• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Form Challenge

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Keep them Cute and Tiny!

Pokemon get stronger when they evolve, but I'm sure there are many evolution lines you prefer the first form of. This challenge is meant to capitalize on that, which means your whole team of Pokemon must remain in their first evolutionary form the whole game. It may be super difficult, so the requirements here are a little more lenient than other challenges. Here are the key rules of this challenge.

• All of the Pokemon on your team must be able to evolve at least once in the game you are playing.
  • All Pokemon on your team must remain in their earliest form.
  • Trading is banned in any format. With no need to evolve Pokemon via trading, there should be no need to trade.
  • If you "accidentally" evolve a Pokemon, there are no second chances. Either shut the game off and go to your last save point, or Deposit the Pokemon until the end of the challenge.
  • Rom Hacks are permitted, though I would still encourage you to play the originals ;)
  • You must have at least 3 Viable Party Members by the 8th badge
  • HM Slaves are allowed
  • The challenge is considered completed when you obtain the 8th badge of any region. (More details later in the post about the Elite 4)

Those are the main rules. The following are some less important additional rules.

• Baby Pokemon Exceptions: In every generation, Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Marill are all permitted as party members instead of their baby counterparts, even if you have to evolve the baby version into them. You are of course able to use their baby version if you prefer.
  • Scyther Exception: Scyther has a total base stat of 500, and is ridiculously powerful for this type of challenge. In all generations, Scyther is banned.
  • Gen 6 Silliness is Permitted: Given how high damaging Pokemon becomes by Generation 6, you are freely permitted to use EXP. Share and Pokemon Amie to give you some much needed bonuses.
  • Mega Evolution Silliness: Pokemon with Mega Evolutions are not considered proper evolutions for this challenge, meaning you are not permitted to take Pinsir, Mawile, or other such Pokemon that have no proper evolution.
  • Pokewalker/Dream Radar: Pokemon obtained via the Pokewalker or Dream Radar are permitted so long as they meet all the other requirements of the challenge.
  • Time Capsule Item Acquisition: In Gold/Silver/Crystal, certain Time Capsule trades are permitted to obtain items you otherwise cannot obtain in the game. The following items are permitted to be obtained via trade, but only once each. The Pokemon received in the trade cannot be used on your team, or for breeding
  • Breeding Rules: Pokemon breeding is 100% okay in this challenge. If you want to breed for Smoochum, Munchlax, or any other baby Pokemon, you're totally welcome to do so.
  • About Egg Moves: Egg moves make Pokemon more useful sometimes, and I welcome people to take advantage of it. You are allowed to capture any Pokemon in your game for the sake of breeding egg moves, but if they aren't first form Pokemon, you can only train those Pokemon in the wild. So if you wanted a Tototdile with Ancientpower, you would be allowed to capture a Corsola and level it up ONLY with random encounters until it learns AncientPower. You may not use the Corsola (or whichever pokemon in your case) in any form of trainer battle.

Obtainable Items:
Polkadot Bow (Trade Jigglypuff)
TM 09 (Trade Abra)
Light Ball (Trade Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow)
Brightpowder (Trade Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, or Mewtwo)

End of the Challenge Ribbons

Once you reach the end of the challenge by obtaining the 8 badges of your region, you have a few options on what to do next. Depending on how you complete the challenge, you will obtain different ribbons next to your name in the Champions List below.

Completed the Challenge After the 8th Badge: Effort Ribbon:
Effort_Ribbon.png

"You put in a solid effort and completed the challenge! Your Pokemon have a lot of respect for you."

Completed the Challenge and Defeated the Elite Four by Evolving your Pokemon: Winning Ribbon:
Winning_Ribbon.png

You defeated the Elite Four, but you had to evolve your Pokemon in order to do it. You're a little conflicted about your Victory, but your Pokemon seem to be happy enough. You decide not to go to Mt. Silver, or refight the Elite Four. Your challenge ends here.

Completed the Challenge and Defeated the Elite Four without Evolving Any Pokemon: Champion Ribbon:
Champion_Ribbon.png

You were determined enough to complete the challenge and go all the way to the end credits with your team of tiny Pokemon. Congratulations on becoming the Champion!

Completed the Challenge and went on to Defeat Red or the Round 2 Elite 4 Without Evolving Your Pokemon: Legend Ribbon
Legend_Ribbon.png

You are an official First Form Pokemon Master! Congratulations on being the best, and trusting your Pokemon to the very end. You truly are a wonderful trainer!

