• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

a new competitor in the smartphone OS area ??

whats the best smartphone operating system right now ?

• android (latest version in market being jellybean 4.2)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • ios

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • windows smartphone os

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • blackberry 10

• Sailfish OS (based on meego )

• Total voters

srinator

for a long time now the biggest competition in the smartphone arena was ios vs android , but recently others such as windows and BlackBerry 10 , although both of them have not been doing so well in the market i see a lot of potential in windows .

recently operating systems like the Ubuntu touch or the not so recent but yet very innovative meego and even the Firefox OS is coming into the picture .

ever since i got my my first phone , thankfully an android , the xperia go , i have been sucked into the world of various operating systems and well phones in general.

even though most people underrate most if not all of Nokia's efforts in developing a high quality windows phone , i see potential and i bet they will be a lead competitor if not already one :)

so in the last i have to ask , what do you guys think ?

will the future be the same as now or do you certain os/brand in mind that will definitely be a threat to the present leaders

~srinator

Nomine

サトセレ
Years
I'm surprised not to see this thread booming! For me, it's Android. I love everything they've packed into Jellybean 4.2.2. I think 4.3 will be releasing later this year as well... I've seen iOS 7 and it looks promising. I'll stick to what I know though! (My Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One) For now, I think the battle is between iOS and Android.

I don't really think I answered your question though, so I'll go more in depth here. I saw BB's quarterly reports and, well, they weren't looking too good. I think they need another innovative piece of hardware. The Q10 just released and apparently it's making some good sales, so we'll see about that. It definitely has the potential; it just needs that "oomph."

I can see a lot of potential in Windows Phone as well. The only thing is that its user base is not up there with Android and iOS. I think they need to spread more; focus in key markets like China, Europe, etc. So far, Nokia and Windows Phone are doing pretty well... especially with that new-fangled camera tech they're incorporating into their smartphones.

As for the others, I can't really speak about them because I've never used them. Ubuntu looks promising, for sure. Not sure about Firefox's OS though. I'll have to check up on that one. Sorry for the long post. This is a topic that I love to talk about!

Last edited:

srinator

i am really not sure about 4.3 since for a long time i was under the impression 5.0 or something similar allegedly called key lime pie was next in line. but well we will see.

yes right now the battle is pretty much between ios and android and in my opinion android is slowly winning, the key factors that was going for ios like smooth touch or the very few glitches and bugs , android has improved on that . ever since jellybean also known as project butter the smoothness of android has significantly improved. and with each version number of bugs and glitches are gone along with better improvements and features.

nokia is doing well with their lumia range. with the recent release of low range but still consisting of proper windows aesthetics is really a win for them.

the length doesn't matter lol i love this subject too and how much ever i talk about this or know is less .

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I come to this thread and I learn about the other OS that I haven't heard of! xD I assume it's an international thing.

I really wish the battle of the smartphones right now wasn't "Apple vs Android" because it doesn't give the others a chance to shine while people are just simply buying iPhones or Android phones. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm an Android user but I still have a soft spot for Apple or Blackberry. My dad's a blackberry user and he wants his next phone to be a Blackberry. So, at least there's not many people out there that don't prefer Apple or Android.

A problem I saw between Windows and Blackberry is because it's not matching the same quality as the two top phones. Windows has lack of common apps, as the phone OS is basically a computer in your hand (it has word preinstalled iirc?) And Blackberry...well, I think Blackberry's already working on matching Android with its extensive app store, problem is that their phone construction is sucky (I went to costco the other day and they still haven't moved on from keyboards. Only one phone has all-touch screen).

I really, really, really want to see how the Ubuntu phone will do once it's released. Judging from the articles I have read in the past, it's probably going to top Android for OS quality, and app usage (in Ubuntu you can basically do anything with it xD).

Last edited:
Years
The common thing though about Apple and Android is that developers are releasing the most apps for those two operating systems more than Windows mobile and Blackberry.. maybe if developers were developing more and more for Windows Phone and Blackberry, those two operating systems could be a success in the market. That's just how I see those two being put back by iOS and Android.

As for Sailfish, never heard of it O.o

srinator

meego was the first actual name and version of sailfish , they released this O.S through Nokia first but unfortunately nokia did not continue with it. hence a a brand called jolla picked meego and are making with the O.S and called it sailfish O.S.

The main problem with developers is ease , i mean the short range of apple products allow developers to fully tune their apps with each model and hence avoid situations of non-compatibility . android , the amount of brands and models that use this O.S is large that u will encounter incompatibility issues on many non-famous phones. although the flexibility of android attract developers and it has a pretty good app diversity pretty much comparable to that of the ios.

as soon as more people buy and use phones like bb or lumia , more developers will be attracted.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I think that iOS is good for people who don't know much about smartphones, but want to stay updated with current technology. iOS is a very restricted operating software that doesn't allow a lot of freedom to its users, but prevents you from destroying your phone.
Android is good for people who know what they're doing. Android allows for a lot of customization and editing, but can easily turn into a spam pit of ads from third-party apps and making dangerous modifications to your phone's files.
I have little experience with Windows phones, so I don't really have an opinion about the Microsoft Mobile OS. From what I've heard, it's not that great.
As for Blackberry 10 and Sailfish OS, I've never used them (or even heard of them lol) so I don't have any opinion on them.

IMO, it will be hard to survive against the oligarchy that is iOS and Android. They have such a large reputation and are improving at the speed of light. It would take a large team of very skilled programmers to catch up to iOS and Android.

One last note, my favorite operating software is iOS, but only if it's jailbroken. It allows for the freedom of Android while preserving most of the safety of iOS.

Last edited:
Back