• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: SkyDock: The ROM Hacking Organisational Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
SkyDock helps you backup your ROM, dock your tools and perform ROM management, among other organisational functions.

[alink id=home]
picture.php
[/alink id][alink id=info]
picture.php
[/alink id][alink id=feat]
picture.php
[/alink id][alink id=down]
picture.php
[/alink id]
[a id]home[/a id]

SkyDock is an organisation tool. It doesn't modify your ROM directly in any way. Instead, it helps you organise your hack, leaving you free to do the hacking. Among SkyDock's many features, includes the abilities to back up your project at the click of the button, and restore your project to a previous backup as easily. SkyDock's other main feature is the ability to dock tools of your choice in an easy-to-use tools panel, so that you can access them at a later stage just by clicking on the icon.

I have been working on this tool for some time now, and it's coming along quite nicely so far. I will keep this thread updated with its current progress, so check the thread for updates. I will update the progress in the features section so that you can see exactly how far I am.
[a id]info[/a id]

SkyDock is programmed in C/C++ and will use GTK+ for the interface. It will be programmed to be as OS independent as possible. I might add a plug-in system so that other applications can communicate with SkyDock, allowing them to store files in your projects, add entries to the free-space log, etc.
[a id]feat[/a id]

• Backup your Hack
    Quickly create a patch that acts as a backup in one click.​
  • Restore your hack to a previous backup in seconds
    Restore your hack to a previous patch backup in seconds with the help of a handy calendar interface​
  • Store all the files you need for your hack in one project file
    No more cluttered folders! Store all the files SkyDock needs in one archive file​
  • Export your project file to external media with ease
    SkyDock recognises external media. Plug in your flash drive or similar object and export your project file to it in seconds​
  • Dock all your tools into one tools panel
    Keep all your tools in one place! Make them automatically open your ROM with the automatic parameter passing feature!​
  • Acts as an all-in-one patcher. (50% complete)
    SkyDock will automatically associate *.ips, *.aps, *.ups and *.cps with itself. Simply double click on a patch file and select a file to patch and SkyDock does the rest!​
  • Built in free-space finder and free-space manager
    SkyDock allows you to quickly search for free space, as well as keeping track of all the space you've used​
If you have any more ideas for features, feel free to suggest some by posting in the thread!

[a id]down[/a id]

None yet. Stay tuned!

This thread layout is Copyright © 2011 by Giga Universe. You may not use any of this design - make your own!

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I like the idea of a "free-space manager". Using a text file to keep track of where everything is is awfully inconvenient. I might just try this when it comes out. :)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
This looks great, I definitely will try it when it comes out. I like the idea that this tool has about organisation and space, and heaven knows I need to be more organised, so I'll be sure to use it when I can.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
This is really neat. I love the idea of a free space manager, it'll be really helpful. I also like the universal patcher. Great stuff.

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
I like the idea of a "free-space manager". Using a text file to keep track of where everything is is awfully inconvenient. I might just try this when it comes out. :)
That's great! The free space manager just finds out when you've used free space and lets you label what it is. I can't find a reliable way to interact with the other tools to do it automatically :(

This looks great, I definitely will try it when it comes out. I like the idea that this tool has about organisation and space, and heaven knows I need to be more organised, so I'll be sure to use it when I can.

This is really neat. I love the idea of a free space manager, it'll be really helpful. I also like the universal patcher. Great stuff.

Awesome stuff you've go there!
I'll be sure to download it =)

This looks really good, and the association of patch files is very convenient. I'll definitely have to try this. Will it also work with roms of other systems and their tools?

How about a suggestion, too? "Tabs" for multiple hacks. Basically, Each page has it's patches, program locations, and whatnot, so if tabs are made, you could have multiple hacks.

Well, I was already going to have separate tabs for the free-space manager and whatnot, so it might look a little messy to have a double row of tabs. But I'll certainly look into it when it comes to designing the GUI.
Also, it should work with other systems, as long as you dock the correct tools. I don't know about the free-space manager though...

