• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nam

Years
Yes, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were my all time favs of the franchise. But I also like Shadow the Hedgehod, sadly haven't been able to play Sonic '06 yet, Sonic Heroes was almost bad to me (loved the song though), playing Sonic Colors, and aiming for Generation. They say those two last games were pretty good. I hated Sonic Unleashed though. :S

Mass Effect. I saw that in a Gamestop store while I was in New York for vacation but it was too expensive. I'm interested cause it has gotten very good critics but I haven't been able to.

Does anyone plan on making some kind of Sonic RP anytime soon?

I made one, I'm actually thinking about opening up a few more spots on each side once we finish what's going on right now.

Please VM me if you come to that. I haven't felt this desperate since that time I wanted to play pokemon but I couldn't because I got bored of the games and lost it. ><" Now I keep all my pokemon games even if I get bored cause I know I'll get a nostalgic attack someday and want to play it.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
Pre-existing characters are something I would like to experiment with sometimes. Though writing sample becomes the only way of judging someone's skill, that might not be a bad thing either - and it allows people to get a better understanding of what the world is supposed to be all about, as well as gives the author a sense of fulfillment when he sees his characters doing things on their own.

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
@Rokasu: Can I join your retro-corner? I have MegaMan 2...

@Nam: Yeah, you probably shouldn't play Sonic '06. That game is a pure piece of s***. The plot is bad and poorly written in some places, the game has several glitches and bugs that effs up the gameplay (I'm looking at you Silver the Hedgehog's bossfight), plus it has long and tedious loading screens between every new part of an area.

Do yourself a favour and don't play this game. It's like MegaMan X6.

Pre-exsisting characters? Oh gee, truth to be told, I'm a bit afraid of that. I'm always worried that I might eff up the character if I take control of them, that's why I try to stay away from that as often as possible.

Nam

Years
@Nam: Yeah, you probably shouldn't play Sonic '06. That game is a pure piece of s***. The plot is bad and poorly written in some places, the game has several glitches and bugs that effs up the gameplay (I'm looking at you Silver the Hedgehog's bossfight), plus it has long and tedious loading screens between every new part of an area.

Do yourself a favour and don't play this game. It's like MegaMan X6.

Oh god... why you have to remind me?...

Has anyone considered a Megaman RP?

O>O

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
-.- I don't know what topics we're talking about anymore... I'm just gonna wing it.

I guess Sonic '06 may have been rushed. But don't diss at Silver! He's awesome & a Psychic! Now, I don't care if you people don't like Sonic Heroes. I like the theme song & the gameplay, so deal with it.

New topic!

Has there been an RP of Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

EDIT: & yes, Navi is annoying. But Link is righteous!

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
-.- I don't know what topics we're talking about anymore... I'm just gonna wing it.

I guess Sonic '06 may have been rushed. But don't diss at Silver! He's awesome & a Psychic! Now, I don't care if you people don't like Sonic Heroes. I like the theme song & the gameplay, so deal with it.

New topic!

Hold on a second, Diamond; Nam just started a new topic in the previous post.

But in response to the Megaman RP, I'd be interested if it were X or Zero, since those both are pretty heavily story based and are great settings for RPs.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Hold on a second, Diamond; Nam just started a new topic in the previous post.

But in response to the Megaman RP, I'd be interested if it were X or Zero, since those both are pretty heavily story based and are great settings for RPs.

-.- Thanks... P.S. I edited my post before you commented!

Last edited:

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
@ShinyDiamond: Well, I'm not really dissing Silver himself. Don't get me wrong, he's a cool dude. I'm just dissing his bossfight which is so glitched that you can even get shot out of the planet's freaking atmosphere and die.

Besides, I said that Sonic Heroes was a fine game. I didn't say that I hated it, it's just that a lot of fans do.

There, that should correct all misunderstandings!

@Nam: OH. MY. GAWD. MegaMan RP, f*** yeah! I would also like to see it happen during the X and Zero storyline, that would be freaking baws. It could probably be done as you play as a Maverick hunter and get missions from the captain of the division you're in (maybe X or someone else). Such as, destroy a Maverick uprising etc, etc. Or you could play as a Maverick under the control of Sigma and do different nefarious deeds!

