• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I found a moveset editor in Pokemon Amplifier 0.94 Public. when I try to open Pokemon Crystal with it, it gives Run-time '6' Overflow or whatever as an error, and closes, despite it's supposed to be for the GSC games. what is the problem?

From what i've seen, a fair amount of tools don't really like Pokemon Crystal...maybe it's programmed completely different or something. I don't know if you've tried this, but make sure no other programs have the rom open when you try to use this program. Most of the tools I've seen bug out whenever you have two programs editing the rom at the same time.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I also tried opening it with a Pokemon Gold rom, same error, both with no other program open.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Expanding

Hi.

I'd like to create a new world map in Emerald, but I do not know how can I raise the map size. I found some tutorial about changing the world map, but it couldn't change the map size. I saw a video on youtube, showed Ruby version with an expanded world map. If it's possible please tell me how to do it. And I have one more question, how can I insert flying position into the maps. (I use Advance Map).

Thanks.

--Nirvana--

State of Liberation
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 15, 2012
I'd just like to say thanks to everyone thats helped me with the Oak script. I cou;dn't figure out the other values besides 0x4 and 0x3.

Figured it out now.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Hi, Im using JPANs engine to add new palettes but I can not get current sprites to load them. They look fine in OE:RE but keep there original palettes in VBA. Is there something in hex that tells the game to loads the sprite pointer table from a certain location? Im stumped. The hero can load the new palette but no other sprite can. Help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I found a solution. -.-
But, when I try loading two OWs, each with their own custom palette, only one loads. Any solutions to that?
EDIT2: Even with an OW with an original palette, it cant load both at the same time. If I walk away so one is not visible then walk back, the palette loads. But If both are on the screen, they wont load.
EDIT3: I guess I figured it out, with the whole palette slot thing.!

Last edited:

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
EDIT: Thanks to redriders and chrunch for your advice! As an extra question, is it possible to replace some of the current Trainer overworlds with Pokemon ones, and is it possible to, for example, remove the Secret Base system and use its space for something else?

I've just started learning this hacking business, currently getting to grips with Advanced Map before I move on to scripting. I have two basic questions at this stage:

1. How would I go about entering an overworld sprite for say a Lickitung into an Emerald ROM? There are several pkmn overworld sprites available in the Person Event Picture list in AM, but only a very limited number of them (e.g. Wingull, Zigzagoon). In short, I'd like to be able to put any Pokemon I like into the world, wandering around an area.

2. I've read several times in this thread that adding too much additional data to a ROM can cause it not to patch successfully - if that is the case then how can I make additional regions available in the late game (sth. like the Sevii Islands or Kanto in GSC, but bigger)? I'm planning a 3-region adventure...

Thanks in advance, hopefully when I learn more I can help out on this thread as well.

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I've just started learning this hacking business, currently getting to grips with Advanced Map before I move on to scripting. I have two basic questions at this stage:

1. How would I go about entering an overworld sprite for say a Lickitung into an Emerald ROM? There are several pkmn overworld sprites available in the Person Event Picture list in AM, but only a very limited number of them (e.g. Wingull, Zigzagoon). In short, I'd like to be able to put any Pokemon I like into the world, wandering around an area.

2. I've read several times in this thread that adding too much additional data to a ROM can cause it not to patch successfully - if that is the case then how can I make additional regions available in the late game (sth. like the Sevii Islands or Kanto in GSC, but bigger)? I'm planning a 3-region adventure...

Thanks in advance, hopefully when I learn more I can help out on this thread as well.

For your first question, I have to say that you can't have EVERY Pokemon as an overworld in emerald, simply because of the way the game is programmed. There are only 255 possibly OWs, with repointing, and 244 of them are already used in Emerald. There is the possibility of rewriting the code to make emerald work similar to J-Pans hack engine for firered, which uses an unused byte to expand the number of possible OWs, but that's high-level stuff.

