• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

Zagan

King of Demons
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 20, 2015
For offline play, the only pokemon I am having troubles with are the element monkys :( Swoobat was cool in game, but online >.< meh :P

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
Stunfisk. That is all. He is honestly just terrible in every possible way I can think of , besides being the most derpiest pokemon yet.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
I had high hopes for the Purrloin, but the movepool and overall bad stats proved too weak to ever do anything impressive with one. :(

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
the starters (especially serperior) and the monkey trios. just...sigh

Years
For me, Reshiram. By the time I got there, my team was too high level, I tried it out on run 2, but evenwhen it got 100lvl Cynthia's Garchomp made it sweep the floor. Al my pokemon were murdered my that massacerer Cynthia, Volcarona sweeped her though. I was also disppointed with Panpour and Simipour, mainly because they suck with my team.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I've become disappointed with my Emboar. This was while forming my E4 team; its stats are way too low. I am omitting it from the E4 battles as the type isn't perfectly suited for any of them (though I could give it a Fighting TM move perhaps), and will likely take Volcarona into the Champion's room if I need Fire; I haven't studied his team yet and won't until I'm ready to challenge.

Cyclone

WolfricX

Water-Typer Master.
Years
The most disappointing was a lv65 Madibuzz.

I had been on GTSN and traded a really strong and fast level 41 Zebstrika for it, thinking its would be really good. It was possibly the weakest and most disappointing pokemon I have used through all three series I have played.

Nuf said......

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
Purrloin, I was looking forward to have it in my team before the games were released but I hate it

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
Years
Serperior was a big let down for me because of it's terrible move pool and mediocre offensive stats. I understand it's supposed to be a defensive minded Pokemon but it lacks the moves to back that up.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I hate to say it, but Swoobat. He's just the cutest thing, and I was crazy enough to take him to the E4, even though Marshal's team had some Rock moves, I though he was fast enough to hit first and dodge them. Sadly, he wasn't. Nonetheless, he's still one of my favorites, and nowadays he flies me around post-E4 Unova.

Also, Panpour. I needed a Water-type though, so he was still on the team, but I replaced him with Tympole as soon as I had the chance.

rubin

czytała Krystyna Czubówna
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
Gigalith was probably the worst. While it is unarguably a very good looking Pokemon, it was just too slow to accomplish much during my playthrough. Having to constantly rely on Quick Claw hax got extremely tiring, so I replaced him with Beartic, which performed much better.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
I honestly found timburr and the evolutions after to be a let down. It was a good poke to have in the beginning but it slowly got worse when you progressed through the game.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Carracosta. Sturdy is a lifesaver, but other than that, it's slow and even after a Shell Smash boost it doesn't outspeed anything...

Funny that people had problems with Emboar. It's slow, but powerful, and Hammer Arm hits very hard.

Mandibuzz with Nasty Plot was fun to use and scored a few surprise kills in my playthrough. It's also very durable.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
In the 'useless pokemon-o-meter', Gen 5 ranks up with Gen 3 for introducing the most useful Pokemon. Granted there a few awful ones like every generation, but we aren't swimming in them like Gen 4.

Cyrognal is a decent special wall, however it's defence cripples it against all physical attacks. Plus, the Ice typing gives all the weaknesses towards the most common physical attackers.

Liepard is just a poor man's Mightyena, a already rarely used Pokemon. It's about as frail as toilet paper.

The simi pokemon are awful too, and are outclassed by almost all of their rivals. Horrible designs as well.

The worst of all of them is Archeops. Defeatist basically makes a great looking attacker turn into a hit and run machine, plus it's awful defences basically makes it impossible to do anything to fast and powerful opponents (very common in-game).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
In the 'useless pokemon-o-meter', Gen 5 ranks up with Gen 3 for introducing the most useful Pokemon. Granted there a few awful ones like every generation, but we aren't swimming in them like Gen 4.

They look useful because they're all you can use. In the metagame, however, you'll find most of them lurking in NU with the exception of obviously broken Pokémon like Excadrill.

It's a bit of a shame, really, because it's not hard to make a team in Gen V with what you're given.

rubin

czytała Krystyna Czubówna
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
The worst of all of them is Archeops. Defeatist basically makes a great looking attacker turn into a hit and run machine, plus it's awful defences basically makes it impossible to do anything to fast and powerful opponents (very common in-game).

Unless you're playing at at least 10 level disadvantage, it's nearly impossible to not kill everything in your path with the combo of itemless Acrobatics and Rock Slide. Even if for some reason the opponent will live the onslaught and activate your Defeatist, it's not like you're in Wi-Fi battle, the Potions are here at your disposal.

The only thing fast and powerful enough to kill Archeops in-game before it tries to attack is Zebstrika IIRC. Seeing as the difference in Base Speed is a measly 6 points, it will be impossible for you to not outspeed the zebra and defeat it with, say, Dig. (unless you're at enourmous level disadvantage or rolled some terrible nature and IVs)

But, different strokes for different folks. I personally had a lot of troubles playing with Darumaka, which is supposed to be one of the best in-game Pokemon in BW (ended up boxing the thing lol), so in some way I can understand your view of Archeops.

They look useful because they're all you can use. In the metagame, however, you'll find most of them lurking in NU with the exception of obviously broken Pokémon like Excadrill.

It's a bit of a shame, really, because it's not hard to make a team in Gen V with what you're given.
So? If I've read his post correctly all he talked about was in-game, so his point is very much valid.

Jiggly Jello

DJ Squiggles
Years
I personally can't stand Liepard. I kept him around because he was a minority Pokemon for quite some time. I ditched it when Simisage learned Bite. It has been good enough for me thus far. I've had a much easier time having Simisage around and besides, I've always been partial to the monkeys...possibly because of the flying purple ones living in my head!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

That's just why NU is better.

Competitively they're not that disappointing anyway. Even though many are in NU, Pokemon such as Sawk can be one of the more annoying Pokemon to face and within the tiers theyre in... They're probably as good as or better than others. In-game they're probably worse anyway because you don't use as many creative sets as you could on a simulator.

Back