• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon or Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I can't really give the reasons that Spinosaurus really wants from well ... any of us but in general I would have to say Pokemon. I love both Digimon and Pokemon, but I've fallen out of Digimon more than I have with Pokemon. I've been in the loop when it comes to Pokemon for much longer periods of time than with Digimon and I keep more up to date with it. I don't think it's due to publicity; if I was more into Digimon then I could try hard to keep more up to date with the series and all the new games that are coming out. But I'm not.

Creativity wise I think both Digimon and Pokemon have has their ups and down. Some Digimon are amazing, and some of them make me go 'why did they make this'. The same goes for Pokemon. I'm not really the best one to judge though because I'm a fairly easy to please person and eventually I start liking most monsters in general.

Animation wise I want to say that Digimon is better than Pokemon's. Each season have its own characters and different story line. Something that Pokemon will likely never have. But, in my opinion, Pokemon has that charm that Digimon won't have because it changes characters every season or two. However, this isn't something I can completely say I back up on since I have yet to watch the newer seasons of Digimon.

The same goes for games when it comes to saying which one is better. Obviously, I have played more Pokemon games. I have only played two Digimon games but I did like the concept of both. Someday I do want to see about replaying said games (though it is disappointing that in Digimon World: Dawn I'll have to lose all my Digimon that I have trained). That said, without going into the whole 'nostalgia' deal that I might end up trapping myself into, I can't really say which one is better without playing more Digimon game: a more recent one would even be better so I can judge the two by the latest games and not games as a whole.

That said, I guess you can say that I prefer Pokemon to Digimon because it keeps me intrigued and into the series for longer than Digimon has. Silly, and kind of baseless, and possibly not even a good reason, but alas I think that is really what it comes down to.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Pokemon: The anime is pretty dull and filled with fillers that are unnecessary for us to watch. But the games are freaking AWESOME.

Digimon: The games are pretty good, and they don't focus on only one type of gaming. And the anime is alot better than Pokemon's. Since they actually ahve a storyline that fits perfectly with the episode before.

IMO: Pokemon: games
Digimon: Animes

But that being said, I enjoy both, so I won't let myself getting bothered by Digimon vs. Pokemon since I enjoy both very much.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
This is being asked on a Pokemon forum, majority of people would say Pokemon ...

But uh, for the show, I'd honestly have to say Digimon, I actually kind of miss the Digimon show. But for the games, Pokemon. To me I really didn't like anything of Digimon besides the show. I liked the toy digi-vices though, they were pretty OK.

Detwak

Meh.
Years
This is being asked on a Pokemon forum, majority of people would say Pokemon ...

But uh, for the show, I'd honestly have to say Digimon, I actually kind of miss the Digimon show. But for the games, Pokemon. To me I really didn't like anything of Digimon besides the show. I liked the toy digi-vices though, they were pretty OK.

^That, that is excatly how I feel!

Nintendofox3d

Watch Pokemon Cyclone Saga!!
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2014
Well, since we're on a forum called POKEcommunity, what do you think we'll say?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Well, since we're on a forum called POKEcommunity, what do you think we'll say?

Ok, but this is to see whether some actually prefer them in specific details. I mean, not everyone completely likes Pokemon in terms of interest, so they might like something else in terms of the characters and things. Anyways, what do you prefer? EDIT: This thread is a year old. o-o I missed its anniversary.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
In terms of anime, I feel Digimon had darker plots than Pokemon. As for the video games, I've only played a few of Digimon ones, so I gotta say I prefer the Pokemon games more.

Years
I think that I like the Digimon series better. But the Pokemon games. And only the original Digimon series. Adventures 1 (two became bad halfway through). The other series of Digimon aren't that good.

I loved all the movies though. Pokemon and Digimon.

PokéZoom

~Gotta Catch Em All
Years
I used to like Digimon, but I just stopped watching and playing it a few years ago and never looked back. Pokémon, on the other hand, I have loved all my life and always will.

Years
Growing up I was huge on both of them. Pokemon was always my number 1 I think, but the first Digimon Movie was a game changer and a life changer for me, haha. I will always remember how awesome it was and the music they played and just the whole thing in general.

Again, I was obsessed with both almost equally growing up. I'd give the anime nod to Digimon, (First two seasons only) but Pokemon had better games for sure in the beginning.

Years
I would say that I preferred Pokemon over Digimon for both the games and the anime. I tried getting into Digimon when it first came on, but after watching Pokemon for a while first, I could just never find myself interested in it (but not for lack of trying).

