• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon TCG mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
ok i am done with about 75% of the library screen...
i think today i can show the first results... ;)
hope you will like it... ^^

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
This sounds like a good project. I was planning on making a TCG-based game (Not pokemon) and started looking for RPG maker kits, this may be a pokemon kit but if this becomes an official project its definitely something to go on.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I have created the first draft of what I think is a design document. The process is as new to me as it is to many of you.

Everyone, please have a look through it and comment on anything you find. Is what has been described suitable for every reasonable possibility and usage?

I don't have any real useful code to share... I only got as far as making the general movement and the card library/deck builder. And it was in Game Maker, so it wouldn't be useful to somebody trying to make an RPG Maker game. And to be honest, I don't know where the files for it are anymore or if I've even still got them.

But I was able to find these 3 screenshots in the thread I made for it:

The game was going to have a structure more similar to a traditional Pokemon game, rather than the structure of the GBC TCG game. You'd earn money from defeating trainers and gym leaders, which you'd be able to use at stores to buy booster packs or individual cards. There would be 8 gym leaders, as well as an Elite Four.
I remember seeing those screenshots ages ago. I have a bit of a soft spot for TCG games, but on the rare occasions they're mentioned they always fall through (like most other games, actually, but unlike them the TCG games have a good reason for failing). It's always interesting to see how people envisage these kinds of things.

ok i am done with about 75% of the library screen...
i think today i can show the first results... ;)
hope you will like it... ^^
Looking forward to it.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
Nice GDD for a minigame option in a engine. This is almost a profissinal one! A profissinal Design Document generally have more description (even more detailed) and diagrams. But for a draft this is excellent (excluding the lack of duel info). You're skilled at it, I can't believe that is your first time!

I agree with almost all items.

Design Document said:
Should Stadium/Support cards be completely separate types of cards, or variants of Trainer cards? The real TCG has flop-flopped over this matter.
I vote for Stadium/Support cards as separate types, but will be the same in some effects (just like real TCG). The real TCG can't edit the old cards.

Design Document said:
Subtype – The card's subtype. Optional.
I suggest you to make this a string array defined in card rather that several subtypes defined in scripts.

Design Document said:
HP – The HP of this card, divided by 10.
I suggest you to use the actual number and only allow 10 multiples. I predict people having problems with this.

Design Document said:
There will not be a card shop.
Maybe in future?

Design Document said:
Duels will be possible using 3 or 6 Prize Cards (short or long).
Disagree. Put a number option (1-6) for more convenience

Design Document said:
Likely to have multiple pages, like the GBC game has
Disagree, Probably Isn't possible to put all in one page, so put two with the second page a continuation from the first one.

Design Document said:
The prize will be a list of one or more booster packs (usually one). This is the only possible form that the prize can take.
Put also a money/coins/card points option from buying boosters or cards.

Design Document said:
A Pokédex for cards. Effectively nothing more than a differently-arranged Library; used only for seeing completion percentages.
I prefer this as a mode for Library.

About the game board I prefer the Game Boy TCG one rather that the actual board. Try to mix some options and display the moves and Poké-power in the main duel screen (at least without the effect or even only the names). Try to display also the weakness, resistance and retreat cost.

Instead of Hand, Attack, Check, Pkmn Power, Retreat and Done, I suggest you to use Hand, Action (with Attack and Done options) and Board (with Pkmn Power and Retreat options).

I prefer that you use the pokémon card artwork rather that the entire card.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I have created the first draft of what I think is a design document. The process is as new to me as it is to many of you.

Everyone, please have a look through it and comment on anything you find. Is what has been described suitable for every reasonable possibility and usage?

I remember seeing those screenshots ages ago. I have a bit of a soft spot for TCG games, but on the rare occasions they're mentioned they always fall through (like most other games, actually, but unlike them the TCG games have a good reason for failing). It's always interesting to see how people envisage these kinds of things.

Looking forward to it.

My TCG project fell through simply due to laziness and getting distracted by other projects. But the idea still appeals to me, so I might revisit it... I'm thinking about even integrating it into my current project, so it'll be like two games in one: A regular Pokemon game, and a Pokemon TCG game.

