• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen My thoughts on Yvetal

Gamefreak089

Thunder Master GameFreak
Years
When I first got him I looked at his stats, wasn't that good had a good move list but lacked the stat/stat gain to back it up. I would say he is up there with mew low stats wise. Can't figure out why Gamefreak made him so weakl.

Years
I don't see anything wrong with it, unless you were unfortunate enough to have ended up with a poor nature and/or IV spread for it. I can tell you I was in a similar situation myself in X, where the Xerneas I caught ended up having 0 Sp. Atk IVs which meant I thought I was forced into giving it physical attacks, and it doesn't help its only STAB moves are all special-based. But still, even if you don't get the best stats you can still use it in-game for fun, it's just that it won't be as good competitively.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
IDK, it doesn't seem that bad to me.

Yveltal's Base Stats:
HP: 126
Attack: 131
Defense: 95
Special Attack: 131
Special Defense: 98
Speed: 99
BST: 680

That BST is on par with many other powerful legendaries. Admittedly base 99 Speed is terribly awkward, and you'd think that a Pokemon that is the embodiment of death and destruction would have offensive stats similar to that of the Mega Mewtwos or something, but then you have Talonflame, which only has base 81 attack but hits like a truck.

Yveltal's got some other things working in its favor. While Dark/Flying gives you weaknesses to 4 common attacking types (Rock, Electric, Ice, and Fairy), it still resists Ghost and Dark, which is great since so little resists those 2 types in 6th Gen. It's actually a pretty good typing offensively. Dark and Flying are really spammable attack types since there's not too much to resist either one, and the only Pokemon I can think of right now that resists both those types is like Bisharp. Flying also hits Fighting super-effectively, which resists Dark.

Dark Aura is also really helpful to it, giving it a boost to Dark attacks in addition to STAB. Yveltal's Dark Pulses and Sucker Punches hit pretty hard, and having a priority move is very helpful to it too. Oblivion Wing sucks out HUGE amounts of health, letting Yveltal stay alive longer while doing damage at the same time. Ground immunity is nice too.

It's far from being the greatest thing ever, but it's still pretty good imo.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
When I first got him I looked at his stats, wasn't that good had a good move list but lacked the stat/stat gain to back it up. I would say he is up there with mew low stats wise. Can't figure out why Gamefreak made him so weakl.

How can you say weak? Stat wise (and not counting mega evolutions) the only thing stronger than it is Arceus (there's 12 other Legendary pokemon that are the same stat level as it) Sure maybe it's defenses are lower, but it's attack is way higher to balance that out.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
^ or Primals (G and K) or formes in the case of Kyurem.
Anyways I agree, Yvetal isn't all that weak, also unlike one of Kyurem's formes it has more use, and is actually Uber (while Black Kyurem isn't despite it's high BST). I would say that it and the other two member's of it's trio don't have the most impressive movepools.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I don't see anything wrong with it, unless you were unfortunate enough to have ended up with a poor nature and/or IV spread for it. I can tell you I was in a similar situation myself in X, where the Xerneas I caught ended up having 0 Sp. Atk IVs which meant I thought I was forced into giving it physical attacks, and it doesn't help its only STAB moves are all special-based. But still, even if you don't get the best stats you can still use it in-game for fun, it's just that it won't be as good competitively.

yveltal is better than xerneas competitively because of its physical tank set (imo). i still have nightmares fighting it.

Anyway I don't see what's wrong with your Yveltal, you need to have it learn Dark-type moves to abuse Dark Aura, as well as Oblivion Wing considering it's a decent STAB with an awesome secondary effect.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
What I personally like most about Yveltal is its design.

Every time I see this Pokémon, it always reminds me of Lugia, which is one of my all-time favorite legendaries. Its wings, way its tail is positioned, and much, much more aspects seem to resemble Lugia's body features a ton. What makes it even better is its dark color-scheme; I feel this is what makes Yveltal sort of unique.

As for stats and whatnot, I don't believe I'd put much thought on them before. I've never used it competitively and don't really plan to (sadly, I do not play Ubers), which might help explain that.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I think that 90 percent of the people who really like Yvetal is probably because of his design. He just looks cooler than Xerneas.

"Cool" seems like a noob word, but it's the truth. I bought Y because I thought the front cover looked cooler than X's cover. That's pretty much it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I pretty much like Yvetal in almost all aspects from design choices, concept, and of course its appearance on the product, though i wished that its signature move Oblivion Wing, as cool as it looks, could have had more base power on it. Though then again, maybe Y players could have thanked that it only has that amount of BP otherwise, its in-game segment of the forced Showdown with it could have caused major problems with it One Shotting most of a player's party while regenerating that amount of HP.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 3, 2020
Best believe it looks way better than the weird blue deer looking pokemon with oversized horns.

LordOfMinecraft

LordOfMinecraft
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
What I personally like most about Yveltal is its design.

Every time I see this Pokémon, it always reminds me of Lugia, which is one of my all-time favorite legendaries. Its wings, way its tail is positioned, and much, much more aspects seem to resemble Lugia's body features a ton. What makes it even better is its dark color-scheme; I feel this is what makes Yveltal sort of unique.

As for stats and whatnot, I don't believe I'd put much thought on them before. I've never used it competitively and don't really plan to (sadly, I do not play Ubers), which might help explain that.

Lugs my favorite as well. Also it seems strange that it is possible for it to be weak when its story makes it seem overpowered. When it dies SUCKING THE LIFE out of the universe to heal itself? Why do we even go after that thing!?! Thankfully we have Arceus to bring back everything including himself. To summarize: :sean:+Yveltal+(:pokeball:-capturing)=UNIVERSE-life, :pink_disbelief: I know shocking, but thankfully: Arceus(:sean:+Yveltal+(:pokeball:-capturing))= Universe. Also stay safe and don't go to the distortion world where you will be unable to leave or die and will be stuck in a world where time and space have no meaning for all of eternity. Of course it could also be for all of a millisecond because once again time and space have no meaning. Honestly it seems like it would be fun after a while!{:3}

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I think that 90 percent of the people who really like Yvetal is probably because of his design. He just looks cooler than Xerneas.

"Cool" seems like a noob word, but it's the truth. I bought Y because I thought the front cover looked cooler than X's cover. That's pretty much it.

There are no words to express how right this post is, so I just quoted you for truth.

Anyhow, Yvetal is not really a competitive Pokemon, but at least is cool to look at lol, not like the ugly deer with the weird horns.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
My thoughts on Yveltal: Taste like chicken. No, not really. Ahem.

Undeniably its stats along its two other peers, Xerneas and Zygarde aren't as great as the likes of Palkia, Kyogre, Rayquaza, etc. But I can't call that weak, 'unimpressive' is more like the right word to describe it.

Back