Shiny_Flareon

The One Whom Smells Like Soap!
Years
I don't think this is the best place for this question... most people will say pokemon is better. Because this is a pokemon website... my opinion is. I have never understood Digimon... Pokemon is better

Years
I agree that it's a really prejudiced response because everyone here is into Pokemon. However, it does seem like a number of people (myself included) prefer the Digimon anime. Personally, I still love the first few seasons of Digimon, & occasionally rewatch a movie on VHS.

But the idea in Pokemon that you could carry 6 with you & have 400 more in your PC makes it a different sort of game from Digimon, where you as a rule only have 1-3, depending on the game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Again, I was obsessed with both almost equally growing up. I'd give the anime nod to Digimon, (First two seasons only) but Pokemon had better games for sure in the beginning.

Not a fan of Tamers? Weird, that seems the be the one season people laud all the time. I find it odd when people say they only like the first two seasons. I think there's definitely nostalgia at play there because Adventure 02 is just sort of...not great. Though I still prefer it over a lot of what the Pokemon anime has to offer, the BlackWarGreymon arc alone is better than anything I've seen in the Pokemon anime. It just brings up all these interesting stories, then drops them, brings up villains out of nowhere, only to have them be sidelined after like three episodes. After a while it sort of feels like you have too much going on, BlackWarGreymon, Daemon, Arukenimon, and Oikawa because the staff was having a difficult time ending those particular stories.

Tamers just feels like the strongest series to me, its first half is purely character development and then the second half dives right into this pretty dramatic story for the rest of its run. It even becomes the one series so popular with older viewers that it got a spinoff novel made for adults.

What I enjoy so much about Digimon's first three years is that there's a clear progression of fun and adventure to that mixed with drama, to a ton of drama, it feels like a stylistic maturation, and that's the sort of thing I love. And I still really love Frontier, but I'll fully admit that it leaves...a lot to be desired - which can also be said for Savers and Xros Wars, especially Xros Wars.

I've never been a big fan of the Digimon games, though re:Digitize does look pretty interesting, as does the new upcoming Adventure game. But I think I'm now always just going to want an anime in the style of the re:Digitize game, that opening sequence is not enough!

Last edited:
Years
Not a fan of Tamers? Weird, that seems the be the one season people laud all the time. I find it odd when people say they only like the first two seasons. I think there's definitely nostalgia at play there because Adventure 02 is just sort of...not great. Though I still prefer it over a lot of what the Pokemon anime has to offer, the BlackWarGreymon arc alone is better than anything I've seen in the Pokemon anime. It just brings up all these interesting stories, then drops them, brings up villains out of nowhere, only to have them be sidelined after like three episodes. After a while it sort of feels like you have too much going on, BlackWarGreymon, Daemon, Arukenimon, and Oikawa because the staff was having a difficult time ending those particular stories.

Tamers just feels like the strongest series to me, its first half is purely character development and then the second half dives right into this pretty dramatic story for the rest of its run. It even becomes the one series so popular with older viewers that it got a spinoff novel made for adults.

What I enjoy so much about Digimon's first three years is that there's a clear progression of fun and adventure to that mixed with drama, to a ton of drama, it feels like a stylistic maturation, and that's the sort of thing I love. And I still really love Frontier, but I'll fully admit that it leaves...a lot to be desired - which can also be said for Savers and Xros Wars, especially Xros Wars.

I've never been a big fan of the Digimon games, though re:Digitize does look pretty interesting, as does the new upcoming Adventure game. But I think I'm now always just going to want an anime in the style of the re:Digitize game, that opening sequence is not enough!

I put it that way because the movie + first two seasons was the 'Golden Age' of Digimon for me. I liked Tamers, but by then Digimon was falling out of favor with me just a bit. And yeah, I've got the nostalgia goggles on hard for the first two Digimon seasons, haha. Spent many a Saturday watching those shows.

Years
I liked the first seasons of Digimon, and then whatever season the kids were able digivolve themselves. Those were the only three seasons that I watched. And I only watched the first season of Pokémon and a few episodes of of the last two seasons.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I have never been interested in Digimon, to the point of making an informed comparison.
Though the bit I did watch when I was very young, did seem rather fun.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I like Digimon more then Pokemon back in the day. I know the Pokemon and Digimon are the different variation of the same product. Cant explain why. In some ways Digimon was more i guess "adult" about it the Pokemon, but Digimon could only go so far. Where as Pokemon could really be boundless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back