• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids in this generation.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
So when I visited my aunt house one day for celebrating her son's birthday, I saw a lot of kids were playing phone games and they just glued to it. I feel that kids nowadays are so addicted to electronic games rather than old classic games like monopoly and Uno stuff. Besides they are quite more rude and I felt disappointed for this. Someone have to teach them for a better attitude!

So what are you opinions about kids in this generation? Can you compare your childhood to them?

For me my childhood is rather better than them. When I was a kid, my friends and I always played Pokemon Trading Card game and I always won.( Now I completely forget about how to play XD)

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
First off, it's not just kids who are glued to screens at all times, though this is the first generation who are being brought up with tiny computers in their pockets at all times. I remember 7-8 years ago going to a restaurant with some relatives, and they brought one of those miniature DVD players to entertain their kids, which was abhorrent to me even as a teenager. I was taught never to bring books or Gameboys to the table.

To me, the issue is parenting. I wasn't allowed to have a cell phone until I was 14 or so, and it was just for making calls. People survived without cell phones. Kids do not need miniature computers on them at all times, but somehow it's become a necessity. To me, the issue is also that parents don't know what cell phones are being used for and don't monitor their kids' activity (including how much activity there is), so you have all of these unsupervised, undisciplined kids with access to everything the internet holds 24/7. Worse yet, parents don't understand cell phones or the things kids use them for, and don't really make an effort to. So yeah, this new generation is kind of screwed, and that's no fault of their own. If I'd had a miniature computer at that age, you can bet I would have always been on it. I honestly feel bad for the kids growing up right now who have been left to navigate the online world on their own.

~Psychic

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I never owned any electronic device as a kid until a phone in the eighth grade, other than the DS and DSi. Maybe the Wii counts, but that was shared by the whole family. I read a lot, which I do not see with newer kids.

So I believe I am part of the millennial generation, which is the youngest thus far. As for teens around my age- I dont like most of them. They are all selfish, bratty, materialistic, etc. And their political views are totally different, as well as common interests.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
When i was kid i had no consoles no phone. Just tv and computer without internet. Weirdly enough, I started playing Counter strike back in 2004.

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
Years
I honestly don't mind it. I think a lot of what people are experiencing, especially when you hit your early twenties, is the same thing our parents went through and their parents before that. It's always the new generation that's unruly, immoral, and rude. It's normal and natural to feel this way, I think. Goodness, I can still remember my mother freaking out because she found a Slipknot CD in my stereo.

However, technology can be severely toxic to children if parents refuse to take an active role in their child's life. A lot of children are relying on social media and choose that over real life social situations. Face-to-face social interaction is extremely vital to a child's development and Facebook simply can't replace it. There's nothing wrong with social media, but if a parent lets it go unchecked, a child's development can be stalled and possibly damaged forever. For example, you have to know how to navigate your way through social situations if you want to be able to do any sort of work. You can't pull out your phone and text the customer, you need those real life experiences to handle that.

Last edited:
Years
I agree and disagree with it. I compare me sitting playing gameboy to a kid sitting down with a tablet. I feel like I wasn't as bad because 1. It wasn't the internet filled with boundless amounts stuff that's reaaaally not suitable for kids and 2. because I grew up always playing games with my sister, we'd trade pokemon, or play monopoly on the N64 and it was fun.

But I think the biggest difference is that it wasn't always just my sister and I playing. My parents would actively sit down and play the games with us, or ask questions about the stuff we were into. Whereas I feel like a lot of parents (not all obviously) just hand their kids a phone and leave them to do whatever.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2020
before the iphone kids, it was gameboy and nintendo ds. or some other weird knock off pda/tablet thing from back in the day.
my brother and i liked toys but we had video games as well, you'd probably see us carrying little pokemon plushies or figures rather than the gameboy.

it's weird growing up in this time where technology moved so fast, like 10 years ago email and facebook were JUST getting popular and all my classmates were getting it and we'd talk on there. and now all these things like instagram or twitter are a necessity with today's kids. my little cousin gets to play ipad games all the time now.
I see your point but assuming you grew up in the 90s/early 2000s, we had our own kind of technology and WE were seen as those spoiled kids for being on these gameboy things or whatever.
If you have the opportunity to help a kid out, show them that life doesn't need technology lol. Play with them in the park, take them for a nature walk or something. Draw and read with them, they need this.

