
. . .there are select few Pokemon I like being male (or female). Such as if I ever got a Sylveon, it needs to be male. . .

Do you want him to be treated as a fairy, koff~

All jokes (a crude one at that) aside, it brings me hope that you just don't care about the genders. There are some that I prefer that are female for breeding purposes. In Pokemon X and Y there are male and female Mr. Mime. . . wut, koffi~

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
I don't really have a huge preference for the gender of my Pokemon. I used to, back in Gen 2 days, because female Pokemon were weaker what with DVs determining gender, but nowadays it doesn't really matter to me unless there's a gender appearance difference and I don't like it. (Ew, female Wobbufett.)

Funnily enough, though, I actually like having Pokemon whose gender conflicts with its appearance. (Male Gothita/Ralts/Buneary, female Machop/Timburr etc.) And I'm always really thrilled when my starter is female because it's quite uncommon.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
I do not care at all about gender. I even ignore it so much, that I don't check the gender before I nickname it, and many times I have gotten something along the line of a female Pokemon named Steve... Or a male Pokemon named Sally. Obviously with better nicknames though.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
Years
I don't really care about the gender unless I am searching for a specific Pokémon to breed. I used to care in G/S/C, but that was only because female Pokémon were weaker for some reason. Like Shizy, I also get excited when my starter is female. I was lucky enough to grab a female Turtwig for my current Diamond playthrough.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 23, 2017
My starter, Shimokane(Froakie), was a female. Not sure if this is common or not because all of my past gen starters were all males.
EDIT: Okay, I see it is quite uncommon. :p

Years
I generally really do prefer male Pokemon over female. But in the long run it doesn't matter that much. After all, they battle in the same way learning the same moves etc etc. The only times where I really do care about gender is when I go to nickname the Pokemon, since I like to give male related names such as 'Rocky'.

Back