• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Sorry if its been asked already, but I'm in a hurry: When I go to load up a tileset image (png) in Advance Map, it keeps telling me I'm missing the palette file. How would I get this file?
You need to save the tileset image using AMap's Block Editor. When you do this, it will save two files: a 16-bit bitmap (*.BMP) and a palette file (*.PAL).

You don't need the palette file to edit the bitmap with some other program, but you need the palette file to load the bitmap with AdvanceMap. The palette file and bitmap must have the same filenames (besides the BMP/PAL extensions).

So you need to

1. Copy the tileset BMP and PAL files you saved with AdvanceMap.
  2. Make sure that your PNG uses exactly the same colors.
  3. Paste it into the copy of the BMP.
  4. Make sure the copied BMP and copied PAL files have the same name, sans extension.
  5. Load the copied-and-modified BMP in AdvanceMap.
For future reference, it's generally easier to do your editing in the BMP file saved directly from AdvanceMap. You can always save two copies of it from AMap if you're interested in keeping backups or something.

Years
I'm sorry if this questions been answered already, but I always end up seeing the comdlg32.ocx or comctl32.ocx is missing for Advanced Text, Advanced Mart etc. I try to fix it, but never can even though all of the files are in the right places. Yes I have done the Command Prompt thing, but it always does an error. Any help? BTW I'm using Windows 7.
The solution for the missing of comdlg32.ocx:
h**p://devonenote.com/2010/02/register-comdlg32-ocx-on-x64-win7/
I think you can follow the same way to deal with comctl32.ocx

*change the ** into tt

=====================================

By the way, I have a problem about advance text too. The text just looks weird. Everything appears as [&HC8BF][&HBFD1][&H3F] [&HC1BB][&HBBC7][&HC7BF][&H3F] something like that. What should I do? I'm hacking emerald (eu). My computer's language is Chinese, but I've tried using AppLocale and it helps nothing...

Last edited:
Years
*Facepalm* then just use xse or a similar program. Unless you're trying to edit the intro... then wait for someone else to answer... I don't know the solution.

Also how many bytes does each offset point to i.e. how many bytes are there from 0x800000 up to right before 0x800001?

Last edited:

fengshen

fengshen113
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2012
Another question about the first generation.

According to
hax.iimarck.us/files/rbymoveinfo.txt

The effect code of [Karate Chop] and [Quick Attack] are both 00, meaning that the moves just cause normal damage. However these moves do have special effects (the former has high critical hit ratio and the latter goes prior to other attacks)

Is there any other code which assigns the special effect to the moves? How can I find it?

Years
I'm editing the intro so I have to use A-text....A-text finally works after changing the language to English, but still it's very troublesome. Is there any alternative method?

Hacks0rus

Monster Raving Looney
Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2012
Hello, i am having problems with advancemap scripts. when i create a script event no matter what i put into it, it freezes the game. do I have to do something with it to make it work? (using advancemap and XSE)

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I'm editing the intro so I have to use A-text....A-text finally works after changing the language to English, but still it's very troublesome. Is there any alternative method?
Just a page before:
Well, better advice would be to download/create an Emerald thingy table file (.tbl) and load it with a table-supporting hex editor (I recommend Translhextion or Windhex) and do it there. It's much stabler than using AdvanceText, especially considering that tool doesn't work for some people.
But depending on your ROM get a table file that will work for that.

Years
Hello, i am having problems with advancemap scripts. when i create a script event no matter what i put into it, it freezes the game. do I have to do something with it to make it work? (using advancemap and XSE)
try setting the var number and unknown(the one above script offset) to $4050 and $0300 respectively

Years
Are there any other text editors other than advanced text(text editors for 3rd Gen)?
Look at this:
*Facepalm* then just use xse or a similar program. Unless you're trying to edit the intro... then use a hex editor maybe?
Also is it giving you an error or something?

Also how many bytes does each offset point to i.e. how many bytes are there from 0x800000 up to right before 0x800001?
I need that answered please.

try setting the var number and unknown(the one above script offset) to $4050 and $0300 respectively

Yes try treeckopa's solution (remember it's the first Unknown from top to botton, there are two and also you mustn't write the dollar signs $, just 4050 and 0300) but if you're still having trouble then post your sript as there might be an error in that... If it is just freezing your player as soon as you step on your script but everything else keeps going normally like music and other events walking then it might be just what treeckopa said, but if it does execute your script halfway but then it stops and freezes there might be a problem in the script.

Also if you want your script to only happen once then write "setvar 0x4050" at the end of your script (just before the end command would be good) and set the var number of that script in advancemap to 4050 (and unknown 0300 of course). Just sayin'.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Hey I got some questions.

