• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it ever okay to "spell it out?"

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
I ask this because of how in fandoms, certain things in a show or book or any sort of story can go over people's head with certain subtleties, making them think the author was being lazy. While some may be able to get it, others wouldn't. On the flip side, spelling things out could come off as you thinking your readers are idiots that need every damn thing explained. Which isn't good.

This is an issue with me since I'm damn awful at elaborating on something like a character's inner conflict or psychological stuff. Hell, I'm praying that you're getting at least the gist of what I'm getting at with this thread.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It depends, really, on what is being spelt out, and how. Is it important for the reader to know this, and/or does it aid in following the story? If it's plot specific then is it too-important a detail to whack a reader around the head with it, or a minor part that just won't matter if it is missed or not?

Crystalanachrony

ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n
Years
Unfortunately, there will always be the readers/viewers who just don't get the subtle meanings in your creation, as there will also always be the readers/watchers who over analyze everything they can get their hands on. For fanfiction specifically, the great thing about working in an area where your readers can directly talk to you (a thread) is that they can ask questions, so if they don't get something, they'll probably ask about it. You can also add authors' notes at the end in spoilers, that explain the symbolism for those who can't or don't want to figure it out themselves. Because of that, it's much less necessary to hit people around the head with your symbolism, and just leave it subtle.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
Unfortunately, there will always be the readers/viewers who just don't get the subtle meanings in your creation, as there will also always be the readers/watchers who over analyze everything they can get their hands on.

Yeah, can't please everyone.

Back