• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Touhou 6-8

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The Touhou Project 06-08 Megathread

What's Touhou?

Touhou is a series of doujin (essentially the Japanese equivalent of indie) games that are mostly bullet hells made almost 100% by one guy. If you wanted to be a tryhard about it you'd end up encountering something like this

Too much? Well rest assured we aren't exactly doing that crap. The perception of Touhou's difficulty is mixed: in the shmup (shoot 'em up) community, Touhou is seen as "casual" and "a cakewalk" compared to some other games out there, which is actually true. It's a bunch of bullets at your face with very small hitboxes. The games are very popular in the otaku circles in Japan. It has the literal definition of a cult following (and thus it has one in the west too), but even with that the games are a lot of fun.

There are fourteen main games as well as multiple spin-offs (four of them being tournament fighters.) The first five were made for the now defunct PC-98 series of Japanese computers. It was a dying system when the games were released which causes their obscurity. Six and onward were made for Windows.

So what is the plot?

Basically the games take place in the world of Gensokyo (Land of Illusions), a region of Japan that was sealed off from the rest of the world in 1885 A.D. It has a large population of Youkai (Japanese mystical creatures), as well as humans. Due to the time it was sealed off, its culture is similar to that of feudal Japan, though outsiders sometimes find a way to squeeze in.

Located on the border is the Hakurei shrine. A small run-down Shinto shrine that lies in the mountains. It's unique in the fact that it can be accessed from both sides of the border. The only resident of the shrine is Reimu Hakurei, the shrine maiden (and main protagonist) who makes it her job to investigate any strange occurrences happening in Gensokyo.

A lot of Gensokyo's inhabitants are easy-going, but others are some of the cheapest bastards ever.

Why is this so popular?

First off, they're fun. It may seem like a love it or hate it kind of gig, but don't knock it 'til you try it. Second is the overall aesthetic. As noted prior, the main games are made entirely by one guy who goes by ZUN. Literally entirely made by him: programming, music, art, everything. They turn out pretty good too (with the exception of the art, but at least that has some sort of charm to it.) Plus, while the characters and plots, while not particularly deep, are still pretty neat. Surprisingly, Gensokyo has a lot of development put into it (for what it is, at least), and has a good amount of charm.

…Oh, and the music. It's just outstanding. It's to the point that there's a 1.3 Terabyte (and increasing) torrent floating around of fan-made, lossless music. Almost every genre has been done. Metal and electronic tend to be big ones though...so is eurobeat.

There are also gigantic piles of fan-made art, anime, silly videos (which propelled the games' publicity immensely), manga, t-shirts and games just to name a few.

Why is almost every character a girl?

Well why not? Back when ZUN was making the game, most shmups consisted of space ships and giant things in the name of manliness. ZUN figured "well, no one's really made a game with a shrine maiden protagonist, nor a ridiculous shooting game where the cast is dominantly female, so why not?!" and it stuck. There are only a few male characters within the actual cast: some are one-off mentions, one's a turtle, one's an old man cloud (yes. I'm serious.) Another's a giant catfish, and then there's Rinnosuke, who doesn't appear in a game (but in a canon series of side stories.)

So how's this Let's Play going?

I'm going to be going through games six through eight, as well as a bonus when I finish (with my attempted androgynous voice being a guide for each >_>), so somewhat three (or four) LPs for the price of one. I've decided on these three because they seem to be the ones people are most consistently introduced to the series with. If I decide I want to return to playing through the games, I may do one through five in the distant future.

Updates will be by stage, and will be done on normal (I suck.) I'll be using five lives instead of the usual three (spoiler alert: I don't waste enough to justify doing it) in order to get through the game without continuing. I will be doing mostly one character with live commentary, but I might also be doing other characters in a video with no commentary and totally uncut. (I can do this for six, as well as seven, but with eight I'll have to see what I can do.) Also if I sound like a nervous trainwreck it's because of personal reasons and the fact I haven't done a Let's Play in over two years.

Contents:

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Update 1: Backstory, and the Protagonists
Spoiler:
Update 2: Stage 1, Boss: Rumia
Update 3: Stage 2, Boss: Cirno
Update 4: Stage 3, Boss: Hong Meiling
Update 5: Stage 4, Boss: Patchouli Knowledge
Update 6: Stage 5, Boss: Sakuya Izayoi
Update 7: Stage 6, Boss: Remilia Scarlet, Reimu A End
Update 8: Extra Stage, Boss: Flandre Scarlet; Trivia

*will be updated as I move onward. Updates will be daily to ensure there isn't a huge gap in game posts...unless I manage to get enough time to record earlier than expected.

Last edited:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 2

Music:
Spoiler:

Profiles:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
I like the format of this, serving as both a Touhou 101 and a Let's Play, and I really like the presentation. Good luck with this!
Thanks! This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. I figured that I'd take a seldom used approach since there are so many Touhou LPs floating around on YouTube.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 3

And yes. I know Cirno is called an idiot in the manual. My point was that fanon inflated it to the highest degree.

Music:
Spoiler:

Profiles:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 4

As antsy as I'm getting with this, I'm going to try slowing updates to once a day. I'm not a fan of the huge gap it'd cause otherwise (I need a day when I can get it to record PCB and hopefully Marisa's story for EoSD.)

Music:
Spoiler:

Profiles:
Spoiler:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 5

Second half of the playthrough starts. We in there.

Music:
Spoiler:

Profiles:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 6

Welp. Most cringe part of the whole LP IMO.

Music:
Spoiler:

Profiles:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 7

I have decided I would spoiler tag the ending for those who want to see it. I will not be doing the Extra Stage. I will post a gameplay video of it that isn't mine and give the generic details and such. Other than that, wait warmly for Perfect Cherry Blossom until it is ready.

Music:
Spoiler:

Profiles:
Spoiler:

Ending:
Spoiler:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
Not on my watch will this LP die.

The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 8

So I cannot get a consistent run on the extra stage going for the life of me, so instead I am going to post a video of it with credit to the creator

This recording is by Kefit

Music:
Spoiler:

Character Profiles:
Spoiler:

Trivia:
Spoiler:

Well that's it for my end to EoSD. There was such a time gap because of time constraints as well as higher priorities. Perfect Cherry Blossom has already been recorded, I just need to lay down the commentary.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Not on my watch will this LP die.

The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Update 8

So I cannot get a consistent run on the extra stage going for the life of me, so instead I am going to post a video of it with credit to the creator
Did you consider running it on easy? Or is that just too shameful? I dunno. Can one even do extra stages on easy?

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
Did you consider running it on easy? Or is that just too shameful? I dunno. Can one even do extra stages on easy?
Extra only has one difficulty, and that's Extra itself. I got half of PCB commentated on already, but I need time to write the OP for the game.

Back