1. How can you add more than just 25 fakemon (Between Treecko and Celebi) without replacing any others? (Add more Pokemon slots)

2. How do you make it that you can find a Pokemon in a poke ball like in Pokemon Light Platinum (Elekid)?

3. How to add a working PC (Computer) to any area in the game?

4. Is it possible to add the Field Move Dive to a Pokemon Fire Red and have it allow you to go underwater like emerald?

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years

1. How can you add more than just 25 fakemon (Between Treecko and Celebi) without replacing any others? (Add more Pokemon slots)

2. How do you make it that you can find a Pokemon in a poke ball like in Pokemon Light Platinum (Elekid)?

4. Is it possible to add the Field Move Dive to a Pokemon Fire Red and have it allow you to go underwater like emerald?
1. I don't think you can... but I might be wrong.

2. Add a person event that is a Pokeball and make a givepokemon script to it.

3. Did you try copying/pasting the offset for the PC? I never tried that but I think it should work.

4. Try looking here and other threads in that forum. It may be helpful.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I want to ask related to ruby-based rom...

Does anyone know how to edit Prof. Birch sprite in the introduction screen?

birch.jpg

EDIT: nevermind, just found it in tile molester...
sprite: 0x39DC14
palette: 0x39E414

Last edited:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I don't know asm scripting, but I hope to modify some existing effects of moves. I have attempted to look for the location of the code but failed.

Let's say how I intended to find out the code of Pay Day's effect. As the effect of Pay Day is related to the user's level (the amount of money gained = user's level x 2 x number of uses), I guessed the script should include the location of the user's level.

For Pokemon Red the value of level is stored at [$D022], so I should be able to find out the script by testing each 2-byte value that is 22D0 in the rom. Say, if I modify a value from 22D0 to 23D0 and something unusual happens after using Pay Day, then probably I find the correct address.

However, the effect of Pay Day doesn't change even though I have tested all 22D0 in the rom. Is my hypothesis wrong?
You have the right idea, but this is not the most reliable method. Say the CPU stores $D021 in a register, then increments the value and reads from it. $D022 would not appear in the ROM at all, but it would still be accessed.

A more reliable way would be to use a debugger like BGB and set a read breakpoint for address $D022. The execution will stop at the address right when the access occurs.

If it still doesn't work, you might try other methods. For instance, you could find which address stores the money that you get from Payday after battle, and set a write breakpoint to it.
Another question about the first generation.

According to
http://hax.iimarck.us/files/rbymoveinfo.txt

The effect code of [Karate Chop] and [Quick Attack] are both 00, meaning that the moves just cause normal damage. However these moves do have special effects (the former has high critical hit ratio and the latter goes prior to other attacks)

Is there any other code which assigns the special effect to the moves? How can I find it?
There must be something else affecting it; currently I don't know what. If I find the time (unlikely, unfortunately) I will take a look.

Years

Please someone answer this.

1. I don't think you can... but I might be wrong.

2. Add a person event that is a Pokeball and make a givepokemon script to it.

3. Did you try copying/pasting the offset for the PC? I never tried that but I think it should work.

4. Try looking here and other threads in that forum. It may be helpful.

1. You need to do some hex editing I believe.

3. Yeah just find the script on a PC in AdvanceMap and copy it's offset. Then make your PC, add a green script tile (or a "normal" script tile) over the PC and write in the offset that you copied from the other PC.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Please someone answer this.
Well, that really depends on what the offset is being used for.

Pointers, for example, are four bytes, so a pointer stored at 0x800000 would include the byte at 0x800000, the byte at 0x800001, the byte at 0x800002, and the byte at 0x800003.

Some data types have dynamic lengths. For example, if I have a string at offset 0x800000, then that offset could point to any number of bytes. The game starts reading at 0x800000, and keeps continuing until it finds an 0xFF byte, which marks the end of the string. (Scripts work the same way, and seem to also use 0xFF, though I'm not too sure on that.)

Now, if you're asking how many bytes are between 0x800000 and 0x800001, that depends on semantics:

From 0x800000 up to and including 0x800001 is two bytes.
From 0x800000 up to and not including 0x800001 is one byte.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2012
Anyone? Sorry I'm just looking for an idea of what I'd need to know in order to make this accomplishable.
I'm not sure what you plan to use to do this or which rom. I would use Advance map P.E.T. and PKSV with sapphire Ruby or Emerald personally. I don't think it would be too hard to do what your suggesting as long as you have sufficient knowledge of the programs you wish to use and I know you tube has some very good tutorials for advanced map at least and this site has some tutorials for PKSV (not sure about P.E.T. but I'm hoping). You would probably want to look at the scripting and events of petalburg Gym and the trick masters house (I thin that's the right name) and use similar scripting to open doors. I know there's a script you can use to get pokemon but I'm not sure if you can Give back pokemon perhaps you could make it a trade system With a battle that can only be won with All the right pokemon. well hopefully I've answered your question. Cheers

Years
Actually I'd recommend using HackMew's A-Trainer as an alternative to PET and XSE as an alternative to PKSV, simply because if you encounter problems more people would be able to help as they are used by more hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back