• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
Spr_1b_128.png

Red/Blue
3/10
I don't really like it. It looks really... wierd.Especially the face. :\
It looks like a ghost D: Its head almost resembles the cubones' skull

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
They are fail, but I do love the RBY sprites, especially Charmeleon. None of them look much like the actual Pokemon, but they're still awesome in their own way.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
Raikou!

G/S:
Spr_2g_243.png

O.O That face looks nothing like a Raikou...

C:
Spr_2c_243.gif

MUCH better than the previous one. And I wonder what Raikou keeps glancing at.

R/S/Fr/Lg:
Spr_3r_243.png

I love this sprite. It looks serious, which I like in Legendary Pokemon sprites.

E:
Spr_3e_243.gif

TOO MUCH FLASHING! >.<

D/P/Pt:
Spr_4d_243.png

It looks like Raikou wants to play. ^^

Hg/Ss:
Spr_4h_243.png

My absolute favorite sprite. Everything about it seems perfect.

B/W:
243.gif

Is Raikou sniffing the opposing party when it battles?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Time for Tangela!
R/B:
Spr_1b_114.png

4/10. It looks very square to me. Also the vines are too thin.
R/G:
Spr_1g_114.png

1/10. Since when were the ends of Tangela's vines pointed. It doesn't have enough vines either and it has small feet.
Y:
Spr_1y_114.png

4/10. This one looks like Tangela but I hate the pose.
G:
Spr_2g_114.png

9/10. I like this sprite. It says I'm off for a walk. The colours though.
S:
Spr_2s_114.png

8/10. Same colours problem but this time Tangela has tripped over a stone.
C:
Spr_2c_114.gif

10/10. Pure perfection. Perfect colours. Perfect pose. Perfect animation. Perfect Tangela.
R/S:
Spr_3r_114.png

5/10. I don't really like the vines or the pose.
FR/LG:
Spr_3f_114.png

6/10. At least this one is in a good pose.
E:
Spr_3e_114.gif

5.5/10. R/S sprite animated. Too bad it make Tangela walk like it needs leg surgery.
D/P:
Spr_4d_114.png

7/10. This one makes the vines look flat. At least it is a good colour and pose.
Pt:
Spr_4p_114.png

7.5/10. This sprite would look a lot better if the vine didn't cover part of the eye.
HG/SS:
Spr_4h_114.png

7/10. This sprite would look better with slightly wider vines and if Tangela didn't look so wide and had bigger feet.
B/W:
114.gif

7/10. What is with the really light coloured vines?

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2015
What's up with Golem's sprite in RBY?! And while we're at it, what's with some of the backsprites?

rbback005.png

What's this? Charmeleon never had a horn like that, as far as I know.

Charmeleon's face looks like a bear. Also, Scizor's Emerald sprite is fail.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
Time for Tangela!
R/B:
Spr_1b_114.png

4/10. It looks very square to me. Also the vines are too thin.
R/G:
Spr_1g_114.png

1/10. Since when were the ends of Tangela's vines pointed. It doesn't have enough vines either and it has small feet.
Y:
Spr_1y_114.png

4/10. This one looks like Tangela but I hate the pose.
G:
Spr_2g_114.png

9/10. I like this sprite. It says I'm off for a walk. The colours though.
S:
Spr_2s_114.png

8/10. Same colours problem but this time Tangela has tripped over a stone.
C:
Spr_2c_114.gif

10/10. Pure perfection. Perfect colours. Perfect pose. Perfect animation. Perfect Tangela.
R/S:
Spr_3r_114.png

5/10. I don't really like the vines or the pose.
FR/LG:
Spr_3f_114.png

6/10. At least this one is in a good pose.
E:
Spr_3e_114.gif

5.5/10. R/S sprite animated. Too bad it make Tangela walk like it needs leg surgery.
D/P:
Spr_4d_114.png

7/10. This one makes the vines look flat. At least it is a good colour and pose.
Pt:
Spr_4p_114.png

7.5/10. This sprite would look a lot better if the vine didn't cover part of the eye.
HG/SS:
Spr_4h_114.png

7/10. This sprite would look better with slightly wider vines and if Tangela didn't look so wide and had bigger feet.
B/W:
114.gif

7/10. What is with the really light coloured vines?
Tangela has gone through some vine changes over the years. I love its yellow sprite. It makes it look like a rubberband ball with eyes :]

days

Galactic HQ
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2013
Spr_1g_126.png
"T____________T"
Spr_1b_126.png
"Hey I'm here for the party"
Spr_1y_126.png
- 10/10

Spr_2g_126.png
"Come on just one for Valentine's Day"
Spr_4h_126.png
"Stop! I got this"
Spr_4p_126.png
"You sure you wanna dance pal? I'm loaded with 100/100 Fire Punches"
File:Spr_5b_126.png
Spr_5b_126.png
"Now hold on just a minute! I didn't ask for a 3rd evolution"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Spr_1y_005.png
"Greetings! it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm Charmeleon"

Spr_2c_005.gif
"DON'T TOUCH MY F***ING POKEBLOCKS!"

