• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I didn't trade often, I only ever traded to give my Pokemon a temporary home, or to evolve trade-only Pokemon. Orrrrr if I'm stuck, and my friend lets me borrow his Giratina for a bit. :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not such a huge trader, either. xD;; Most of the time, you would see me doing this only when I'm planning to start a new game and am wanting to give my Pokémon to someone for safekeeping. Not sure why, but for some reason, I find trading to be a bit of hassle.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Trading was never so popular anyway. However, you can get the extra Master Ball in Black/White by trading a certain number of times.
But competitive battles over WiFi and things are undoubtedly more popular. Connecting with other consoles sure is awesome, isn't it?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Trading was never so popular anyway. However, you can get the extra Master Ball in Black/White by trading a certain number of times.
But competitive battles over WiFi and things are undoubtedly more popular. Connecting with other consoles sure is awesome, isn't it?

Hm... really? XD I always thought trading was more popular, since it's one of the things that you needed to do in order to evolve certain Pokémon, build your desired team, fill up PokéDex, etc. As for battling, it's been a while since I've done it in any home consoles. Don't really doing this sort of stuff over them, either. Battling with handhelds is just much less complicated, haha.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Hm... really? XD I always thought trading was more popular, since it's one of the things that you needed to do in order to evolve certain Pokémon, build your desired team, fill up PokéDex, etc. As for battling, it's been a while since I've done it in any home consoles. Don't really doing this sort of stuff over them, either. Battling with handhelds is just much less complicated, haha.

Blame Smogon, it's all I can say.

Years
I've never really bothered with the multiplayer functions of the Pokemon games (at least, not the Wifi ones), so it surprises me a bit that battling is more popular than trading. I would've thought that with things like the GTS and now Wonder Trade, people would've been using that a lot more than going online to battle. Granted, this is also coming from a guy that barely understands how EVs work, so maybe I shouldn't be all that surprised :p

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Uh-huh. The thing is that people are behind rare Pokémon that are/can be perfectly chiselled for your Pokémon Team. They'd do so much to get them prepared, but after they're finished they'll probably never look back, except for perhaps building more Pokémon teams. Obviously this causes the WiFi tournaments to take place, doesn't it?

It's a real shock, the differences between Pokémon used in-game and used competitively. Your tactics, battle style, moveset, it's like you're being paid to battle.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah, building a team in-game certainly is a lot more forgiving ^^ You can try almost any kind of team and win the game with more or less effort.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If you're battling on simulators like Pokémon Online and Showdown, you do get paid, haha. Not by cash; you get paid by ladder points. More points you have, the higher you'll be ranking on the ladder. If you lose a battle, you're going to lose a few points and wind up dropping down. This isn't really much important, I know, but some people do take it as such, and that's why they making battling seem this serious in the competitive scene. d:

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Sounds like it would useful to have a Pokémon that knows Rock Climb, so you climb up the ladder :P
Competitive battling is not for me... I don't influence stats or use items or make strategic move pools or anything like. Right now in X, I'm raising some weaker Pokémon so I can add their evolutions into my Pokédex, so I always get swept whenever random people challenge me to online battles.

Years
I don't care for competitive battles much either. On X, it seems like everyone I run into has at least one shiny legendary on their team. It's so bogus

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I'm interested in competitive battling, and have tried it, but I'm horrible at it. Well, I've been learning for a year, so progress!

..Though that's on simulators, like the aforementioned PO and PS. I wouldn't dare EV train in game. It's too much work, breeding perfect IV Pokemon and the like. :\

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I only randbattle on PC's Showdown server once in a while :3 It's great fun and I don't really have to know anything about competitive strategy to have a good time there.

Years
I only randbattle on PC's Showdown server once in a while :3 It's great fun and I don't really have to know anything about competitive strategy to have a good time there.

I find Ranbats kinda hilarious at times, sometimes you might be gifted with a team of gods or sometimes you get trolled and given a team of weaklings. And you don't even need competitive experience to excel at it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've done plenty of random bats before, and have grown sort of tired of it. xD;; Might start doing it again after a month or two; by then, I'll be feeling a lot refreshed.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
More people find it convenient to play directly from your browser. :] PO was seemingly more stable, though, so it sucks to see it decline. I've heard that there's another browser-based battling simulator in development currently, but not really sure how that's going or how much of a difference it's going to have in comparison to Showdown.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
More people find it convenient to play directly from your browser. :] PO was seemingly more stable, though, so it sucks to see it decline. I've heard that there's another browser-based battling simulator in development currently, but not really sure how that's going or how much of a difference it's going to have in comparison to Showdown.

You mean Pokebattle, right? I've seen what it's like inside it..it's less colourful than Showdown is, and probably isn't as competitive, noting that PS runs on Smogon tier lists.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
You mean Pokebattle, right? I've seen what it's like inside it..it's less colourful than Showdown is, and probably isn't as competitive, noting that PS runs on Smogon tier lists.

Perhaps it wasn't so directed to competitive battling. Maybe it just had the purpose of using some Pokémon you always use/never use and see how they're like. Though competitive battling promotion is the only way that the simulator may gain popularity.

On that note, there are also so many Pokémon MMORPGs out there, but they don't have advanced gameplay mechanics. I don't know if I've seen anyone actually good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back