Applicable Games and Requirements:

FireRed/LeafGreen: Defeat Round 2 of the Elite 4
Gold/Silver/Crystal: Defeat Red
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Defeat Red
Emerald: Defeat Steven
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Defeat Round 2 of the Elite Four

Platinum: Defeat Round 2 of the Elite 4
Black/White: Defeat Round 2 of the Elite 4
Black/White 2: Defeat Round 2 of the Elite 4
X/Y: Completed the whole challenge and defeated AZ with first form Pokemon without using the EXP Share or Pokemon Amie

About Sign Up Sheets

To encourage people to stick with a game the whole way, Ultimate challenges are not an option here. This challenge encourages you to pick your favourite Pokemon game, and go all out on it. You will of course be credited for each game you complete, but there will be no Ultimate List. If you want to sign up for multiple games, you'll have to do multiple sign ups. With that said, here is the sign up form.

Username:
Game of Choice:

One does not have to decide which Ribbon to go for at the start of the game, so sign ups only require your username and game. The challenge ends after the 8th badge, and at that point you can decide if you want to continue or not. So long as you have your save file, you always have the option of going back to it and aiming for a higher Ribbon. The only case where a Ribbon is permanent is if you choose to evolve for the Elite 4 and get the Winning Medal. Should you ever decide to go back to a game you won the Winning Ribbon on, you'd have to start the game from scratch.

Challenger List:
Spoiler:

Champion List:
Spoiler:

Here is my Sign Up Form for the challenge, which I will be taking part in.

Username: Lynda
Game of Choice: Gold

Sorry for the long read, and I hope you enjoy! I hope to see a lot of challengers take part, so let's get this going!

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Approved, though I have a couple of concerns. First off, I don't see much point in forbidding ROM Hacks. They are perfectly capable of playing this challenge too and are pretty popular to use in this forum. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure I understand the point of having a win condition for evolving your Pokemon in a challenge that forbids evolving your Pokemon. It kinda defeats the purpose of the challenge, doesn't it?

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Approved, though I have a couple of concerns. First off, I don't see much point in forbidding ROM Hacks. They are perfectly capable of playing this challenge too and are pretty popular to use in this forum. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure I understand the point of having a win condition for evolving your Pokemon in a challenge that forbids evolving your Pokemon. It kinda defeats the purpose of the challenge, doesn't it?

I've always been an advocate of finding new ways to enjoy the same old games without the use of hacking. Part of what I dislike about Pokemon Rom hacks is that a lot of them make changes to Pokemon's stats or movesets, or make certain Pokemon available at times they shouldn't be. If you're going to do a challenge run of a Gen II game, but pick the romhack that makes the challenge the most convenient, then it sort of defeats the purpose of doing a challenge run in the first place in my eyes.

As for the added condition involving evolution, it's not required at all. The challenge ends after the 8th badge, and part of that is because the challenge rules make it pretty hard to beat the Elite Four. The Ribbon system is there to encourage players to finish the game, and the evolution option is there as a courtesy mode for people who want to finish the game without grinding for days. I wouldn't want someone to invest a ton of time into playing a Pokemon game only to hit a wall right at the end and quit, so if you just want to finish the game in a hurry and move to a different challenge, you have the option to evolve and move on. :)

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I've always been an advocate of finding new ways to enjoy the same old games without the use of hacking. Part of what I dislike about Pokemon Rom hacks is that a lot of them make changes to Pokemon's stats or movesets, or make certain Pokemon available at times they shouldn't be. If you're going to do a challenge run of a Gen II game, but pick the romhack that makes the challenge the most convenient, then it sort of defeats the purpose of doing a challenge run in the first place in my eyes.

As for the added condition involving evolution, it's not required at all. The challenge ends after the 8th badge, and part of that is because the challenge rules make it pretty hard to beat the Elite Four. The Ribbon system is there to encourage players to finish the game, and the evolution option is there as a courtesy mode for people who want to finish the game without grinding for days. I wouldn't want someone to invest a ton of time into playing a Pokemon game only to hit a wall right at the end and quit, so if you just want to finish the game in a hurry and move to a different challenge, you have the option to evolve and move on. :)
Regardless of what you are an advocate of, this is a very generalized concept for a challenge and I wouldn't want to have a second thread dedicated to it just so people could play ROM Hacks. It's very exclusionary when it doesn't need to be. There isn't any requirement to make them allowed, it is still your challenge, I just strongly disagree with the idea of limiting what games can be played when a challenge would fit just fine in those games. Plus many people tire of the original games and want something different.

And I guess I missed the part about it ending at the 8th badge.

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Regardless of what you are an advocate of, this is a very generalized concept for a challenge and I wouldn't want to have a second thread dedicated to it just so people could play ROM Hacks. It's very exclusionary when it doesn't need to be. There isn't any requirement to make them allowed, it is still your challenge, I just strongly disagree with the idea of limiting what games can be played when a challenge would fit just fine in those games. Plus many people tire of the original games and want something different.

And I guess I missed the part about it ending at the 8th badge.