Reactions: Bay

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
The issue isn't entirely with technology itself, so it's not just a matter of "Our generation is growing up, so it's only natural that we target the next generation for being spoiled." The issue is that everything is connected to the Internet, now. I didn't get a cell phone with Internet capabilities until I was about 17 or 18 and by that time I had already seen my fair share of what the Internet has to offer from my laptop.

As far as younger kids, I noticed this the other day too. I was driving past the elementary school I attended around the same time the kids were being dismissed, and I saw a ton of kids walking home with their faces in their phones. Like, damn I was in elementary school just 10-15 years ago and my friends and I rarely even brought our GameBoys to school, let alone a phone lol.

Psychic hit the nail on the head, it is largely at fault of parents who are conforming to the norm of giving children all of these electronic devices that they plain and simple do not need. I didn't get my own cell phone until I was 12, and that was only because I was flying across the country with another minor and my parents needed to stay in contact with me. I didn't start using it to text and call friends until I was about 15 or 16 though, because that was when my friends were getting their own cell phones. It has only just happened within the past 5-10 years that kids as young as elementary school aged are getting smartphones, and I really strongly disagree with it.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Now its phones/tablets. In the 2000s it was desktop computers and IM services. In the 90s it was console games. In the 80s it was console games and vhs tapes. In the 70s it was marijuana and record players. In the 60s it was pop bands like the Beatles and drive-ins. In the early 1900s it was newspapers. Thousands of years ago, adults complained about kids reading books. Literally every generation since nascent humans has had an equivalent for adults to complain about. When you're an adult, anything that kids enjoy seems vapid.

I will disagree about kids these days being ruder, I think that's headed in the opposite direction. I think newer parents are doing a much better job at being parents and teaching morals than baby boomers and their parents ever did.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
The only reason why I get annoyed by young children with big phones is because those are expensive as hell, and I can't even afford one, so why does lil Jimmy have the newest iPhone with a 4G data plan? I think phones and any handheld device is ideal to entertain young kids with, especially when you're in a restaurant, or another space where they can't just run around.

The only reason I wouldn't want my possible future kids to grow up and play phone games and watch videos on tablets all the time is because they'll lack the exercise. I'm glad that Ice junior can grow up in a world where they can play phone games instead of that awful game called monopoly, haha.

As for kids being ruder, I haven't experienced that at all. Can't say I interact with them too often, but everyone under the age of 10 I've met with recently has been nothing but wonderful.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
Still using my dad's old Samsung Galaxy Ace and it is not bad just the battery life is a quite flaw back. It is quite tough too but it cannot beat the infamous Nokia 3310.

When I was small my parents were very strict. No homework done. Nothing available. Yeah I do know that nowadays parents still use this technique with smarter genius ways :). But when I became teenage my mom let me go to do whatever I want but my Dad always reminds me : " Know what you are doing "

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't get why people get up in arms about kids playing current games and not older games. Like...okay, we get it, there are great older games and all, but it's not fair to just barge in and say "this generations sucks, play these old game my generation was the best childhood" like hot damn let them have their childhood.

That's not to say any generation is perfect, but still, I feel like we have this barrage of college aged people (18-25ish) just raining on children now and it gets really tiresome, idk.

tl;dr only 90's kids will remember!!!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I do think kids now a days or much brattier and they get their way much easier it seems. I see kids throw a fit and Mom/Dad gives them what they want. When I was young if I ever did that my Mom would lean down and say "If you don't straighten up I will paddle your ass when we get home" just enough to I could hear it. That was enough to get me to act right. You say that to your kid now a days and they just turn around and say yeah go ahead I'll just call the cops.

I had the old brick Game Boy that I would play all the time. Yes I would have it when we'd go out to a restaurant but it was put away when the food came. Now a days kids have phones or tablets or DVD players at the table and everyone around knows what they are watching or playing. The food comes and nothing is put away. They eat still with everything out.

I didn't get my cell phone till I was 16 which I was a Junior in high school. And I had the flip phone where you had to press the number buttons 3 or 4 times to text and even then I hardly used to for that. Now I see elementary kids with iPhones. Wha the hell? The only phone they need if any is the ones where only Mom and Dad can call and that's it.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
Now I see elementary kids with iPhones. Wha the hell? The only phone they need if any is the ones where only Mom and Dad can call and that's it.

