• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
So this may be a silly question, but...

I edited the female item bag in the Emerald rom (item number 2121) and replaced it with the one from FRLG, but enlarged to account for the additional pockets. I was able to insert the image without repointing, and everything worked great.

Except now I think I want to reorder the way the pockets open, which is as simple as moving things around in the image. But here I have a problem--now if I try to import the image again, unLZ complains that it's too large. So, of course, I use FSF and plug in a new offset--except nothing happens. It doesn't repoint. It doesn't do anything at all.

I'm at a loss at what's wrong. It's not the image itself that's the problem--I can insert it into a fresh ROM just fine. But I have made a lot of tweaks to this one that I'd rather not have to redo, so does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

When you write an image to the rom, with a new pointer, you have to check "Automatically Fix Pointers" or something to that sort. A popup box will say 'Pointer found at XXXXXX. Changed."

Champion Victoria

Puella docta
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2011
When you write an image to the rom, with a new pointer, you have to check "Automatically Fix Pointers" or something to that sort. A popup box will say 'Pointer found at XXXXXX. Changed."

Yeah, I always have it checked. That's the problem: after I've changed an image once, it won't let me change it again. The pop-up doesn't appear at all, even with the little box checked.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jun 1, 2011
Just how much space is available in the american fire red rom?
For example, I'm using the advanced series toolbox and yape to creat a whole new dex. After I finish the dex while repointing all the new sprites, how much room do I have left to add new trainers/maps/etc.

Has anyone run out of free space while making hacks?

Also, is there an easy way to test how your shiny sprites look in game?
I.E. making all the wild pokemon shiny?

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Has anyone run out of free space while making hacks?
I think it's possible... in fact if I remember correctly Liquid Crystal was stopped due the lack of space in ROM...
But since you can expand the ROM you don't need to worry about it =)

Also, is there an easy way to test how your shiny sprites look in game?
I.E. making all the wild pokemon shiny?
Hack Mew's shinyzer ;)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
I have a problem. Everything seems to be working fine, but when I leave Viridian City, right when I reach the north end, my game freezes. Does anyone have an explanation as to why this would happen?

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
I have a problem. Everything seems to be working fine, but when I leave Viridian City, right when I reach the north end, my game freezes. Does anyone have an explanation as to why this would happen?

Uhm, you really need to explain what you've been doing to the map and the scripts in the are... Because otherwise we can't help...

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
Uhm, you really need to explain what you've been doing to the map and the scripts in the are... Because otherwise we can't help...
Sorry, the only thing I changed on the map is removed the old man that teaches you how to catch a pokemon and the script blocking off the gym. I tried removing the level script but it still does it. Everything else is the same.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Make sure that there is no OW with the movements set to "Hidden" anywhere near the freezing point (or anywhere at all, I suppose), then try again.

^ I'm pretty sure that this problem I'm thinking of resets the game, but it might freeze it too, so give it a go, maybe.

Also you might want to move all events and such away from the point where it freezes. If it works from there, you can determine that whatever's causing the freezing is one of the things you moved and you can figure out from there.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
Make sure that there is no OW with the movements set to "Hidden" anywhere near the freezing point (or anywhere at all, I suppose), then try again.

^ I'm pretty sure that this problem I'm thinking of resets the game, but it might freeze it too, so give it a go, maybe.

Also you might want to move all events and such away from the point where it freezes. If it works from there, you can determine that whatever's causing the freezing is one of the things you moved and you can figure out from there.
There isn't anything near the point where it freezes, I deleted a hidden person that was there. When I open up my save state I can pass through it just fine until I start messing around with objects and people in different maps, but when I start from the beginning it freezes there when I don't mess with anything.

Collen

I have returned.
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
In Luner Magic there was something you could press to edit the header, and then you couldn't edit it anymore, so I'm guessing you have to edit the header.

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
I'm just wondering. In a clean FireRed rom, is palette 7 and 12 used in anything? And is it safe to replace them with your own palettes?

Chαmpion Leaf

Red? Who's that?
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2010

What tool would I use to extract sprites?

Depends what sprites you're talking about. You'd use unLZ.gba for Pokemon, trainer, and item sprites. I think you can also use it for trainer backsprites in Ruby. You'd use Tile Molester for backsprites in FireRed. You'd use Overworld Editor for overworld sprites.

At least, that's in my experience.

Now for *my* question.

I've recently discovered how fun it is to try various hacks here, esp. for FireRed (since I love the engine). However, I am picky about onnnne thing: and that is, I like to play as Leaf. Most hacks seem to change the player characters. Now, I already know how to replace her backsprites, OW sprites, and trainer card sprites. I have two questions.

1. How do I replace the sprite of the little head on the town map?

2. More importantly, how can I avoid doing this over and over and over and over again? Backsprites aren't so bad once I get TM behaving, but OW sprites are a pain to replace frame by frame. I figured that since these sprites are all stored in the exact same place, I could just make a patch file for them and automate the process--but I didn't realize that there would be a checksum failure because the patching programs would only use the patch on the original version of the hack I modified. Is there another way to do this?

Also, I have no idea if it's in bad form to edit over someone's hack or not. I will not distribute this, and it's for my own personal use--I just like Leaf--so yeah. I don't mean to insult someone's hard work, and the female player is the only thing I plan on editing in any hacks.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
2. More importantly, how can I avoid doing this over and over and over and over again? Backsprites aren't so bad once I get TM behaving, but OW sprites are a pain to replace frame by frame. I figured that since these sprites are all stored in the exact same place, I could just make a patch file for them and automate the process--but I didn't realize that there would be a checksum failure because the patching programs would only use the patch on the original version of the hack I modified. Is there another way to do this?

Yes. Use LIPS. It doesn't do checksum checks and whatnot. It just patches. Well, it worked when I did it. =|

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Just out of curiosity, how do you rom lock a Rom?

Like others said, you could change the ROM's header, but that wouldn't really lock the ROM at all. Anyone smarter enough could easily change the header back, and it would be magically unlocked.

You can also use a hex editor. It's so much more simpler that way.

Actually, the easiest way is using RHEA. Unless you like to calculate the header checksum by hand.

I'm having a lot of trouble with roaming legendaries and inserting them into Pokemon Emerald...any help here?

Inserting them...? What are you trying to do, exactly?

1. How do I replace the sprite of the little head on the town map?

1. unLZ-GBA.
2. Instead of making patches, a smarter idea could be making a little tool. Even if you might use LIPS, LIPS cannot support expanded ROMs, which could be troublesome at times.
If you don't know how to make tools and/or you don't feel like to, then you could always use a hex editor.

Yes. Use LIPS. It doesn't do checksum checks and whatnot. It just patches.

Which is the very reason some not-so-smart people have trouble patching ROMs, 'cause they're patching the wrong ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back