• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
On another topic, I was wondering about the rival's choice. Do y'all think that the rival might not actually chose the leftover starter, and rather something brand new with an advantage over you?

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
On another topic, I was wondering about the rival's choice. Do y'all think that the rival might not actually chose the leftover starter, and rather something brand new with an advantage over you?

That would be quite surprising if that actually would happen but I dont know. It isn't much of a challenge to beat them even if they have an advantage over you, they're still too easy to beat.

I think that Gamefreak should step their game up with trainers and the rival being much much stronger if you're going to have a starter that's strong against your rivals. If the rival still get that advantage over you, I think that Gamefreak still have to make the rival and general trainers much more stronger. The game is just too easy sometimes. Some probably thinks that the game is balanced but I would still like to see it getting a bit harder than the previous games.

Last edited:

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I highly doubt that. It has been tradition that the rival chooses a Pokemon from the same starter batch given by the professor. GF is not likely to suddenly make a huge change from what it has done for many, many years.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well they've made lots of other traditional changes, actually. I mean, they could use something found much later on but at the same level, however when it's at level 50 it's 10x more powerful than your starter, making it a real challenge for you as it grows up, and you face the rival more.

WishCookie

Years
Well they've made lots of other traditional changes, actually. I mean, they could use something found much later on but at the same level, however when it's at level 50 it's 10x more powerful than your starter, making it a real challenge for you as it grows up, and you face the rival more.

Thats actually a good idé but however, I dont think it should necessarily be 10x stronger xD Maybe 5? ^^ I would also like to battle my rival alot more often, always fun to wipe their faces (if the rival is the ''I'm stronger than you cry baby''-guy, I'm thinking Gary etc)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well 10x was just random :x But yeah certainly the whole I'm-better-than-you type rival would definitely be along those lines if there was to be a really strong opposing-the-starter Pokemon.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... wouldn't it be interesting to actually have a rival that actually acts friendly throughout the adventure and then at the end... it turns out that he is the leader of the evil team? That's something similar to Evice from Pokémon Colosseum.

But I feel it would bring that big surprise to everyone at the end, where you have to battle him to save the new region from destruction.

WishCookie

Years
Hm... wouldn't it be interesting to actually have a rival that actually acts friendly throughout the adventure and then at the end... it turns out that he is the leader of the evil team? That's something similar to Evice from Pokémon Colosseum.

But I feel it would bring that big surprise to everyone at the end, where you have to battle him to save the new region from destruction.

Njaa, that seems like a good idéa but we have our rival in black 2/white 2 thats friendly but luckly who isn't the leader, but i think that it would be too predictable if the storyline contains your rival being in a rush 24/7.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
It should be way more awarding to fight and beat your rival, imo. Nowadays they are just, childhood friends from home. I'd like your rival to be like, a moral enemy this time! A rival that would side with evil or more anti-heroism~! That'd be cool!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'll like it if the rival were like Wally, looks fragile but later gets strong. If they do 2 rivals like in BW I'm hoping for that Dynamic, with the boy being the weak bodied one like Wally, and the girl being strong and a jerk like Blue.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years

A 10/17 year old being the head of an Evil organisation ? That doesn't sound right. However, i would LOVE if they somehow do another Silver. I am tired of "childhood friend" rivals.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Wasn't N that though? A prominent figure that could be considered your league rival, until you find out he's really with TP. I don't think we need that again. Something I would really like is if your rival is really the recent league champion. He could be in the need for a fresh start to enlighten himself, and on his journey to his home town, perhaps your's even, he sees you playing with your new starter. This reminds him of his self a couple of years ago, and decides to play the role of your rival. An older, wiser mentor who doesn't hold back, and someone you eventually surpass. The twist would be while you do beat him many times, he always held back, until your true champion battle.

Guy

just a guy
Years
What if our rival was a significant member of the evil team and we knew it from the moment we met him? He could be the child of the team's leader kind of like Silver, but this time he fights believing in his parent(s)' goals. However, he's been so cut off from the world and kept under his parents' wings, that he doesn't realize that there's so much more out there that he doesn't know about the world, the people, and Pokémon. So when he meets us, he becomes intrigued by how persistent we are to stop him and his family. Which will all lead up to the point of him realizing that what his family and their evil organization are up to is wrong.

I, myself, have grown kind of weary of the childhood friend rival. I wouldn't mind it so much if we had a second rival that spiced things up a bit. Actually, I hope we have more than one rival in general.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The only regions that didn't have childhood rivals were Johto and Hoenn (ironic as the main characters from those games came from Johto, remember May/Brandon didn't grow up in Hoenn). So it'll be kind of nice to see that again, especially with 3 (well 4 due to BW having 2) childhood friends as rivals in a row (not counting HgSs).

If we only get one rival whose sex isn't determined by your players than I hope it's a girl, I'm tired of all the male rivals (May and Bianca have been the only ones with the two going on to help the proffesor in research...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back