• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Meanwhile, FORSAKEN needs at least another pair or two! However, once it starts, others will be allowed to join.

Bring your buddy!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
What would you say defines a good roleplay character?

I need to be able to see how they act and why they do so. In essence, I guess a good connection between a character's personality and their history. A lot of the time you see characters that have both interesting personalities and histories, but sometimes I don't see the link between the two. Plus they can't be a Mary-Sue, as pretty much everyone has stated.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
So i'm curious, has there ever been a pokemon RP set a long time in the past? Before electronics, pokeballs and pokedex'. There would be apricorns turned into pokeballs, young trainers would get a large empty book in which they would have to draw and record information about every pokemon they encounter and so on. With no electronics/modern technologies, the world would be a lot more dangerous, no hospitals or police presence, with no materials like teflon, blizzards could freeze you to death unless you have thick winter clothes especially made for the cold

The concept intrigues me, but I doubt I'll act on it, feel free to steal it and turn it into a RP.

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
So i'm curious, has there ever been a pokemon RP set a long time in the past? Before electronics, pokeballs and pokedex'. There would be apricorns turned into pokeballs, young trainers would get a large empty book in which they would have to draw and record information about every pokemon they encounter and so on. With no electronics/modern technologies, the world would be a lot more dangerous, no hospitals or police presence, with no materials like teflon, blizzards could freeze you to death unless you have thick winter clothes especially made for the cold

The concept intrigues me, but I doubt I'll act on it, feel free to steal it and turn it into a RP.

The idea has been done a few times in the past, but it was been a long time that I have seen it done. Though I could be wrong since I rarely look into Pokemon RPs nowadays. It would be interesting to have this concept transformed into a Journey RP. At least that is what I would do if I was to run the RP.

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
Years

I am in the process of creating a journey-esque Pokemon RP that takes place in a fantasy setting. It's an alternate world but they have Pokemon and a little bit of magic in a medieval/renaissance or pre-industrial setting. If that sounds close enough to something you'd be interested in, stick around a bit.

I'm currently fleshing out the world and some background details but I've yet to come up with how I want the plot to go. I'll probably post teasers when its about ready to get feedback on plot ideas.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Just to start another topic (that I have no idea if it's been asked and I'm curious!):

Do you prefer a more open-world roleplay or one with more structures (whether it be chapters, day's, etc.)?

I personally like ones with more structure, as I like knowing what I need to have accomplished with my character at a certain point, where my character stands (whether it me with a personal accomplishment, Pokémon levels, etc.), and I feel like it just keeps better track of the roleplay itself.

Years
Personally I see the merits of both open and structured RPs.

Structured RPs tend to be more active for one thing but more than that they usually give people a sense of achievement through things such as levels which helps motivate and keep things on track. They are also easier to GM.

On the other hand Open RPs allow for more creative freedom and surprise twists/plot events and better allow for the development of personal arcs etc...

Right now I aim to find a balance between open and structured aspects so as to allow as best I can for the benefits of both but as I become more experienced with RPing it is quite possible my views will change.

MinnesotanGamer

Insert Something Interesting
Years
Do you prefer a more open-world roleplay or one with more structures (whether it be chapters, day's, etc.)?
I personally think that roleplays with structure are better, but there is definitely a line. Roleplays have to give the players themselves enough room to insert their own ideas into the plot, otherwise its rather boring for the roleplayers (from personal experience). On the other hand, having a roleplay be too open and not have enough plot does lead to less motivated roleplayers as Pie sorta hinted to.

I guess that kinda brings up the point of just how much a GM should regulate a roleplay. I have been in roleplays before where I simply follow directions from the GM for a few dozen posts, and its honestly boring. The GM should have enough of a hand in the roleplay to keep it interesting and keep the RPers headed in the right dirrection, but keep it open enough for the RPers to explore the world they are in and insert their own ideas into the plot.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
I am in the process of creating a journey-esque Pokemon RP that takes place in a fantasy setting. It's an alternate world but they have Pokemon and a little bit of magic in a medieval/renaissance or pre-industrial setting. If that sounds close enough to something you'd be interested in, stick around a bit.

I'm currently fleshing out the world and some background details but I've yet to come up with how I want the plot to go. I'll probably post teasers when its about ready to get feedback on plot ideas.

