• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Muffin™

Knows your age
Years
Spr_1g_151.png

Oh dear god... it looks like a fetus...

Spr_1g_040.png

"Hey kids, look at me! I'm Wigglytuff the CLOWN!"

Spr_2c_019.gif

Shakin' meh butt!

Spr_1b_103.png

O_O

Spr_1y_150.png

This is one reason why I don't like MewTwo...

Spr_1b_042.png

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
I was looking at some random Emerald sprites, and I found this:

He's looking like he's using a sword instead of his bone :D.

I also found this:
<- Pure win. Nothing more to say.

Also, Glalie's animation looks kinda strange:

"Hey friends!! Do you know I can move?"

Look at this:

"What? Someone's throwing a stone on me? Let's make a shield with my foot!"

Also look at Donphan's G/S/C backsprite:

Good that I never owned one in G/S/C, or it would've gone straight in my PC :P

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
Spr_1g_151.png

Oh dear god... it looks like a fetus...

Spr_1g_040.png

"Hey kids, look at me! I'm Wigglytuff the CLOWN!"

Spr_2c_019.gif

Shakin' meh butt!

Spr_1b_103.png

O_O

Spr_1y_150.png

This is one reason why I don't like MewTwo...

Spr_1b_042.png

Mew is like an undesvoladated baby . Weird ...
That's not a Wigglytuff . That is a fluffy ball . Right ? RIGHT ??
Mewtwo is like a woman which is like : w000 , hey nice sk8 man wunna b meh bo'fren' ?
No Golbats man ! NO GOLBATS ! I am pretty EXTREMELY tired of it !

I was looking at some random Emerald sprites, and I found this:

He's looking like he's using a sword instead of his bone :D.

I also found this:
<- Pure win. Nothing more to say.

Also, Glalie's animation looks kinda strange:

"Hey friends!! Do you know I can move?"

Look at this:

"What? Someone's throwing a stone on me? Let's make a shield with my foot!"

Also look at Donphan's G/S/C backsprite:

Good that I never owned one in G/S/C, or it would've gone straight in my PC :P

I never actually watched the Marowak one . Really , really weird ...
That IS the best Emerald animation ! Pidgeot''s lookin' really good standing lke that !!
No , Glalie's just NO !
'Hey lil' Geodude ! Kickin' mah ass wit a rock ? Well ya man , teh fiery legend of mahself will kick yaz' ass !"
later ...
"Noooooh ! Mah azz ben kicked ! Le mehn anoying , me no talkin to ye !"
Translation :
Geodude used Rock Throw !
It's Super Effective (1/2)
Arcanine used FIRE BLAST !
...the attack MISSED !
Geodude used Rock Throw !
it's Super Effective !
Arcanine fainted ...

And that's how a rock beats an uber legendary ! ;_;

DGexe

Taunter
Years
Time to do some Haunter Comparisons:

RB

Surprisingly, this isn't entirely horrendous. It bares a resemblence to what it's supposed to be (as opposed to the horror that is Pidgeot). The pose is decent, and the grin is just creepy (like it should be).

G(Jp)

This isn't so bad either, for a Green sprite. It is very similiar to the Red/Blue sprite, which is a rarity where Green is concerned. Haunter's right (its) hand looks a lil' wonky, and I don't like the pupil position. All in all a nice sprite, but it lacks the imposing nature of Red/Blue.

Y

This is one of my personal favorites out of the classic color games. This is when Haunter really starts to resemble its later brethern, and it's the first time we see the mouth colored like it ought to be. This is also the first time Haunter looses a finger. The creepy nature is kept well, and I just like this.

G

This sprite isn't so bad, and personally I like it moreso than the Silver sprite. Some of the creepy nature is kind of lost, but it still holds up just enough to say "Yeah, I'm a Ghost Type". We finally get to see more than one color (purple) for glows and highlights. Awesome.

S

Ew. I never did like Silver's rendition of Haunter. Here, it looks more-so like an ugly, deranged nutcase than a creepy floating head that eats your soul. He really DOES look like he wants to eat your soul, but it just doesn't quite fit.

C

I'm very glad that they used the Gold sprite for animations in Crystal. Still, this isn't a really good one. Here, Haunter totally looses that creepy feel and just looks more ticked off than anything. And WHAT is that hand doing...?

RS

HEY! HAUNTER! You got your missing pinky finger back! Good job! Really, this GenIII sprite isn't so bad. Haunter regains the creepy factor somewhat and doesn't look like a total dork in the process (silver).

