Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page The Football Discussion Thread!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old June 2nd, 2015 (04:56 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
It's weird - what happened recently that made him resign?

But of course it's not over. The organisation as a whole did vote him in again, and it doesn't mean his eventual successor (it'll be months before he officially isn't in charge!) will be any better. Still, potential is there. Here's hoping.
Old June 2nd, 2015 (05:28 PM).
KYON-KUN, DENWA
ModeratorCS

Speculation is that he's resigning because his top aide was implicated by one of those indicted by the USA last week to be involved in a wire transfer of around $10 million that was related to the 2010 World Cup.

KYON-KUN, DENWA
Old June 3rd, 2015 (09:04 AM).
Banned

Nature: Gentle
I hope more stuff comes out. Would love to see how rigged Korea/Japan actually was. My guess is that it was pretty much WWE.
Old June 4th, 2015 (03:37 PM).
...Ahaha.
ModeratorCS

Nature: Quirky
Weeaboo Name wanted me to tell this thread that they've enjoyed the time they got to spend with you all throughout the years.

that is all, you may resume your football now. :)

PLAN: staff collab july 2015 CODENAME: mod of the treehouse.
Old June 8th, 2015 (01:46 AM).
Semi-Automatic
Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey-chan
So, Barcelona won the Champions League to the surprise of no one. They're unbelievable.

Also pleased that Sunderland managed to stay up in the end. I was in a bar with friends watching the draw with Arsenal and the place went crazy at full time. They really need to learn from past mistakes and start laying some solid foundations to build the club up and take it forward; everything's in place if they can only start making the right signings. Hopefully the appointment of Advocaat can set those wheels in motion and they can completely avoid the relegation battle for the 2015-16 season.
Old June 10th, 2015 (05:48 AM).

Just starting to sink in now with the fixtures out in a weeks time... really really little fish in a massive pond

SOOOO err can the season end before its begun

Old June 11th, 2015 (10:46 AM).
Crystal Tier

It would be great to see Arsenal finish first and Leicester so high, but I'm not a fan of anything that doesn't have Southampton in the top ten.
Old June 11th, 2015 (12:09 PM).
Semi-Automatic
Silver Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Limey-chan
Even with the table in alphabetical order, Sunderland can't finish higher than 15th.
Old June 14th, 2015 (12:21 AM).
To end a 21 error streak, just press F5.

Nature: Adamant
Faroe Islands did it again!

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/qualifiers/season=2016/matches/round=2000446/match=2013958/postmatch/report/

"<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | AMA | Rock-type Club #Respect4Rhyperior #Respect4Garbodor #Respect4Tangrowth #FreeAegislash2015
Old June 14th, 2015 (08:00 PM).

Greece is awful. I have no clue how they ever qualify or win anything.
Old June 16th, 2015 (04:50 AM).
Ride with me on my space ship
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
I hope united can bring it back this season but mainly that lvg doesn't get more players who do little other than compete for their spot
Old June 16th, 2015 (10:03 AM).

Gold Tier

I think I've finally recovered enough to talk about football on a regular basis again.

Quote originally posted by Universe:
Weeaboo Name wanted me to tell this thread that they've enjoyed the time they got to spend with you all throughout the years.

that is all, you may resume your football now. :)
If you can, tell WN that I reciprocate the sentiment, it has been fun to chat in this thread for so long. I assume it's now a perm ban which is a big shame.

Quote originally posted by static:
I hope united can bring it back this season but mainly that lvg doesn't get more players who do little other than compete for their spot :|
I think United can go into this season with reasonable comfort as they shouldn't be finishing out of the top four anytime soon. I feel like City and Chelsea will still be too strong for them regardless of United's signings though.

There was a reasonably interesting BBC article about some players who came from out of Europe and used Faroe Islands as an in road to European football before settling there. Decent read if you can find it, but I'm not sure how long ago it was.
Old June 16th, 2015 (08:59 PM).
Ride with me on my space ship
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
chelsea actually as a ridiculously strong rooster, city tho :/ i dot really see them as a threat rn, but if they regain form, :/
Old June 18th, 2015 (07:31 AM).

