• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Netflix, Shomi, Crunchyroll, etc.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Lots of broadband options nowadays for TV. It's really got the companies up in Canada, especially BCE (Bell), with wads in their panties.

Do you use Netflix, Shomi, Crunchyroll, etc.; if so, which?

Did you have TV before these options became available? Do you still pay absurd prices for cable / satellite / on-demand TV service?

Which do you think has better content? Crunchyroll is more anime, but Netflix and Shomi seem to be stocking well in that department lately, too.

Has Netflix, Shomi, etc. deterred you from streaming or illegally downloading content?

How do you find the pricing of these services?

x

I have Netflix, but I do use Crunchyroll on my PC sometimes. Netflix is on my WiiU, Wii and Xbox 360 ☺ I think it offers a decent amount of content. I have the Canadian Netflix, though, and apparently the American version is better. I'm too lazy to go about getting into the American Netflix's content, though. They're cracking down on that soon, too.

Didn't have TV before, and I haven't had it since I was about six or so. Did'ja see the prices of TV services nowadays? Absolutely ridiculous. In Quebec, at least you can pick and choose channels. In Ontario, it's still legal for companies to force you to pay for packages when you only want one channel in said package.

As for streaming, I haven't done much of that recently anyway, but if there is something Netflix doesn't offer I'd be prone to downloading or streaming. I'm a student. Too poor to avoid fun :pink_no:

[Edit]

This might be more suited for Tech, now that I think about it, but I never venture yonder way :pink_tongue:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I use Netflix. Well, not as much as I should though. I don't really download or watch stuff online illegally anymore. I find it's wrong, even though I understand why some actually do it omg so many fucking questions here that I can't answer very well. My dad uses Netflix the most in our house. I'm also not the one that has to worry about the pricing and what not because he's the one who takes charge of that sort of thing. So, I can't really give you an opinion on those things.

Years
Netflix is like most of what we watch here, because for the longest time we didn't have cable, and now that we do - it's really crappy cable with relatively few channels. Don't even get all the channels that I thought were standard with most things So if we want to watch something, we just turn on Netflix because it has way more options than what we were given.

We're not about to get better cable because we don't actually use it enough to justify the price. As much as I'd like some nice tv service, there's just no way we want to pay the price for it.

Crunchyroll I'll turn to every so often if I'm in the mood for watching anime. Although I can't stand the free service for long, all the ads drive me nuts, so if I get into stretches of actually using it more than once a week or so I'll just put down the couple bucks to activate the premium. Although this time around apparently I hit a two-week trial again, so whatever. That works too.

In a way, all these have turned me off illegally downloading things. I was using that before as a way to get things that I had no easy way of getting, but I always had the mindset that if I could get it legit, I would. Well, now I have legit ways of getting stuff, so I have no need to do that anymore.

I don't mind the pricing of the services I actually use. What amounts to a little over a couple bucks a month for all I can watch whenever I want to? Yeah, I'll take that.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
All along here we've had less than 16 cable channels to choose from. Most of it isn't good, though I do like when an odd movie or two that I haven't seen airs. We've got several 'catch-up' players to choose from; RTÉ Player, 3player, Sky Go, TG4 seinnteoir, etc etc, but I never really use them. I availed of those trials Netflix were offering once or twice to take a peek at their on demand library, but that unfortunately turned out to be disappointing too. (It's nothing compared to the USA's, not to mention that the quality of some of the shows in their library was abysmal. I know, not everything'll be high-def, but even for upscaled, SD quality shows it was not good). Also trialed Amazon's video service once, but have yet to use that MUBI service on PS3.

Really the only kind of on demand service that I've gotten any considerable mileage out of has been (surprise surprise) the WWE Network. Whilst not everything is there, there's more than enough content to keep me entertained. I'm using the February trial at the moment (I really am a sucker for free stuff), but I'm considering hanging on with it, even if the monthly subscription price is a little steep. (€12-€13, I think).

Years
I used to use Netflix in like 2004/05, and a little more through the later 2000s, but not anymore while i'm on my own without my own TV. And I have always had TV. Sometimes i'll rent movies on iTunes or even from the college's library. I've never done anything with Crunchyroll.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I had Netflix around 2012 and 2013, but now my brother keeps the account to himself to share with his friends.

I use Crunchyroll, and the price is great. I follow at least 3 series every month, so I think 12 episodes for $6.95 per month is a deal. I wanted a greater selection of anime compared to Netflix anyway. I hardly watch any non-animated tv shows.

Cable packages are crazy expensive. I'm probably set up to have 100 channels in every bedroom, and two rooms have 200+ channels. I watch maybe the same 4 tv channels when I'm that bored.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I mainly use Netflix after being disillusioned with cable TV for a good number of years.

Can't say too much about the other options though seeing how I never used them before.