For your second question, Emerald is the Gen III rom with the least amount of free space...even the quest to put all 649 Pokemon in it was disbanded because of the space issue. The only way to have three regions is to expand the Rom to 32MB, doubling its size. But be warned, because some tools don't work well with an expanded ROM, but luckily A-map does. expanded roms also can't be patched with Lunar IPS, because the limit is 16mb for an IPS file.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

1) It's not possible in emerald. not enough space for OWs (like redriders180 said, only 255), and not nearly enough palletes available, because most likely you'd need a seperate one for each Pokemon.

2) Emerald doesn't have much free space, you won't be able to put 3 regions in, sorry. :(

It'd probably be easier for you to switch to FR and use JPAN's patch, because it expands the space for overworlds and FR has a lot more free space in which you -might- be able to fit three regions in.

stocko

Toast Engineer
Years
Hey all :) I'm trying to make the title screen for the hack I'm trying to make. It's a Digimon hack of firered. I can do everything like change the sprite, background except I'm having trouble changing the logo, I want to put the digimon logo in where it says pokemon. I can't quite get this right. One attempt I had it in correctly, I just couldn't find the palette to change the logo.
If someone could please help me I would be very grateful :)
Thanks.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Eror.png

Anyone any idea what causes or how to fix this problem?

Nothing has been changed on the map since it was last working except for movement permissions and connections :S.

[Fixed thanks to Spherical Ice]

Last edited:

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
^hmm... I am going to take a stab in the dark and say get a new rom...

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017

Nothing has been changed on the map since it was last working except for movement permissions and connections :S.

I had that. I believe something was wrong with the script for me. Try changing the script on that position. Or save it as a new .gba file (dont overwrite, create a new file). Maybe that works.

Years
Eror.png

Is this a level script? If so, in Advance Map go to the Header tab, go to Professional View (Ctrl + H), copy the offset in the Map Script Offset box, paste it in the Offset box in XSE, then press the Spanner Button (it says Level Script), the press the Screwdriver Button (it says Decompile). In this script, go to the part that looks similar to this (this was just taken from a sample level script in my hack, so don't expect the pointers or variables to be the same):

'---------------
#org 0x80293B
#raw 0x2
#raw pointer 0x8802F5F
#raw 0x0

'---------------
#org 0x802F5F
#raw word 0x7002
#raw word 0x0
#raw pointer 0x8802F6A
#raw word 0xFFFF

If you see the #raw word 0xFFFF part, change it to #raw word 0x0, then compile this new script and replace the offset in the Map Script Offset box, save your map, test it and see if it works. If not, sorry!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I swear everything is out to get me today...

ConnectionFail.jpg

Why won't this connection work? I can go From top to bottom, but as soon as I'm in the bottom map the connection then fails and you can't go back to the top. They are perfectly aligned.

If you then go in to a building (bottom map) and go back to the connection you can't even see the other map, it just becomes border tiles.

Hating on A-Map

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016

ConnectionFail.jpg

Why won't this connection work? I can go From top to bottom, but as soon as I'm in the bottom map the connection then fails and you can't go back to the top. They are perfectly aligned.

If you then go in to a building (bottom map) and go back to the connection you can't even see the other map, it just becomes border tiles.

Hating on A-Map

Hmm, Im not too familiar with The newer A-Map, but have you tried going to the bottom map and editing the connections?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Hmm, Im not too familiar with The newer A-Map, but have you tried going to the bottom map and editing the connections?

I've deleted and remade the connection loads, it's just so annoying how it only works one way :(

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
I've deleted and remade the connection loads, it's just so annoying how it only works one way :(
Hm... not sure, but sometimes the connection data of a map gets lost randomly. Does it give an error every time you open this map? I dunno, maybe try insterting the map in another map number or bank, it's probably that slot that's corrupted.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

ConnectionFail.jpg

Hating on A-Map

A-Map 1.95 is still in beta, so it's slighty buggy. I suggest maybe trying with A-Map 1.92?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back