• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Alright. I'll be sure to check later. Also, one last question I just thought of (Thought of it because of reading the Adding Pokemon page on the Wiki). Is it possible to make a Pokemon evolve depending on the location where it is?
Yes. Check the Evolution page. It's not implemented, for obvious reasons (every game has different maps), but it's not too difficult. Just make sure you know where to put the new method (i.e. above the HappinessDay/HappinessNight ones).

Edit: Also, I just now tried to put a new Pokemon in. I keep getting an error. I'll post the error and what I added if anyone has any input on why its messing up.

[494]
Name=MISSINGNO.
InternalName=MISSINGNO
Type1=FLYING
;Type1=GLITCH
BaseStats=33,136,0,32,6,6
Moves=1,WATERGUN,1,SKYATTACK,
GenderRate=Genderless
BaseEXP=125
EffortPoints=1,3,-3,1,2,2
Height=3.048
Weight=1590.839160064
Kind=Glitch
Pokedex=MissingNo. is infamous throughout Kanto for the ability to corrupt a trainers Hall of Fame data.
Color=Purple
Rareness=3
StepsToHatch=65536
Compatability=15,15
Abilities=Duplication,Hax
;Evolution=HIBAKTOL,location
Habitat=Rare

And heres the error:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1586:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
Compiler:1569:in `each_line'
Compiler:1569:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
Compiler:1607:in `pbEachFileSection'
Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2163:in `open'
Compiler:2163:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:4034

This exception was logged in
C:\Users\Andrew\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK
Several people have had this problem, and I don't know the solution.

Since the error in your case is in section 493 (Arceus), find the "WildItemRare" line in there and copy-paste another equals sign over the one in that line. I don't know if this will work, but I know why it might - you can have two different symbols in a character set (font) that look the same, but according to the computer they aren't. This line appears to be using the wrong kind of equals sign, so instead you should copy one of the ones you know does work.

That's my theory, anyway. Please let everyone know if it does work.

Second Edit: As seen above, I want to add abilities. Is it possible? I checked the wiki, but it didnt seem to have a page.
Of course it's possible to add abilities, but it's very complicated. Each ability is different, and thus goes in different parts of the scripts (e.g. Intimidate, Overgrow, Air Lock, Drizzle, Forecast and Magnet Pull all do completely different things).

There can never be any real guide for abilities, other than points for the most common effects (I don't know what those might be, though). You should just assume messing around with abilities in any way is an advanced coding technique, and if you don't already know how to do it, you shouldn't try.

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
Yes. Check the Evolution page. It's not implemented, for obvious reasons (every game has different maps), but it's not too difficult. Just make sure you know where to put the new method (i.e. above the HappinessDay/HappinessNight ones).
I read over it and didn't understand it fully. I wasn't sure what to do with it at all.

Several people have had this problem, and I don't know the solution.

Since the error in your case is in section 493 (Arceus), find the "WildItemRare" line in there and copy-paste another equals sign over the one in that line. I don't know if this will work, but I know why it might - you can have two different symbols in a character set (font) that look the same, but according to the computer they aren't. This line appears to be using the wrong kind of equals sign, so instead you should copy one of the ones you know does work.

That's my theory, anyway. Please let everyone know if it does work.
Figured out my issue. It was the Semicolons. I tested it when adding another Pokemon, and had the Semicolons, and the error returned. When I removed the Semicolons it seemed to work. Don't quite know if it's a Permanent Fix, but it's worth a shot.

I tried what you said first off, adding everything it said it was missing. But even it was fixed, it kept saying File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare. So I messed around with a bit, noticed I forgot some things in 494, added those in, then removed the extra entries and then removed the semicolons. I only figured out the error when I did the same with 495. I had a Semicolon around Type2= because I hadn't added its new type yet, and the error came back, same error, but this time for 494. First thing I did was remove the Semilcolons because everything else was correct, and somehow it was fixed.

Of course it's possible to add abilities, but it's very complicated. Each ability is different, and thus goes in different parts of the scripts (e.g. Intimidate, Overgrow, Air Lock, Drizzle, Forecast and Magnet Pull all do completely different things).

There can never be any real guide for abilities, other than points for the most common effects (I don't know what those might be, though). You should just assume messing around with abilities in any way is an advanced coding technique, and if you don't already know how to do it, you shouldn't try.
Alright, Thanks for the help anyways.

Also, its funny. I'm finding I have so much better luck doing stuff in RPG Maker than I ever did in Hacking.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
I read over it and didn't understand it fully. I wasn't sure what to do with it at all.
It's assumed people who want to mess around with the scripts actually know a little bit about scripting. Despite the lack of screenshots, I think there's enough information there to allow people to add in new evolution methods, as long as they know what they're doing. Really, unless you're willing to sit down and actually learn a bit of RGSS and figure out for yourself how Essentials works, you shouldn't even be thinking about messing with the scripts at all.

