• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Audy likes to do a lot of coding stuff, haha. However, I think it's because we get a lot of suggestions for a like feature that brought it on. I asked for prefixes in Metal/Color and Advance Generation the other night and he gave me colored prefixes! :) I love them so much! I need to get him to add them in here though haha. :3

I worked on my challenge bowl stuff today...my team is so awful. XD Hopefully when Timburr and Phanpy evolves and Swablu gets added to the team, we'll be better. Smeargle got a new move today too (Sketch became Leech Seed) so we'll see. I might work on it again tonight.

11wildy

Me!
Years
Imma call you crazy for using Smeargle, but it's really cool that you do actually use it! It seems more useless than Shuckle, who was actually pretty good after getting Toxic!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I went with it because it's part of my old username, but also because sports fans tend to paint their face or body haha. It's hard to use, but it has been useful in tight spots, so not too many complaints really. It gets better and better as I go along.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Hello! Well, I'm back. With a challenge idea. I would like to make it myself, and I just need some criticism on it and how to make it validated successfully (as in, making it better so it can stand as a thread). I just found an idea...an ASCII challenge. Here's how it goes: You specify a certain sentence. Later, I'll find out what it'd look like in ASCII code and determine the Pokemon that they can use from that ASCII code. Example:

User 1: A great revelation.
Me: 65 32 103 114 101 97 116 32 114 101 118 101 108 97 116 105 111 110 46. Out of all these numbers, the Pokemon chosen from these numbers are...No. 6, No. 3, No.1, No.111, No.77, and No.99.

Like that. Of course, the Pokemon chosen would conform to a rule...Maybe...it must be available to catch before mid-game (before the 4th badge). It must be able to be caught in the game. Stuff like that. Well, that's all I can say about the challenge. It's pretty simple.

EDIT: Oh yeah, can I make the thread and be delayed on participation? I want to do it in B2, but I don't have it...yet.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Hello! Well, I'm back. With a challenge idea. I would like to make it myself, and I just need some criticism on it and how to make it validated successfully (as in, making it better so it can stand as a thread). I just found an idea...an ASCII challenge. Here's how it goes: You specify a certain sentence. Later, I'll find out what it'd look like in ASCII code and determine the Pokemon that they can use from that ASCII code. Example:

User 1: A great revelation.
Me: 65 32 103 114 101 97 116 32 114 101 118 101 108 97 116 105 111 110 46. Out of all these numbers, the Pokemon chosen from these numbers are...No. 6, No. 3, No.1, No.111, No.77, and No.99.

Like that. Of course, the Pokemon chosen would conform to a rule...Maybe...it must be available to catch before mid-game (before the 4th badge). It must be able to be caught in the game. Stuff like that. Well, that's all I can say about the challenge. It's pretty simple.

EDIT: Oh yeah, can I make the thread and be delayed on participation? I want to do it in B2, but I don't have it...yet.
Sounds interesting, but I would try to make it so anyone can actually do the conversion, since threads that are dependent on the thread owner assigning teams don't usually last very long. Maybe try to make it simpler or something? idk.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
@JD: If you've ever played any of the Final Fantasy Tactics series, the battles are very similar to those. I recommend it, its a completely different game and has quite a bit of challenge potential.

@RGoF: I like the idea, especially if you put a link to an ASCII converter so everyone can make their teams, like JD said. What would you think about everyone using their usernames? That could potentially work.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Sounds interesting, but I would try to make it so anyone can actually do the conversion, since threads that are dependent on the thread owner assigning teams don't usually last very long. Maybe try to make it simpler or something? idk.

Not gonna lie, when I get challenge submitted that require this, if I don't know that user well enough (like if they're new or I've never seen them and have no clue about how their activity here is or will be), then it'll be denied. It's easier to have those challenges so that other challengers can also assign teams. Cause believe me, it's hard to keep up with that. Hell, I can't even keep up with sign-ups most of the time. Still have to update Challenge Bowl's challenger list UGH. >:( who wants to go through and look at all the sign ups for me and pm me the ones i haven't added yet n___n no one? thought so.....

