• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
But I do not need OVERWORLD sprite changing. But Add extra TRAINER SPRITES in battle scene.

Oh my god. Dude. Grow up. Repointing things is the same everywhere. If you know how to repoint one thing, you can repoint others.

And listen to Jambo. He took the time to answer your question very thouroughly. ASM is not as hard as it seems. Most ASM is extrememly simple. Believe it or not, I have only been hacking since mid-October. I started learning and really using ASM in Februrary. By March I wrote my OW editing tut and by April I had finished writing the ASM for the Battle BG tut. It isn't that hard, nor does it take that long to learn. In just takes dedication.

Why not just edit the used ones? If your hacking Ruby then change the 50 or so unused FR ones.

Lol, you have this backwards. FR has 50 unused ones from Ruby, not the other way around.:p

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015

Anyway I have a quick question, yes.

I was really curious about this a few days back:
Expanding the ROM.

See, the thing is, the last offset available is 0xFFFFFF. This takes six digits, so adding 08 makes eight digits (four bytes), which is the standard pointer size. Like so:

Code:
FF FF FF 08

That's pointing towards 0x08FFFFFF or just 0xFFFFFF, right?

Now I expand the ROM. I make it 32 MB. So, what happens is that new offsets like 0x1000000 emerge. These have SEVEN or EIGHT digits. But adding 08 makes a ten. And that doesn't fit into a pointer, or does it? I don't know, that's why I put it up here.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
But I do in my hack HOENN and JOHTO. I need 2 extra places for Sprites to make PRYCE and CLAIR.

Calm down bro! Try speaking English a bit better and where do you live?

Do you have NSE 2.X? So far, it's one of the best at these kinds of things.

Then use the Trainer Sprite Editor bundled with it.

If you want to use the ones that exist in-game but you won't be using every sprite, just edit the ones you won't be using.

If you want to keep the ones that Ruby uses, you will have to repoint the Table where all pointers to all Trainer Sprites is kept using a Hex Editor. And I'd also repoint the Table that has all pointers to the palettes that the sprites use. After repointing the table, insert your new sprite in a Free Space, take it's image and palette offset, make a reverse pointer, write it at the end of the repointed Table. And there you have it. :):):)

Have a nice day~

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023

Expanding the ROM.

See, the thing is, the last offset available is 0xFFFFFF. This takes six digits, so adding 08 makes eight digits (four bytes), which is the standard pointer size. Like so:

Code:
FF FF FF 08

Now I expand the ROM. I make it 32 MB. So, what happens is that new offsets like 0x1000000 emerge. These have SEVEN or EIGHT digits. But adding 08 makes a ten. And that doesn't fit into a pointer, or does it? I don't know, that's why I put it up here.

Oh I asked that before! Here take a look at this. I asked it here at page 1004 or 1003. Jambo51 answered. Here is his answer when I asked this.

FR doesn't matter in this case, a pointer to expanded ROM is the exact same as a pointer to the normal ROM. You just take the address and add 0x8000000 to it. So if your address is 0x1250000, the pointer to it is 0x1250000 + 0x8000000 -> 0x9250000 -> 00 00 25 09

Also I found POSITRON WORLD MAP editor. Someone know how to add by this Extra Town Map? I do not understand Spanish.

Yeah? Well, me too. That's why I dropped that tool. But if you really want that, there's a .docx file included with the package which is actually a manual. You can use Google Translate to translate that to whatever is your Mother Tongue.

Well, from what I know you really can't achieve that without ASM so if I were you, I'd be creative and compress the two in one picture. If you don't have the enough resources, be resourceful, be imaginative and be creative. There's lots of way to do one thing, you just have to open your eyes!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
hi!
i have a bit of a problem with inserting pokemon sprites, if there is more than 8 colors the sprite comes out odd... i know that the maximum amount of colors for a sprite is 16, so why doesn't it accept more than 8 colors? btw, this is a ruby rom being hacked with advanced series.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
When importing sprites in advance series click synchronise pallettes and it imports the pal without you needing to do anything. Sometimes it gives an error but you just do it again and it's fixed!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
But I do in my hack HOENN and JOHTO. I need 2 extra places for Sprites to make PRYCE and CLAIR.

I know you do, and both me and Jambo have told you how to. You need to repoint and expand the table and then fix the limiter bytes. It isn't that hard. You just need to be creative. Rom hacking is all about creativity, and to be creative, you need to do things on your own.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years

Expanding the ROM.

Code:
FF FF FF 08

Robin is correct, although I view it slightly differently.

When the game is loaded, the first 128 MB is used for RAM objects such as video data.
From the 08000000 on, all the way to the point that VBA crashes, the actual ROM data is loaded. So Jambo's method is the same concept. But you would only ever need to reference a RAM pointer within a ROM, so why bother adding 08000000? Just treat the last byte as 08 within the first 16 MB of the ROM, and 09 within the second 16 MB of the ROM.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Is there a way to change the values of Height and Width to metric units?

You mean in the Pokedex data? Just change the text found inside the ROM that shows the Customary units, then change it to CM, instead of FT and IN.

If you are talking about sprite sizes, however... Everything is in pixels, so you'd have no luck there.

Years
  • Seen today
You mean in the Pokedex data? Just change the text found inside the ROM that shows the Customary units, then change it to CM, instead of FT and IN.

But by doing so it would just change the units, not convert them. I was told that the game has metric units avaliable, but they changed to imperial when translating the text to english.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
But by doing so it would just change the units, not convert them. I was told that the game has metric units avaliable, but they changed to imperial when translating the text to english.

The data's stored in decimal format (by which I mean, it's stored not as feet and inches, but as metres), although you'd still need some very basic conversion to actually use it as a decimal value, because, if I remember right, it's stored with 0x1 = 0.001 or something.

In essence, you'd need to nop the converter code (I don't know where it is, before you ask), and change the text. Finally, you'd have to "convert" the value into the actual final decimal value.

It's a lot of work, but not terribly difficult.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
Is there a thread with tile sets from Emerald? I found them from FR, LG, R, and S, but not Emerald. Are Emerald's tile sets the same as RUby and Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back