Spr_2s_217.png
"Do.....not.....trespass...?..???"
Spr_4h_217_m.png
"ME WANT HONEYCOMB!!!!!"

Spr_2c_204.gif
- "DEPART FROM HERE IMMEDIATELY HEATHEN. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY OF BEING IN MY PRESENCE"

Spr_5b_294.png
"GIGA PUDDI?!"
Spr_4p_129_f.png
"................"

Last edited:

Ponee

You light up my world ♥
Years
  • (:
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
I don't know if you guys have discussed this Pokemon or not.... but I think this may be one of the saddest sprites ever made

It's a Horsea.... D:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Electabuzz Sprite Evaluation

Red/Blue
Spr_1b_125.png

7/10 "ummm.... where am I again?"

Yellow
Spr_1y_125.png

8/10 A little bit better pose.

Gold
Spr_2g_125.png

7/10 "I AM A GORILLA!"

Silver
Spr_2s_125.png

6/10 I just don't like it

Crystal
Spr_2c_125.gif

8/10 The lights flashing on it's antennae are a nice touch

Ruby/Sapphire
Spr_3r_125.png

7/10 Eh... some things I like some things I don't

Emerald
Spr_3e_125.gif

6/10 It's basically the R/S one with flashing. A bit too much at that.

D/P
Spr_4d_125.png

5/10 Same as the Silver one. Something I just don't like

Platinum
Spr_4p_125.png

7/10 The only reason it wasn't 8 or 9 was because I hate this thing's cry. And it's only a Minor improvement from DP

HGSS
Spr_4h_125.png

10/10 Some people may wonder why it's arms are stuck out. It probably has something to do with it windmilling it's arms to store power, which i know it's prevo does, and it probably does too.

B/W
Spr_5b_125.png

6/10 It's arms are up in the air for absolutely no apparent reason, and it's tail is stuck straight out. I just don't like that. I haven't seen the full animation or anything, so it could be more decent than this.

FlamingThunder

Years
Comparing sprites is fun! I think I'm gonna try.

Ninetales:
Spoiler:

Look at this sprite, anyone scared?
Spr_1b_094.png

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
529.gif

OK, this sprite is really creeping me out with it's claws. They look so unnatural.

Kendosis

Gym Leader
Years
What's up with Golem's sprite in RBY?! And while we're at it, what's with some of the backsprites?

rbback005.png

What's this? Charmeleon never had a horn like that, as far as I know.

rbback056.png

And what's up with Mankey's arms?

rbback003.png

This is supposed to look like Venusaur..

rbback031.png

Nidoqueen?

rbback067.png

Does Machoke have a mullet or something? Seriously, what is that?
Lmao @ Mankey and his noodle arms.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Okay just going to take Sydian's davice and post this up here...

Spoiler:

Yeah, I'm glad the graphics changed since Gen I. O.O

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2011
So... how about my favorite Pokemon, Gardevoir?

R/S:
Spr_3r_282.png

Gardevoir's debut sprite. I like it. :D

E:
Spr_3e_282.gif

The **** is with the bouncing? I thought Gardevoir floated somewhat. XD

FR/LG:
Spr_3r_282.png

Not much difference from R/S.

D/P:
Spr_4d_282.png

It actually has two arms! ;w; (seriously, when I saw Gardevoir the first time, I could not tell whether it had two arms or only one.)

P/HG/SS:
Spr_4p_282.png

I like this one, minus the arm positioning.. I always thought that was a bit awkward. XD

B/W:
Spr_5b_282.png

A bit of a revamp of D/P's sprite. Its arms look awkwardly short though.

3rd gen backsprite:
Spr_b_3r_282.png

Thus furthered my "WTF IT ONLY HAS ONE ARM?!" thing.

4th gen backsprite:
Spr_b_4d_282.png

See, there we go. There's your other arm.

5th gen backsprite:
Spr_b_5b_282.png

That's what I like to see! The arms are still awkwardly short though.

Shiny:
Spr_4d_282_s.png

I love the shiny coloring so much~~ I could also see it as having like a light purple shiny form, though.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
As promised, I'll make a huge one right now, consisting of at just two Pokemon for now. First up will be...

exeggutor

Red/Blue/Green:
Spr_1b_103.png
Spr_1g_103.png

Wut? seriously, it's like, it's heads are swollen or something, or it's got the midget-ized version of Nidoqueen or something. Best thing I can really say about these sprites, is that the first one looks like it's about to use Stomp, which I think is kinda cool. :)

Yellow:
Spr_1y_103.png

Now this is what I'm talking about in terms of the sprite! The body and head mass is pretty much perfect, and it looks like it's dancing or something, which is really cool. The central face looks happy, while the face on the right looks like it's trying to grit it's teeth.

