The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 1 Week Ago (04:08 PM).
Shiny Quagsire
I like .short's because they're comfy and easy to wear.

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionen View Post
Why this attitude towards the guy's script?
He's just trying to help. Stop acting as "I'm superior because I know asm" because that is nothing but disgusting.
The pokepic idea is extremely creative. Extremely. It may not be pratical, but I doubt that someone would ever think of something like that.
Scripts are great, and there are a lot of things best done with scripts. A lot of people have already tried doing this with scripts, and the results were the same every time: sluggish, slow, and not very good. And depending on how it's done, it would take a lot of work map-wise just to get it usable (walk scripts and the like). He wasn't trying to state superiority really, but he was just saying that while it *might* be possible to do it in a script, it's already been done in ASM and currently the best implementation will probably remain in ASM.

The main problem I see with the script (and it's also the main problem with a lot of the static-following-pokemon overworlds) is that checking where the player is facing isn't the best idea (not to mention the script would need to run every time the player moves, which is also not a good idea). Following Pokemon "echo" the last action of the player. If you moved left and then moved right, you and your pokemon should face opposite directions. This is why you can't just make a 32x32 overworld and slap a Pikachu behind the player; it looks extremely awkward and weird. And since we can't check what the player's last action was via script, it would still need ASM even if we did most of the core code in script anyhow.

Old 1 Week Ago (04:27 PM).
Christos
do you even gift?

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
While I do agree that NICKSID14's script doesn't really help at all with the follow me, there is no need for unnecessary comments on it.

There's nothing wrong with posts explaining why such a script won't work for a proper follow me, but rude or sarcastic posts are not tolerated in the forums and any further such comments in this thread will be deleted, and infractions will be handed out if necessary.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:32 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Christos.
NICKSID14

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched View Post
We thank you for your contribution to the realm of Follow Me. Hackers will surely use this wonderful idea that does 0.000001% of what follow me actually does. The lack of an actual pokemon following you is wonderful indeed.
I said that the script isn't done yet,at this phase the script is showing a not-moving sprite that it changes only x,y.in the update the sprite will be changing.Please read everything i wrote before saying something! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionen View Post
Why this attitude towards the guy's script?
He's just trying to help. Stop acting as "I'm superior because I know asm" because that is nothing but disgusting.
The pokepic idea is extremely creative. Extremely. It may not be pratical, but I doubt that someone would ever think of something like that.
Thanks but it's ok.There is no reason people taking everything so serious.I thought that the closeonkeypress is not locking the game,and i didn't knew that the follow me is done!I wrote this as a thread 3 days ago,i don't know how ti goes there!And the start of the post is missing!!!So everyone is attacking me without reason i posted this into my thread.NOW DOES ANYONE OF YOU STILL THINKS THAT I AM A BIG CRANK WHO IS NOT WATCHING OTHER PEOPLE JOB TO SAY HIS IDEA!..................IS THIS THE TRUTH?I NEVER MADE IT TO LEARN ASM AND I CAN'T,THE ONLY THINK I KNOW IS SCRIPTING.DOES ANYONE OF YOU HAVE PROBLEM WITH THIS?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
While I do agree that NICKSID14's script doesn't really help at all with the follow me, there is no need for unnecessary comments on it.

There's nothing wrong with posts explaining why such a script won't work for a proper follow me, but rude or sarcastic posts are not tolerated in the forums and any further such comments in this thread will be deleted, and infractions will be handed out if necessary.
thanks,please look my apologise explanation in the quote i wrote in dionen post.
Old 1 Week Ago (01:14 PM).
jAvAcOlA

So how far are we from getting this into what it needs to be for a Yellow remake? Gogo said he hasn't figured out ledges and warps. How big of a problem will that be?
Old 1 Week Ago (01:15 PM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jAvAcOlA View Post
So how far are we from getting this into what it needs to be for a Yellow remake? Gogo said he hasn't figured out ledges and warps. How big of a problem will that be?
Wait, I didn't say all that lol
I said I won't be needing/using ledges/warps/surf/bike for PR or PB.
Old 1 Week Ago (01:28 PM).
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Last I asked about it, Touched and daniilS were working on ledges. I'm not sure if they finished that. They also didn't have a solution for warps iirc. Though I understand warps not really needing to be done. You should handle the warps case by yourself in either a separate routine or script, rather than try to make the follow me handle it.

For the surfing and Biking, I would also modify those routines to have some form of check for the follow me being active and disable them if it is. You shouldn't be able to bike/surf if someone is following you anyways. These are rather minor changes in general.

