• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Generation Travel Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemount

Hello
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
Entry 7.

I left Cianwood City after beating the gym there and headed for Olivine City to deliver the medicine. Once the lighthouse pokemon was healed Jasmine returned to her gym where I then challenged her. She led with a Magnemite and I led with my Onix. Magnemite was down after one dig. She then sent out Steelix, which defeated Onix with a few iron tails. Next I used Chinchou which knocked out Steelix with surf. She followed up with her final Magnemite, which was all so knocked out by Chinchou. I obtained the Mineral Badge and TM 23 iron tail from defeating Jasmine. After the gym match I decided to investigate the newly finished Safari Zone. I defeated trainers along the path towards it and rested at the Pokemon Center. While I was there I traded Slugma for a Houndour.

After my victory at the Olivine Gym and Safari Zone adventure, I made my way back to Ecruteak once more, but instead went eastward towards Mahogany Town. I rested up upon arriving and then headed north towards the Lake of Rage. I defeated several trainers along the way. I then noticed a shiny, red Gyarados swimming about and decided to investigate, and soon enough I was battling it. Chinchou managed to dispatch it quite easily due to it's x4 weakness to electricity. Once defeated I met a dragon trainer named Lance who told me to help him investigate a building in Mahogany Town. We soon discovered a trap door in the building and found ourselves in Team Rocket's secret hideout. There were tons of grunts everywhere, which were all defeated by Lance and I. We also managed to shut off the power source of the radio signals by defeating multiple Electrodes.

Once the Team Rocket ordeal was done I headed to the Mahogany Gym. I challenged its leader, Pryce. He led with a Seel and I led with Chinchou. Chinchou easily defeated it with two sparks and only taking damage from hail. He then sent out Piloswine which was massively hurt from surf, but managed to knock out Chinchou. I sent out Houndour, whom managed to down Piloswine with two ember attacks. He then ended with Dewgong and took out Houndour. I sent in Onix next to deal some damage with rock tomb. Once Onix was defeated I went to Larvitar and managed to defeat Dewgong with a rock slide. For defeating Pryce I received the Glacier Badge and TM 07 Hail.

Current Team:

Chinchou Lvl. 32
Eevee Lvl. 31
Onix Lvl. 30
Houndour Lvl. 30
Golbat Lvl. 29
Larvitar Lvl. 33

In Storage/Rotation:

Bayleef Lvl. 28

In Daycare:

Quilava Lvl. 27+
Scyther Lvl. 27+

Entry 8.

After defeating the Mahogany Gym I decided to head for the Whirl Islands to do some exploring. Along the way there I snagged a Heracross while headbutting some trees. Once I was at the Islands I found a few items and also captures a wild Horsea!

Once I was done exploring I headed to Goldenrod City where I saw Team Rocket had control of the Radio Tower. I defeated all the grunts, executives, leaders, etc. Chinchou evolved into a Lanturn and Houndour and evolved into a Houndoom along the way! I also went to the Pokemon Center and evolved Onix into a Steelix!

After expelling Team Rocket from the Radio Tower I was rewarded a Rainbow Wing. I then Headed east of Mahogany town for some training. I managed to train Heracross to lvl. 30, and also evolve Horsea into a Seadra! I also did some training with Golbat and evolved it into a Crobat. Larvitar also received some training and then evolved into Pupitar! I also did a good amount of fishing there and captured a Remoraid! I then made a quick stop back to the Daycare House. I switched out Bayleef and put in Remoraid.

Current Team:

Bayleef Lvl. 30
Eevee Lvl. 35
Heracross Lvl. 30
Seadra Lvl. 32
Scyther Lvl. 31
Pupitar Lvl. 37

In Rotation:

Steelix Lvl. 34
Lanturn Lvl. 34
Crobat Lvl. 35
Houndoom Lvl. 32

In Daycare:

Quilava Lvl. 30+
Remoraid Lvl 20+

Last edited:

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
introduction
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello because this is my first travel journal! I've been replaying one of each series of games in an effort to satisfy my "completionist" nature -- for me this means training all of the Pokemon I catch & filling up my Pokedex for each game I play! So far I've gotten through FireRed & Emerald, and I'm right in the middle of Platinum! Hope you enjoy!

entry one: canalave city/iron island
I finally finished training outside of Canalave City, & decided to check out the library & the gym in town. However, while I was crossing the bridge, Barry showed up & of course wanted yet another battle. Even though I had just finished training up my team, I had a harder time beating him than normal -- he was able to knock out a few of my Pokemon, but in the end I was able to win yet again. He seemed a little bit salty about it, actually...