Gold Tier

I think they also will have a strong roster. Toure, Silva & Aguero are undoubtedly three of the best players in the league. I think Kompany will have a better season and Mangala will probably adapt to the league. Perhaps in some positions they need to trim some fat and bring in a few new players, but with their money I have no doubt they will do that.

That said I think they can find better value than Raheem Sterling to fill in their relatively weak right wing spot.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:21 AM).
To end a 21 error streak, just press F5.

Nature: Adamant
For anybody who's interested, here are the results of the Europa League first qualifying round:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2016/matches/round=2000654/index.html

Kairat (KAZ) - Red Star Belgrade (SRB) 2-1 (4-1) O_O

"<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | AMA | Rock-type Club #Respect4Rhyperior #Respect4Garbodor #Respect4Tangrowth #FreeAegislash2015
Old 2 Weeks Ago (02:09 AM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by AmourPearlShipper:
For anybody who's interested, here are the results of the Europa League first qualifying round:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2016/matches/round=2000654/index.html

Kairat (KAZ) - Red Star Belgrade (SRB) 2-1 (4-1) O_O
What happened there? Did Red Star take them too lightly? Even then it seems surprising given how West Ham got through comfortably with various reserves in the side.

United have quickly made two reasonable improvements to their team. One more defender and a marquee signing and they will look quite strong.

Our only signing went off with a broken leg in our first pre-season game yesterday so this season is going bad already.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (02:07 AM).

Nature: Brave
We can't close against freaking Jamaica or America.
Old 1 Week Ago (01:08 PM).

Gold Tier

I know this is pretty dead now that we've lost our resident Norwich fan, but I would have thought Sterling, Casillas or Vidal would have attracted some discussion. Maybe it's just me, but I have even more fun talking about football during the transfer window compared to usual.

On a sidenote no one cares about, Downing and Woodgate return to Boro. Of course Downing being the much more exciting story there. Maybe if there is someone with an eye on La Liga they could tell me their opinion of Stuani?
Old 1 Week Ago (01:19 PM).
Silver Tier

Nature: Lax
:/ Sterling's not all that exciting, more annoying than anything else
Casillas is a sad story
Vidal is just depressing along with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger to Man U
Downing and Woodgate is definately interesting, I only found out Downing left the hammers today buy I didn't know where
I know nothing of the Stuani deal
Old 1 Week Ago (02:09 PM).
'errything that shine ain't always gonna be gold
Gold Tier

I think Sterling is an excellent signing for Manchester City! He's an exciting prospect (one of the best in fact), English so he meets the Home-Grown quota in which City are so desperately in need of filling, and he's an upgrade on their current options. Well, at least an upgrade on Jesus Navas!

Casillas is a pretty sad departure but people don't really seem to remember why he was dropped waaaaay back. He and Sergio Ramos, apparently, tried to start a revolt against then manager Jose Mourinho... As well as that Diego Lopez performed admirably in his stead and Casillas hasn't looked like the infallible keeper of old! Sure the Madridista's booing him is kinda uncalled for but Mourinho was proven right in the end!

I'm quite gutted as an Arsenal fan that the rumours of us pursuing Vidal didn't come to anything. I'm not going to claim to watch him very often, and there was talk online of him not being at his best recently but he's a pretty tasty midfield. Juve losing Pirlo and Vidal in one window? Kinda suggests Pogba's not going anywhere. I don't really think we need him anyway with Ramsey, Wilshere, Santi, Coquelin, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Bielik etc. already vying for the two in the base of our midfield!

Downing going back to 'Boro was nice for me to see as I used to have quite the soft spot for them way back when... Football Manager will do that to a man, lol.

And I can't comment on the Stuani situation either unfortunately

Old 1 Week Ago (04:03 PM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Shak:
:/ Sterling's not all that exciting, more annoying than anything else
Casillas is a sad story
Vidal is just depressing along with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger to Man U
Downing and Woodgate is definately interesting, I only found out Downing left the hammers today buy I didn't know where
I know nothing of the Stuani deal
Which team do you support? Just interested because you said Vidal etc. are depressing.