I suppose you're right. I'll change it so hacks are allowed, though I still strongly encourage people to play the original releases. Gamefreak has essentially released official rom hacks of their own in the form of Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and the remakes, so there should be enough options already. I guess it is a little unfair though, so rom hacks are now permitted.

Last edited:

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
Username: Sageous
Game of Choice: SoulSilver

No trading is allowed whatsoever? There's just one Pokemon I'd really like to use on my team that isn't available until right around the 8th gym. If an exception can't be made, so be it. Still sounds like fun!

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Username: Sageous
Game of Choice: SoulSilver

No trading is allowed whatsoever? There's just one Pokemon I'd really like to use on my team that isn't available until right around the 8th gym. If an exception can't be made, so be it. Still sounds like fun!

I'd prefer if there was no trading, as I feel it makes the run more authentic without it. Of course if you want to keep going beyond the 8th gym, you could use it a lot after that. : )

I keep changing my team up actually. XD Two of my most useful members I didn't get until blackthorne when I was able to get Smoochum and Teddiursa.

Welcome to the run by the way! I hope you enjoy it. You'll have a lot of neat advantages in SoluSilver I wasn't able to use in Gen II Gold. I suggest you take a HootHoot with Insomnia to Morty. ; )

As for me, I should probably mention I was playing the run quite a bit before the thread got officially posted, so I'm currently training for the Elite 4, which will probably take a very long time. Here's a breakdown of what went on.

- Chikorita and Hoothoot took out Falkner.
- Captured a Wooper and a Mareep.
-Mareep helps out with Bugsy's Scyther by abusing Thunder Wave.
-Mareep learns headbutt, allowing for an awesome thunder wave/headbutt combo. Flinch + Paralyze!
-Wooper is able to tank Miltank's Rollout, and blast it with a bunch of Slam attacks after Mareep paralyzes it.
- I go back and capture a Pineco to abuse Selfdestruct later on. Takes a long timwe to level up, but teaching it Rollout helps a lot.
- Capture two Magmar so I can get a Magby at the daycare.
-Mareep and Hoothoot do most of the work in taking out Morty. I was able to paralyze Gengar which helped a LOT.
- I do a ton of side quests and item gathering before going to Cianwood.
-Mareep and Hoothoot do most of the work in Chuck's Gym.
-Deliver the secretpotion to amphy, andgo fight Jasmine.
-Wooper takes out a Magnemite with Earthquake, and Magby does the rest of the work.
- I do the team rocket stuff in mahogany and fight pryce.
- Pryce is a pretty fun fight where Chikorita, Magby (with thunderpunch) and Mareep do a lot of the fighting.
- I capture a jynx and use my old magmar to get a smoochum.
- While leveling up Smoochum, I capture a Teddiursa.
-After doing the team rocket stuff in goldenrod, I get ready for the fight with claire.

The battle with Claire

Claire was a really intense fight where my whole team had to work together. Pineco finally gets to try out Selfdestruct and knock out the first Dragonair. Mareep paralyzes the next dragonair, and Chikorita does some more damage to it before setting up reflect and getting knocked out. Smoochum knocks out the second dragonair, and does lots of damage to the next one. Magby sets up Sunny Day, and knocks out the last Dragonair. Kingdra comes out and gets hit by a thunderpunch before knocking out Magby. It's now down to Teddiursa vs Kingdra at mostly full health. I take the risk and hope Dynamicpunch hits, and I manage to land it even after Kingdra smokescreens me. Teddiursa blasts Kingdra with powerful strength attacks while it hurts itself in confusion. Claire uses her Hyper Potion, but kingdra keeps hurting itself. Kingdra lands a surf attack, but Teddiursa manages to survive. With one last Strength attack, Kingdra goes down and I win the fight! Best of all, not a single item was used by me. :)

So at this point the challenge is technically over for me, but I'm going all the way to Red on this file. The only problem is I'm going to have to level grind for quite some time before I'm ready for the elite 4. I'll keep the thread updated as I progress, and I'll add the new challengers to the list. Hope to see how it goes for everyone else. :)

Current Team:

chikorita.png
Chigachiga: Lv 36: Moveset: Body Slam, Light Screen, Razor Leaf, Reflect
hoothoot.png
Spookhoot: Lv. 34: Moveset: Take Down, Confusion, Hypnosis, Fly
wooper.png
Gooper: Lv 34: Moveset: Surf, Earthquake, Headbutt, Amnesia
mareep.png
Mareepmeep: Lv 32: Moveset: Headbutt, Light Screen, Thundershock, Thunder Wave
magby.png
Fireworks: Lv 35: Moveset: Ember, Thunderpunch, Sunny Day, Fire Punch
pineco.png
Peanut: Lv 32: Moveset: Rollout, Bide, Selfdestruct, Strength
smoochum.png
Kissypoo: Lv 35: Moveset: Confusion, Sing, Ice Punch, Mean Look
teddiursa.png
Fluffy: Lv 36: Moveset: Strength, Dynamicpunch, Lick, Rest