Anyway, well-done design document. I should probably start making 'em for my projects instead of just jotting down random notes. I wish you the best of luck with your TCG game, but we might just become rivals if I include the TCG in my Pokemon game. But that might even be beneficial...

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Personally the original gba title is what I'd like to see remade because I like it so much, but that's because we haven't really had much else to compare it to.

I'd also really like to see the gameboard incorporated into the game. Essentially a background that will be different every time you play, to mimic the different poster/board things that come with the booster packs nowadays. This would be a great incentive to get more artists aboard, since they could literally draw almost anything for the boards.

I'd say show the overall board between turns, and then when it comes time to attack, the screen switches to the gbc style card vs. card set-up.

Lastly, I'm free as a artist for whatever when the framework gets set-up. I know that doesn't help you right now, but whether it be menu design, card art, or whatever, I can help.

Maruno

Years
Nice GDD for a minigame option in a engine. This is almost a profissinal one! A profissinal Design Document generally have more description (even more detailed) and diagrams. But for a draft this is excellent (excluding the lack of duel info). You're skilled at it, I can't believe that is your first time!
This design document is pretty much just a list of notes I've thought of, arranged into sections. Some important notes are unnecessary, as they're mechanics of the game and assumed known (e.g. you draw a card at the beginning of your turn, and attack at the end), or things are described as "like X unless stated" and are also taken for granted (e.g. the Library works like the Bag). That's probably where the lack of description is. That and me not thinking of everything, of course.

I vote for Stadium/Support cards as separate types, but will be the same in some effects (just like real TCG). The real TCG can't edit the old cards.

I suggest you to make this a string array defined in card rather that several subtypes defined in scripts.

I suggest you to use the actual number and only allow 10 multiples. I predict people having problems with this.
The only thing against the complete separation of Trainer and Stadium/Supporter cards is that most recently they've gone back to being subtypes of Trainer cards. In this particular situation, it's easier to pick one option and stick to it (situations like "how do Fossil Pokémon work?", on the other hand, should probably remain identical to the real cards despite a variety of methods).

I know how to define the various card properties (I just need to know which ones are needed). Trust me, it's better my way. Smaller HP values are simpler to work with, and if people can't read the instructions and observe the hundreds of example cards, I'd say there's something wrong with them rather than the system being at fault.

Maybe in future?

Disagree. Put a number option (1-6) for more convenience

Disagree, Probably Isn't possible to put all in one page, so put two with the second page a continuation from the first one.

Put also a money/coins/card points option from buying boosters or cards.

I prefer this as a mode for Library.
Card shops are, to say the least, difficult when there's no currency (which is about the first thing I stated). The GBC game managed without money, and it's not something I'm going to worry about. This also applies to your comment about alternatives to booster prizes - I did consider cash alternatives, but decided against it (because that's not how the GBC game rolls, it doesn't feel right/appropriate to me, and it deters save-scumming for better booster pack contents).

I understand that duels are only done with either 3 or 6 Prize cards, which is why I wrote that. 1 is rather unfair as there's too much chance involved in the early game, and any other number seems random.

You can disagree all you want about the layout of the card summary, but it hasn't even been designed yet. All I know is that it's impossible to fit all the information on one screen, and I know how the GBC game does it, which is what I wrote. I don't know whether it will just show the entire card image (probably not), or show screens similar to the GBC game. It's up to the artists.

The Card Dex performs a different function to the Library. The Library shows you what cards you have (and how many you have), while the Card Dex is mainly used to show you what you're missing (just like the Pokédex, including where you can get missing cards from - booster packs are based on sets). The Library also has many pockets, making it impossible to use it as a set completion record. The Card Dex will remain as a separate feature.

About the game board I prefer the Game Boy TCG one rather that the actual board. Try to mix some options and display the moves and Poké-power in the main duel screen (at least without the effect or even only the names). Try to display also the weakness, resistance and retreat cost.

Instead of Hand, Attack, Check, Pkmn Power, Retreat and Done, I suggest you to use Hand, Action (with Attack and Done options) and Board (with Pkmn Power and Retreat options).

I prefer that you use the pokémon card artwork rather that the entire card.
Again, all that is mainly up to the artists who will come up with the appearance of the duel screen. I've tried playing around with some graphics, but it's very difficult for me to figure anything out (it's not my forte).

