• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should women be allowed to go topless in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
I say they should. I mean, I've gone in public (on my school bus) with just a bra on... sorry, that might be a little... too much... but why not? As long as they're wearing a bra I don't see the problem.

I think the OP is on about being completely bare above the waist. No bra or anything.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
Guys don't walk around with their pants off (normally), so I don't think girls should run around with their shirts off. Seems disgusting to me. I would just think she was a random prostitute, and she'd certainly gain that attention. But I did used to wonder why guys could take their shirts off and girls couldn't, and I was about 7 at the time. No girl at my age had anything to show, so I'm not understanding that being too inappropriate. But a grown woman who would normally have to wear a bra, that's a problem. We don't need all the men around getting stiff, especially when their lady friend is around. So no, I'm not for it.

O god. Guys pants off='s exposure of male sex organs. Girls shirts off does not = exposure of female sex organs. Sure, breasts are considered reproductive organs, but only in the sense that they serve to feed offspring. There is nothing disgusting about women walking around topless. As I do recall, that is how things originally were.

NOOBLMAO

Woosh
Years
I find it funny how in American society, a PG-13 movie can have lots of blood and people killing people and other gratuitous violence, but it can't show a nipple.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
I find it funny how in American society, a PG-13 movie can have lots of blood and people killing people and other gratuitous violence, but it can't show a nipple.

It's funny how in Europe it's basically reversed.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
YES OF F***ING COURSE THEY SHOULD

/retardedness

The way I see it, it's situational. Conerts, what are ya gonna do about it? Half the women there(and just as many of the men if not more)are drunk, high, or both. If you think you're gonna stop a woman from takin off her shirt there, that ain't happenin. In the workplace, on the other hand, it would be far too distracting for the men if the women walked around in bras(or nothing)all day. Sexual harassment cases would blow through the roof. In parks....depends. If you're out in the middle of nowhere or no one's around, and it's hot, do what you will.

For clarification, is this a debate on no tops(shirts and such)on women or nothing on any of the torso at all?

Years
No, that would be unnecessary. Sure, you're happy with yourself, but IMO it's still indecent exposure. Someone might not want their children exposed to that at a young age. :/

PokemonLeagueChamp

Years
No, that would be unnecessary. Sure, you're happy with yourself, but IMO it's still indecent exposure. Someone might not want their children exposed to that at a young age. :/

So breastfeeding them at a younger age is just fine? I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I don't see what difference it makes when many kids start off getting fed from breasts. Plus, frankly, depending on gender, they will wind up having them or seeing them at some point anyway. And it's not like they'll induce nightmares or psychological issues the way exposing them to, say, Gears of War would.

Years
I was told by a friend that in Vancouver it's legal for women to be topless. I know there are towns in the US where this is the same. Most women in these places don't bother to express their legally protected right to be topless though.

Here's some food for though. Some men can and do develop breasts similar to most women's. It's medically recognized. Some women are also very flat-chested. Anyway, breasts =/= genitalia (not even going into that argument). Just because some people can't control themselves in the sight of a part of the human body doesn't mean it should be covered up. Those people should just mature a bit.

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
As children we've been condition by our parents who dictate how we view and think about the world, from a young age we were lead to believe that having an image is in a certain way, that includes women dress top and bottom and that men can wear a top if he chooses but he must always wears bottoms.

Because as women we've been conditioned since a young age that its hard to break out that of mould, I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing a women topless, nor if I was a woman would want to be topless in public, possibly at home in my own backyard, public, I couldn't.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Years
I think the issue is way more than "they should be moar mature". Seriously, if women actually decided to go topless for even a day, how do you suppose that'd go?

Years
So breastfeeding them at a younger age is just fine? I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I don't see what difference it makes when many kids start off getting fed from breasts. Plus, frankly, depending on gender, they will wind up having them or seeing them at some point anyway. And it's not like they'll induce nightmares or psychological issues the way exposing them to, say, Gears of War would.
I don't recall saying anything about breast feeding.
That's obviously something different.
I'm saying, some people may not want their children exposed to that in public just because it's not ~decent~.

I'm all about embracing the human body, but I also believe that people should have some class.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Yeah I'm pretty sure that won't increase rape, kidnappings and crap. But as much as I would like to say "Yes, equality is now stronger blah blah" I just can't knowing that it will only increase rape, kidnappings and such.

I'm just wondering how that will happen. Something like a nipple won't suddenly make a person want to kidnap a woman. As far as I know, most people who would actually commit acts like those would commit it regardless of what the person is wearing.

NOOBLMAO

Woosh
Years
I don't recall saying anything about breast feeding.
That's obviously something different.
I'm saying, some people may not want their children exposed to that in public just because it's not ~decent~.

I'm all about embracing the human body, but I also believe that people should have some class.
Should not having "class" be illegal?

beca

◔_____◔
Years
We should be able to, but there are too many perverts around.
I personally wouldn't use the option, though xD

Melody

Banned
Years
Honestly, I don't oppose the idea of women being able to go topless, or even completely nude from the waist up in any public setting. To be perfectly honest, I feel it's a decision that is best left to the woman. If she isn't comfortable exposing that much of herself to the public eye, then why should we expect her to oppose this social norm? Of course, there are some hair-brained laws which enforce this, but I honestly think they're the real problem, not the mindset of society as a whole.

That being said, considering how revealing womens' clothes can be, it really wouldn't be a big step for anyone in society except maybe the older folks, who are just too damn set in their ways to admit that things are trending this way anyhow.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
I remember being told it is because a female's topless body is sexually attractive to men and society wants to mitigate this in public so children and such aren't offended.

Well woman can also be sexually attracted to a man's topless body so that logic seems moot to me.

Exactly. And people would freak out if the laws on that were changed now. But if it wasn't a law in the first place, it would be no different or more distracting than seeing someones face. Which I guess means that would be the same in countries where the women have to cover their face, if the walked around without a cover, people would freak out.

But I guess we live in a world where boys discover it is desirable to see a woman's breasts, when it's really not a huge deal.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
Like I care if everyone went topless. Even my dog and cat goes topless. I do have the choice to look the other way if I want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back