Once I was done dealing with Barry, I spent a little time in the library looking up the Sinnoh region legends. Most of them didn't make sense to me... a lot of stuff about lake guardians? Hopefully I'll find out what that means later on in my journey.

I felt ready to take on the gym leader in Canalave, Byron, even though some local townsfolk suggested I train at Iron Island first. I decided I'd use my fighting-type Pokemon, along with some fire & ground types as backup.

Gym Lineup:
67.gif
Atlas the Machoke
308.gif
Lotus the Medicham
392.png
Dante the Infernape
126.gif
Melisandre the Magmar
195.gif
Marshall the Quagsire

I won the gym badge pretty handily, thanks to type advantages and all the training I had done before reaching Canalave City. I headed back to the Pokemon Center to heal & switch up my team members, and then hopped onto the ferry to Iron Island.

I poked around inside the cave for a while, battling trainers and hunting for cool items. I also met a friendly trainer named Riley, who told me that he had heard about some weird disturbances deep in the mine. The two of us teamed up and explored even deeper in the cave, and sure enough -- we ended up finding a few Galactic Grunts who were no doubt behind the strange noises & disturbances.

As a thank you for helping him figure out what was going on, Riley gave me a mysterious egg, and I managed to find two important items -- a Shiny Stone & a Metal Coat! I decided not to try to catch a Steelix after finding the Metal Coat (I'll just evolve the Onix I've trained). Now just to decide if I should evolve my Togetic or my Roselia with this stone... After a boat trip back to to the mainland and a long bike ride, the egg hatched into a young Riolu! Definitely worth all that time poking around in the mine.

New Pokemon:
447.png
Anubis the Riolu

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
CHAPTER II | "Caves and Wells"

Caught a Hoppip and trained it to be even with the members of my team.

Went inside the cave when I was done, battled all trainers, explored all accessible areas.

Exited the cave and headed to Azalea Town and spoke with the Apricorn/PokéBall guy named Kurt. He ran off to fight Team Rocket who was at the well east of the town.

Followed him and saw that he hurt himself chasing the Rocket Grunts.

Went deeper into the well, found some items and then took at all the Grunts and then battled Proton.

After beating Rocket out and before leaving. Found a Slowpoke that I caught. Decided I'd train him for the team.

Now I'm east of Azalea training Slowpoke to be on the same level as the rest of the team.

9f4ff62e1cac93756ef9133f3d56eb6ea8471d096b49a6ace.png

UPDATED AS OF 8.20.2013 -------->

CHAPTER IV | "Beat Dem Bugs"

Now with Slowpoke trained to an equal level with the rest of the team. We headed to the Gym. I can't remember the set of events but I beat both Benjamin "Ben" (My rival) and Bugsy in one go. During the Gym Hoppip evolved into Skipbloom and Pidgey into Pidgeotto. After acquiring the Badge I headed into the forest west of Azalea Town. I caught to Far'fetches for a trainer who lost them in the woods and he rewarded me with HM01; Cut. I taught it to Croconaw and continued through the forest. Picking up a Headbutt TM from a gentlemen deep in the woods smashing his head into trees.

After exiting the forest I battled all the trainers north of the exit of the forest and ran into LoserLyra, forcibly introducing me to her grandparents who run the Day-Care. After begrudgingly dealing with the trio I headed to Goldenrod.