E

This animation is a bit better than Crystal's, but it kind of gives me headaches if I watch it loop for too long. I guess they're trying to make him fade out quickly or something, and I like the reaching out hand, but the flashing could've been fixed up.

FRLG

... What? No, really, what? I love the hands (still retaining four fingers), but the overall body sprite for Haunter just... kind of looses the feel it had in RSE. I can't tell you exactly what I don't like about it, but I can tell you that I don't like it. Not to mention the spikes on the left (its) side of the body look a little disproportionate.

DP

This is my favorite out of the DPPt trio. Haunter regains the creepiness, even if he does loose a finger in the process. The body is a lil' fatter than I remember, but that seems to look okay here.

Pt

If memory serves me correctly, this is the second frame of the DP animation. It serves to remind me that I don't like the fact that Haunter is portrayed with three fingers. It just looks... bizzare. More bizzare than creepy, frankly. THe bottom spike, the one that makes up the tip of Haunter's bottom half, looks a little too curvy too.

HGSS

This one had to grow on me, but its not too bad. The pose is a little off (it's looking more to the far-right of its line of sight than over at its opponent), but the hand positioning and body are decent. It's sad to see the glow officially gone from this sprite, but it's okay as a whole.

I wish Haunter had four fingers and stayed that way (seriously, why is a finger missing between generations?) Three fingers makes it look unnatural in a fat, stubby way, which is lost to a lean, sharp look when there is the present pinky finger.
•Some of the creepieness helped when Haunter had black with violet highlights. I like all the sprites due to the presence of purple, since I like purple, but having a darker official color would've been lovely right from the get-go and going through to HGSS.
•The Jack-o-lantern mouth will always be awesome, no matter how zigzaggy the mouth is drawn.

In summation... really, this isn't too bad of a line-up. There are things that could be tweeked a bit more in each generation, but there aren't really too many abominations (like Green Executor).

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, now that you guys mentiom it, some of the RSE sprites did NOT do justice to the pokes. Here are some natable examples, and how they were fixed:

Spr_3r_257.png
RS. Looks kinda ok, but pretty stupid compared to the anime.

Spr_3e_257.gif
E. Pretty pointless.

Spr_4d_257_m.png
DPPt. Now THAT my friends, is progress.

Spr_3r_260.png
RS. EWW! This sprite makes swampert's tail look like an appendage of his right form, which makes it oddly asymmetrical.

Spr_3e_260.gif
E. Reinforces the above theory.

Spr_4d_260.png
DPPt. IMO, that's simply brilliant. Though it looks way better with the new animations, gives it a totally "funky" feel.

Hey guys, any clue why Bulbapedia has animated sprites for Emerald pokes, for PtHGSS trainers, but not for DPPtHGSS pokes? It's just plain odd :-/

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
Years
woo i wanna compare magikarp :)

R/G
wow, it dosnt suck
R/B
im turning a corner
Y
im yellow and jumping for joy
G
man, can i look down for once?
S
well at least im sideways
C
wigglin my fins
R/S
ok, now im dead
E
more crap animation
FR/LG
im finally normal
D/P
YES! IM FINALLY FACING DOWN!
PT
back to sideways...-___-
HG/SS
woop.

i think hgss is best :)

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
Time to do some Haunter Comparisons:

RB

Surprisingly, this isn't entirely horrendous. It bares a resemblence to what it's supposed to be (as opposed to the horror that is Pidgeot). The pose is decent, and the grin is just creepy (like it should be).

G(Jp)

This isn't so bad either, for a Green sprite. It is very similiar to the Red/Blue sprite, which is a rarity where Green is concerned. Haunter's right (its) hand looks a lil' wonky, and I don't like the pupil position. All in all a nice sprite, but it lacks the imposing nature of Red/Blue.

Y

This is one of my personal favorites out of the classic color games. This is when Haunter really starts to resemble its later brethern, and it's the first time we see the mouth colored like it ought to be. This is also the first time Haunter looses a finger. The creepy nature is kept well, and I just like this.

G

This sprite isn't so bad, and personally I like it moreso than the Silver sprite. Some of the creepy nature is kind of lost, but it still holds up just enough to say "Yeah, I'm a Ghost Type". We finally get to see more than one color (purple) for glows and highlights. Awesome.

S

Ew. I never did like Silver's rendition of Haunter. Here, it looks more-so like an ugly, deranged nutcase than a creepy floating head that eats your soul. He really DOES look like he wants to eat your soul, but it just doesn't quite fit.

C

I'm very glad that they used the Gold sprite for animations in Crystal. Still, this isn't a really good one. Here, Haunter totally looses that creepy feel and just looks more ticked off than anything. And WHAT is that hand doing...?

