• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Bobby and Jane are battling in a forest with tall (up to their knees) grass. Bobby has a female Dragonite, and Jane has a male Ninetales. Bobby's next move is a Hyper Beam; Jane's, a Flamethrower. There should be conversation, with Bobby acting confident and Jane being snarky.

Uhh before I do this... what does snarky mean?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
Well, I'm not going to write a whole one-shot, but this is what I've got:

The hyper beam hissed through the grass, slender blades puffing to ash as the column of white energy ripped through them. Ninetales was ready, crouched and alert, and a kick of his hind legs had him bounding out of the way of the attack, fire welling from his jaws and billowing through the air towards the dragonite that had fired the attack. Jane squinted and shielded her face with an arm as the energy attack whined past to her left, striking a tree trunk with a vicious crunch and eliciting a rain of leaves and twigs as the huge oak shuddered with the impact. The beam vanished as Dragonite took the flamethrower full in the chest, though the hulking orange dragon seemed more annoyed than actually hurt by the attack. The fire splashed off the tough scales on his stomach as easily as water.

"Come on, Jane, even you know that fire's not going to work in this fight," Bobby called across the field. "Let's have a water pulse, Dragonite."

The dragon snorted, spitting a ball of water at her opponent. Ninetales had already faded back into the grass, though, using his smaller stature to his advantage. The water pulse burst harmlessly, flattening a small area of grass but doing nothing to harm its intended target. Ninetales was on the move, nothing but the shushing of the grass marking his position as he slunk through it, low to the ground. Dragonite spat another water pulse into the grass, but once again, Ninetales was gone when the attack struck.

"Get in close and use iron tail," Jane said, then shuddered, glaring down into the grass in front of her. The unusually thick growth, up to her waist, was perfect for concealing Ninetales as he circled his chubby foe, but it certainly did have its disadvantages. The long blades tickled her legs and her bare stomach--yes, maybe her mother had been right about short shorts and a midriff-bearing top not being the best adventuring gear ever designed, but Jane wore what she wanted. Every time she moved, it felt like little creatures were crawling all over her skin. Of course, Bobby wasn't similarly bothered, being the poster child of unreasonably baggy clothing as he was. His shirt probably stopped somewhere around his knees, though of course Jane couldn't see thanks to the grass.

Jane blinked, a choking noise catching her attention. To her horror, she found Ninetales hanging by her neck from Dragonite's paw, the dragon's stubby claws buried deep in the fire type's luxuriant ruff. The scales down Dragonite's side were smashed and partially torn away, indicating that the iron tail had been a success, but the attack had also given Dragonite the perfect chance to strike. Ninetales scrabbled at Dragonite's beefy arm with his forepaws, but his claws only rasped off the dragon's tough scales, and the frantic kicks of his hind legs had about as much effect. Jane was forced to scurry out of the way as Dragonite hurled her partner right at her, Ninetales crashing back to earth in an undignified heap.

"Daydreaming, Jane?" Bobby said. "I expected better. You really are worthless, aren't you?"

"Says the boy who bought a magikarp off a traveling salesman because he thought it was a rare and mystical pokémon," Jane drawled, playing for time while Ninetales pulled himself together, shaking dirt from his creamy fur as he got back to his feet. Much though she hated to admit it, Bobby's dragonite was too strong to take head-on. Time for a little deception, then. "Confuse ray, ninetales."

"Safeguard!" was the hurried countercommand, but Ninetales had already flared his flowing tails, their tips glowing with golden light. Dragonite raised her paws, green energy bubbling out from her palms and forming a film in the air before her face. Her eyes were on her opponent, though, and on the gleaming lights swaying through the air as Ninetales waved his tails back and forth. In a trance, she lowered her paws again, the green light fizzling out as she watched the hypnotic dance of Ninetales' tales. Oblivious to her trainer's angry howls, she gave in to Ninetales' spell and suddenly found her vision clouded by thousands of tiny stars, winking and dancing as they flitted in and out of view.

Dragonite growled, waving a paw in front of her face. The glimmers still eddied around her vision, though, swirling more frantically than ever. "Now, confuse her with faint attack!" Jane said, and Ninetales took off, shooting through the grass with unnatural speed. A shadowy blur, he leapt from the grass and slammed into Dragonite's side, then bounded away and began circling again as Dragonite staggered and let out an angry roar. Her movements were sluggish and uncoordinated, her antennae twitching as though she hoped to pick up some sign of her opponent even as her vision was clouded by the confuse ray.

"Keep it up, Ninetales," Jane said, her voice as calm as ever.

