• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
kimunetown_by_nintendork15-d60n2hp.png

Hometown for eon.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years

Hometown for eon.

generally, a home town is smaller than most other towns, are the other towns going to be bigger than this? it just seems weird to have a pokemart in the first town >.<

also all the houses in one area seems a little cluttered, and then you have an open area with a single tree and a lot of grass >.> it just seems a little messy, maybe if you put one of the houses over there it would even out the map

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years

Hometown for eon.

The map looks great, glad you did a twist like what Aspertia City did to the main games with adding a PkMn Center/PkMn Mart to the starting town. It really adds a bit of uniqueness to your game.

There are only two things that kind of throw me off about the map though.

First, I like the positioning of the residential houses, but the bottom right one is blocking the road. I know the player will just walk behind the back of the house, but I just find it weird.

Also, the grass patches near the river...Are those needed? If not, maybe you can expand the river so when the player has accessibility to Surf, they will be able to get an item or secret in that little area near the mountains right behind the grass patches.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
The map looks great, glad you did a twist like what Aspertia City did to the main games with adding a PkMn Center/PkMn Mart to the starting town. It really adds a bit of uniqueness to your game.

There are only two things that kind of throw me off about the map though.

First, I like the positioning of the residential houses, but the bottom right one is blocking the road. I know the player will just walk behind the back of the house, but I just find it weird.

Also, the grass patches near the river...Are those needed? If not, maybe you can expand the river so when the player has accessibility to Surf, they will be able to get an item or secret in that little area near the mountains right behind the grass patches.

Mart is related to in game events.
I see nothing wrong with the houses.
Patch of Grass is where the ''pokemon'' of the professor will be kept, as a little fun to do, you can talk to them when you have surf.

Rango

Show Me The Money Wide Load!
Years
The second route in my new game, creatively named Route B

Django_zps90f6acc7.png

EDIT: Woops, just noticed the trees missing tops over on the mountain, please disregard them.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015

Django_zps90f6acc7.png

EDIT: Woops, just noticed the trees missing tops over on the mountain, please disregard them.

Looks good, nice small and straight forward, the mountain is missing some tiles at the top, and the path too,

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Ze map is simple, and quick to the point. I think you've carved a good path for the route, and made the flowering and grass very nice. Noting a few things, however, like the short trees at the beginning kind of cover up the big ones, and damaging the good feel. Also, on the mountain, I guess you forgot to put in side connectors at the very top, and you could use some rocks up there as well.

Also. maybe you could use the short trees more effectively, maybe by making them more abundant. Also, I don't think you should make two-tile length pathways, either.

One thing that's extremely cool is the trainer tip sign, it's placed in a perfect position.

Good luck in your game, tho~

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years

Django_zps90f6acc7.png

Personally I think the small trees are rather lazy, you could move the trees where you want them and extend the map one to complete the trees
other than that it looks very nice, but also the mountain top if missing, incase you didnt notcie

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I agree with ★Hoenn★ for the most part. I will add that you left out a path tile up the top, and that the second two patchs of grass when starting from the bottom left should be thinned out a little. Other than that, I think this is a great map. First-time mappers would do well to follow your example.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years

Hometown for eon.

Me likey. Good set-up overall.

The bottom house has a tree beside it that's missing its left-hand side (if you understand what I mean, anyway).

The gate opening, too. One side has an extension part, the other doesn't. Looks kinda funky.

Also, I think the grass doesn't fit the best, but it's OK as it is. It's just being nitpicky; good job!

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
This is a mockup of the map for the first town in my game, made in Paint Shop Pro rather than an actual map-maker... It's okay for me to post this here, right?

TESTMAP.png

The Ho-oh statue is a placeholder for something I'm going to have to make from scratch, and the fence on the left side is supposed to be a chain fence that can be opened, which I'll also have to sprite... I kind of feel like there's something missing, but I'm not sure what. Any feedback you could give me would be appreciated.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@yamiidenryuu: it doesn't matter which program you used to make a map. Anyways, yours looks nice forr a starter town. It doesn't really miss anything if you ask me, maybe you're just talking about the few npc s thay roam the town?

Years
@Yamii, I think the shadows need some opacity. They look a bit weird when they get bigger. The trees look very natural. But in the south-eastern part there is that zigzaging gap that look a bit odd to me.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
2zdzN

This map doesn't really have a point and it will not be part of any game, just having fun using my map editor for my engine. I know there is nothing toward the right of it, I got bored and felt like it wasn't going anywhere. Supposed to be a route 1.

Years
@oxysoft, overall, I think its a very well made map, I particularly like the grass and rocks tiles altough that rock with grass on it look weird to me. The trees are also very cool (maybe too much white on the edge?)
I think the rock in water doesn't fit much unless you give a whole "depth-water" tiles for the water tiles. (If you get what I mean xD)
Here's my starting town's updated map, still need more work I suppose, anyway:
OIIIAWH.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
@Yamii, I think the shadows need some opacity. They look a bit weird when they get bigger. The trees look very natural. But in the south-eastern part there is that zigzaging gap that look a bit odd to me.
Which shadows, the trees or the houses? And the gap is a mistake that won't be in the final product. I just didn't feel like copy-pasting everything all over again.

Also, I just remembered there was supposed to be a connection to another route to the north as well as a trader's stall, so I'm gonna have to redo it at some point... there was something missing after all. XD

Anyway, here's the other map I have finished, the first route out of Springbud.

test-rt19.png

I set it up so that it's easy to avoid the grass if you just want to get through, but harder to do so if you want to get to some other things- two items to the north, and a connector to a little hidden area that I'll map later. Is it too simple?

Years
@Yamii, I was talking about the shadows of buildings. Your second map is pretty cool. But the tall grass looks bad imo, the contrast between the grass and the tall grass is very sstrong (If you get what I mean). you should probably modify its palette to make it less dark, the pallette is shared with trees I suppose, but they also need to be less dark anyway. ^^ The bridge looks too simple and it seems like a big piece of wood that was simply put in there without any support to keep it immovable, I think you should work on its ends.

Riansky

Purr
Years
Here are the maps from my game. I combined all the maps together so you get the idea how the region looks.
Warning! BIG IMAGE!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Are those 6th gen tiles I spy? Interesting. Your mapping is quite good, particularly your two routes there. Excellent job on those, though I would advise a teency bit of grass on the top path of Route 1. The palettes are visually appealing and have a nice balance of colour amongst the buildings in relation to the environment. There's some blackness at the top of some of the buildings in the northern city, though I figure you know that. The building arrangement there is the only thing I really take objection to. Just remember that the buildings have space behind them, and so should probably overlap the paths to the north a bit, the buildings at the very top, etc. Nice work man, 9/10.

Last edited:

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Here is my latest map.
vetus_town_by_rayd12smitty-d61zngz.png

The name of the Town is Vetus Town

The word Vetus comes from Latin meaning old. It is directly related to another town in my region called Novum town. Novum means new. The cave in the western side of town holds half of an ancient prophecy and story of the region. The second cave is located in Novum Town, which is accessed earlier. You encounter this town in between the 1st and 2nd Gyms.

Oh and there will also be Wingull and Pelliper flying overhead at most times, as well as some undersea Pokemon which can be seen through the water at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back