• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anyone successfully made a Dungeon Generator?

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Davidthefat, don't double post - the Edit button is in plain sight and should be used for these kind of things. I would also like it if you stopped posting these diatribes on how everyone should learn to code because it's the professional way it's done. It's just ********. Most of the people on here develop games as a hobby and have little interest in taking the time to learn the intricacies of a programming language just because you keep saying that it's the better way of doing things.

Please just let the coconuts do their jigs, okay?
Well there is no way to have dungeon generator without programming -_-;; Hey I was subscribed to him and he posted it couple hours ago, I thought it was perfect to post up here, Im trying help here. Personally if you are not the programmer trying to learn how to program something, don't even bother asking how to do it. You can't draw an algorithm and make it work; you need to program it. Ok I am saying at least learn the god damn Game Maker Language. If you are going to use a program, learn the program, don't expect anyone to spoon feed you anything. Scripting is part of Game Maker, I am not telling him to learn C++, hell I am telling him to program/script (whatever you wanna call it) himself. I gave him plenty of info on the concepts and the algorithm to do it. The OP has to take the step and the initiative to strive to program this. Well if he is not the programmer, why the hell would he be asking this quetion? Leave it up to the programmer to figure that out... Damn, if its you working alone, you bettter learn to program because you can't have a game without the code.

Sorry If I sound like flaming or something, I am raging brahs, if you want to make a game by your self with out a dedicated programmer, you better learn to program your self. Scripting, programming what ever you call it. Just because you are using Game Maker or RPG Maker, a game is not gonna come out of your butt like that, you have to work for it. No one will spoon feed you anything. Damn, personally I know I sound rude right now, but come on, think guys think...

Ok and I am guilty if not using the edit button, but I am not guilty for not spoon feeding him everything

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Personally if you are not the programmer trying to learn how to program something, don't even bother asking how to do it. You can't draw an algorithm and make it work; you need to program it.
Okay, that sort of insulted me. With none of your guys help, I already figured it all out. I created a path finding system myself too, I drew everything out in school and just transferred it into Game Maker. Aside from a couple of glitches, I have it all working, I made it create 2 little rooms randomly(it must be noted that I separated where the rooms could go into sectors). Then, I created 1 path going from each room the towards each other. If they are ever on the same x or y axis, they merge together to create a sort of curve. Then, I check if there is a path going from each room and if not, I repeat the process to create a path between the rooms over.

So yeah, maybe you guys can expect a post at the Drawing Boards for a Mystery Dungeon game next month. I still have a lot of work to do myself, after optimizing my room generation, I have to actually create the room as I'm only testing it as an array and simply drawing the array as the minimap to test the dungeon generation.

Oh and I simply posted this because I wanted to know if anyone else accomplished this task, and so I was going to ask them for some help but it turned out I didn't need it.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Okay, that sort of insulted me. With none of your guys help, I already figured it all out. I created a path finding system myself too, I drew everything out in school and just transferred it into Game Maker. Aside from a couple of glitches, I have it all working, I made it create 2 little rooms randomly(it must be noted that I separated where the rooms could go into sectors). Then, I created 1 path going from each room the towards each other. If they are ever on the same x or y axis, they merge together to create a sort of curve. Then, I check if there is a path going from each room and if not, I repeat the process to create a path between the rooms over.

So yeah, maybe you guys can expect a post at the Drawing Boards for a Mystery Dungeon game next month. I still have a lot of work to do myself, after optimizing my room generation, I have to actually create the room as I'm only testing it as an array and simply drawing the array as the minimap to test the dungeon generation.

Oh and I simply posted this because I wanted to know if anyone else accomplished this task, and so I was going to ask them for some help but it turned out I didn't need it.
Good for you bro, thats the way you should do it. Honestly I ask for help as the last resort. That is what I want people to be doing; trying to solve the problem first before asking for help. I congratulate you for doing that; thank you.

Come on though, the part you quoted from me is common sense. If one is not an artist; he needs to practice to be an artist. Same goes for programming; one can not make a game without programming. So if making a game alone is the goal, learn to program. Easy as that.

Back