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
I know you have all ready said thanks to 3 other messages like this but:

This tool looks great, ill be sure to try it when it is released!

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
on the subject of freespacemanager.
Make a 'dump-file-searcher'
eg: input file: raw dump of data, find offset of data.
That way, you can dump the data from other tools, and label it in freespacemanager. :)

dazzle

Scripting Apprentice
Years
very very nice, i will definately use this when it comes out, as everybody else, i like the idea of a free space manager, i always have to write down what ive used, so i have a decent stack of notes on my desk, so this will make it much easier, thanks alot man and props to ya :D
~Dazzle

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
on the subject of freespacemanager.
Make a 'dump-file-searcher'
eg: input file: raw dump of data, find offset of data.
That way, you can dump the data from other tools, and label it in freespacemanager. :)

I actually planned for it to constantly look for space being used up, if it detects some, then it adds the offset and size of the data used to a table where you can add a label or merge entries. So it will automatically find the data - there's no need to search for it :)

EDIT: On a side note, is it just me, or are the navigation buttons at the top of this thread floating off the banner that says SkyDock? It wasn't like that when I posted it, please tell me if you see that too (On my browser the buttons float about 10px down from the banner, they are supposed to touch...)

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
I see it too, at first I thought it was just a little ... odd. But now that you point it out, yes I see that as well. ( Google Chrome )
Would help you now, but I'm about to leave for a party. X)

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
OK, I think I fixed it now (at least on my browser). Please let me know if anyone does see any other weird errors like that (such as it being to high now). I'll be back soon with a screenshot of the GUI if I get a chance to finish it :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2020
This is really cool, thanks Team Skydock, hope you reach success to the skys! :P

Years
This sounds really good! I can't wait to get organized with my hacking folders, as they're currently messy. :P

Good luck! Can't wait for the download! :)

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
This is really cool, thanks Team Skydock, hope you reach success to the skys! :P

Buahahaha.
Have I convinced you to take <windows.h> and burn it forever, yet? ;)

Yes, you have. I was pretty eager to do it in the first place, but I didn't think GTK+ could do what I needed. Apparently it can... Which is a very good thing :)

This sounds really good! I can't wait to get organized with my hacking folders, as they're currently messy. :P

Good luck! Can't wait for the download! :)

Thanks, hopefully a download will be available soon.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
@Most anybody looking at this thread -
You're in for quite the surprise when this is finished. (:
The interface is very well done now, and some of the features are just plain awesome.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Hey, how's progress coming along? I cant wait till this comes out because it would make hacking so much cleaner (as in organized). If it's possible, could you maybe show us a preview of the GUI?

ahsome

Scripter Legend
Years
This idea is amazing!
You sure got my vote (and download)
But i wanna ask, will the CPS patcher be here like you said before?

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
Hey, how's progress coming along? I cant wait till this comes out because it would make hacking so much cleaner (as in organized). If it's possible, could you maybe show us a preview of the GUI?

Well, right now, I'm programming the core of the program, so the GUI is not really done, (the dock doesn't load because I haven't programmed it yet) but I suppose I could post a rough overview.

This idea is amazing!
You sure got my vote (and download)
But i wanna ask, will the CPS patcher be here like you said before?

Yes, it will. As will UPS, APS and IPS. This is part of the "core" programming, as I have to work out how each format works and build a faster patching implementation of it. (The UPS patcher is written in C++, which is what SkyDock is written in, but its awfully slow, so I'm writing my own to speed it up :) ).
Just so you know, I have got APS and CPS fully working, IPS only reads so far, and I'm working on figuring out the UPS format.

EDIT:

Check the attachments for a screen-shot of the outline of the SkyDock GUI. The screen shows the Free-Space Manager tab. The blank bar at the bottom will become the Dock space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back