1949911b0a4a52c7dcecb606fb321dd5c8652ded8d32bede8.png

CHAPTER V | "Goldenrod"

Exploring Goldenrod was a chore. I stopped at the Department Store, only went up one floor and bought some essentials. Then headed to the west side of town and answered some cheesy questions at the Radio Tower and got a Radio Card for my PokéGear. As well as the Blue Card from Mary on the 2nd floor.

After that I headed to the underground area and battled some trainers and came out on the other side and the other side of town. I stopped at the Bikeshop and agreed to advertise his Bike to get customers.

Finishing all that I headed to the Gym and battled all the trainers within and bested Whitney with some moderate trouble. (But only because of Attract) :3

At the check point between the Goldenrod and the route north of the city a gentlemen asked that he give a Spearow with a letter attached to it to his friend on the route directly east of Violet City. (We'll get there, just not right away)

Finally, I took a picture of my whole team thanks to a courteous photographer waiting on the route. :)

98ec5409c8ac46db478a7f4e63a6a1f291dbb897ced68183a.png

CHAPTER VI | "Moving Up and Beyond"

So I headed north and battled all the trainers on that route and entered the check point and entered the Bug Catching Contest (Tues. 8/20/2013) and won when I caught a Beedrill. The first Pokémon that appeared to me and I caught it.

Then I headed to the route east of the park and battled a psychic and a nerd. Headed North East and met with a very mean tree.

Sprayed some water on it and it attacked.

FLASHBACK (Between the events of Chapter V and VI): Got a SquirtleCan from the Flower Shop in Goldenrod.

Caught the Sudowoodo. And headed east from there. I trekked back through Violet City (Picking up Rock Smash on the way and teaching it to Flaafy) and stopped on the route east of VIolet City. Gave the Spearow to the sleeping gent and he thanked me and gave me something that is clearly not important enough for me to remember.

Headed towards Violet City again and back the way I came, headed North West from where Sudowoodo once stood and battled two double battles the Beauties giving me the most trouble.

Finally made it E. City (Can't remember the name of the town).

CHAPTER VII | "Morty, that Son of A ..."

My time in E. City was well spent. Battled a Grunt harassing a Kimono Girl. Beat him down and got the Surf HM from a kindly old man. Taught it to Slowpoke. I then proceeded to the Burnt Tower and encountered the pompous douche looking for Suicune. I also battled Ben again. Beat him. Headed into the tower and used my Dowsing Machine (got earlier) and found some items hidden. Beat some Fire Breathers and headed down the ladder. Encountered the three Legendary Hounds and Suicune approached me and ran away with the rest of them.

Quisine or whatever got jelly when Suicune came to me and ran off... I headed back up and went to the Gym finally.

Beat all the trainers rather easily and then I battled Morty. Spamming Hypnosis constantly and one-hitting my Slowpoke. I eventually overcame him with Croconaw and his bite.

Got my fourth badge and saved n' quit.

6e261220a41eb1f4b1500c0158d4ddbeb79cdd297551afb29.png

PS: NO MOOD TO SPELLCHECK! Lmao. Enjoy.

Last edited:

encas

Don't tread on me.
Years
On Monday, my boyfriend traded me his copy of Heart Gold (with the Pokewalker) for my spare copy of White 2. So ever since then, I've been doing a nice playthrough.

Currently, I'm exiting Ilex Forest. I had to backtrack a little, since I wanted an Aipom, and with only two badges, I couldn't find any unless I wanted to wait until I approach Mt. Mortar. They are surprisingly pesky to catch!

Player name: Moriah

Spr_4h_190_m.png

Eddie the Aipom (Jolly Male, Lv. 5)

The reason I still need to defeat Whitney. Eddie needs a lot of training, but my other party members need more experience, too.

Spr_4h_167.png

Nolan the Spinarak (Jolly male, Lv. 18)

Since I'm playing Heart Gold, I really wanted to use Spinarak. Nolan has been surprisingly useful for a Pokemon that is so poor competitively.

Spr_4h_153.png

Billy the Bayleef (Calm male, Lv. 19)

My starter. I prefer choosing Chikorita, since there are so many good Water (and to a lesser extent, Fire) types in Johto.