RS

HEY! HAUNTER! You got your missing pinky finger back! Good job! Really, this GenIII sprite isn't so bad. Haunter regains the creepy factor somewhat and doesn't look like a total dork in the process (silver).

E

This animation is a bit better than Crystal's, but it kind of gives me headaches if I watch it loop for too long. I guess they're trying to make him fade out quickly or something, and I like the reaching out hand, but the flashing could've been fixed up.

FRLG

... What? No, really, what? I love the hands (still retaining four fingers), but the overall body sprite for Haunter just... kind of looses the feel it had in RSE. I can't tell you exactly what I don't like about it, but I can tell you that I don't like it. Not to mention the spikes on the left (its) side of the body look a little disproportionate.

DP

This is my favorite out of the DPPt trio. Haunter regains the creepiness, even if he does loose a finger in the process. The body is a lil' fatter than I remember, but that seems to look okay here.

Pt

If memory serves me correctly, this is the second frame of the DP animation. It serves to remind me that I don't like the fact that Haunter is portrayed with three fingers. It just looks... bizzare. More bizzare than creepy, frankly. THe bottom spike, the one that makes up the tip of Haunter's bottom half, looks a little too curvy too.

HGSS

This one had to grow on me, but its not too bad. The pose is a little off (it's looking more to the far-right of its line of sight than over at its opponent), but the hand positioning and body are decent. It's sad to see the glow officially gone from this sprite, but it's okay as a whole.

I wish Haunter had four fingers and stayed that way (seriously, why is a finger missing between generations?) Three fingers makes it look unnatural in a fat, stubby way, which is lost to a lean, sharp look when there is the present pinky finger.
•Some of the creepieness helped when Haunter had black with violet highlights. I like all the sprites due to the presence of purple, since I like purple, but having a darker official color would've been lovely right from the get-go and going through to HGSS.
•The Jack-o-lantern mouth will always be awesome, no matter how zigzaggy the mouth is drawn.

In summation... really, this isn't too bad of a line-up. There are things that could be tweeked a bit more in each generation, but there aren't really too many abominations (like Green Executor).

Alright now , I have a lot to say !

First , Haunter always kinda had a special place in my heart (DAMN the Anime -'_-) and I never actually cared for it in the game . Now that I look at these four/three fingered beast with purple outlines and a posture that's gonna eat , your soul , it kinda remembers me of my childhood .

So yeah , my favourite is the HGSS . It's facing down (in a really creepy way) and its hands are pretty off the body , like they're searching for a victim 0__O .

Yeah, now that you guys mentiom it, some of the RSE sprites did NOT do justice to the pokes. Here are some natable examples, and how they were fixed:

Spr_3r_257.png
RS. Looks kinda ok, but pretty stupid compared to the anime.

Spr_3e_257.gif
E. Pretty pointless.

Spr_4d_257_m.png
DPPt. Now THAT my friends, is progress.

Spr_3r_260.png
RS. EWW! This sprite makes swampert's tail look like an appendage of his right form, which makes it oddly asymmetrical.

Spr_3e_260.gif
E. Reinforces the above theory.

Spr_4d_260.png
DPPt. IMO, that's simply brilliant. Though it looks way better with the new animations, gives it a totally "funky" feel.

Hey guys, any clue why Bulbapedia has animated sprites for Emerald pokes, for PtHGSS trainers, but not for DPPtHGSS pokes? It's just plain odd :-/

Awww , yeah the Blaziken . Its sprite really wasn't a bomb in the games , but for me it was and IS a great Pokemon . That DPPtHGSS Sprite is pretty overconfindent of himself too , which makes him more badass .

Wow , Swampert is plain ugly in RSEFRLG . I never noticed his sprite , and the DPPtHGSS really revamps it nicely !

Awww , I dunno about that question , but there are some sites which have all frames . I don't really know which and I am too lazy to find them ... :(

woo i wanna compare magikarp :)

R/G
wow, it dosnt suck
R/B
im turning a corner
Y
im yellow and jumping for joy
G
man, can i look down for once?
S
well at least im sideways
C
wigglin my fins
R/S
ok, now im dead
E
more crap animation
FR/LG
im finally normal
D/P
YES! IM FINALLY FACING DOWN!
PT
back to sideways...-___-
HG/SS
woop.

i think hgss is best :)

Ahahaha , that IS the funniest comparison EVER !
Really the fact that they put it SIDEWAYS -_- (Again ...) in Pt. makes him look like that pic of a SNES Mario game ... Ahahaa , he's red .

