• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Killswitch

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016

Introduction
Greetings all! This is my first team on this site and I must say it has been doing good. As I type this (12/24/2015) I have made it to 1403 on the OU ladder, but I topped out at 1537 a week ago. I'm usually a stall player, but this time I decided to try a more offensive approach to the metagame with this team, and so far it doesn't disappoint. There also aren't many Pokemon that really threaten the team outside of Mega Venusaur, Buneary, and Medicham, as each Pokemon compliments each other well. I find this team very easy to use and the sets are really straight forward.
At a Glance
excadrill.gif
azumarill.gif
landorus-therian.gif
494.gif
chansey.gif
altaria-mega.gif

Up Close
excadrill.gif

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
Excadrill has always been a Pokemon that has thrived, it has been in OU, moved up to Uber, and finally with the weather nerf, has been brought back down to OU again, and it is still good. Bulky Excadrill can take some surprising shots and can fire back some surprising shots. Iron Head takes on annoying fairies (Clefable I'm looking at you) and cleans up what Earthquake can't. Excadrill makes for a good Rapid Spinner, as he causes switches and plenty of opportunities. Toxic is a great move with prediction, hitting bulky mons that try to come in and weakening them.

azumarill.gif

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
Azumarill creates great synergy with the team, being able to cover Landorus-T, Chansey, and Excadrill and punching right back with her own move. Waterfall is probably the most commonly used move, as having 100% accuracy helps more, as well as the occasional flinch. Thanks to Aqua Jet being a priority move, I can usually finish off weakened foes, and even without KOing the opponent, Aqua Jet does good damage in its' own right. Knock Off helps take recovery away from the foe, and having a 120 BP move is very useful. It takes the pressure off the match and makes sure I don't have to rush with taking out the opponent. Play Rough is the final move, taking out pesky Dark and Fighting-types, which is very good because there are powerful Pokemon of each type that can be threatening to this team.

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
Standard pivot set, Landorus-T works well as a physical wall, Intimidate helps minimize the damage taken. Not only defensively, but offensively Landorus-T is a behemoth. Earthquake dents anything that isn't immune to it. Adding to that, Stone Edge dents anything that Earthquake can't hit. U-turn rounds out Stone Edge and Earthquake, allowing Landorus-T to hit everything in the OU tier for neutral damage at least, and helps keep offensive momentum. Stealth Rock of course, to help deal extra damage.

494.gif

Victini @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- V-create
- Thunder
- Glaciate
- Focus Blast
Victini is a rather amazing Pokemon with alright stats. This little mini nuke's mixed set has a super effective move for nearly every Pokemon in OU. V-Create is a physical move, that, with the addition of STAB, is a 180 BP move. It 2HKOs Chansey and 3HKOs Clefables, and anything else barring Water-types, Dragons, and Rock-types. Thunder covers Flying-types and the Water Pokemon that think they can come in and stop Victini. Glaciate is a very interesting move, because it reduces the opponent's speed, and with prediction, can cripple incoming threats, allowing Victini to possibly win a match it normally couldn't. Focus Blast covers Heatrans, Tyranitars, and anything the above moves can't hit.

chansey.gif

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
One of the oldest Pokemon, Chansey is still also one of the most viable. Chansey does her job well as a cleric, and often she does her job. Thunder Wave eliminates faster Pokemon, letting my slower Pokemon move first. Seismic Toss makes sure Chansey has a decent attack, isn't just Taunt bait, and breaks Substitutes with ease. Soft-Boiled is for recovery.

altaria-mega.gif

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 168 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Earthquake
Mega Altaria is very interesting, being a Dragon-type immune to Dragon-type moves. Mega Altaria is also more powerful, having base 110 in Atk, Def, and Sp. Atk with 105 Sp. Def. Thanks to these great stats, Mega Altaria is suitable as an amazing mixed attacker. Altaria isn't even fazed by Heatran, Earthquake hits him very hard, scaring the magma quadruped away. Hyper Voice is the main move used by Altaria, blasting away Dragons, Rotom-W, and really anything that isn't Steel or Poison. Fire Blast gets rid of the Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and other Steel-types people cockily bring out. Roost finishes off the set, giving Mega Altaria longevity throughout the game.