Spr_4h_120.png

Marcelle the Staryu (Timid, Lv. 18)

I obtained Marcelle via the Pokewalker. So far, she's been useful (and fast!). :)

T!M

Years
CHAPTER VIII | "Training for Days"

So after beating Morty I headed to the National Park and battled some trainers in the early morn and my Skipbloom finally evolved into a Jumppuff. At some more battles I realized the sad truth. His stats were horrible and having him on the team was hurting more than helping. I stuck him in the box and decided to pull out Geodudette, seeing the nature was fine I began training her south of Goldenrod, very annoying to train her to equal levels with the others in the team (Level 27) so after training Geodudette into the proper level (getting her into a Graveller before the training finished) I used the PokéDex to track down the sixth and final member of the party.

I headed to Mt. Mortar and found Machop and captured him. Then I headed to the west of E. City. After 17 levels I finished training him and put him one more level to get him to Machoke. Then I traded him with my other DS to get Machamp and Golem. After that I headed South West and battled all the trainers and enetered Olivine City and met with Ben. Complaining that the leader wasn't there. I explored the city, stopping at every house and talking to every person and then headed to the light house after receiving word that Jasmine was there.

I battled everyone in the light house and got to Jasmine who was looking after a sick Amphros. Speaking of which, one my way up the tower. Croconaw evoled into a Feraligator and my Flaaffy into a Amphros. I saved n' quit in the top of the light house.

e874b83c722a07ebbd136deb8ea7127161fdc350e29698a69.png

Elixir.

Fly Away
Years
So I decided to replay Platinum to start building my Pokemon collection for X and Y. This will be my first time playing a Sinnoh game in over a year, so hopefully I'll be able to fully enjoy it.

Platinum Journey #1
I started the game up, and was pretty glad to see all the snow in Twinleaf Town. I think it's a lot nicer than regular Twinleaf Town in D/P. Anyway, I proceeded to the house of my rival (Barry) and went to Route 201 with him. Professor Rowan then walked up out of nowhere and decided to give us Pokemon for being so reckless. I chose Piplup while Barry chose Turtwig. We then battled with our new Pokemon. I won, of course. We then went to Lake Verity and met some strange blue-haired man named Cyrus. We then tried to catch the legendary Pokemon at Lake Verity, but couldn't because we lacked any "P-O-K-accent-E Balls!" Then we raced to Sandgem Town to stock up. When we got to Sandgem Town, Rowan entrusted us two complete strangers with our very own Pokedex and a task of catching all know Pokemon. Lucas, his assistant, then showed me around town and called me poor, saying I couldn't afford anything at the Pokemart. Jerk. Then I went home to tell my mother about everything before I embarked on my adventure. After informing my own mother, Barry's mother came over and told me to deliver a package to Barry in Jubilife City. I accepted and went on my way. Arriving at Jubilife City, I met a man codenamed Looker and delivered the package to Barry. I proceeded to Oreburgh City and destroyed Roark's team. Then made my back to Jubilife and started towards Floaroma Town.

Spr_4p_393.png

Lvl. 15
Pound | Growl | Bubble | Peck

Spr_4p_397_m.png

Lvl. 15
Tackle | Double Team | Quick Attack | Wing Attack

Spr_4p_406.png

Lvl. 12
Absorb | Growth | Return | Stun Spore

Last edited:

T!M

Years
Chapter XI | "8 Down, League to Go"

A lot of stuff happened so I think it would be better if I bullet point things as opposed to typing in paragraph form.

KEY NOTES

• Evolved rest of team.
• Beat Jasmine.
• Beat Chuck.
• Beat Pryce.
• Beat Clair.
• Defeated Team Rocket
• Fought Red Gyarados but since I caught a blue one earlier I saw no need to catch a illegitimate shiny.
• Beat the Kimono Girls
• Saved n' Quit outside the Whirlpool Islands. (Or whatever)

02394d35de4ced850b86c90f59b19ddb53a6fc5cb21f78f1c.png

kosuke

Extraterrestrial DNA
Years
I just started my Platinum, and hey.. i'd like to share my progress..

okay, here goes...