I imagine it would work like Asobikata, in that you select a card and a pop-up menu appears listing the appropriate actions that card can do (rather than the GBC method of choosing the action first then finding a card that can do it). The card graphics in the duel screen would have a number of icons on them, indicating a few things (whether retreat is possible, whether it has a PokéPower, whatever).

It would be best to use card templates, and just have card-specific illustrations.

My TCG project fell through simply due to laziness and getting distracted by other projects. But the idea still appeals to me, so I might revisit it... I'm thinking about even integrating it into my current project, so it'll be like two games in one: A regular Pokemon game, and a Pokemon TCG game.

Anyway, well-done design document. I should probably start making 'em for my projects instead of just jotting down random notes. I wish you the best of luck with your TCG game, but we might just become rivals if I include the TCG in my Pokemon game. But that might even be beneficial...
I'm not making a game myself. This is mainly a whim, and if it comes to fruition, it will be available to all as a kit (an addition to Essentials). I don't think I'll include it in Essentials itself, though.

That's why I won't consider you a "rival". Sharing ideas would be beneficial, of course, particularly between two people who are actually working on such projects.

Personally the original gba title is what I'd like to see remade because I like it so much, but that's because we haven't really had much else to compare it to.

I'd also really like to see the gameboard incorporated into the game. Essentially a background that will be different every time you play, to mimic the different poster/board things that come with the booster packs nowadays. This would be a great incentive to get more artists aboard, since they could literally draw almost anything for the boards.

I'd say show the overall board between turns, and then when it comes time to attack, the screen switches to the gbc style card vs. card set-up.

Lastly, I'm free as a artist for whatever when the framework gets set-up. I know that doesn't help you right now, but whether it be menu design, card art, or whatever, I can help.
The dual background random artwork is an interesting idea, and one which I probably wouldn't have thought of. It's up to the artists as to whether the dual will look like an actual playing field or just a mass of information (but I'd prefer the former).

By the way, when I say "artists", I mean: "anyone of you people who want to make a doodle in Paint of how you think something should look or be laid out". You don't need to be a good artist; you just need to visually show where you think the discard pile should appear (or whatever).

I need this concept art now. I can't really make any progress at all until I know what the screens are supposed to look like (and I'm bad at that). The more art, the better. Draw everything. Thanks.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
In the deck card count make like (example): if you have 3 Rattata cards, you can put 3 in a deck, 1 in other, 3 in even other, etc... in the same time, but without way to put 4 in one deck.

I know how to define the various card properties (I just need to know which ones are needed). Trust me, it's better my way.
I am thinking about the user side. If a dev wish to create a new subtypes, he just make something like: "Subtype=Super, Hyper", rather than putting a internal name and adding in scripts.

Card shops are, to say the least, difficult when there's no currency (which is about the first thing I stated). The GBC game managed without money, and it's not something I'm going to worry about. This also applies to your comment about alternatives to booster prizes - I did consider cash alternatives, but decided against it (because that's not how the GBC game rolls, it doesn't feel right/appropriate to me, and it deters save-scumming for better booster pack contents).
Most of the TCG games use a current, so the dev that will use this kit probably will use this, and isn't hard to make. Don't put this is like a fight against the current.

I understand that duels are only done with either 3 or 6 Prize cards, which is why I wrote that. 1 is rather unfair as there's too much chance involved in the early game, and any other number seems random.
The Game Boy game has this option and isn't hard to do. Like you say: you are making a feature in a dev kit, not one actual game.

Maruno

Years
In the deck card count make like (example): if you have 3 Rattata cards, you can put 3 in a deck, 1 in other, 3 in even other, etc... in the same time, but without way to put 4 in one deck.
You're suggesting that decks act like "recipes", where the cards themselves remain in the Library (rather than the decks physically containing the cards). I did consider this approach, but it would be harder to make sure that decks aren't broken if you get rid of a card (via selling/tossing/trading). I don't think it's worth the effort, it makes less sense than decks physically containing their cards, and it either doesn't affect the player or encourages them to get more cards so they can have both desired decks at once.