Also , I think that Yellow is the best . Yes curse me , but Magikarp looks plain badass and ... pretty dead ? -_-

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
Years
I'm going to do an analysis of my least favorite Pokemon, Drowzee (and to a lesser extent, Hypno, but I'll save him for later).

R/G (Jap.)
Spr_1g_096.png

It looks sort of mushed, like it got Hammer Armed.

R/B
Spr_1b_096.png

Trying to scare a child or something?

Yellow
Spr_1y_096.png

No Drowzee, you are not a ninja. Also, I think you lost some fingers...

Gold
Spr_2g_096.png

And you're not a Mr. Mime, either.

Silver
Spr_2s_096.png

Looks like its concocting a magic potion or something.

Crystal
Spr_2c_096.gif

You're not convincing me that you're a Mr. Mime.

Ruby/Sapphire
Spr_3r_096.png

Looks like its getting the attention of a taxi.

Emerald
Spr_3e_096.gif

Seismic Toss?

FR/LG
Spr_3f_096.png

Not only did it get shorter, but also fatter.

DPPt
Spr_4d_096.png

Why are you happy? Don't be so happy!

HGSS
Spr_4h_096.png

Still trying to get that taxi, huh?

So, even though I have a strong dislike of Drowzee, its sprites (bar Green version) aren't all that bad. Other than losing a few fingers, the overall design remained the same.

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
Years
I'm going to do an analysis of my least favorite Pokemon, Drowzee (and to a lesser extent, Hypno, but I'll save him for later).

R/G (Jap.)
Spr_1g_096.png

R/B
Spr_1b_096.png

Yellow
Spr_1y_096.png

Gold
Spr_2g_096.png

Silver
Spr_2s_096.png

Crystal
Spr_2c_096.gif

Ruby/Sapphire
Spr_3r_096.png

Emerald
Spr_3e_096.gif

Seismic Toss?

FR/LG
Spr_3f_096.png

DPPt
Spr_4d_096.png

HGSS
Spr_4h_096.png

So, even though I have a strong dislike of Drowzee, its sprites (bar Green version) aren't all that bad. Other than losing a few fingers, the overall design remained the same.

haha, i dont think many of drowzees more recent sprites do much justice, lake all fat and short lol i like silvers the most though

560cool.

An old timer?
Years

R/G (Jap.)
Spr_1g_096.png

R/B
Spr_1b_096.png

Yellow
Spr_1y_096.png

Gold
Spr_2g_096.png

Silver
Spr_2s_096.png

Crystal
Spr_2c_096.gif

Ruby/Sapphire
Spr_3r_096.png

Emerald
Spr_3e_096.gif

Seismic Toss?

FR/LG
Spr_3f_096.png

DPPt
Spr_4d_096.png

HGSS
Spr_4h_096.png

O...........M...........G !!!

I mean , I never noticed the RSE ones ! Man , Drowzee looks so hialrious on these .... ! :D

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
Years
Drowzee's HGSS sprite is so adorable!

Machop!

R/B:
Spr_1b_066.png
Ugh it looks so flat!
Y:
Spr_1y_066.png
Flabby arms.
G:
Spr_2g_066.png
Not so great, and the colours for normal and shiny look switched.
E:
Spr_3e_066.gif
MUCH better, but the animation is sort of weird.
FRLG:
Spr_3f_066.png
Cute!
DP:
Spr_4d_066.png
All ready to fight!
HGSS:
Spr_4h_066.png
Not very combat-y.. not great for a fighting sprite. D;

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Is it just me or in Machop's HGSS sprite does it look like his head is on back to front?

Takoto

Illustrator
Years
Damn some guys in here, just making me laugh like hell.

Spr_1b_039.png
/
Spr_1g_039.png

ಠ_ಠ No Jigglypuff, you're not cute.

Spr_1y_039.png

Look into it's deep red eyes. It's evil.

Spr_1g_040.png

This is why drugs are bad.

Spr_2c_040.gif

SHAKE IT, WIGGLY, SHAKE IT.

Spr_1g_003.png

Did some just hit him with a wrecking ball or something?

Spr_1y_150.png

THRUST!

Spr_1b_150.png

Bad back, Mewtwo?

Spr_1b_151.png

Mew's black leg here always bothered me...

Spr_1y_151.png

Mew just looks weird here.

Spr_1g_151.png

Mew was born with a head mutation?

Spr_1b_076.png
/
Spr_1g_076.png

Spr_1g_103.png

Nightmare fuel.

Spr_1b_139.png

Did Omastar get it's moves from Iku?
vy2xbd.jpg