CHAPTER I : A New Journey, and A Gym's Defeat

I can right a whole essay about this, but to make the long story short, i'll just state the important events.

• started my adventure
  • chose Turtwig as my Starter
  • defeated my Rival
  • got my Pokedex and Pokeballs
  • got a Town Map and Poketch at Jubilife City
  • entered Oreburgh City
  • looked for Roark at the Mines
  • Turtwig evolved!
  • defeated Roark (difficulty = 1/10)
  • caught a Geodude for HM purposes
  • saved my game somewhere deep in Oreburgh Gate

Kosuke's current team (excluding HM slave/s)

388.png

Twist, the Rash Grotle - Lv.20 @None
Overgrow
Tackle | Curse | Absorb | Razor Leaf

remarks: yup, still one pokemon, but we're doing good. i'm sure i'm gonna catch my second pokemon pretty soon. :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Well, lots has happened since my last update. I've got the National Pokédex, migrated 6 pokémon (Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Wynaut, Manectric, Salamence) from Emerald, completed the Battle Zone (including capturing Heatran. Got bored of Battle Tower before one set was up though). And today I traded over my HeartGold team from 2011, travelled to Shaymin's white rock, then released Cresselia as a roaming pokémon, before defeating the Elite Four. Didn't even have to use an item :)
Here's the team:
Spr_4d_160.png

Feraligatr
lv. 82
Hardy
Crunch / Superpower / Ice Punch / Waterfall

This guy has the most ribbons out of all my pokémon - ahead of Scizor and Latios (latter is still in Gen III, has contest ribbons so will most likely end up having the most). Effort Ribbon, Sinnoh Champ, all 6 mood ribbons, Gorgeous & Royal ribbons from the institute, and of course Legend Ribbon for defeating Red. Like all of my HeartGold team, has Pokérus.

Spr_4d_468.png

Togekiss
lv. 80
Timid
Hustle ability
Aura Sphere / Extrasensory / Air Slash / Extremespeed

Did have Double-Edge, removed for Defog. Went to the move tutor and found it couldn't learn it - I guess if you didn't evolve the pokémon in that game, the move tutor can't teach pre-evolution's moves?

Spr_4d_467.png

Magmortar
lv. 80
Timid
Overheat / Focus Blast / Rock Climb / Thunderbolt

Love that this guy gets Thunderbolt. Just...love it.

Spr_4d_212_m.png

Scizor
lv. 78
Sassy
Technician ability
Bullet Punch / X-Scissor / Night Slash / Rock Smash

Couldn't believe my luck when I got a Scyther with Technician. Loved it instantly due to Cut and Rock Smash being powerful moves. Also loved how the once-feared Lucario was dispatched with Bullet Punch in my Champion re-match.

Spr_4d_171.png

Lanturn
lv. 76
Brave
Volt Absorb ability
Stockpile / Discharge / Surf / Ice Beam

Again, was so glad to capture a Chinchou with the right ability, even if its only really good for trolling Lt. Surge in HGSS as I don't battle competitively :)

Spr_4d_208_m.png

Steelix "Rusty"
lv. 78
Brave
Rock Head ability
Earthquake / Double-Edge / Stone Edge / Iron Tail

Trading him from my own Steelix "Rocky" (also an in-game trade in HGSS) with Jasmine was a brilliant move. Brave nature + Rock Head means Double-Edge hits like a train...or a giant metal snake...without recoil.

encas

Don't tread on me.
Years
Still playing Heart Gold. Currently, I've got 5 badges in my possession, and I'm searching for a Magmar in the Burned Tower to hatch a Slugma egg from Primo. My current team is quite solid, but I really need a Fire type before I go along and fight Jasmine; however, I was thinking of defeating the Rockets at Mahogany Town first.

Party:

Spr_4h_243.png

Bastille the Raikou (Jolly, Lv. 40)

I'm sure many of you have noticed how in nearly all of my playthroughs, that my party members have awesome natures for their species. But when I had just defeated Morty and was hunting the roaming beasts with a Golbat traded over from my Diamond, I just didn't care after a certain point. So, I settled for a Jolly nature on Bastille; this is only in-game, and at least it boosts his speed.