I am thinking about the user side. If a dev wish to create a new subtypes, he just make something like: "Subtype=Super, Hyper", rather than putting a internal name and adding in scripts.

Most of the TCG games use a current, so the dev that will use this kit probably will use this, and isn't hard to make. Don't put this is like a fight against the current.

The Game Boy game has this option and isn't hard to do. Like you say: you are making a feature in a dev kit, not one actual game.
If you're adding a new card Subtype, you're going to need to edit the scripts anyway in order to make it do anything. It's as simple as adding the line "Super = 12" in the appropriate place. My way also makes it easier to create cards, as if you mistype a card's Subtype, it simply won't compile and will immediately tell you why (rather than it compiling with the wrong Subtype and then be incompatible with whatever effects you create for that Subtype, which is a harder error to track down).

Support for a currency isn't important at the moment. As I've said, I don't know if I'll ever add a currency anyway. It's a matter of what feels right for the game, and I don't think duels for cash feels right.

Where in the GBC game can you decide how many prize cards you will use? I don't recall any choice at all.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
You're suggesting that decks act like "recipes", where the cards themselves remain in the Library (rather than the decks physically containing the cards). I did consider this approach, but it would be harder to make sure that decks aren't broken if you get rid of a card (via selling/tossing/trading). I don't think it's worth the effort, it makes less sense than decks physically containing their cards, and it either doesn't affect the player or encourages them to get more cards so they can have both desired decks at once.
Yes, like recipes! I consider this even easier, like, if you have 3 cards and want to sell/toss/trade 2 you only need to check if some deck contain 3 or 2 cards, if any contain, them block it. The recipe idea encorage the player to try several different decks without needing to disassemble the old ones, almost all (if isn't all) actual TCG electronic games use recipes concept.

Where in the GBC game can you decide how many prize cards you will use? I don't recall any choice at all.
This choice I am talking for devs. In the Game Boy TCG, every duel have their prizes previous set by the developer, the importants ones (plus Imakuni?) are 6.This duel have 4 prizes.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
The Card Dex performs a different function to the Library. The Library shows you what cards you have (and how many you have), while the Card Dex is mainly used to show you what you're missing (just like the Pokédex, including where you can get missing cards from - booster packs are based on sets). The Library also has many pockets, making it impossible to use it as a set completion record. The Card Dex will remain as a separate feature.

well it looks like i have misunderstood something... ^^
you remember me saying i want to start with a "deck construction screen"?
i actually meant something like the library you mentioned above where it is shown which cards the player owns and stuff like this...
i thought you mean with "library" something like a Card Dex so i made a design for a card dex screen... :embarrass
english is not my native language so sry for the misunderstanding! :(
cant you just start the project with the dex screen where you add the first set of cards?
here is what i made even thought its not what you wanted: http://www.mediafire.com/?f8lkuytc126jnb1
i wanted to make the info screen for the cards after this but it looks like i should make the library like you described... ^^
ahh by the way i have all the existing cards as scans so i resized the base set to fit in the card dex screen... (i will resize more sets later)
here they are: http://www.mediafire.com/?gt77e7x7b5ka11k
these cards are pretty small because otherwise i couldnt fit them in the dex screen...
i already prepared bigger size cards (where you can read the text on the cards) for the info screen...
i will upload them after i am finished with the info screen...
and here is a screenshot for everyone who dont want to download the psd file...
http://i.imgur.com/9Xd3V.png

EDIT:
if you dont have photoshop you can open .psd files with paint.net and this plugin: http://www.chip.de/downloads/Paint.NET-PSD-Plug-in_41383756.html

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
I can start creating pretty much any part of the game; I would just have preferred to begin with the Library.

Thanks for the card images, but we shouldn't be using images of the whole card. We just need the illustration itself. Making those should wait, though, until we've decided what a card is actually going to look like (e.g. the size of it, which will depend on the designs of the various screens). Ideally, a card will look the same in every screen (except the Card Info, where all its information will be displayed rather than just the important stuff).

9Xd3V.png
Your design certainly looks nice, but the layout needs improving.

The whole point of the Card Dex is for it to display a list, which means it's better if you can see more of the list at once. What you've done is waste some vertical space for the header and footer, and then space out the list more than necessary (48 pixels per line as opposed to the standard 32), resulting in just 5 entries visible at once.