Quote originally posted by TurkishDelight:
I think Sterling is an excellent signing for Manchester City! He's an exciting prospect (one of the best in fact), English so he meets the Home-Grown quota in which City are so desperately in need of filling, and he's an upgrade on their current options. Well, at least an upgrade on Jesus Navas!

Casillas is a pretty sad departure but people don't really seem to remember why he was dropped waaaaay back. He and Sergio Ramos, apparently, tried to start a revolt against then manager Jose Mourinho... As well as that Diego Lopez performed admirably in his stead and Casillas hasn't looked like the infallible keeper of old! Sure the Madridista's booing him is kinda uncalled for but Mourinho was proven right in the end!

I'm quite gutted as an Arsenal fan that the rumours of us pursuing Vidal didn't come to anything. I'm not going to claim to watch him very often, and there was talk online of him not being at his best recently but he's a pretty tasty midfield. Juve losing Pirlo and Vidal in one window? Kinda suggests Pogba's not going anywhere. I don't really think we need him anyway with Ramsey, Wilshere, Santi, Coquelin, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Bielik etc. already vying for the two in the base of our midfield!

Downing going back to 'Boro was nice for me to see as I used to have quite the soft spot for them way back when... Football Manager will do that to a man, lol.

And I can't comment on the Stuani situation either unfortunately
You must be the first person I have seen who isn't a City fan to be 100% positive about the Sterling transfer. Everyone else wants to convince themselves he will be a waste. I think he will be good for them, but will probably struggle to ever justify £49m.

I think it's a good time for Casillas to move on, it's a bit of a shame he couldn't retire though. I always like and respect one club players, but everyone collects some retirement money these days I suppose.

I'm sure Juve know what they're doing with Vidal, they have rarely made a transfer mistake in recent years. I'm not sure he will have as important a role for Bayern. Arsenal will be fine without him as you say, I think. It would have been a good signal of intent for them though, like Ozil & Sanchez in previous seasons.

I'm mainly hoping Went will look in the thread sometime in the near future to comment on Stuani, but outside of that it's a longshot.
Old 1 Week Ago (02:57 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Shak.
Silver Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Nuke:
Which team do you support? Just interested because you said Vidal etc. are depressing.
Arsenal fan.
All of our DM targets have been slipping away, and Vidal was the last one. I'm convinced now that we wont sign a DM, which is kinda disappointing
(Schneiderlin went to Man U, Carvalho broke his leg, Kondogbia joined inter and I'm not all that keen on the bender brothers.)

Quote originally posted by TurkishDelight:
COYG
Hopefully we can lift the title this year despite not buying a world class DM
Though if Le Coq does what he did last season consistently, he'll sure propel himself to world class status
Old 6 Days Ago (04:44 AM).
Dragonlord of the Seas

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Nuke:
I'm sure Juve know what they're doing with Vidal, they have rarely made a transfer mistake in recent years. I'm not sure he will have as important a role for Bayern. Arsenal will be fine without him as you say, I think. It would have been a good signal of intent for them though, like Ozil & Sanchez in previous seasons.
We'll need a sturdy DM it isn't a bad fit, and Schweini isn't really coming up with the goods recently what with his on-off form and fitness. League should be the target this season, but I really think that Pep has got to change his style if we are to challenge for the Champions League title.

Running through Hoenn with 子明 Gyarados, 仲谋 Delphox, 晋磊 Latios, 沉香 Latias, 奉孝 Rayquaza (shiny), 子衡 Sceptile.
Legendary status: (caught) Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Terrakion, Azelf, Zekrom, Mesprit, Thundurus, Heatran, Lugia, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Landorus, Kyurem, Uxie, Dialga, Giratina, Cobalion, Cresselia, Virizion; (transfer) Tornadus, Reshiram, Palkia; (event) Rayquaza

Prepping for teamlocke with 子明 Magikarp, 仲谋 Fennekin, 元芳 Ralts, 略商 Aerodactyl, 无忌 Absol, 辛月 Goomy
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)