• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen X/Y at release and after

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
That's how it is for a lot of games unfortunately. They tend to get over-hyped, you get your expectations too high, and then you're a little disappointed when the game doesn't quite live up to the hype/your expectations.

Years
Nope, my opinion on them still hasn't changed. For me they were solid plays in 2013 (except for that one run I had we don't talk about), and they're still solid plays over a year later. Although I haven't had any new runs in 2015 yet, I still like them for their "have it your way" style of the adventure, which i've explained several times.

I've still only beaten ORAS once (although i'm about to finish my second playthrough), so it's too early for me to really pass judgment on them, though.

Years
Zekrom pretty much summed it up. There are cases where people go overhyped and then get let down by disappointment, an example here being the very small number of new Pokemon introduced, and many people were hoping for more than just 72.

And then there's also the postgame being shallow, which is pretty much the case for the first new games of a generation. The reactions many had to the game doesn't stop me from playing them, and I do understand many enjoyed OR/AS better because of the "challenge" but X/Y still has its unique features, like customization and the Friend Safari.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
They were weird games and feel a lot less recent than B/W did when B2/W2 came out. It might be because of how much has happened to me in 2014, but the games feel rather old, especially with their abysmally inconsistent framerate, a rather forgettable region, minimal postgame, questionable mega evolutions.

Just doing a 2nd playthrough of Y and it just pales when compared to OR/AS. Strangely OR/AS wasn't received as well critically as X/Y, but somehow OR/AS for me felt better and somehow more different to past games than X/Y. It's nowhere as forgettable as the entirety of Gen V for me, but definitely one of the weaker main series games (The fact that OR/AS lacks character customization just baffles me still).

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I still enjoy playing X & Y. I think they fulfilled my expectations of the games, and to discount the large step from 2D Sprites to 3D models is a tad reckless. It still surprises me at how cool and fluid the battles are. I am still asserting my Avarice in game and have already amassed 9.2 million Poké. While it may lack certain features that other games have had, they still are one of my favorite regions to explore. It just feels bigger than the others.

blue

gucci
Years
I'll admit I was hyped for about a week after release, and then it sort of dies down for a while. Recently I've been playing Pokemon Y and I've really enjoyed it so far, I definitely still see myself playing these games for a long time after their release.

TheUnit684

Heedrim
Years
I loved X and Y when they came out, and I still do. I would probably play through them more, if it weren't for one thing. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Holy shig, I thought I loved X and Y. The awesomeness of OrAs, despite the slight faults I had with the game, blew X and Y out of the water, and I can't play Y for long before having to go back to get my fill of OrAs.

Years
I'll say, I wasn't even that excited for XY at first, that is until I found out how many Pokémon were going to be present in it. As that guy who likes Pokémon diversity, I stand by saying that XY has that going for it.

As for ORAS? Kind of the same can be said, but my hype for it started to wane down a little early on.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The leaks killed it for me, played it through, and it still stayed dead for me. 69 Pokemon is pitiful, the story is hardly gripping, and there is no side-content to the main game other then the online. Its not a justification no matter how featured it is, this is Pokemon, not Call of Duty. 15 years of meaty single player content to contemplate the multiplayer was doing well, and with ORAS, the games are even poorer shells of a main release. They have to do something about their awful decisions.

Years
Is it odd that at this point I find that people are finding XY to have dulled out even more than BW has and they're getting just as much flack if not more? I mean, the latter games have some pretty aggressive haters but now that ORAS are out it feels like nobody really cares for XY anymore.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Eh, I have similar feelings for X/Y at launch and afterwards. What X/Y did was absolutely stunning presentation-wise, and it showed that Gamefreak is starting to care about the metagame now. The metagame is becoming increasingly important to the fanbase, and the game needs to do its best to show that and outcompete the simulators in that regard. Or shut them down in the process, which I think might be a likely move for Gamefreak in the future for obvious reasons provided they won't lose so many fans in the process that the loss outweighs the gain from that decision (why play the game on the actual hardware and spend what is likely to be a couple of hours at best preparing a team when a simulator can do it in mere seconds?).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When they had first announced these games, I was excited, as expected; I was looking forward to see what they would bring in generation six. Like almost everyone else on here, I've spent much of my time speculating with people, trying to imagine how things would be, and so forth--all of it was fun.

After they've released, I would say they have more or less delivered, at least from my perspective. The story-line seemed to have been a little lacking in my later play-throughs, but at first, I don't believe I had noticed much negatives. In terms of features and mechanics, however, they were rather great; so many new things we've gotten, from mega-evolution, all the way to character customization.

Expanding on plot is the only thing I wish they had done, but hey, I suppose there's always next time.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I think these games are actually worth replaying. I want to play Y so that way I can have another XY team set up, but I don't want to restart my X because I want to complete the dex in that game. I also want to go through trainer customization again, because that was my most favorite thing. Kalos is also my favorite region to travel as well, so even though there will be other games after this one, I'll always end up coming back to these games.

Years
I think these games are actually worth replaying. I want to play Y so that way I can have another XY team set up, but I don't want to restart my X because I want to complete the dex in that game. I also want to go through trainer customization again, because that was my most favorite thing. Kalos is also my favorite region to travel as well, so even though there will be other games after this one, I'll always end up coming back to these games.

Even more than Johto? :P But wanting to complete the Pokédex does not surprise me, at least not if you're into shinies.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
First playing:
8 directions, 3D models, trainer customization, so beautiful!

Months after beating the game:
Ehh, it's okay. Music is kinda boring.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
First playing:
8 directions, 3D models, trainer customization, so beautiful!

Months after beating the game:
Ehh, it's okay. Music is kinda boring.

This is how I feel...and to some extent also feel about ORAS (except ORAS has better music) which is strange considering I highly anticipated them...must be the lack of a post game this Gen (Gen V was the same unlike my Gen III (Emerald) and IV (Platinum, HGSS) games...)
I do want to go back and complete the dex though.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
I was excited for X & Y before launch, and I'm still enjoying X & Y today. Over 600 hours and I still haven't completed the game. As someone with the "Gotta Catch 'em All" mentality, the three Pokédexes with 150 Pokémon each are keeping me quite busy and entertained. And I am probably in the minority, but I am ok with 70 new Pokémon for this generation. I was more excited to see the leap in graphics and customization than anything else.

Back