Gold:
Spr_2g_103.png

So this is when colour was added, ey? I actually really like the colour scheme they've used for the Gold, and Silver sprites. It looks pretty good, since I usually consider palm trees to be more of a lighter brown. :) As for looks, just see what I wrote for the Yellow sprite, as it's exactly the same except with colour.

Silver:
Spr_2s_103.png

It looks like it's jumping, and trying to look down so it can jump safely. It looks okay, but this is one of those cases, where the Gold Sprite is far superior to the Silver Sprite. Colour still looks nice, which is a bonus, and the right head looks evilly malicious. >:D

Crystal:

Spr_2c_103.gif

Considering this is the exact same sprite as Gold, but with some movement, I think it works okay-ish. The leaves and the heads move awkwardly against each other though, which kond of sucks. Colour scheme is darker, but also works alongside the Gold sprite. :)

Ruby/Sapphire:
Spr_3r_103.png

It looks like, it's trying to bow? Maybe checking it's toes for any little Weedles which could have crept in there or something? I like how they've given more light to the sprite, so I guess that's a plus. :)

Emerald:
Spr_3e_103.gif

From what I can see, it moves it's feet a little bit, and it's mouth moves a little bit. Exactly the same as the Ruby/Sapphire one if you ask me, except for the movement.

FireRed/LeafGreen:
Spr_3f_103.png

Okay, let me guess. It's trying to break open a Ponyta Pinata with it's head, while at the same time, break it's head open (it's a coconut, what do you expect?). Legs look awkwardly positioned in this one, like it's legs are in front of each other, instead of to the side. I do like the shape and colouring of those Palm Leaves though. :)

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
Spr_4d_103.png

Back to basics. It's going back to it's Yellow and Gold roots (no pun intended) and just a simple sprite, trying to fend itself with it's foot. One notable thing I can notice, is that it's right face looks more derpy, than teeth-gritting.

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Spr_4h_103.png

Back to the awesomeness of the awesome sprites! I gotta say, the artists in control of these sprites sure knew what they were doing when they were making them all. Exeggutor here looks fierce, yet happy at the same time, sort of like Beyoncé. :D It's right face does look like it's trying not to crack up in laughter (no pun intended).

Black/White:
Spr_5b_103.png

Another sprite that does Exeggutor justice. It looks very similar to the HGSS one, but there are a few changes which are part of this. First of all, the other two faces looks just plain dead, like they're not doing anything, which is a good thing, and it looks more direct to the opposing Pokemon is it appeared in battle. :)

furret
Gold:
Spr_2g_162.png

Okay, so I have no idea what's going on with this sprite, but from what I can see, it's trying to walk or something, but maybe tripping over as well? Well whatever the hell it is, it's confusing me as to what it's meant to be doing. :|

Silver:
Spr_2s_162.png

It's standing, and scouting with it's scouter, which is pretty cool. Looks like it's sniffing out it's prey as well, which I like. Maybe it's getting ready to charge it's punch? It looks cool from what I can see. :)

Crystal:
Spr_2c_162.gif

Pretty simple sprite. It wags it's furry tail, blinks and opens it's mouth, ready to nom on like, a PRZCUREBERRY or something. Aside from that, it's essentially the same as it's Silver sprite, apart from it's movements.

Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen:
Spr_3r_162.png

Finally, a colour change, and it may not be the best one at that, but it's pretty cool for now if you ask me. Furret looks quite happy, and ready to dance here. Arms look a little weird though, like they were designed to hold a pair of cheerleading pompoms.

Emerald:

Spr_3e_162.gif

Seems like your average Emerald sprite. Moves a foot, some mouth animation and a bounce. I swear, Emerald sprites are like a bouncy ball, or some sort of equivalent to that. It's cool, but I'm unsure if it works. :/

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
Spr_4d_162.png

To be honest, this has got to be one of the only Diamond/Pearl sprites which actually do Furret a little justice. It looks like it's ready to fight, and scout at the same time, which is just amazing. This has got to be my favourite sprite out of all of the little Furret sprites. :)

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Spr_4h_162.png

This one is also cool. Now, if only Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's sprite had this sprite's colour scheme, then it'd be absolutely perfect. I love the colour scheme for this sprite, but this one seems a little unoriginal compared to the other sprites.

Black/White:
Spr_5b_162.png

It is the HeartGold/SoulSilver sprite, but with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's colour scheme. It's got to be worse than the two combined, but it works kinda well. There isn't really any lighting on this one, which is a little disappointing. And to think it was an okay sprite. :(

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
Years
Lol @ that golbat with its tongue out. wth.
Yes HG/SS seems to make all the pokemon anorexic and the worst has to be houndoom and then its everything they did to Jolteon. Its more like jolteon with disformities

Back