Strongly agree with that one. I do not have other uses besides calling my mom or emergency dials.

Over here kids are studying in Primary schools. The school rules state that phones should not be brought over here. In my generation no one did that because we did not have phones. Now, students are more eager to bring it just to show off. My neighbor kid brought it to school and lost the phone. It was expensive about $1200 and his mom just punished him badly.

Bay

Years
I see your point but assuming you grew up in the 90s/early 2000s, we had our own kind of technology and WE were seen as those spoiled kids for being on these gameboy things or whatever..

That's not to say any generation is perfect, but still, I feel like we have this barrage of college aged people (18-25ish) just raining on children now and it gets really tiresome, idk.

Pretty much agreed with both of those posts. I remember seeing some articles on complaints how millennials (my generation, haha) are using technology too much, but in reality it can be a necessity at times.

I can understand that smartphones/tablets can be on the expensive side and I can relate how I'm often not able to get a phone/video game console/etc. until much later. However, I don't think it's really a bad thing for kids today to bring their tablet or any electronic stuff on table as sometimes you can still create conversation (asking, "played something interesting?", for instance). A few months ago some relatives came over and while my little cousin used her tablet a lot, I still had fun playing some of the games she liked and talked with her.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Is it surprising that I don't even own a phone yet, even though people in 7th grade and slightly up own iPhone 6+es?

Guess it's just me trying to not expend my parents' pockets too often.

Anyway, I kind of expect the newer people of a generation to be more rude, since they're just blending into the norms expected of the generation they're entering. That, or I'm just not too kind to children and therefore put them down? I mean, I've had poor experiences but also good ones...ugh, I don't know.

It still bothers me to hell and back when I see some 11 year old with the newest piece of technology there is. I only have a 2DS and a PS3 we just managed to buy back in 2012, yet the kids nowadays get the newest phones and plans. Simplicity really isn't a thing anymore.

Yes, I rambled. That's just me nowadays. Hopefully my message had some clarity...

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
So when I visited my aunt house one day for celebrating her son's birthday, I saw a lot of kids were playing phone games and they just glued to it. I feel that kids nowadays are so addicted to electronic games rather than old classic games like monopoly and Uno stuff. Besides they are quite more rude and I felt disappointed for this. Someone have to teach them for a better attitude!

So what are you opinions about kids in this generation? Can you compare your childhood to them?

For me my childhood is rather better than them. When I was a kid, my friends and I always played Pokemon Trading Card game and I always won.( Now I completely forget about how to play XD)

Kids these days are glued to electronics. Many parents don't give their kids books or non-electronic games.

I think the rudeness comes from the fact that many parents these days spoil their kids and refuse to correct any of their faults. A family that moved in across the street from me has two sons (aged 6 and 8) and they are the rudest monsters you can think of. They never say "thank you", they are totally disrespectful to adults, and their room is a mess (seriously, there's underwear hanging on their coat hangers and clothes all over the floor). They're basically addicted to TV and video games and eat all their meals besides dinner in front of the TV (and even then they eat dinner in front of the TV a lot).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
As a kid, I was glued to the Playstation and the TV.

Kids in previous generations to mine were glued to music, and arcade games; before that, (and continuing now, or just fiction in general) there were books

Kids who aren't fully engaged with reality will always find some sort of escapism. The problem is not the fault of technology, it's because they aren't provided with interesting activities that aren't related to technology.

Long story short, parents don't pay enough attention to their kids.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 26, 2016
I've been glued to a screen since I was born.
It's not this generation. My had handheld video games, TV, and big console games for me to veg on my entire life.
You probably just came across kids who, like me, preferred electronic games over interactive social games.
Not to mention, most adults are glued to their electronics as well. I'm more often on my computer than not. People find dates by swapping through pictures on their phones instead of going to bars and **** (Tinder is an upgrade from bars, imo.) People play iPhone apps while waiting in line as opposed to just waiting (not a bad thing.) So, yeah, not just kids.

Bay

Years
People find dates by swapping through pictures on their phones instead of going to bars and **** (Tinder is an upgrade from bars, imo.) People play iPhone apps while waiting in line as opposed to just waiting (not a bad thing.) So, yeah, not just kids.

Yeah. I mentioned in my earlier post how millennials tend to get criticized for using technology too much even though it's very convenient at times. Many times when I'm in line I'll either read an e-book on my phone or check Twitter/another site.

Back