"You think you've got the upper hand, huh?" Bobby asked, even as Ninetales slammed into Dragonite's back and darted away before the confused dragon could retaliate. "Try this on for size. Dragonite, outrage!"

"Get out of there!" Jane yelled, but her voice was drowned out by Dragonite's wild howl. Blue and green flames exploded off the dragon's scales, cloaking her in a veil of dragonfire even as she began to thrash and strike wildly at the air. Ninetales, coming in close for another faint attack, took a tail to the side and was hurled across the arena and into a tree. Dragonite stormed around the arena in a blind rage as Ninetales slid to the ground, his dark aura gone and his breathing harsh. "Move, move!" Jane yelled as Dragonite blundered closer to him, throwing sheets of unnatural fire in all directions. The dragon flames didn't ignite the grass that covered the arena, but neither was Ninetales protected against them as he was against ordinary fire. He raised his head as the burning dragon raged nearer and got shakily to his feet, limping away from the tree.

He couldn't take another hit from outrage, Jane thought grimly, and he was in no condition to dodge now. Dragonite bore down on him in senseless rage, flailing claws cutting a deep gash in the bark of the tree Ninetales had just left. She had to stop Dragonite from getting in another direct hit. "Ninetales, stand your ground and roar."

There was a moment of hesitation--Dragonite had turned and started floundering in Ninetales' direction again. Come on, come on... Jane thought, fists clenched. You can do it...

Ninetales raised his head, flaring his tails to their fullest, most impressive height. Dragonite couldn't see, blinded by raging dragon energy, but she could certainly hear. A huge roar escaped the fox's throat, cutting through even Dragonite's fevered howling. A moment of dead silence followed the noise, Dragonite stumbling to a halt, her fiery aura flickering and starting to falter. The confused pokémon swayed, head turning to and fro as she tried to locate the source of the noise through power-clouded eyes.

"Just keep roaring," Jane commanded, pressing her hands over her ears.

Another shattering roar split the air, and now Dragonite actually staggered back. Bobby, who had gotten a lot more of the noise than Jane, was bent down, eyes closed to slits and palms ground into his ears. Dragonite raised her paws, too, but they didn't do much to block out another roar. The big dragon's eyes were wide and rolling back and forth around the arena, still clouded by the confuse ray, and her breathing came in whuffing gasps of distress.

"Dragonite! Dragonite, listen to me!" Bobby yelled, but more roaring blocked out his words and drove Dragonite deeper into panic.

"Now run at her and roar one more time!" Jane yelled, unable to contain her excitement. Oh, how the tables had turned.

Dragonite had had enough. The sight of an indistinct cream-colored blur rushing straight at her, emitting an incredible blast of noise as it came, was enough to set her to flight. Spreading her dainty wings, the dragon kicked off in a surprisingly graceful motion, soaring up and out of Ninetales' reach.

She easily smashed through the lower branches in her way, but as she continued up into the dense canopy none too far overhead, limbs reached out from all sides to ensnare her, cutting thin lines of pain down her orange body and tugging at her limbs. Clawing branches tore into the membranes of her small, delicate wings and she screamed, twisting and thrashing in blind desperation, tearing limbs off of trees but only entangling herself more hopelessly.

"Now, Ninetales! Finish her off with heat wave!"

"Stop, Dragonite! Just calm down and get yourself out of there!"

Ninetales tipped back his head, exhaling a searing wave of breath. Superheated air rushed up to surround dragonite, the leaves around her flashing into ash almost instantly. The dragon was caught in a curtain of flames as Ninetales poured on more and more heat, branches above Dragonite catching fire and showering her with flaming twigs. The dragon wailed and struggled; everything was burning, burning, even the air she gasped into her tired lungs. She choked and flailed, tears flashing to steam as they leaked from beneath her closed eyelids--and then it was all gone, vanishing in a flare of cold red light.

Bobby clipped the pokéball back onto the belt at his waist, grimacing as he ran his fingers along its companions. "How do you like that, Mr. Dratini Starter?" Jane asked, not bothering to contain the broad grin stretching across her face. Ninetales broke off his attack and turned cool eyes on Bobby, flaming leaves raining down around him and starting small fires in the tall grass.

The potential for catastrophic forest fire didn't appear to bother Bobby; he pulled another pokéball off his belt and smirked. "Not bad, Jane, not bad. It's going to take more than cheap tricks to get past this guy, though. Let's go, Gyarados!"