The only sorting method will be by index number, so the footer is completely unnecessary.

I don't know whether we'll bother with "seen". It's simpler to use just "owned". And in that case, there's no need for an icon to show that a card is owned - the name being shown will suffice.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Thanks for the card images, but we shouldn't be using images of the whole card. We just need the illustration itself. Making those should wait, though, until we've decided what a card is actually going to look like (e.g. the size of it, which will depend on the designs of the various screens). Ideally, a card will look the same in every screen (except the Card Info, where all its information will be displayed rather than just the important stuff).
well imo its better to use the whole card because the use of a blank card where you add the illustration like in the gbc games is limited after a certain point...
you know in the newer cards the pokemon started to go out of the card window...
look at this example: http://pokebeach.com/scans/next-destinies/54-mewtwo-ex.jpg

there are 2 sizes i would suggest for a card...
first we need a small image like the cards i uploaded in my previous post (132x182 pixel)
the other one is a full view of the card like these: http://www.mediafire.com/?wqw1ug175vpc7gc
their size is 276x380 which barely fits in the current screen size of essentials... ^^
you can see & read almost anything in this size...
it looks even better with the newer cards where you have a lot of details... :)
ahh and of course we need tiny cards for the library screen...
they dont need to have any details so a tiny card for each card type should be enough...

Your design certainly looks nice, but the layout needs improving.

The whole point of the Card Dex is for it to display a list, which means it's better if you can see more of the list at once. What you've done is waste some vertical space for the header and footer, and then space out the list more than necessary (48 pixels per line as opposed to the standard 32), resulting in just 5 entries visible at once.

The only sorting method will be by index number, so the footer is completely unnecessary.
i will improve these points...
i hope i can make 10-12 card names visible at once next time... ^^
and well a sorting method for the card dex is not that use full...
but we need a sorting method for the library right?
otherwise it would take hours to make a deck...

I don't know whether we'll bother with "seen". It's simpler to use just "owned". And in that case, there's no need for an icon to show that a card is owned - the name being shown will suffice.
without the "seen" option how will the players know which cards are missing in their collection? ^^
after seeing a card (for example in battle) that you want to have how are you supposed to get it if you dont know which boosters you need to open? :)
its like in the pokemon games you know...
if you dont know the location where the pokemon are you cant find them without some luck...
it would be almost impossible to get a rare pokemon with a 1% rate to find...
with rare cards its even worse because there are tons of them and if you have the luck to get one its most likely not the one you wanted... ^^

EDIT
changed the layout a little bit... ;)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sfy9y87az6p75rw
screenshot:
6t3EJ.png

if this is ok for the beginning i will start work on the card info screen... :)

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
well imo its better to use the whole card because the use of a blank card where you add the illustration like in the gbc games is limited after a certain point...
you know in the newer cards the pokemon started to go out of the card window...
look at this example: http://pokebeach.com/scans/next-destinies/54-mewtwo-ex.jpg

there are 2 sizes i would suggest for a card...
first we need a small image like the cards i uploaded in my previous post (132x182 pixel)
the other one is a full view of the card like these: http://www.mediafire.com/?wqw1ug175vpc7gc
their size is 276x380 which barely fits in the current screen size of essentials... ^^
you can see & read almost anything in this size...
it looks even better with the newer cards where you have a lot of details... :)
ahh and of course we need tiny cards for the library screen...
they dont need to have any details so a tiny card for each card type should be enough...
I'm pretty sure we'd just need the one image per card (the largest one), since the game can resize it where necessary.

i will improve these points...
i hope i can make 10-12 card names visible at once next time... ^^
and well a sorting method for the card dex is not that use full...
but we need a sorting method for the library right?
otherwise it would take hours to make a deck...
I don't know if even the Library needs sorting methods. Can't it just act like the Bag, where you can sort it yourself, and new cards are added to the bottom? Besides, I don't know what sorting method would be best.