Figured out my issue. It was the Semicolons. I tested it when adding another Pokemon, and had the Semicolons, and the error returned. When I removed the Semicolons it seemed to work. Don't quite know if it's a Permanent Fix, but it's worth a shot.
I did notice those semi-colons, but I didn't think you were actually including them (because that's just a silly thing to do). If you want to quote something out, use # at the beginning of the line. Again, learn some RGSS basics.

I tried what you said first off, adding everything it said it was missing. But even it was fixed, it kept saying File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare. So I messed around with a bit, noticed I forgot some things in 494, added those in, then removed the extra entries and then removed the semicolons. I only figured out the error when I did the same with 495. I had a Semicolon around Type2= because I hadn't added its new type yet, and the error came back, same error, but this time for 494. First thing I did was remove the Semilcolons because everything else was correct, and somehow it was fixed.
Interesting. So when it said there was an error in section 493, it's actually referring to the 494th Pokémon - makes sense, since the section number count will be zero-based. Worth bearing in mind.

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
It's assumed people who want to mess around with the scripts actually know a little bit about scripting. Despite the lack of screenshots, I think there's enough information there to allow people to add in new evolution methods, as long as they know what they're doing. Really, unless you're willing to sit down and actually learn a bit of RGSS and figure out for yourself how Essentials works, you shouldn't even be thinking about messing with the scripts at all.

I'll keep that in mind when I get further on in my project.

I did notice those semi-colons, but I didn't think you were actually including them (because that's just a silly thing to do). If you want to quote something out, use # at the beginning of the line. Again, learn some RGSS basics.
Scripting for anything has always been a pain for me. I could always attempt to learn RGSS and hope to understand it.

Interesting. So when it said there was an error in section 493, it's actually referring to the 494th Pokémon - makes sense, since the section number count will be zero-based. Worth bearing in mind.
I guess so. At least I know I wont be making that mistake anymore. Thanks for the information.

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 3, 2024
Is there anywhere I can get a PBS file that already has all the moves in it? I noticed that the one in the version I have doesn't have them all, and therefore the pokemon who should have those moves don't have them either. Or would I have to do this manually?

Which version of Essentials are you using? The newest ones (at least, the most recent ones I downloaded) do include DP moves in moves.txt (haven't really checked the learnsets in pokemon.txt so I don't know if they were added there), although only the moves that share effect codes with earlier moves actually work--aqua tail and focus blast work fine, for example, because they have effects identical to moves like tackle and psychic, but gravity does not work. I don't mind sharing my moves.txt and saving you some typing if you can't get one that includes DP moves (actually, didn't Wichu offer a download of an updated moves.txt somewhere? Try searching for it), although you'll still have to do all of the actual scripting for moves like gravity, natural gift, etc. on your own. If you do end up writing it on your own then you'll want to find the effect codes for existing moves and make sure you're using the right ones for the new moves--poccil has a list of moves by effect code on his website, so that should help.

Valora17

Something Memorable?
Years
Which version of Essentials are you using? The newest ones (at least, the most recent ones I downloaded) do include DP moves in moves.txt (haven't really checked the learnsets in pokemon.txt so I don't know if they were added there), although only the moves that share effect codes with earlier moves actually work--aqua tail and focus blast work fine, for example, because they have effects identical to moves like tackle and psychic, but gravity does not work. I don't mind sharing my moves.txt and saving you some typing if you can't get one that includes DP moves (actually, didn't Wichu offer a download of an updated moves.txt somewhere? Try searching for it), although you'll still have to do all of the actual scripting for moves like gravity, natural gift, etc. on your own. If you do end up writing it on your own then you'll want to find the effect codes for existing moves and make sure you're using the right ones for the new moves--poccil has a list of moves by effect code on his website, so that should help.

I'm using a relatively old one, I can't remember which update it was but it's from a few months ago. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to save myself the typing; but otherwise I can just do it myself. At least then I'll be able to focus on the scripting more than the actual writing of the attacks and what-not.

thepsynergist

A Gym Leader, Kyushu Region
Years
Okay, I've been trying to get help from Crazyninjaguy about Scene_Movie working as a Title Screen and I've come across a snag, and was hoping people here could help me out. The script I used is in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

Now for the issue. The video works just great. The problem is that the video is 320x240 resolution and my game is played at 640x480. This issue with this is that the video only plays on the top left corner of the screen, only using 1/4 of the total screen size. The problem is, I want the video to play in the middle of the screen, not the top left corner.

Another issue I have, is that when you try to press a button to get to the actual game, the video doesn't stop playing... Is there a command I can put in the script to stop the movie from playing in addition to forcing it to play in the middle of the screen? I really need this info as soon as someone is able. I plan on releasing a new demo of my game in a few days, and I can't if I can't get this error fixed. Can someone please help me?