Hardly a masterpiece or a particularly high-octane battle, but I hope it helps.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Bobby and Jane are battling in a forest with tall (up to their knees) grass. Bobby has a female Dragonite, and Jane has a male Ninetales. Bobby's next move is a Hyper Beam; Jane's, a Flamethrower. There should be conversation, with Bobby acting confident and Jane being snarky.
[FONT=&quot]

"Dragonite, use Hyper Beam!" Bobby yelled with a cocky heroic tone as he pointed in Ninetale's direction. Bobby was around the age of thirteen. He sported a blue polo and black jeans. He was about five feet in height and had jelled and spiky blonde hair. He was pretty skinny and always wore big rectangular glasses.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Dragonite opened its mouth slightly and a small orb of yellow light appeared at the opening. The orb burst into an intense ray of yellow light shooting towards Ninetales. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "Ninetales, dodge it and use Flamethrower!" Jane yelled quickly as the ray fired from Dragonite's mouth. Jane looked to be about ten and had a long silver dress on that made her look like she was going to a party. She had silky brown hair and a very angry look on her face. She was only four foot five and stammering around like a pissed off chick with only five dollars and an entire mall to explore.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Ninetales jumps out of the way and the Hyper Beam shoots past it and Jane. The grass underneath the ray parted in two directions from the intensity of the attack. Ninetales opened its mouth and a flame came flowing out towards Dragonite. Dragonite, unable to move from his previous attack, was impacted by the flame but seemed relatively unharmed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "Wow I'm worried now! You're not very smart are you? Fire attacks are nearly useless against dragon types!" Bobby smirked. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "Come on Ninetales! What have we been training for?! Pump up the power!" Jane whined angrily to her Pokémon. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Ninetales opened its mouth wider and an even bigger streak of fire came flowing out. However, Dragonite still seemed unfazed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "I'd say Dragonite is ready now! Alright buddy, use Aqua Tail!" Bobby yelled joyously.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Dragonite flew over the flowing fire which continued to flow towards the trees and set them on fire. Dragonite's tail suddenly became surrounded by water and she spun around and smashed Ninetales with her tail. Ninetales was knocked across the ground and smashed into a tree. Jane ran over to him and knelt down. Ninetales was completely unconscious.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "You big meanie! You didn't have to be so hard on my poor Ninetales." Jane pouted. Bobby returned Dragonite to her Pokéball and ran over to Jane.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "I'm sorry but it isn't my fault your Ninetales is that weak!" Bobby teased.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "Why I oughta! You men and your football games and your laziness and…"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Bobby started to wonder what was for dinner as Jane rambled on about nothing. Jane finally slapped Bobby to get his attention only to have him realize that he was not smelling the grilled chicken he hoped his mother was making, but the burning of the trees around him. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "The forest is on fire!!!" Bobby screamed like a little girl as he started to run away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "Oh my gosh! It is!" Jane screamed as well just now realizing this. She returned her Ninetales and ran away as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I lone Ursaring walked over to the raging fire with a giant bucket of water and poured it on the massive fire putting it out immediately. He then turned in the direction in which the kids ran and cupped his hands at his mouth.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] "ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES!" [/FONT]

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
In general, how long (in chapters and pages) are your fan fictions?
My chapters are very varied. The shortest I do are just a few pages, while my longest chapters lean towards thirty.

As for fics, The Quest for the Legends will probably end up at something between seventy and eighty chapters at the very least, while the outline I have for Morphic has it concluding with chapter fourteen.

Might do that one-shot battle thing later if I get around to it.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Oh, hai thar people! So I utterly failed in getting TFC chap 29 done before classes started again last Monday, damn. I want to get to the rewrite already! I hate this current incarnation now after working on it last night, the style sucks, the first person POV sucks, it all sucks! Why I decided to go first person I have no idea... Being limited to only one character a time when I knew I'd have so many characters around that are just as important was a stupid decision.

...This means I'm going to have to rewrite chapter 1 again (which I already had rewritten) and what I have of the chapter 2 rewrite though, as I did those in first person as well. Oh well...

Usually anywhere from 15-25 pages for chapters, typically on the higher end. For my super secretive not appropriate for this place writing, it tends to be much shorter, around 7 pages. That's likely because those have very little plot to them.

I have no idea how long a whole fic is for me because I've never completed one, but TFC is up to 28 and only about halfway done. And I'm going to restart the whole thing with a rewrite now! I'm struggling to finish 29 due to the unrefined style I used in it, so it's sort of needed...

