• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Fanfiction OC Cliches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Hi all, Okay so i'm very new here so please excuse me if I do something wrong or whatever. (Do point it out to me as well)

Anyways, I want to start writing on a Pokemon Fanfic. It's going to include a few OCs, but only a few main ones. I have thought of the whole entire plot and all, and all I need to start writing to complete everything.

The thing is, I know there are some cliche plots out there, and I want to make sure that my plot or anything isn't cliche, I really want it to be unique and original, but I need help finding out what plots have been popping up continuously.

Also, this Fanfiction includes Canon characters inside with one OC of mine paired with one, so I would like only those story kind of cliches to be named.

I'd really appreciate your help in this matter! Thank you!
~AutumnFeather

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
It's difficult to give you advice because I really don't know what your plot actually is. You could, for example, be writing a journey fic with your original characters heading off on a trainer's journey through a region (during which they meet up with canon characters). You could also be writing about a single contest in which the canon coordinator characters all meet up with your OC. You could even be writing about a huge legendary war. All of these would require completely different pieces of advice.

Likewise, I really don't know who your characters are. That could help me suggest plots that could potentially be cliché. For example, as I've mentioned above, I could tell you to avoid ~*~UBER SPECIAL CONTEST EVENTS~*~ because these tend to crop up frequently, usually existing only to pair up everyone (canon characters and OCs alike) like it's some kind of ballroom dance. Likewise, I could tell you to avoid tournament fics or I'm-gonna-save-the-world-because-it-was-prophesized-that-I-would fics if you've got a trainer. Hard to say, really.

In any case, there's been a couple of threads that touched upon the idea of general clichés in plots. Scarlet Weather, for example, created an entire guide to OT (original trainer) stories that covers a lot of the basic possibilities for an original character who's a trainer. Then, there's this thread, which contains a lot of plot elements and whatnot that readers are tired of seeing pop up. Both are a bit outdated, though, but they should give you a very, very basic idea of a few genres to avoid.

So, yeah. I'd like to help you, but I'd probably need to know what the plot and characters actually are before I can really say anything. Sorry.

Years
Likewise, I really don't know who your characters are. That could help me suggest plots that could potentially be cliché. For example, as I've mentioned above, I could tell you to avoid ~*~UBER SPECIAL CONTEST EVENTS~*~ because these tend to crop up frequently, usually existing only to pair up everyone (canon characters and OCs alike) like it's some kind of ballroom dance. Likewise, I could tell you to avoid tournament fics or I'm-gonna-save-the-world-because-it-was-prophesized-that-I-would fics if you've got a trainer. Hard to say, really.

Oh, What I actually mean is to name me some plots that keep popping up in the Pokemon Fanfiction and people are getting tired of them, so I can edit my plot so that it's original in it's own way.

which contains a lot of plot elements and whatnot that readers are tired of seeing pop up. Both are a bit outdated, though, but they should give you a very, very basic idea of a few genres to avoid.

And this is what I need, thank you very much! Do let me know if you have any other advice to give me, and well, about my own plot, I kinda feel like i'm giving out spoilers if I do say it here... so that's why i'm currently not disclosing it to anyone. But if you REALLY need to know, do PM me :)

Thank you once again!
~AutumnFeather

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
And this is what I need, thank you very much! Do let me know if you have any other advice to give me, and well, about my own plot, I kinda feel like i'm giving out spoilers if I do say it here... so that's why i'm currently not disclosing it to anyone. But if you REALLY need to know, do PM me :)
That's unfortunately a problem. I was going to write up a post to help you out, since all I write is OCs with canon characters, but I couldn't say anything to help you out because I don't know what you're doing.

There are so many canons in Pokemon, where fanfiction based on any one of those canons have their own clichéd plots. I jumped to anime automatically, and was going to say that a plot where the OC meets up with Ash and they travel around a region to save the world/become awesome trainers/fall in love with canon character of choice isn't original.

But...you could be writing a game-based fic where Ash doesn't exist.

So it's hard to help you without at least some basics of what you have planned. Like the characters. Which canon characters? Trainers-of-the-day? Coordinators-of-the-week? Watchers-of-the-Orange-Islands-season? Even with just the characters involved would make a difference with what advice you'll get.

Because there's really not much to say in this thread, since you're just going to be sending PMs to interested people anyhow.

EDIT: I bounce around on forums, so I saw your thread on Serebii.

Contestshipping: The pairing of May and Drew
Ikarishipping: The pairing of Paul and Dawn
Shipping: the act of pairing and supporting two characters in a romantic sense. Prefixes are given to the term "shipping/ship/shipper" to name the couple.
Shipper: People who support romantic relations between characters. Example: "She's a Contestshipper."

Here's the Wiki article for Mary-Sue. It gives the basics on them. Pokemon Sues tend to have strong and rare Pokemon.

Just as long as you keep the canon characters in character around your original character is a plus. And as long as you remember that it takes time to build up a romance between people.

Last edited:
Years
Umms, I still do feel uncomfortable disclosing my fic, but since the situation is like that, I guess it wouldn't hurt right? ><"

Um well, my story is based on the manga (where Ash doesn't exist as well) and it has romance, but I plan to go slowly, instead of just INSTANT, like I have read in certain fics.

It involves the manga canon characters basically, and my OC isn't a trainer, nope she isn't.

So, do you want me to name out the whole entire of my plot?

Oh, one more question before I forget: On FF.net when I read Pokemon Fics, sometimes I see the words" Contestshipping, Ikarishipping, shipping shipping shipping whatsoevershipping...." Could anyone please tell me what those words mean?

Thank you! :D

EDIT: Thanks for the info! :D

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2011
Contestshipping is the romantic pairing between May and Drew
Ikarishipping is between Dawn and Paul

Also, sometimes shipping are named (person#1)x(person#2)
eg. Contestshipping would be MayxDrew

If you want an article on shippings, as well as a basic list of the most common ones, look at the "Shipping" article on Bulbapedia
(I can't post links because I don't have enough posts, sorry)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Contestshipping is the romantic pairing between May and Drew
Ikarishipping is between Dawn and Paul

Also, sometimes shipping are named (person#1)x(person#2)
eg. Contestshipping would be MayxDrew

If you want an article on shippings, as well as a basic list of the most common ones, look at the "Shipping" article on Bulbapedia
(I can't post links because I don't have enough posts, sorry)
Thank you for bumping a thread that's almost three months old to repeat information that was already stated:

EDIT: I bounce around on forums, so I saw your thread on Serebii.

Contestshipping: The pairing of May and Drew
Ikarishipping: The pairing of Paul and Dawn
Shipping: the act of pairing and supporting two characters in a romantic sense. Prefixes are given to the term "shipping/ship/shipper" to name the couple.
Shipper: People who support romantic relations between characters. Example: "She's a Contestshipper."
Thread closed due to being bumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back