• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm about to start breeding Scythers for IV's but the only Scyther I have at the moment has incredibly bad IV's in every stat (16 is the highest in hp, nothing else over 11).
Should I try and catch a new Scyther from Soul Silver and migrate to White, or can I use Power items and attempt to chain the IV's I want through multiple Ditto eggs?

If you're willing to spend a lot of time on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, then it's a better idea to try and catch a new Scyther in SS. Those IVs don't seem to cut it.

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2015
RMT In Black

Um, yeah, starting competitive battling, 6 losses 0 wins. How's the Team? I do 3 on 3.
Emboar :
Flamethrower
Flare Blitz
Heat Crash
Head Smash
Volcarona
Heat Wave
Bug Buzz
Silver Wind
Quiver Dance
Ditto
Transform
I do Level50 single battles.

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years
Quick question for anyone that can assist me -

I have been spending the last few days learning as much as I can about EV training, I previously knew nothing, but now feel like I understand it, but I have one question

I have bred a LV1 Elekid, and want to start EV training it, but there's one thing I can't find an answer to anywhere

If I battle a Pokemon that gives ATK EV's (Which is what I want) and my Elekid gains multiple levels in the same battle, will it still only gain 1 EV from the battle? or will the number increase based on the amount of levels he gains from that one fight?

Years
Um, yeah, starting competitive battling, 6 losses 0 wins. How's the Team? I do 3 on 3.
Emboar :
Flamethrower
Flare Blitz
Heat Crash
Head Smash
Volcarona
Heat Wave
Bug Buzz
Silver Wind
Quiver Dance
Ditto
Transform

To be honest not fantastic.
First you have two fire types, what is essential especially in 3 on 3 battles is diversity and coverage. You definitely want to switch at least one out for a different type, also probably get rid of ditto completely.
Emboar, you have 3 fire type moves, that's bad, Emboar has fantastic attack but not very good Sp. Attack so remove the special fire type moves. Head Smash while dealing incredible damage also gives half recoil which is far too risky to run in competitive battling.
I suggest
- Heat Crash OR Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm
- Wild Charge
Running Scald may not be a bad idea either it has enough Special Attack to make use of it.

Volcarona. I assume you haven't reached level 100 for Fiery Dance yet, but when you do it is essential.
For now your Volcarono should know
Heat Wave
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
The last is your choice but I suggest either, Psychic, Solar Beam (Only if you're running Sunny Day on something else) Hurricane (level 90) or Hidden Power Grass.

Ditto is an interesting idea, but most often a bad choice. If by chance your opponent does have one move to counter themselves in battle and you send out a ditto, they know they have one extra set up move while you use transform. Your Ditto is going to have a bad time. It is highly recommended to ditch ditto for something else

Quick question for anyone that can assist me -

I have been spending the last few days learning as much as I can about EV training, I previously knew nothing, but now feel like I understand it, but I have one question

I have bred a LV1 Elekid, and want to start EV training it, but there's one thing I can't find an answer to anywhere

If I battle a Pokemon that gives ATK EV's (Which is what I want) and my Elekid gains multiple levels in the same battle, will it still only gain 1 EV from the battle? or will the number increase based on the amount of levels he gains from that one fight?

Yes your Elekid will only gain the amount of EVs that the Pokemon you battled yields.
Example, you battle a Machop level 80 you send in Elekid level 1 and switch to something stronger (naturally).
Your Elekid grows 29 levels say, but only 1 attack EV is given.

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years
Yes your Elekid will only gain the amount of EVs that the Pokemon you battled yields.
Example, you battle a Machop level 80 you send in Elekid level 1 and switch to something stronger (naturally).
Your Elekid grows 29 levels say, but only 1 attack EV is given.

Thankyou for letting me know! Now I can start my training!

...After I've won enough points at the battle subway to buy the Power Bracer
-_-

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Emboar :
Flamethrower
Flare Blitz
Heat Crash
Head Smash
Volcarona
Heat Wave
Bug Buzz
Silver Wind
Quiver Dance
Ditto
Transform

Emboar's physical movepool is quite diverse, you should take advantage of that. A decent Emboar moveset would be something like; Flare Blitz, Head Smash, Wild Charge and Superpower.