Spr_4h_153.png

Billy the Bayleef (Calm male, Lv. 28)

I feel like the only player here who needs to level up their starter. I certainly plan to do so before facing off against those Rockets.

Spr_4h_117.png

Earl the Seadra (Timid male, Lv. 32)

Another Pokemon traded over from my Diamond. So far, he's exceeded Marcelle's performance, and I know he'll come in handy against Clair.

Spr_4h_168.png

Nolan the Ariados (Jolly male, Lv. 32)

Nolan's still pulling his weight. However, he really needs better STAB moves than Poison Sting and Leech Life. -__-;

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Restarted the Platinum. This is a side project, and I may not even finish it, but I'll try to beat the game again. 4th gen slow speed makes me drowsy, but nice special effects for moves are appreciated.

Leonardo the Grotle L26
Mufasa the Luxio L24

Yes, I chose something other than Infernape this time. It was because I wanted to use Houndoom later on. Turtwig is quite good despite his bad nature (mine is Bold), and I wanted to give him a companion as soon as possible so I caught a Shinx with Intimidate because Luxray is boss.

Relevant fights... Roark was easy, I used Curse a few times and swept him with Leonardo. Grotle was also the star against Mars, Razor Leaf did the job against Purugly. Finally, against Gardenia I pumped Leonardo a little more with Curse. I Cursed four times against her Turtwig and used Bite to sweep her Pokémon. I'm a hipster so I don't use Staraptor and this is why I had a little trouble with Gardenia, but she never even touched me so it was all good.

I saved after the gym battle in Eterna.

One thing I hear a lot about 4th gen is that it's slow. It definitely is, but, in terms of playtime, I find it to be pretty similar to the other games. I reached Gardenia at the 3:30 mark, which was rather quick considering I had to grind Mufasa a little after I caught it and therefore reached Roark a little later than usual. Once I beat it, I'll compare to the other games. I beat Black in 20:00 and Black 2 in 30:00, and those are very fast-paced games.

encas

Don't tread on me.
Years
Ever since my last post, I have made lots of progress in Heart Gold, beating the Elite Four. Right now, I am training some of my team members on Route 44, having just backtracked and received Tyrogue from the Karate King.

Spr_4h_236.png

Kenta the Tyrogue (Jolly male, Lv. 12)

Spr_4h_250.png

Arco the Ho-Oh (Impish, Lv. 47)

Spr_4h_232_f.png

Betty the Donphan (Impish female, Lv. 48)

Spr_4h_230.png

Earl the Kingdra (Timid male, Lv. 51)

Spr_4h_178_f.png

Cleo the Xatu (Timid female, Lv. 48)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Current roster:

Leonardo the Torterra L32
Mufasa the Luxray L31

I was quite surprised to learn Grotle evolves at L32 because it evolves so late from Turtwig that I really thought he would evolve at L36 like Monferno does. But who cares, earlier is better, and he learns Earthquake with the level up too.

What I did today was one of the most boring parts of the game: the path to Hearthome City. Before, I beat Jupiter in the Eterna Hideout. It was scary because I decided to leave Leonardo against Skuntank and, even though I had a few Curses up my belt, Razor Leaf wasn't enough to take him down. So Mufasa had to save the day. Anyway, this part of the game is boring because there's the path to Wayward Cave and it takes quite a while to explore. I found Mira and funnily enough she was the one doing the killing because Kadabra was faster than both my Pokémon and one-shotted most things easily. After saving her from the darkness I went into the secret entrance, solved the puzzle and earned TM26 Earthquake, which I'm not gonna use.

I saved at Hearthome City. Luckily Fantina isn't too hard, although Torterra's main weapon (Earthquake) is useless against her.

blue

gucci
Years
So in preperation for Pokémon X & Y I decided to transfer my team from Heart Gold onto my White version and start a whole new game! I've already planned my team out which has a diverse mix of typings and I'm looking forward to seeing how this team develops.