That sounds highly intriguing. I shall be awaiting it with baited breath.
Certainly interested in following it, if not signing up, which I most likely will do.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023

I had a steampunk roleplay where PokéBalls didn't exist but it didn't last exceptionally long. It was years ago haha. Having a journey roleplay like this would be interesting indeed!!

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Hello guys! ^^ I've joined an RP or two here and I'm planning on making my own soon by using the stuff learned from other forums. However, I would like to have everyone's opinion on this - would chapter based RPs here be better or the 'normal' type I see around here?

The RP's name would probably be 'A Rocket's Diary' with the tagline 'What if you're a Rocket? What if you need it to survive? What if all havoc breaks loose, and you're the one to blame?' My idea is to RP (at first) about problems within Team Rocket itself. After Giovanni a new leader took over, but after a while he was found dead in his room. The RPers would be the suspects, and in order to get off the suspect list, they'll have to try proving themselves worthy or innocent in order to stay alive. The reason they can't quit Team Rocket is that the characters are either orphans or really poor people, and TR is keeping them alive by giving them food and hospitality. The plot develops from there.

May I ask for everyone's opinion on this? ^^

Years
Well Fenne-kun I'd say that is a rather interesting idea and I think I'd thoroughly enjoy it :)

I would suggest breaking into loose chapters with a main objective but also plenty of free play would be the best way to go about it so the RPers follow your plot but also get a lot of creative freedom (similar to what we were just discussing). Also I vote for a "choosing his successor" arc.

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Would 'Phases' work then? Instead of 'Chapter One' etc which limits everyone into posting similar stuff, 'Phase One' would mainly be perhaps a first capture where there's a bit of freedom before rounding everyone up, making them finish their part and moving to 'Phase Two'? Basically a gray area in between. Just adding a name to it? XD Suspects AND choosing for successor? Works!

Last edited:
Years
Okay guys I would like to test the water for an RP that I am thinking of creating (it won't be appearing until Aeterna and Ultima are no longer on the first page though, assuming I go ahead with it). It will be another Journey RP but it will definitely be different to my current one as it will probably be set in

*drum roll

The Holon Region - A TCG region believed to be North of Kanto, probably below Sinnoh or to the side of it somewhere. For those of you who don't know it is also the region home to Delta Species pokemon. I'll put a lot of work into this if you guys are interested enough, so what do you think?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
@ gimmepie, personally I think there are so many pokémon RPs now, and several of them journey-like, so working on another right at this moment would not be my own priority :3

Years
@ Red's - I am aware of this (which is one reason I'll be waiting till later using the time frame I put in my other post as an EARLIEST submission), hopefully not sounding like a tool there. I would want to put a lot of work into developing and writing it out etc first anyway with a more defined and structured approach than my current journey RP (which is very lax) and put a lot of focus into unravelling the history of the region etc...

Which is where this request/plea/pitiful begging session comes in. If any of you do like the sounds of this enough I would very much appreciate the help of at least one other person with the workload creating (and probably GMing) for this RP.

Also: No offence to you Red's, I do very much respect your opinion :)

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I personally would like to see a Digimon RP right now; haven't had those in a while~
Hmmm I'm still thinking about a Persona RP, but, I'm just not sure how I can make it.. "fit" so to speak. Or a RP that is something like... the Justice Leauge, or The Avengers?

Would anyone like anyone of those?

Years
I'd gladly get to work on a digimon RP but I haven't had anything to do with the series since I was like 9 (was not a fan of the weird merging stuff that started happening). As for Persona, I have no idea what that is. Your ideas for A Justice League/Avengers sort of RP would probably be fun though :). Go for it xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Also: No offence to you Red's, I do very much respect your opinion :)
No worries, you wanted to test the waters and I just aired my thoughts ;D

I personally would like to see a Digimon RP right now; haven't had those in a while~
Hmmm I'm still thinking about a Persona RP, but, I'm just not sure how I can make it.. "fit" so to speak. Or a RP that is something like... the Justice Leauge, or The Avengers?

Would anyone like anyone of those?
There is a Digimon RP now, isn't there? Shattered Worlds or whatsitsname. But if a new interesting Digimon RP came along, something like parallelzero's old one, I might join.

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
I'm pondering creating a Digimon RP, but I have to wait until school lets up a bit more before I can go all out into it like I had planned. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back