But yeah, I think once you work out the other kinks, just make it so that others can assign teams and it should work out better. You don't ever wanna have challengers dependent on the OP for that. Some get needy just over the challenger list and request I lock threads because of inactive owners. @_@

adlkfjeorhsofhslajlfsdjfs I STILL NEED TO MAKE EMBLEMS FOR GT AND CHALLENGE BOWL FML

11wildy

Me!
Years
Well, I feel li9ke playing Pokemon Leafgreen again, any suggestions for a challenge, that can be combinted with a monotype? And any type suggestions?

Years
Do my challenge :P

You could do a solo challenge, that way it'd be monotype no matter what!

Or you could combine it with a monocolor? Or even a mono-body style could be interesting...

For type you should use bug, since it was the weakest type in gen 3 (I think it was at least) so much more challenging. Or you could normal, could be interesting.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Monocolor and monotype are pretty easy to combine imo, as well as a lot of the time monocolor + monotype + gym leader. For someone like me who is slowly doing all of what I think of as the "main" challenges (Solo, Duo, Trio, Nuzlocke, Evil Team, Gym Type, Gym Disadvantage, Catch 'em All, One in Each, Random, Gym Leader, Elite Four, Monotype, Color, Tier, and Alphabet*) challenges, combining and making 2/3 in 1 challenges not only makes it fun/more difficult, it also saves a LOT of time.

*Disclaimer: My list of challenges was made at a time where all of these challenges were "prominent" challenges, and I know like the Gym Type/Disadvantage aren't active right now, but they're still solid challenges for someone to do.

11wildy

Me!
Years
I'm not looking for something that restricts my teams choices, I would rather have some extra gameplay rules to make it more difficult, but thanks for the opinions!

11wildy

Me!
Years
Why is this topic so dead! Has anybody ever did a challenge in which you can have only 3 attack slots? I just did that on my ground monotype in Crystal, I hacked in 4 TM Sandstorm, just to give my whole team Sandstorm, which is close to useless in-game. It's really limiting for most Pokemon if you can only use 3 moves on it, since you get less coverage, or lack a stab move, or miss on an important supporting move.

Years
A lot of the time I find myself just using one or two moves on a pokemon, especially up until the 4th gym or so. (although this really depends on the pokemon)

Has anybody ever done some sort of a layer challenge? Where you start off with one rule and then as you go you get more rules (say, per gym leader) Or the opposite, you start off with many rules and then lose a rule after each gym leader?

Or perhaps you start off with a bunch of rules and earn points in various ways, and then can use points to get rid of a rule??? :/

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I haven't done a challenge that layers (that I remember anyway) and I'm sure we've had a challenge with a point system like that. I personally don't like the over the top MMORPG or point system style challenges though. Involves other people too much and I don't want to have to rely on someone or have someone rely on me. I take challenges pretty slowly. lol

Why is this topic so dead!

Because we're busy? This thread is never dead btw. It's a sticky...can't die. So...lol. :P

11wildy

Me!
Years
Yeah that's right Syd, but it was fainted in that case :3.

And same here, I never played a challenge that stacks rules or requires points. Imo, that's too much effort outside of the game to be fun. I prefer a difficult in-game challenge. Like my mono-water nuzlocke on black 2 >.< Seems like a suicidal move to me. How tha **** can I EVER beat Kyurem-Black forme!

11wildy

Me!
Years
Uuuh, I hope not, since I think I'm a boy still.. O_O

And I do like Scramble challenges once in a while though, since it kind of makes good Pokemon difficult to use as well ;D. And I love difficult challenges. Although a monowater nuzlocke on black 2 is way more difficult than expected. I got only my Samurott alive, along with a freshly caught level 30 alomomola. Just after the eight gym O_O. Dead count: 12

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Uuuh, I hope not, since I think I'm a boy still.. O_O

And I do like Scramble challenges once in a while though, since it kind of makes good Pokemon difficult to use as well ;D. And I love difficult challenges. Although a monowater nuzlocke on black 2 is way more difficult than expected. I got only my Samurott alive, along with a freshly caught level 30 alomomola. Just after the eight gym O_O. Dead count: 12

Uhhh Nurse Roy?

And my biggest problem is that I like getting a challenge, and then maybe taking a little break, and then saying "okay, time to do that challenge" and doing it in one fell swoop without having to look back and see what the rules are. Some challenges just have too many rules (or like the scramble, where I have to remember specific movesets that I wouldn't normally have? Forget it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back