Years
A lot of my friends use Crunchyroll to catch up on watching/streaming anime. Other than that, I use Netflix whenever I feel.

blue

gucci
Years
I only use Netflix, never heard of the other two. I've had my Netflix subscription for about two years now, I've discovered and watched so many new shows/movies from it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I used Churnchyroll to see animes, but sadly they make some section into region-locking besides FREE MANGAS in Crunchyroll

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I use Netflix for my TV series/anime mostly. The movies on Netflix, either I already watched them or I own them. And the Canadian Netflix got more cheap DtV (Direct-to-Video) movies than commercial/popular movies too.

One that isn't in the list but we also happen to have is Roku. It's basically an internet streaming machine that streams TV channels from the internet, and we also get free PPV for sport events such as wrestling and boxing. It also comes with Youtube, Crunchyroll, Netflix and all those stuffs. It's kinda weird how they're allowed to sell these stuffs but at the same time it's a way for to get free sports PPV.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
My parents still pay for cable, almost solely for some of the Chinese programming that's hard to find online. I DVR my South Park and a couple other shows that aren't on Netflix, but aside from that I do have a subscription I use almost daily.

I don't watch anime but I know what Crunchyroll is, never heard of Shomi though. In any case, Netflix works just fine for me - I think the pricing is fair and there's lots of good shows and movies on it. :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I watch so few films or shows that it's really not worth me subscribing to any such service for any price. They also lack some of the things I watch. I don't want to pay when I'm not getting everything I want, you know? It'd be like if a paid subscription was necessary to use Steam — except most of my games aren't locked to Steam, so I could just as well do without the service. If the Steam service offered every game I play, only then would I not consider it an annoying burden.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Cable isn't too ungodly expensive if you complain enough about how expensive it is, and as long as you don't get the 600-700 premium channels that you might watch once or twice a month. We still watch some tv shows, but for the most part the bulk of what I use tv for is movies. And tv is just easier and less of a hassle than trying to find something online.

For my anime watching I used to use animecrazy but after it got shut down I started using animefreak and now I switch between wherever I can find an anime and it doesn't take a terribly long time to load the video and I also use hulu. Hulu actually has a lot of stuff that I'd be interested in watching so it's been my go to since the beginning of the year. I used to use Netflix, but that costs money that I don't need to spend, and their selection isn't always the best. For a couple of months I was settling for some shows that I just reeeeaaaallllly didn't want to watch simply because I didn't have a computer good enough to watch anything so Netflix was the only thing I could use if I wanted to watch actual shows and not just the same 5 episodes that they show over and over on tv.

The only thing that's ever deterred me from illegally downloading anything is I've only ever had piece of shit computers.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've recently moved to a new house, and don't have any sort of cable installed, unfortunately.

Luckily, my neighbor has an open wi-fi network, and am utilizing it to browse and keep up with a few of my TV shows online. I'm currently using Hulu for that; although they don't offer all seasonal episodes in their lite version, they still do permit us to watch some, and I would say that's enough for me.

At the moment, I'm deciding whether or not to get cable or simply move over to Hulu Plus. There aren't much TV channels I do find myself following when it comes to former, and on top of that, I believe they charge extra money for it, which make up two cons. If I go for latter, however, I would have chance to only watch the things I'd like straightforwardly, and save a bit of cash.

Of course, there are a variety of other options out there aside from that, such as Netflix, so I'd likely need to consider them as well before deciding on something.

Years
Crunchyroll and Amazon Prime Instant Video are the services I currently have subscriptions to, though the latter is more a side effect of having the Prime membership that I have for "Free" 2-day shipping (and discounted rates on Amazon merch) more than anything, since there's not currently a whole lot that I personally wanna watch after looking through their library.

I am very satisfied with Crunchyroll, which I use to watch shows on my mobile phone and on my PS3, though I've never really used the desktop client of theirs all that much.

I do also have access to Netflix, but that's my parents' account, and I only use that occasionally. I've not had as clean of an experience streaming via Netflix versus with Crunchyroll.

I do also have access to my parents' satellite DVR service, but I only really use that to keep up with the Pokemon XY dub on Cartoon Network and to watch most of the Toonami block.

If I can find a show I want to watch via a streaming service, I prefer to watch it there (with the exception of whatever's on the Toonami block).

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll get cable/satellite or just go all-in on streaming services when I move out, since I'd be missing out on watching most sporting events legally with just the streaming services. I may be able to get satellite and a DVR for a relatively not obscene price of $50/month if I can get a DVR and squeeze in the sports channels I want to watch. Depends on what's available via Sling for me as well.

Crunchyroll is king of anime, with Hulu probably being the overall king of total content available of the streaming services.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I use Netflix and Crunchyroll on the regular. I used to be a premium member on Crunchyroll for the longest time but there's nothing this season that's interesting to me so I won't start paying again until the beginning of April when the spring season starts, because there's a few shows that'll likely be on Crunchyroll that'll be starting then.

Back