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Nam: ...That depends on whether you're talking about Megaman, a game series involving super fighting robots, or Battle Network, a completely unrelated game series that just happens to steal names and designs from Megaman. Because I'm only interested in the former. You see on top of being a major Pokemon dork I'm also a Megaman dork. I'd feel compelled to join a Megaman RP of any sort really. However, that doesn't mean I'm interested in Battle Network. After all, they have nothing in common, and shouldn't be used interchangeably as often as they are. >-> /angst

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
@Nam: ...That depends on whether you're talking about Megaman, a game series involving super fighting robots, or Battle Network, a completely unrelated game series that just happens to steal names and designs from Megaman. Because I'm only interested in the former. You see on top of being a major Pokemon dork I'm also a Megaman dork. I'd feel compelled to join a Megaman RP of any sort really. However, that doesn't mean I'm interested in Battle Network. After all, they have nothing in common, and shouldn't be used interchangeably as often as they are. >-> /angst

Err... What's "Battle Network"? Never heard of it in my life.

I might join a MegaManRP, I haven't played a lot of the games but I do know the whole basic concept of it. So I'd need a refresher course on the canon before diving in.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Err... What's "Battle Network"? Never heard of it in my life.

I might join a MegaManRP, I haven't played a lot of the games but I do know the whole basic concept of it. So I'd need a refresher course on the canon before diving in.
Megaman Battle Network (Also known as Megaman.EXE in Japan) is a GBA sideseries of Megaman that takes place in an alternate universe where the "Digital Revolution" has taken over (it still contains most of the original Megaman cast, though they are alternate forms of themselves, most of them return in one way or another). You play as Lan (whose name is a not so subtle pun, but it's pretty much that way with almost everybody's name) who has a Net Navi (an AI that does everything digital for you) names Megaman.EXE. Lan is faced with saving the world in six different installments via RPG based combat. The games are pretty fun, 5 and 6 being my favorite, but I hear 4 (or 3) is the best. It's succeeded by the not-so-great "Starforce" series, which I, personally (or really most others, especially Megaman Battle Network fans) wouldn't recommend, though I hear that 3 is actually good. Megaman.EXE would actually be a great source to RP, it has about as much potential as an X or Zero RP, and I'd certainly be interested.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Okay, so... What's the difference with MegaMan?
In Battle Network, he's a Net Navi, an AI that helps Lan, the protagonist. He's the one who does all of the fighting (though in 5 you could technically say that they both do). The difference being that in the main series he's a robot created by Dr.Light, in Battle Network he's a Navi who was created by Lan's father.

Dawn

Years
@Machomuu: Stop spreading misinformation.

@Zerin: It has about as much in common with Megaman as Final Fantasy. Here, let me list the actual things they have in common, which is much easier than listing the things they don't have in common because that list is virtually infinite.

The designs for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
The names for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
Some powers of some characters are very vague references to Megaman characters.

However the characters themselves are not really very faithful to the originals at all, and these references are superficial at best. The games don't have much more in common. It is not a side series and is in fact it's own separate universe and canonity with absolutely no relation to the original. The original characters do not 'return', and in fact are only shallow references. As of right now it's a relative mystery why they named the series Megaman at all... perhaps laziness.

It resembles a reboot in nature, except that Megaman hasn't ended and in fact has a bit further to go before the main story even ends.

Dawn

Years
@Zerin: I prefer the term 'original' Megaman. But well... that's a really long story. There's like, almost 40 games now?

The classic games detail what is commonly referred to as the Wily Wars--or rather, Megaman's war against Doctor Wily. I could go on and on explaining exactly why there's a war and exactly what goes down in each game, but that would take up a copious ammount of space in this post just to cover the first 17 games, which is the classic series. (Megaman 1-10 and Megaman I-V, a seperate five games for the gameboy, and Megaman & Bass 1 and 2.) That isn't even counting the spinoffs such as Megaman Soccer >>

Basically? Doctor Wily builds super robots that megaman, another super robot, has to go murderify to stop Wily from taking over the world and stuff. Each game has twists, and Doctor Wily has his reasons for being a lunatic.

Megaman X the sequel series. Doctor Light invents X, a robot so advanced he is no longer just a robot but an android capable of free thought, and seals him away for what ends up being at least a century to make sure he doesn't malfunction and kill everyone. Over nine thousand androids (named reploids) are built based off X's technology, however Doctor Wily built an android named Zero who contained a highly contagious virus that causes most reploids to go maverick, a term used to vaguely describe reploids that become dangerous to society. The games typically detail X and Zero (Zero having been more or less cured of his own virus somehow so that he is now a good guy) murderifying a bunch of reploids and eventually murdering Sigma, a particularly persistent reploid bent on establishing reploid dominance over humans under the guise of unlocking limitless potential for reploids through 'evolution'. In a couple of games Sigma is not the ultimate antagonist however.

Megaman Zero is a sequel series to Megaman X. Megaman Zero takes place quite a time after Megaman X, after a war that happens outside of the games called the elf wars. It details Zero's 'ressurection' from stasis and how he liberates a broken world from a corrupt utopia called Neo Arcadia which is run by a copy of X that has gone maverick. Later in the series a lunatic named Dr. Weil enters the picture, assumes control of Neo Arcadia, and basically tries to murderify /everything/. The original X is only present in Megaman Zero in the form of a ghost, technically called a cyber-elf as far as game lore goes.