Do you think much about giving your characters starsigns? If so, which ones are they born under?
...Nope

How often do people use either Latias or Latios used in fics?
...Never

If you could have a soundtrack for your fan fic(s), what would be on it?
I don't think I'll ever be able to settle on one for TFC, but TRINITY has proven pretty easy to develop thus far. Of course I'll probably add more as the story continues, but here's what I have so far:

[Opening Theme - Phase 1] Player | Origa (Ghost in the Shell SAC: Solid State Society)
[Opening Theme - Phase 2] Cyber Bird | Gabriela Robin (Ghost in the Shell SAC: Solid State Society)
[Ending Theme] Living Inside the Shell | Steve Conte (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
[Trailer] 9 Ghosts I | Nine Inch Nails

[Cybernet Underground] 7 Ghosts I | Nine Inch Nails
[Cybernetic Labs] Secret Project (.hack)
[CYPHER – Upper Tower] Redsun Plaza – Ambient | Steve Foxon (Redsun 2020)
[CYPHER City Streets] Cyber-Slum (.hack)

[Assault Drone Encounter] Run Rabbit Junk (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex)
[ARMS Assault] Train Search (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex)
[Cybernet Combat] The Blue Monday E'r'ectrical Parade (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

[Other, Like a Music Video or Something] Broken Glass | Buckcherry

Notice the abundance of Ghost in the Shell music on there. It just fits... Probably because TRINITY as a whole was inspired by GitS...

How much of your own characteristics and habits do you put in your characters, most importantly the protagonist(s)? How so?
Pretty much everything about me is split among all my characters. Even my sadism of all things shows up in TFC among some of the villains... The main character of TFC, Shrike Flamestar, of course inherits the most about me. Even the Pokemon in TFC tend to be based off me, with Zethro inheriting my laziness and gluttony, Jehiel my wrath (or at least imaginary wrath. I'm not that wrathful in real life as I try not to be thrown in jail...), Ramiel my loyalty (but it's amplified in him)... Rayne and Matariel don't inherit much huge stuff from me though, but rather traits I wish I had. Yes, she's basically a Mary Sue in the current version. I'm working on that...

In TRINITY, Tashima has my stubbornness for sure, as well as how I like seeking the truth and all. He also has my whole passion for technology, greatly amplified of course. Havoc again has my loyalty, as well as some other small details.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'm definitely going to write my version of that thing of Xanthine's, but before I do, I want to know how long it should be. Do you want just a short scene or something a bit longer? What shall it be? And would you like fries with that?

Basically, go for as long as you'd like until you think you've gotten your point across. Or until we make every browser that comes onto the next couple of pages melt in agony. Whichever comes first.

Are we free to create some dialogue (to show the character's expressions)?

Absolutely. In fact, I encourage it and was sort of hoping that it'd happen.

How is that battle going so far (ie.: who is winning)?

You can decide, really, although if it makes it easier, the battle just started.

Can I get a cookie? With chips?

When you roll over and play dead. XD

Seriously, though, thanks to those who replied so far. I'm right now looking hard at both of them to see what I can get from them. (I don't think I can come to a conclusion right now since I've pretty much just read over them the first time, but I think I'm getting what you're trying to say. And yes, this is definitely helping. It's a lot easier for me to see an example and figure out how to do things from there, so thanks so much for taking the time to do this.)

Manaphyman

Sevii Trainer
Years

Heh...it depends. One chapter I had was 35 pages long, but I have yet to match that again. Most of my chapters are 10 pages long...15 at most and 9 at the least. I feel like 10 pages is enough for a chapter, and I can cram in all the descrpition and such that belongs in it within that 'limit' so to speak.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

It depends on the fic, really. I'm writing the twenty-fourth chapter of the Eon Chronicles right now, and it's about 75 or 80 pages long so far. Mastermind, on the other hand, is usually about three pages per chapter, and I'm writing chapter three (it's a lot shorter than the E.C.).

EDIT: Good lord, I meant all of the E.C. is 75-80 pages, not just chapter 24.

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020

As I'm typing Chapter 3, it's at around 5-6 pages. Yeah, really short for now... XD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

In terms of pages, my one-shots tend to be around five pages long -- rarely more than that. (Twenty-three is my absolute ceiling right now. Bloom was seriously a ***** to write.) However, my serials average at about twelve pages (AEM) and nineteen or twenty (MKD) per chapter.

In terms of chapters, I really don't know. My past serials that I finished back in 2004/5 were ten chapters long, simply because I kept getting tired of writing them. AEM has no set number of chapters, and obviously, MKD's outdone my other works by two chapters but is looking like it might hit the climax and start moving towards an ending soon.

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Tried checking the page numbers by a useful invention called Microsoft Word 2003-2008?

