• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I was just wondering if anyone here liked them, because I did and I think they are really underrated, that's all
I would have suggested making a thread about Rangers but... you already created one =D
I don't think they are underrated... it's more like... people are skeptical either because of new mechanics or because they actually tried the first Ranger.

MocasFocas

artist
Years
hi guys
i wanted to know your opinion in witch move set i shold use in my leafeon.
'cus e realy love him and i wanted to use it in my battles.

Jak

daяk εco frεak
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2014
Well you gotta tell us what game this is for. lol Though I think you'd be better suited using Battle Center. Pretty sure there's a thread in there for help with a single Pokemon's moveset, so this would fit in better there.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
hi guys
i wanted to know your opinion in witch move set i shold use in my leafeon.
'cus e realy love him and i wanted to use it in my battles.

Could've gone to the Battle Center and posted in the Simple Questions thread, tbh.

Anyway:
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 136 HP/120 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll

or
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Return/Double-Edge
-Heal Bell/Baton Pass
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 160 HP/124 Atk/224 Spe

or
-Wish
-Protect
-Leaf Blade
-Heal Bell/Yawn
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
How can my Pokemon turn weak?

Im not certain how to explain my problem, but a while ago, I just decided to play Ruby - and then I got kinda back into Pokemon again, and decided to try out X/Y. In Ruby, I caught a Ralts in lvl 4 or so which turned out as my rampaging Pokemon throughout the game. So I decided to get a Ralts again in my X game, as they were catchable very early. I recall I should level my Pokemon by myself to make them as strong as possible, and I think the one I got was around 8-10ish. However, now I have a team of 5 Pokemon, and my Ralts (now evolved into Kirlia or something) is my weakest Pokemon. This is kinda odd, as my previous in Ruby was such a beast. I didnt pay too much attention to the starter stats, I just made sure it did not have a decreasing SP Attack Nature. Her SP Attack now are about 30 or something, while on my starter Pokemon (that fire fox thing) is like 60 ish (I can get the right numbers once I get back on my 3DS). Anyway, she is so extremely weak. When I level her, she also just gets 1, max 2 in SP Attack, while my others gets 2-3 in their Attack or SP Attack. How come?

I have had this trouble before too, I remember using Scizor one time, and in my next game, he was a catastrophe.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
She probably just has lousy IVs. Your Ralts in Ruby, alternatively, may have had a Special Attack boosting nature and fantastic IVs. Each Pokemon's stats are unique to the individual through the EV/IV/Nature system, so sometimes that kind of thing happens. Have you tried Super Training for Special Attack?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
Does IVs really matter THAT much? IVs are just were the "starter stats" are placed, right? Its not possible she have LOWER than others (in total)? I dont really get that neither, cause her defense feels weaker too. And I bet if I compare her to my starter Pokemon, which also is second-evolved and caught at about the same level, her stats are way lower. I dont know what to expect? Should I aim to have about the same SP Attack as my FireFox?

In my other game, my Gardevoir had a nature to increase Speed. I remember reading about natures a bit after, but I felt she was doing great anyway, even though I would prefer SP A +. The other thing is, I feel like her defense is just way lower than before too. Its really odd, this whole thing.

Also, whats Super Training? I remember reading about certain Pokemon that gives you the desired +stat when you defeat them. Is this it? And if it is, is it the pokemon you defeat when you level up that matters, or is it the whole level?

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Also, whats Super Training? I remember reading about certain Pokemon that gives you the desired +stat when you defeat them. Is this it? And if it is, is it the pokemon you defeat when you level up that matters, or is it the whole level?

You're thinking of EVs. Effort Values. You gain EVs when defeating certain Pokémon and there is a different type of EV for each stat. The more EVs in a stat you gain the higher that stat will go.

Super Training is closely linked however. It's activated through one of the panels on the 3DS touch screen. Super Training is a minigame of sorts which rewards you with EVs in your chosen stat. If you put EVs into your chosen stat, likely Speed and Sp.Attack considering the usual Gardevoir build, it should give them that extra stopping power that you're looking for.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
Ow, okay.. Didnt know about that super training stuff, Ill check it out. Maybe she will get stronger as a Gardevoir. I guess Kirlia in general gets lower stats than my others.

Thanks for replies :)

EDIT: Upon evolving to Gardevoir, she increased SP Attack from 51 to 91... I guess its just Kirlia thats low in stats :D

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
Help! I am very bad at managing my team in Pokémon games. I spend all of my time battling with my starter Pokémon because he is the strongest, but then when my starter faints, everyone else is too weak to do anything about the enemy! I have tried using EXP share, but it still doesn't help as much as I need it to to succeed in the game.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Help! I am very bad at managing my team in Pokémon games. I spend all of my time battling with my starter Pokémon because he is the strongest, but then when my starter faints, everyone else is too weak to do anything about the enemy! I have tried using EXP share, but it still doesn't help as much as I need it to to succeed in the game.
why not try battling with your favorites once in a while? or how about capturing the strongest pokemon in the wild and start from there? buying super potions doesn't hurt much, too, if you're still at the beginning of the game..

it may also help if you come up with a team and give each member a role (e.g this guy will take care of dragons, this one will take on rock-types -- regardless of it's typing). That way, you can probably manage your exp distribution more easily.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
Yeah, as said, EVs and IVs.

IVs affect the core stats heavily, while EVs allow you to boost the stats once the IVs have set out how high they can actually go.

A Pokemon with awful IVs can be EV trained to become... less awful. Meanwhile, an amazing IV Pokemon which is not EV trained never reaches its full potential.

IVs say how high you can jump, and give you the first jump. EVs give you the double jump to be able to make it.

Jak

daяk εco frεak
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2014
Box your starter and go play in the grass. If your starter is boxed, you can't rely on it like you normally would and you'll have to rely on the other Pokemon in your party. Play around there, see which Pokemon you enjoy using, and what you like, you should train to catch up in level with your starter and move on from there.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2013
New to Pokemon - Advice Please :)

Growing up, my parents refused to get a game system that couldn't be shared between my brother and I. So, I never got to play Pokemon, despite really wanting to. Now that I have a 3DS, I decided to buy Pokemon X. Do you guys have any tips for a first time player? Thanks :)

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
First off, welcome to the forums. I hope you have a great time!

I'd love to help you with anything specific, but like Beyond said above, you should check out the Q&A thread.

My only "advice" would be to have a blast and come share your stories with us!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Visit sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia. They're a great resource for info and the game mechanics involved in pokemon. Take in a bit at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
Welcome to the club! Nice to see new fans finally get a chance to play. First, play at least through 4 gyms, that would be my recommendation, a lot of the game's concepts can be discovered that way pretty easily and then you can decide what portions of the game you want to focus on.

Some people are breeders, others are battlers, some are collectors. After you get a feel for the game, you'll figure out which you are, then do as Sabrewulf says, check the sites for information that can help you.

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back