Also, I added code into Main after line 17.

Any ideas?

Ok, can someone at least tell me how to make the video stop playing?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Ok, can someone at least tell me how to make the video stop playing?
I'll see if I can get it working. Are you calling it from an event, or using it as the title? I'm just asking because "stopping" it calls the title screen, which you wouldn't want in the middle of playing.

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
New question now: The icons used for Party Sprites, when you add a new pokemon, they already have a predetermined icon. Aka, if you add Pokemon 494, it's icon will be Egg, Pokemon 495 will be Manaphy Egg, and so on. Is there any way to make it so the new Pokemon can use a different icon number, without having to change all the numbers for every icon? From what I've assumed, it'd be impossible to change the numbers because of Multi Form pokemon (Ex: Unown, Deoxys, Burmy, Wormadam)

Maruno

Years
New question now: The icons used for Party Sprites, when you add a new pokemon, they already have a predetermined icon. Aka, if you add Pokemon 494, it's icon will be Egg, Pokemon 495 will be Manaphy Egg, and so on. Is there any way to make it so the new Pokemon can use a different icon number, without having to change all the numbers for every icon? From what I've assumed, it'd be impossible to change the numbers because of Multi Form pokemon (Ex: Unown, Deoxys, Burmy, Wormadam)
The icons numbered 494 and onwards (the eggs and alternate forms) are not actually used, and are just there for completeness (albeit with misleading names). Alternate forms have names like "201_1" (for Unown), and the one egg sprite used (Manaphy's special variant isn't programmed in) is called "iconEgg" and is kept in a different folder.

You can rename the icons with numbers 494 and onwards safely, and replace them with the icons you want.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I'm using it as the title, not through an event.
It took me a while to figure it out, but in the end it was something ridiculously simple. Under the (Input::B) check, put movie.call("close FILE",0,0,0) above the intro scene call. The author neglected that one line (which I found in a different version of the Movie script).

thepsynergist

A Gym Leader, Kyushu Region
Years
It took me a while to figure it out, but in the end it was something ridiculously simple. Under the (Input::B) check, put movie.call("close FILE",0,0,0) above the intro scene call. The author neglected that one line (which I found in a different version of the Movie script).

You've no idea how thankful I am for this, thank you so much. There is one minor issue still, but you don't have to help with that if you don't want.

All I need to do is figure out how to center my video on the screen, rather than having it sit in the top left corner. If I can't get that to work, I'll have to re-encode the video to 640x480. But if I do that, the file with quadruple in size. It's already 100mb, and I think even that is far too large. Any ideas?

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
The icons numbered 494 and onwards (the eggs and alternate forms) are not actually used, and are just there for completeness (albeit with misleading names). Alternate forms have names like "201_1" (for Unown), and the one egg sprite used (Manaphy's special variant isn't programmed in) is called "iconEgg" and is kept in a different folder.

You can rename the icons with numbers 494 and onwards safely, and replace them with the icons you want.

This just saved my life u.u Now I dont need to worry. Thank you for the help.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
You've no idea how thankful I am for this, thank you so much. There is one minor issue still, but you don't have to help with that if you don't want.

All I need to do is figure out how to center my video on the screen, rather than having it sit in the top left corner. If I can't get that to work, I'll have to re-encode the video to 640x480. But if I do that, the file with quadruple in size. It's already 100mb, and I think even that is far too large. Any ideas?
I don't know if centering is possible, but setting the x and y values should be possible. I could do it for images, and viewports too, but I don't think you can set an x and y for scenes ($scene), so I don't know how to apply it to the video. If I figure something out, I'll be sure to let you know (unless someone else does it first).

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Question, again. Aside from there not being any tiles, would it be possible to make a Sideways Waterfall? Sideways being going from Left-Right and not just Up-Down.
Yeah, and it wouldn't be much different from a normal waterfall. I don't know if it would look too good though. Basically, you would need a check to see if the player was facing left, and then right. Then, just add a move right and move left command depending on the direction. This is the waterfall ascending code in PokemonHiddenMoves, with changes in green:
Spoiler:
I can't guarantee that it'll work, since it's off the top of my head, but try it and see. You'll need something similar for descending too.

GameArtistOlivier

Game Artist
Years
No townmapgen.html?

Hi, I'm new to PC. I have a problem. I went to upokecenter.com and downloaded the pokemon essentials pokestarter kit of may 7, 2010. Unfortunately there isn't a file included called townmapgen.html. They say it's supposed to be there, but it really isn't. Can anybody help?
I don't know if this has already been mentioned.
Thanks in advance.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Hi how can i make animated circle from 4 bitmaps? but moved with up down arrows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back