Megaman ZX is the latest Megaman series, and details quite a few different protagonists including the first ever non-support female protagonists. The protagonists, which have so far varied each game use 'biometals', strange hunks of metal that allow then to transform and game the armor and abilities of the reploid said metal is based on (Model X bestows the powers of X and Model Z bestows the power of Zero for instance.). They are generally trying to stop Model W, a unique 'biometal' based off Dr. Weil that corrupts people and feeds off negative emotions.

Megaman Legends takes place thousands of years after the rest of the series, though the last game in the series (Megaman Legends 2) was made quite some time ago, and I honestly don't know a great deal about this particular series as I'm not a sony fan and Megaman Legends 2 is not available on any Nintendo console or the PC. I do know that it details a man named Megaman Volnutt however, and that he resembles X for reasons that are unclear to me.

This was all the extremely abridged version of what Megaman is 'about'. To properly detail the entire series would...take hilarious amounts of time and text. xD

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@Machomuu: Stop spreading misinformation.

@Zerin: It has about as much in common with Megaman as Final Fantasy. Here, let me list the actual things they have in common, which is much easier than listing the things they don't have in common because that list is virtually infinite.

The designs for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
The names for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
Some powers of some characters are very vague references to Megaman characters.

However the characters themselves are not really very faithful to the originals at all, and these references are superficial at best. The games don't have much more in common. It is not a side series and is in fact it's own separate universe and canonity with absolutely no relation to the original. The original characters do not 'return', and in fact are only shallow references. As of right now it's a relative mystery why they named the series Megaman at all... perhaps laziness.

It resembles a reboot in nature, except that Megaman hasn't ended and in fact has a bit further to go before the main story even ends.
Look it up, it takes place in an alternate universes and the characters are different versions of their "Megaman" selves (that's how the multiverse works). In the same sense, the characters from the Mainline games are alternate versions of the BN characters. I said "Side series" because it's not the mainline Megaman series(or the "Real Megaman", as Zerin puts it, though in truth there is no specific "Real Megaman, so long as they exist in some specific canon). Yes, it is a separate series, but without the original Megaman it certainly wouldn't exist.

Here's a summary of what Battle Network is:
Spoiler:

The mainline Megaman series is pretty generic in terms of story (but by no means bad), or at least the base setup is. It's about a man named Dr.Light, this scientist creates several robots (originally Rock (Megaman or Rockman), Roll, and the dog and bird I can't remember the names of) and he uses them to combat the evil Dr.Wily. As the games go on, however, the story does thicken, though never to the level of its SNES and GBA younger brothers. X and Zero are much more story-centric, but someone else should probably go into those, I've only beaten Zero 1.

Last edited:

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
That clarifies A LOT, thanks. I'd honestly say either of those would make good RPs.

Look it up, it takes place in an alternate universes and the characters are different versions of their "Megaman" selves (that's how the multiverse works). In the same sense, the characters from the Mainline games are alternate versions of the BN characters. I said "Side series" because it's not the mainline Megaman series(or the "Real Megaman", as Zerin puts it, though in truth there is no specific "Real Megaman, so long as they exist in some specific canon). Yes, it is a separate series, but without the original Megaman it certainly wouldn't exist.

The mainline Megaman series is pretty generic in terms of story (but by no means bad), or at least the base setup is. It's about a man named Dr.Light, this scientist creates several robots (originally Rock (Megaman or Rockman), Roll, and the dog and bird I can't remember the names of) and he uses them to combat the evil Dr.Wily. As the games go on, however, the story does thicken, though never to the level of its SNES and GBA younger brothers. X and Zero are much more story-centric, but someone else should probably go into those, I've only beaten Zero 1.

I missed this whole series, but I think I've played a Megaman game AND a BattleNet game, and both seemed fun to me, in different play styles.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
That clarifies A LOT, thanks. I'd honestly say either of those would make good RPs.

I missed this whole series, but I think I've played a Megaman game AND a BattleNet game, and both seemed fun to me, in different play styles.
Yeah, that's the beauty of the Megaman games, they stretch to different genres without feeling like watered down rehashes of other games of the same genre and end up appealing to several crowds. I can certainly have seen them simply just making a generic turn-based Megaman RPG and stretching it out over several games, but BN is quite unique in its own rite.

Last edited:

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Nice info about Megaman. How about Starforce? I have Megaman Starforce 3: Red Joker.

-___- I'm bringing this up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back