So I just did the tutorial routines, i.e Choosing my Pokémon, meeting Mr. Pokémon, battling my Rival etc.

My team is currentlyyy;

155.png
Krakatoa ~ Lv. 7
016.png
Iris ~ Lv. 6
167.png
Spyder ~ Lv. 4

Meh I'm not very creative with nicknames but oh well, onwards with the journey!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Two team additions!

Leonardo the Torterra L37
Mufasa the Luxray L37
Spartacus the Kirlia L30
Nero the Houndoom L34

From the nickname, it's fairly obvious I'm going to evolve Kirlia into a Gallade, right? So he's staying at L30 until I find the Dawn Stone, which should be near Pastoria City.

The only important battle I had was against Fantina, and it was too easy. Mufasa soloed the gym brilliantly, OHKOing every single of Fantina's Pokémon. After that I beat the rival, which was easy since his team is fairly manageable.

I spent some time getting Spartacus to L30 then moved to Veilstone City. Once arriving there, I set out to catch a male Houndour (don't like the females of this species) with Flash Fire (because Early Bird sucks). It took a while because there seemed to be a Graveler outbreak, as well as the fact every male Houndour I found wanted to use Roar on me. This is a thing 5th gen fixed: the wild Pokémon can't use Roar on you to end the battle. But in 4th gen it's still difficult to catch Pokémon like Growlithe and Houndour because of this.

The third Houndour I caught had the requirements, so I trained it to a reasonable level. Next time I'll attack the Veilstone Gym, which should be easy since I'm overleveled and Leonardo can destroy Maylene's Lucario with Earthquake.

Ok I'm in Pastoria.

Leonardo the Torterra L40
Mufasa the Luxray L40
Spartacus the Gallade L40
Nero the Houndoom L40

Everyone and their grandma names their Houndoom "Cerberus". I found a name that's more fitting and way more creative.

Battles of note, the Maylene gym battle was, once again, very easy. I don't even remember how it went because it was so ridiculously easy I didn't even bother with strategy. Leonardo was used against Lucario and OHKOed with Earthquake.

Now I'm facing a problem because I don't know which Pokémon I'm going to use in the two remaining slots. I wanted a Flying-type and a Water-type. Gyarados fills the shoes nicely, but Gyarados is in every game... I don't want to repeat types, so Quagsire, Whiscash and Gastrodon are out (Torterra is already Ground-type). Milotic is too difficult to find and too difficult to evolve (needs Poffins). Vaporeon is boring. Seaking, Lumineon, Pelipper are all weak. Mantine is found too late in the game. Really, I've narrowed down my choices to two Pokémon, which I've never used: Octillery and Floatzel. I think Floatzel is better, but it also can't take a hit. Octillery is slower but learns better moves. Inb4 lolBibarel

Floatzel has a "cool" factor: a gym leader uses it as the main Pokémon. Doesn't help its cause much because the likes of Pidgeot and Zebstrika are also used by gym leaders as their main Pokémon, but it's something it has over Octillery (at least to me).

As for Flying-types, my choices are extremely limited. Platinum doesn't have Honchkrow, which I'd use otherwise (although not in this run since I already have Houndoom as a Dark-type). I'm a hipster so I don't use Staraptor. My Togepi was born with Hustle, so Togekiss is a no-no. Noctowl is too weak. Mothim and Vespiquen require Honey and are therefore worthless for a playthrough. Crobat would be a good choice... Except I want to use Crobat in HG and I don't want to repeat Pokémon in both games. Drifblim learns crap moves.

My options, therefore: Yanmega and Altaria. I'm almost leaning towards Altaria because Yanma is too hard to catch in that wretched Safari Zone of doom, but I like Yanmega more and I think it could be more useful than Altaria in the long run, because, well, Altaria learns no strong Flying-type moves by level up.

Last edited:

kosuke

Extraterrestrial DNA
Years
Platinum Update

• caught a Drifloon @ Valley Windworks
  • defeated Gardenia

My Team
Twist, the Lv28 Grotle
Drift, the Lv26 Drifloon

that's pretty much like it. :)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The team is complete! No more grinding! At least until E4.