Volcarona doesn't have a huge movepool but what it does have it can make use of. Quiver Dance and Bug Buzz are moves you've already got so you're half way there! Hidden Power Ground or Rock should be your next move. It gives Volcarona a lot of coverage against its threats. And finally for your fire type move. It should be either Fiery Dance, Fire Blast or Flamethrower. :)

Ditto only works well if it's got its dream world ability. \:

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
Would a thick fat (DW ability) Mamoswine with stealth rock (egg move) be legal? I guess what I'm asking is, did they release a female thick fat dream world mamoswine yet? Last I heard they only released a male one, but that info could be out of date.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Would a thick fat (DW ability) Mamoswine with stealth rock (egg move) be legal? I guess what I'm asking is, did they release a female thick fat dream world mamoswine yet? Last I heard they only released a male one, but that info could be out of date.

A female Swinub is currently available in the DW. Stealth Rock also became a move tutor in B2/W2, so Thick Fat + Stealth Rock is legal on Mamoswine.

Soar

n00b
Years
Flygon Team Help.

So I dont know if this is allowed, but i would like to make a good team around Flygon. So does anyone have any suggestions of poke's i could use that have good synergy?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
Competitive team help please

Hi everyone,
Although I've played Pokemon for a long time, iv never actually set foot onto the competitive battling arenas like wifi battles, stadium as battle revolution. So I have no idea on the rules like the UU or the whatever tiers are. I just downloaded Pokemon online simulator and I made a mono-water team.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Lanturn @ Focus sash
Wailord @ Leftovers
Ludicolo @ Focus sash
Swampert @ Focus sash
Slowbro @ Leftovers

What would you classify each of my Pokemon and my entire team? Am I using to many of the same items?
Thanks for your help

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So I dont know if this is allowed, but i would like to make a good team around Flygon. So does anyone have any suggestions of poke's i could use that have good synergy?
Generally, Pokemon who can set up Spikes and Stealth Rock, such as Roserade, Froslass and Hitmontop, make good teammates. Pokemon that can deal with Slowbro also make good teammates, like Raikou. Magneton also makes a good teammate, not only for its ability to deal with Slowbro, but also to trap the Steels that Flygon has trouble with, like Bronzong.
Hi everyone,
Although I've played Pokemon for a long time, iv never actually set foot onto the competitive battling arenas like wifi battles, stadium as battle revolution. So I have no idea on the rules like the UU or the whatever tiers are. I just downloaded Pokemon online simulator and I made a mono-water team.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Lanturn @ Focus sash
Wailord @ Leftovers
Ludicolo @ Focus sash
Swampert @ Focus sash
Slowbro @ Leftovers

What would you classify each of my Pokemon and my entire team? Am I using to many of the same items?
Thanks for your help
Item clause isn't in effect in battle simulators. Generally, Pokemon that are OU and Uber can't compete in UU.

Some of your Pokemon are better off with different held items. Lanturn, Ludicolo and Swampert are pretty bulky, so they have no need for Focus Sash. They should hold Lefties.

Also, Wailord isn't very good in UU to be honest because of its average offenses and low Speed. Try to find other Water Pokemon.

Last edited:

Xenodrive

Forgotten But Not Alone
Years
Im not sure if this question has been asked and/or belongs here, but what exactly are EV's and IV's

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
[QUOTE/]
Item clause isn't in effect in battle simulators. Generally, Pokemon that are OU and Uber can't compete in UU.

Some of your Pokemon are better off with different held items. Lanturn, Ludicolo and Swampert are pretty bulky, so they have no need for Focus Sash. They should hold Lefties.

Also, Wailord isn't very good in UU to be honest because of its average offenses and low Speed. Try to find other Water Pokemon.[/QUOTE]

Which Pokemon do you classify as OU or Uber? Is there a list somewhere? What you classify my Pokemon as?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
Here's the link to all the Pokemon and the tiers they're in. Just by looking at your team, all of them are either NU, RU or UU, mostly UU.

I'm trying to be unique with my team; like Slowbro. What do you think replace Wailord? Samurott, Milotic, Blastoise, Kingdra, Dewgong, Lapras, Octillery or Mantine. What do you think?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I'm trying to be unique with my team; like Slowbro. What do you think replace Wailord? Samurott, Milotic, Blastoise, Kingdra, Dewgong, Lapras, Octillery or Mantine. What do you think?

First you need to decide what your team's tier is going to be, OU, UU, RU or NU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back