• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: ASM Tutorial document

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
While still in a beta version, I come here today with a document on the ARM7 Thumb-mode assembly.
I say this is a beta version because I wrote it but nobody read it, and (of course) I understand what's in it, but I have no idea what someone who doesn't will be able to grasp from it.
Any comments in this thread will be used to improve this document until it is ready for a final version.

Also, I'm sorry for the lack of pictures or examples. For now, I hope the examples I provide are enough, but if need arises, I will provide some more.

Years
I've just glanced over the whole article.
Having read some of ASM tutorials ,including this one,I think that they have taken a little far from Pokemon games,though this one is more relational.
Anyway,good tutorial.

Last edited:

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
I've just glanced over the whole article.
Having read some of ASM tutorials ,including this one,I think that they have taken a little far from Pokemon games,though this one is more relational.
Anyway,good tutorial.
I agree, I've read a few (mabye 2 or 3) ASM tutorials and they all explained what registers were, but they didn't tell you what you could do with them in the pokemon games.

I tried reading through this tutorial and I understood everything till about half way, where I lost it at adding two variables together... That program was too complex xD.

Anyway I think I'm just not ready for ASM yet xD

But it's a great tutorial!

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
great tut! I read through it all and only missed 1 or 2 things!
Edit:I think that along with push and pop there is a move.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
The reason they don't go into detail about how to use it in pokemon is because ARM/THUMB technical manuals/tutorials usually explain going through the process of MAKING GBA games. ASM isn't centered around pokemon, and in reality, you can develop ASM codes for ANY game... not just pokemon... BUT, Us ROM hackers have found a good use for this complicated bit of programming code.

Thanks JPAN, I knew you would pull through!

Just finished reading, and I must say, it looks a lot like some other ARM/THUMB documents I have read... It has a few things that could be used for Pokemon, but no interactivity.
give us some challenges, some tasks.

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
LOL @ above poster.
Like the tut quite a bit.
Perhaps you could explain how to find routines that are being ran?
I see a bunch of people in R&D posting disassembled routines for things like items/surfing etc...i was wondering if you could post how to do that?
also, i think omega was onto something with the usefulness of mov...

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
Full Metal said:
LOL @ above poster.
Like the tut quite a bit.
Perhaps you could explain how to find routines that are being ran?
I see a bunch of people in R&D posting disassembled routines for things like items/surfing etc...i was wondering if you could post how to do that?
also, i think omega was onto something with the usefulness of mov...
Go download a debugger, read the manual... Then run your ROM with the debugger and add breakpoints to it while watching your game break at certain routines. That's the best way to describe it, can't think of something better.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
mkay can you recomend a good one?
and how do i know where to set the breakpoints?
i've looked at the disassembler in VBA and it only has RAM addresses, and it skips around way to much for me to know whats going on, which vba-sdl-h only supports 0x08xxxxxx addresses, or am i wrong?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
mkay can you recomend a good one?
and how do i know where to set the breakpoints?
i've looked at the disassembler in VBA and it only has RAM addresses, and it skips around way to much for me to know whats going on, which vba-sdl-h only supports 0x08xxxxxx addresses, or am i wrong?

You might want to read my ASM tutorials.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
er...i have ... several times, and now i got the thing to work...sort of >_< well...it copies the bytes and everything, but the buffernumber doesn't work right both times, so i must be doin somethin wrong.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
....I dont know all wif ASM....ASM need a compliler?If got please give me link and tutorial how to use.Thanks~:)

PokeBunny

Pokemon Game Maker
Years
Hi I'm new. I am 12 years old. I am going to make my own POkemon game.
I know everything besides the dreaded ASM.

Are there ASM tutorial that are COMPLETE for Pokemn?

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
While still in a beta version, I come here today with a document on the ARM7 Thumb-mode assembly.
I say this is a beta version because I wrote it but nobody read it, and (of course) I understand what's in it, but I have no idea what someone who doesn't will be able to grasp from it.
Any comments in this thread will be used to improve this document until it is ready for a final version.

Also, I'm sorry for the lack of pictures or examples. For now, I hope the examples I provide are enough, but if need arises, I will provide some more.

Link is dead so here is a new one JPANs Thumb Tutorial with original and pdf versions

Last edited:
Back