Last edited:

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
I'd prefer if there was no trading, as I feel it makes the run more authentic without it. Of course if you want to keep going beyond the 8th gym, you could use it a lot after that. : )

That's fine, I'll just use a different Pokemon. It's weird looking at your current Gold team because I was planning on using several of those Pokemon. :P

Last edited:

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
I feel a little bad I did most of my run before the thread was posted, so I think I'll wrap up my Gold run where it is, and sign up for Silver as well. I'll try and take some different Pokemon this time, but I'm keeping Chikorita since it's my favourite of the starters.

Username: Lynda
Game of Choice: Silver

Years
I think that the internal battery of my Silver cartridge has run dry so I will be changing my challenge to Gold instead. As well as this I will also be doing the same challenge on HeartGold

Last edited:

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
I've made a good bit of progress in Soul Silver. :)

SoulSilver Update #1:
Spoiler:

Current Team:

chikorita.gif

Chikorita♀ level 21
-Tackle
-Synthesis
-Magic Leaf
-Reflect

geodude.gif

Geodude♂ level 23
-Rollout
-Magnitude
-Rock Throw
-Selfdestruct

I was wondering if breeding is allowed? I kind of want to use a Magby, but the only way to get one in SoulSilver is to breed a Magmar.

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
I've made a good bit of progress in Soul Silver. :)

SoulSilver Update #1:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
I was actually meaning to add that to the rules, so I'm glad you brought it up. Capturing Pokemon for the sake of breeding 100% allowed, as well as training any Pokemon in the game for the sake of breeding egg moves onto First Form Pokemon. Pokemon that are being used to breed egg moves that don't fit the First Form challenge rules can not be used in trainer battles, but can be leveled up in the wild.

As an example, if you wanted to breed a Totodile to know Ancientpower, you are allowed to capture a Corsola and level it up via random encounters until it learns ancientpower for breeding purposes, however that Corsola cannot be used in trainer/gym/rival/elite/champion battles.

Best of luck, and good choice with Geodude. ; )

Sweet. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Years
UPDATE HeartGold
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Because I'm already on my solo run grind for Gen 2...we're gonna do another thing. This is gonna be brutal for me.

Username: KoboraX
Game of Choice: Omega Ruby (let the pain of getting bodied by Primal Groudon begin)

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Just bought a copy of Crystal, so I'm going to change my run of silver to Crystal. I really want to use a phanpy, since it's super cute in its first form. : 3

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Just bought a copy of Crystal, so I'm going to change my run of silver to Crystal. I really want to use a phanpy, since it's super cute in its first form. : 3

It's gonna be a grind to find one. Phanpy's encounter rate is extremely low. I wish you luck in your hunt.

Speaking of which, it's progression time for Omega Ruby. The late update is mostly because I've been playing a lot of Bravely Second and Fire Emblem Fates.

Sooo, after beginning the game and picking the almighty Mudkip as my starter, I've proceeded to destroy Brenden, a Team Magma Grunt, and Roxanne. I also went and caught myself a Taillow to help handle Grass types. Other than that, nothing too productive done so far.

Team Ruby

258.gif

I Like Me (Mudkip) Lv. 14 @ Nothing
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Tackle, Growl, Water Gun, Mud-Slap

276.gif

Reina (Taillow) Lv. 12 @ Nothing
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Guts
Moves: Peck, Growl, Focus Energy, Quick Attack​

One other important note. To make things harder on myself, I'm only using the Exp. Share for the purposes of grinding. Other than that, it is to be kept off at all times. When I do X/Y once I get the money to buy one of them off the eShop, I will be following the same rule.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
So after thinking I bricked my 2DS by using it in the rain again and beating Maxie's Camerupt with my Mudkip living on 1 HP from a STAB Earth Power, it's time for a progress update. The squad is finally together in Lavaridge, and with the power of Dexnav, I got myself a Voltorb and a Thick Fat Spoink added to the squad. Tabitha the Makuhita and My Humps the Numel were sort of planned catches along the way while my Voltorb was found by complete coincidence.

Please note it may or may not be a bad idea that I picked a team of mons that all evolve by level up...because it means more B button mashing.

Team Ruby

258.gif

I Like Me (Mudkip) Lv. 26 @ Soft Sand
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Rock Throw, Rock Smash, Water Gun, Dig

276.gif

Reina (Taillow) Lv. 26 @ Nothing
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Guts
Moves: Aerial Ace, Steel Wing, Double Team, Quick Attack

296.gif