So yeah, after ledges are fixed, I think it's pretty much complete :o

My name forum name is FBI Agent, though you can call me FBI because it's shorter. I ran a ASM request/resource thread feel free to check that out!

My current projects:
- Setting up ROM graphics :x
Old 1 Week Ago (01:50 PM).
jAvAcOlA

Originally Posted by GoGoJJTech View Post
Wait, I didn't say all that lol
I said I won't be needing/using ledges/warps/surf/bike for PR or PB.
You didn't need it...therefore you didn't figure it out.
Old 1 Week Ago (05:26 PM).
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAvAcOlA View Post
You didn't need it...therefore you didn't figure it out.
He wasn't the one working on it though, it was Touched and Daniils.
They also happen to be the most difficult things to figure out.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:19 AM).
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

just an idea for ledges...

as I understand it, the thing that is holding up progress is if the player stops after a ledge the follower wont know what to do. so the current idea is to have the follower wait until the player has taken 1 step then the follower makes the jump... why not let the follower make the jump 1 step behind (as normal) and if the player stops, just let the follower land on the ledge tile. then step off whenever the player moves. movement permission allow you to step off a ledge if you happen to land one one (which can be made to happen) so its not really breaking any rules.
Old 1 Week Ago (09:13 PM).
longlostsoldier

It occurred to me some newbs might like having some basic help (are people still making comments like 'can we do longer followme?'), and I'd really love to see more follow-me hacks or yellow remakes or something, so...

A lazy man's longer followme, a sucktastic version (no warp asm used, so, easy-ish for newbies):

Spam showsprite, movesprite and hidesprite everywhere; hide the sprite before you enter a new area via mapconnection or it will bug up (can spawn multiple followers if you have a spawnpoint on next map), if by warp it's fine. Put a spawnpoint next to flyspots and you will not have to worry about the FLY HM whatsoever. Spawnpoints mean if your follower gets lost for whatever-reason (say ledges), you can just go back to the 'showsprite movesprite' spawnpoint and it won't be the end of the world.

Use a surf script and hidesprite beforehand; - no, this doesn't solve the surf HM problem if you use the surf hm, but if you're doing a special yellow remake/homage with, say, surfing pikachu (oh all the memories... -happy sigh-), or are using a ship/raft item or something instead of the HM, that doesn't matter too much.

This method is a total pain in the butt, but, if you feel like you really want to play with followme it will let you. Less work if you arbitrarily decide not to have the follower in most buildings and towns or something like that, or if it's a short hack.

I apologize for my less than fantastic scripting skills, and this method probably isn't very helpful(?) but, here's an example of the hidesprite/showsprite spam, you can even use if you credit:

Long Lost Soldier's Following Script
Spoiler:

'Follow Script
#dynamic 0x810000
#org @followme
lockall
getplayerpos 0x4000 0x4001
checkflag 0x82f '(got pika, also runshoes because I was a lazy foobar)
if 0x0 goto @end 'originally goto @stopfollow, but I found it easier if I had the despawn and the spawn as two different scripts.
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @end 'say you ask pika not to follow
compare PLAYERFACING 0x1
if 0x1 call @down
compare PLAYERFACING 0x4 '(right!)
if 0x1 call @right
compare PLAYERFACING 0x3 '(left)
if 0x1 call @left
compare PLAYERFACING 0x2 '(up)
if 0x1 call @up
showsprite 0x01 'sprite has to appear for move to work I think?
movesprite 0x01 0x4000 0x4001
releaseall
end

#org @end
releaseall
end

'make following poke spawn in right place behind you. or should x_x sometimes does not work for me, idk, always seems to work correctly the very first time though
#org @up
subvar 0x4001 0x01 'facing up, so subtract from y
return

#org @down
addvar 0x4001 0x01 'add one to y
return

#org @right
subvar 0x4000 0x01 ' looking right, subtract
return

#org @left
addvar 0x4001 0x01 'looking left, add.
return

'-- STOP FOLLOWING SCRIPT
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @stopfollow
lockall
hidesprite 0x01
releaseall
end

I hope I put the correct version, I got it working before but that might be an older one.

Surf script, use something like:
setanimation 0x0 0x8004
doanimation 0x9,
NOT special 161 unless you use applymovement on the player, because special 161 just makes you surf in the spot right where you are, whereas do-animation will make you move forward one from the direction you are facing, so you can put it in a place where if you walk on to it you will always face water like a corner, or do some kind of water tile check.

I hope that's helpful.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links