Leonardo the Torterra L43
Mufasa the Luxray L43
Spartacus the Gallade L42
Nero the Houndoom L42
I.M.Weasel the Floatzel L42
Brundle the Yanmega L42

Really, training Brundle was a chore. He doesn't learn any good moves until very high levels, so I'm having to make do with Pursuit and Ancientpower.

I caught a bunch of Pokémon at the Great Marsh and cleared the area of items. Later on, I battled the rival, who at this point in the game is quite easy since I assaulted him with fully-evolved Pokémon while his own Pokémon are not. Crasher Wake would be more difficult, though not for me since Mufasa and Leonardo made him tap out quickly.

Next I'll tackle Route 212 before moving to Celestic Town.

Last edited:

kosuke

Extraterrestrial DNA
Years
Platinum Update once again...

Adventure Log (only super major events)
  • Drift evolved into Drifblim
  • Twist evolved into Torterra
  • defeated the Ghost-type gym leader...forgot her name.
  • defeated rival
  • defeated the Fighting-type gym leader...also forgot her name.
  • added a new team member: Skull the Houndour

Current Team
Twist, the Lv42 Torterra
Drift, the Lv40 Drifblim
Skull, the Lv23 Houndour (on the process of grinding her)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
So in a little downtime at Uni I've been playing HeartGold - I only brought my DSi so had to halt my progress through LeafGreen.
I'm currently at Goldenrod City, preparing to challenge Whitney - pokémon's most irritating gym leader (or major opponent, for that matter, as she annoys me more than May).
So, here's the team as of present, about half-assembled:

Spr_4h_156.png

Quilava
Male
Lv. 20
Hardy nature
holds Charcoal
Blaze ability
attacks: Quick Attack / Cut / Smokescreen / Flame Wheel

Spr_4h_151.png

Mew
Genderless
Lv. 17
Rash nature
Synchronize ability
attacks: Pound / Mega Punch / Flash / Rock Smash

Spr_4h_060.png

Poliwag
Male
Lv. 19
Rash nature
Water Absorb ability
attacks: Rain Dance / Headbutt / Hypnosis / Water Gun

Spr_4h_172N.png

Spiky-eared Pichu
Female
Lv. 30
Naughty nature
holds a Zap Plate
Static ability
attacks: Helping Hand / Volt Tackle / Swagger / Pain Split

Three of them four will most likely enter the Hall of Fame, although that could be a while as I have no way of obtaining a Politoed. Pichu will probably find herself replaced later on, but could return in Kanto.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023

The Adventure of Tai
-
Pokémon Soul Silver

September-25-2013 A legacy begins

Well, since I just got back into playing Pokemon on the DS I have decided to start with... Pokemon Soul Silver.

I begin the game with a strange man asking me strange questions...

My Name is Tai, I am a young boy with black hair, a cool yellow and black hat and a red jumper. I live in New Bark Town, I have no idea where Old Bark Town is.

I am sitting in front of my computer, it's a laptop I just finished raiding on WoW.

I run down stairs and my mother traps me in a corner telling me I am awake, she gives me some menu options.

I leave the house and a Marill corner's me it exlcaims and runs back to it's trainer.

I walk into the fancy looking lab and the bald guy tells me to walk with pokemon and gives me a choice of 3 spectacular pokemon and tells me that I need to meet a Mr. Pokemon.

Spr_2c_158.gif
Spr_2c_152.gif
Spr_2c_155.gif

I choose Totodile and name it "Teeth" since it has a powerful jaw. As soon as we leave the screen it pops out and jumps behind me.

Dr. Elm says some jibberish I try to leave when a guy gives me potions .

As soon as I leave that stereotypical friend gives me a friendship speech before telling me to see my...

MOTHER

She gives me my phone that she expects me to use.

I am about to leave the town when suddenly... a wierd man is standing at the window looking into the lab, I think he has gingeritus.

Adventure is nigh I begin my destiny into route 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back