Exportable:
Spoiler:

BigPaws

Banned
Years
Have you encountered problems with stall? Because this team seems like it might face great difficulties in that match up. Things like hippowdon and mega venusaur would also be very troublesome to face if hazards are up.
Other than that, your team isn't very fast, so will face problems against hyper offence and those lop/zam balances. Keldeo also gives this team a lot of problems, especially if it is the old cub-cm set (but mega altaria kinda helps with that).
Your team looks very offensive on paper, but to be quite honest it feels like you lose out on a lot of momentum. For one i feel chansey is the most replaceable member here. It's passive and you need something that can help you against stall, aka stallbreaker. Mew is a good choice.
The team doesn't glue together for me well enough tbh, if you could provide something about the overall synergy and as to why you chose each mon would be helpful.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
Have you encountered problems with stall? Because this team seems like it might face great difficulties in that match up. Things like hippowdon and mega venusaur would also be very troublesome to face if hazards are up.
Not really except Venusaur is annoying, but the good thing is Venusaur can't do much in return. With Hippowdon I have a few easy ways of taking care of it, like Mega Altaria (which 2HKOs with Hyper Voice). Even Victini 2HKOs Clefable with V-Create (which I Glaciate first so V-Create's stat reduction doesn't let Clefable/outspeed and recover) and breaks most walls with ease.
Other than that, your team isn't very fast, so will face problems against hyper offence and those lop/zam balances. Keldeo also gives this team a lot of problems, especially if it is the old cub-cm set (but mega altaria kinda helps with that).
Not really, this team is made so you're supposed to switch to a proper counter or eliminate with prediction. Victini hits most of the metagame for SE damage anyways/slows incoming threats with Glaciate. Chansey also lets me slow threats down with TWave. Keldeo gets totally walled by Azumarill or Altaria unless it carries Icy Wind, which is a 3HKO. Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham can be a pain to a certain extent if the opponent tries to keep either one throughout the match and can wear out my Pokemon with Fake Out.
Your team looks very offensive on paper, but to be quite honest it feels like you lose out on a lot of momentum. For one i feel chansey is the most replaceable member here. It's passive and you need something that can help you against stall, aka stallbreaker. Mew is a good choice.
Actually I was using Mew on an older version of this team, but with Mew, Bisharp puts more pressure on this team. As I said, this team was made so you switch to the proper Pokemon that can handle whatever your opponent's Pokemon is, it's not something were I have one Pokemon to constantly sweep.
The team doesn't glue together for me well enough tbh, if you could provide something about the overall synergy and as to why you chose each mon would be helpful.
Excadrill is immune to the Poison-type moves aimed at both Faries while resisting steel. Azumarill resists the Water-type and Dark-type (Victini) moves aimed at Victini, Excadrill, and Landorus-T, and the Fire-type moves trying to hit Excadrill while covering Mega Altaria's and Landorus-T's Ice weakness and Chansey's fighting weakness. Landorus-T is immune to Azumarill's electric weakness, Chansey's and Excadrill's fighting weakness, immune to Victini's ground weakness (and great against most Pokemon carrying Stone Edge anyways). Victini resists Ice-type moves that try to hit Mega Altaria and Landorus-T while providing a resistance to Chansey's and Excadrill's fighting weakness and resisting Steel-types for Mega Altaria. Chanseys overall takes special attacks and eats them obviously, and cripples faster opponents. Mega Altaria resists Fire-type for Excadrill, Water and Dark-type moves aimed at Victini, Chansey's and Excadrill's Fighting weakness, Azumarill's electric weakness, Landorus-T, Victini's, and Excadrill's Water-type weakness, while being immune to Dragon.

BigPaws

Banned
Years
Azumarill is not a keldeo switch in, its useless once it gets burned. and the offensive core of weavile+keldeo does a number on this team.
While i see the benefits of covering everything's weaknesses with other mons, this team is essentially just switching into things repeatedly, which also means you are going to get worn down very quickly.
For example lets take the following
"Victini resists Ice-type moves that try to hit Mega Altaria and Landorus-T while providing a resistance to Chansey's and Excadrill's fighting weakness and resisting Steel-types for Mega Altaria. "