If having too many cards becomes a serious general concern, I may add a "Trunk" option to the PC, where you can dump cards you don't use. However, it's not something I'm going to bother with now.

without the "seen" option how will the players know which cards are missing in their collection? ^^
after seeing a card (for example in battle) that you want to have how are you supposed to get it if you dont know which boosters you need to open? :)
its like in the pokemon games you know...
if you dont know the location where the pokemon are you cant find them without some luck...
it would be almost impossible to get a rare pokemon with a 1% rate to find...
with rare cards its even worse because there are tons of them and if you have the luck to get one its most likely not the one you wanted... ^^
I'm still not convinced.

EDIT
changed the layout a little bit... ;)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sfy9y87az6p75rw
screenshot:
6t3EJ.png

if this is ok for the beginning i will start work on the card info screen... :)
This new layout is a lot better than your first attempt.

The card numbers should appear next to each card, in place of the ball symbol (which isn't needed if we're not using a "seen" option).

There shouldn't be any scrolling left/right to change sets here. The sets will be listed in another screen first (like the list of Regional Dexes in Essentials).

I'm also not sure about using BW graphics.

I've attached my very poor attempt at a Library screen, just so you have an idea of what I was thinking of. If you have a better layout, go for it. You'll certainly have better graphics.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I'm pretty sure we'd just need the one image per card (the largest one), since the game can resize it where necessary.
if the quality is acceptable this would save me some work... ^^
so should i send you the first sets (size: 276x380)? :)

I don't know if even the Library needs sorting methods. Can't it just act like the Bag, where you can sort it yourself, and new cards are added to the bottom? Besides, I don't know what sorting method would be best.

If having too many cards becomes a serious general concern, I may add a "Trunk" option to the PC, where you can dump cards you don't use. However, it's not something I'm going to bother with now.
at the beginning its not needed because the first 3 sets have together like 200 cards...
but each set adds about 100 cards so a sorting system is essential after you have reached like 1000 cards... ^^
imo the most important sorting method is alphabetical but there are some more points which can be used to sort the cards like hp, atk, type, rarity and so on... :)

I'm still not convinced.
well i dont know what else i can tell you about the "seen" option to convince you expect the points i told you in my other post... ^^
how about hearing the opinions of other users?
imo its important to know which cards can be found in which booster but if its just me that thinks this way i will remove the "seen" option without regrets... :)

The card numbers should appear next to each card, in place of the ball symbol (which isn't needed if we're not using a "seen" option).

There shouldn't be any scrolling left/right to change sets here. The sets will be listed in another screen first (like the list of Regional Dexes in Essentials).

I'm also not sure about using BW graphics.
i knew i forgot something (index numbers)! xD
i will add them to the next version... :)
but i dont know if i should remove the ball symbol which marks the cards as "seen"...
is it ok for you if i move it to a different position where it can be removed easily until some more people tell us their opinion about the "seen" option? ^^

removing the arrows is an easy task...
should i give this screen where the sets are listed a try too?
i can already see it before me! ^^

well i used the BW style because its easy to work with ad the results look good... ^^
i wanted to replace them with a more unique style after some more progress is done...
if you want i can change the style with the next version but it would take a lot of time where i could work for other important stuff like info or library screen...
imo we should stick with the BW graphics until we have a concept for some more screen (library, card info, deck construction and the set screen mentioned above) but well its not my decision... ^^

I've attached my very poor attempt at a Library screen, just so you have an idea of what I was thinking of. If you have a better layout, go for it. You'll certainly have better graphics.
this is realy helpfull! :)
an idea i had right after seeing your screen it that the icons on the top can be made to dropdown boxes where you can add sorting methods!
for example a dropdown box for the set, one for the cardtype, one for the first letter of the card (which is a way of sorting alphabetical), one box with numbers for hp, one to check if the card has pokepower/body and so on...
this way you can find exactly the card you look for... ^^
there is still some time until i start with the library screen so think about it and add all the stuff you want there... ;)

Maruno

Years
Progress update
Since the last time I mentioned my progress, I've rewritten the compiler and added pretty much every card aspect to the list of things it compiles, created a Library array whose cards are auto-sorted into the correct pocket, created a Deck object and array for the player's decks, added a load of methods which make manipulating cards easier, and today I created another compiler script which reads a PBS file containing pre-made decks (which must each be 60 cards long).