TO anyone who reads this, I'm making it more clear. *sigh* By highlighting words, you can see their word amount, line amount, paragraph amount, and so on. Page amount is in there as well.

Last edited:

Editman

Pokemon Collector
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
Do your fan fics consist of your own characters Gym leaders and Etc.?

I wanna read some but there's to many i dont know where to start

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Tried checking the page numbers by a useful invention called Microsoft Word 2003-2008?

Hmmm? Whassat directed to?

Oh, btw, some people don't have MS Word 2003-2008. Like me. I have 2002 for some dodgy reason. Chinese crap doesn't work!!!!!!SHIFT

xD

My chapters...uh...lots I'm going to need lots. I'm up to chapter 2 in my revision, and got about 1 page. Procrastination FTW! Anywho, my oneshot was about 2 pages because it was fast. :\ And...yeah. That's about it. xD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

I'll have to agree with Ninja here. =/ If this was directed at me, then, yes, actually, I write all my chapters in Word 2003. I just have a wide variety of different works, none of which are the same length (hence "average"). Even with serials (chaptered fics) such as AEM and MKD, I never maintain the same number of pages per chapter.

Additionally, I tend to start new documents for each chapter, rather than keep everything in one document. There are two reasons for this. The first is that it's easier to edit: rather than scroll through countless pages, I can separate my chapters and locate the specific material I need to rewrite or correct fairly easily. The second is that I submit my work to FFNet, which requires every chapter to be in a separate document for uploading purposes simply because each chapter is treated like separate attachments to a post. There's no way to upload one document and then separate chapters. (As far as I know, anyway.)

So, therefore, I don't have a general overall count simply because that's fairly impossible, given how much I've done and my methods of uploading. Not to mention neither AEM nor MKD is actually finished, and I haven't planned how many chapters I want to write for each. So, therefore, I can't give you anything other than a page count per chapter simply because there's no way to estimate, and I don't see the point of stating how many pages I've done so far.

Original characters, yes. A Midsummer Knight's Dream is essentially set in a city full of original trainers.

I don't, however, write journey fics. It's not that I don't think highly of the genre (because anyone who can pull it off gets my respect either way). It's just that I never felt interested enough to sit down and write my own.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
I'll have to agree with Ninja here. =/ If this was directed at me, then, yes, actually, I write all my chapters in Word 2003. I just have a wide variety of different works, none of which are the same length (hence "average"). Even with serials (chaptered fics) such as AEM and MKD, I never maintain the same number of pages per chapter.

Additionally, I tend to start new documents for each chapter, rather than keep everything in one document. There are two reasons for this. The first is that it's easier to edit: rather than scroll through countless pages, I can separate my chapters and locate the specific material I need to rewrite or correct fairly easily. The second is that I submit my work to FFNet, which requires every chapter to be in a separate document for uploading purposes simply because each chapter is treated like separate attachments to a post. There's no way to upload one document and then separate chapters. (As far as I know, anyway.)

So, therefore, I don't have a general overall count simply because that's fairly impossible, given how much I've done and my methods of uploading. Not to mention neither AEM nor MKD is actually finished, and I haven't planned how many chapters I want to write for each. So, therefore, I can't give you anything other than a page count per chapter simply because there's no way to estimate, and I don't see the point of stating how many pages I've done so far.

Original characters, yes. A Midsummer Knight's Dream is essentially set in a city full of original trainers.

I don't, however, write journey fics. It's not that I don't think highly of the genre (because anyone who can pull it off gets my respect either way). It's just that I never felt interested enough to sit down and write my own.

That's what i'm doing a full journey Fan fic, but I like fan fics that you know use orginal characters

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
That's what i'm doing a full journey Fan fic, but I like fan fics that you know use orginal characters

Fair enough. Honestly, I don't know your tastes, so I can't entirely rec much of anything (aside from DGexe's work, which will probably get a perpetual rec from me until she tells me to knock it off). You could start by looking her up.

Otherwise, yeah, I'll need a little bit more information as to what you're after here. Ordinary new trainer fics like the one you're writing or something else?

DGexe

Taunter
Years

Because I never ever ever ever finish my longer fan fictions, this varies to an extent. I usually get to chapter 3 or 4 (pages for the whole story vary more so than the number of chapters) before my inspiration throws itself from a cliff and is never heard from again. -_o;

My page numbers can be from 10 to 40-- in fact, I believe Depth's first draft was roughly 20-21 pages (although numbered, it says 41-- that's only because I wrote on one side of the notebook paper for that draft; the DOC version I have is about 21 pages).

txteclipse

The Last
Years

Every single one of my characters is original. Except the pokemon, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back