The only threatening ice type pokemon that comes to my mind right now is weavile, get my point. You accounted for singular type coverage, but not all pokemons are single type. Now you can argue that double switching is possible and that you can essentially pressure the opposition by predicting his moves and switching into things that either resist or are immune to that particular attack, but not only does this mean you are slowly wearing yourself down but also due to the lack of speed, most things that do threaten your current mon will have the coverage and speed to overpower your switch-ins due to what i mentioned above.
I don't know if i am being clear, its late and i am sleepy. But yeah tl;dr you need some kind of win-con and answers to team archetypes/playstyles than just answers to singular types.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
Azumarill is not a keldeo switch in, its useless once it gets burned. and the offensive core of weavile+keldeo does a number on this team.
It resists every move Keldeo has, plus you're relying on a 30% chance of burn, which is why I have a healer. Azumarill also resists all of Weavile's moves + can OHKO Weaviles even when burned.
While i see the benefits of covering everything's weaknesses with other mons, this team is essentially just switching into things repeatedly, which also means you are going to get worn down very quickly.
For example lets take the following
"Victini resists Ice-type moves that try to hit Mega Altaria and Landorus-T while providing a resistance to Chansey's and Excadrill's fighting weakness and resisting Steel-types for Mega Altaria. "
I'll partially admit, Victini doesn't have the best ability to constantly switch in, but I also have Chanseys for common Ice attacks (you forgot Ice Beam and Hidden Power Ice), which outside of Icicle Crash and Ice Shard, are special moves. Also, you would definitely not keep Victini in on either Mamoswine or Weavile, the only two physical Ice users in OU. I also have Azumarill and Landorus-T, which also resist fighting, and Excadrill also resists Steel. I also have recovery moves and bulky Excadrill with Rapid Spin to keep entry hazards from racking up damage.
The only threatening ice type pokemon that comes to my mind right now is weavile, get my point. You accounted for singular type coverage, but not all pokemons are single type. Now you can argue that double switching is possible and that you can essentially pressure the opposition by predicting his moves and switching into things that either resist or are immune to that particular attack, but not only does this mean you are slowly wearing yourself down but also due to the lack of speed, most things that do threaten your current mon will have the coverage and speed to overpower your switch-ins due to what i mentioned above.
I don't know if i am being clear, its late and i am sleepy. But yeah tl;dr you need some kind of win-con and answers to team archetypes/playstyles than just answers to singular types.
Restated from above, each Pokemon covers multiple weaknesses. Ice-type aren't the only Pokemon that carry Ice-type moves either; Hidden Power Ice and Ice Beam see plenty of use too. I'm not going for single type defense, I'm going for defense from popular attacking types.

Last edited:

BigPaws

Banned
Years
Okay i don't see the point in arguing further since i am not able to word myself out properly, i think? idk.
So the only other way i could help is if you could provide some good replays, doesn't need to be all wins or loses, but just games that you felt are good in general.

Anti

return of the king
Years
gotta agree w/ bigpaws here, the team is serviceable to get you to a certain point but is held back by the fact that, well, the team doesn't really do anything.

when bigpaws says you need a wincon, it's because nothing on this team applies much pressure that is can sustain. this is where the low speed is a problem. you claim that's not the goal of the team, but the problem is your team can only switch into threats for a finite period of time before they get worn down, with key members of your defensive core (azu and lando) lacking notable recovery. your opponent can switch around and predict too, and this build is putting too much pressure on its user to do so. you also have to play around a lot of weaks (bish, azu, lop, venu, etc.) which is only making your life more difficult.

you *can* play around that stuff (though definitely not everything), but why make the margin for error so thin? why not just a refine a more sound build, and one that makes outplaying opponents easier by applying more pressure? the thing you need is speed. this is not a stall--you need a wincon. (or, if you really insist not to have one, you need to swing the other way and make your defensive core more sound.) i'm curious what you want to replace and what you don't before making suggestions, but while the team is certainly not bad, it has trouble w/ certain archetypes and pokes and doesn't have enough of its own coherent strategy.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
gotta agree w/ bigpaws here, the team is serviceable to get you to a certain point but is held back by the fact that, well, the team doesn't really do anything.

when bigpaws says you need a wincon, it's because nothing on this team applies much pressure that is can sustain. this is where the low speed is a problem. you claim that's not the goal of the team, but the problem is your team can only switch into threats for a finite period of time before they get worn down, with key members of your defensive core (azu and lando) lacking notable recovery. your opponent can switch around and predict too, and this build is putting too much pressure on its user to do so. you also have to play around a lot of weaks (bish, azu, lop, venu, etc.) which is only making your life more difficult.

you *can* play around that stuff (though definitely not everything), but why make the margin for error so thin? why not just a refine a more sound build, and one that makes outplaying opponents easier by applying more pressure? the thing you need is speed. this is not a stall--you need a wincon. (or, if you really insist not to have one, you need to swing the other way and make your defensive core more sound.) i'm curious what you want to replace and what you don't before making suggestions, but while the team is certainly not bad, it has trouble w/ certain archetypes and pokes and doesn't have enough of its own coherent strategy.

Bumping this thread, I've been really busy but now I'm finally back in business. I agree, if I can't finish a certain Pokemon off I tend to get worn down, and pretty quickly. I guess you're right, there is no main point to this team, it's more of an attempt at trying to lean away from my usual playstyle of stall. I'd be perfectly fine with taking out Azumarill and Excadrill, but I'll take out whatever though.

Back