Nearly all of this is behind-the-scenes code, which means the user won't ever need to bother with it. Amongst other things, I can now add a card to the Library or a deck with a single line of code, knowing that the appropriate checks are made (such as the 4-card limit per species). Deleting is also just as simple and complete (e.g. deleting a card from the Library makes sure it's not being used in a deck first). It may all be rather disjointed at the moment, but it'll come together when the screens have been created.

I have 4 script sections and 678 total lines of code to do all the above.

Just thought you might be interested. Not bad for a week's work, particularly considering I haven't spent as long on it as I could have due to laziness and waiting for a screen to create.

all good ideas this will be a great project when its done any chance of being able to add our own sets when this game comes out?
Of course. Each set is its own txt file, so you can easily throw in more and they'll be added automatically. The relatively hard part is filling the file in correctly, and the actual hard part is programming in all the new effects.

if the quality is acceptable this would save me some work... ^^
so should i send you the first sets (size: 276x380)? :)
As I said, we should wait until we have decent designs for the screens, because we can't know what size card graphics we'll need until then.

at the beginning its not needed because the first 3 sets have together like 200 cards...
but each set adds about 100 cards so a sorting system is essential after you have reached like 1000 cards... ^^
imo the most important sorting method is alphabetical but there are some more points which can be used to sort the cards like hp, atk, type, rarity and so on... :)
Remember that the contents of each set will (probably) be divided up into many Library pockets (one per Pokémon element, Trainers, Energy). It'll be quite a while before you start losing cards.

Alphabetical sorting is fair enough, as is by card type (Basic/Stage 1/Baby/etc.). I think I'm just about able to manage that - remember that I do have to code all this, and I don't want to give myself a harder time than necessary.

well i dont know what else i can tell you about the "seen" option to convince you expect the points i told you in my other post... ^^
how about hearing the opinions of other users?
imo its important to know which cards can be found in which booster but if its just me that thinks this way i will remove the "seen" option without regrets... :)
I see the Card Dex as more of a checklist than of a way of learning where cards can be found. In the real world, you don't keep a track which which cards you know exist, do you? Other CCG-based games don't. If you want to know the contents of a set, you can use the Internet. Plus, there's the joy of opening a booster pack and discovering what lies within (new cards will be marked as such, so you at least know if you gained anything new).

i knew i forgot something (index numbers)! xD
i will add them to the next version... :)
but i dont know if i should remove the ball symbol which marks the cards as "seen"...
is it ok for you if i move it to a different position where it can be removed easily until some more people tell us their opinion about the "seen" option? ^^

removing the arrows is an easy task...
should i give this screen where the sets are listed a try too?
i can already see it before me! ^^

well i used the BW style because its easy to work with ad the results look good... ^^
i wanted to replace them with a more unique style after some more progress is done...
if you want i can change the style with the next version but it would take a lot of time where i could work for other important stuff like info or library screen...
imo we should stick with the BW graphics until we have a concept for some more screen (library, card info, deck construction and the set screen mentioned above) but well its not my decision... ^^
You can do what you like with the designs. I'm not expecting the absolute final designs immediately; I don't mind if I just have placeholder graphics, so long as I know what layout to work to.

The screen listing the sets would be nice to have too; I imagine it looks pretty much the same as the Card Dex. Each set should list its completion next to it. Sets for which the player has no cards will not be shown at all, like empty Regional Dexes in Essentials. There's no need to display an overall completion value. You may want to put each set's icon next to it to liven things up; I haven't decided either way.

this is realy helpfull! :)
an idea i had right after seeing your screen it that the icons on the top can be made to dropdown boxes where you can add sorting methods!
for example a dropdown box for the set, one for the cardtype, one for the first letter of the card (which is a way of sorting alphabetical), one box with numbers for hp, one to check if the card has pokepower/body and so on...
this way you can find exactly the card you look for... ^^
there is still some time until i start with the library screen so think about it and add all the stuff you want there... ;)
I think a better way would be to open a menu with the Z key (like it used to in the Pokédex), and this menu would list several sorting methods to use. Again, deciding which methods should exist is the key. That is, if there will be multiple sorting methods at all.

I think what you are describing are filters (i.e. hide cards which don't match the criteria), but I'm not sure I'd be able to do that.

Years
I could help here, if you give me a script to work on considering that it's not relative to graphics directly (drawing images and or text directly) I am fine at what you want to throw at me.

Maruno

Years
Pretty much everything I can think of is either directly related to drawing things on-screen, or are fragments of code which aren't really useful at the moment and would be subject to change anyway.

That's why, if you can, I'd like you to think about how best to implement card effects in battle, and how/when to check them.

Ideally I would like all effects of each kind (attack, ability, held item, general card effects) to to be grouped together in their own section, like move effects do with their function codes (card effects have their own function codes). That is, have something similar to class PokeBattle_Move (a basic class for a standard effect), then a PokeBattle_MoveEffects-type script section containing addition classes, one for each function code. The basic class would do nothing, but would contain all the methods which are called at every time any possible effect would be checked/used (which each function code's class can overwrite).

This would require a TCGBattle_CardEffect (or TCGBattle_AttackEffect, TCGBattle_AbilityEffect, etc.) entity to be created for each effect, but should they be created/discarded only while being used/checked, or should they constantly exist for as long as the card with that effect is on the field? Should there be multiple classes, one per kind of effect, which are used solely for their effect, or should there be just the one class for the card itself (which will exist anyway) with all possible effects/checks merged into that? Should the four kinds of function code mentioned above be separated into distinct function code continuums at all? Should handlers (like those used for some item effects) be used instead of the PokeBattle_Move-style "basic plus addition" classes? Could a hybrid of function codes and handlers work better, or even be possible?

Then we have the question of when effects need to be checked (e.g. before/during/after using an attack, upon flipping a coin, between turns, after drawing a card, when picking a Prize Card, etc. etc.). There are obviously many points during a duel when an effect could occur, so there would need to be many methods/handlers to cover all these occasions. And some effects only affect their own card, while some affect all cards in play - should these be differentiated in how they are checked, or just in the effect itself?

I hope this has made any sense at all.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
As I said, we should wait until we have decent designs for the screens, because we can't know what size card graphics we'll need until then.
ok... ^^
just thought that the cards could be useful when scripting stuff...
after all they are the max. size the current screen can show so having them would be useful i thought... :)

Remember that the contents of each set will (probably) be divided up into many Library pockets (one per Pokémon element, Trainers, Energy). It'll be quite a while before you start losing cards.

Alphabetical sorting is fair enough, as is by card type (Basic/Stage 1/Baby/etc.). I think I'm just about able to manage that - remember that I do have to code all this, and I don't want to give myself a harder time than necessary.

I see the Card Dex as more of a checklist than of a way of learning where cards can be found. In the real world, you don't keep a track which which cards you know exist, do you? Other CCG-based games don't. If you want to know the contents of a set, you can use the Internet. Plus, there's the joy of opening a booster pack and discovering what lies within (new cards will be marked as such, so you at least know if you gained anything new).
i have to apologize!
i just realized that the features i mentioned are nice and all but they are a pain to script right?
i will remove the "seen" marks from the card dex screen...
that the new cards are marked as "new" should be enough! :)
and the sorting system is unnecessary if its possible for you to make the filters you mentioned...

The screen listing the sets would be nice to have too; I imagine it looks pretty much the same as the Card Dex. Each set should list its completion next to it. Sets for which the player has no cards will not be shown at all, like empty Regional Dexes in Essentials. There's no need to display an overall completion value. You may want to put each set's icon next to it to liven things up; I haven't decided either way.
should the completion value shown in percent?
it would definitely look better and save some space...

I think a better way would be to open a menu with the Z key (like it used to in the Pokédex), and this menu would list several sorting methods to use. Again, deciding which methods should exist is the key. That is, if there will be multiple sorting methods at all.

I think what you are describing are filters (i.e. hide cards which don't match the criteria), but I'm not sure I'd be able to do that.
yeah i meant filters! :)
they are much better then just sorting the cards...
hope you will find a way to add this feature...

filters are often used in TCG video games like "Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011" to sort your cards in your library and find the one you want to have in your deck... ^^
here is a screen:
Spoiler:

i thought we could do the library something like this...
not as complicated but the structure should look similar...
of course we have to implement the top ds screen (where the card image is) to the bottom one...
maybe make it pop up if you click a button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back