• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen III]: Battle Scripting with BSP

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
How do you think they get called in the first place? You do realize that all scripting is just a higher level of ASM right? It is basically a macro ASM language.

Yes, I know, but how? I don't think a simple jump is enough, because the game has to know it should execute a battle script. How do I do this?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Yes, I know, but how? I don't think a simple jump is enough, because the game has to know it should execute a battle script. How do I do this?

The battle script loader. If you set a break on loading of the first command, it should be the battle script loader which does this. You will have to work backwards to the top of the routine. Now, my question is, why?

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
The battle script loader. If you set a break on loading of the first command, it should be the battle script loader which does this. You will have to work backwards to the top of the routine. Now, my question is, why?

I'm trying to add a check for the opponent pokemon's type and status ailment to implement in the code for a custom ball. Thank you for the tip, I'm going to try it.

Last edited:

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Another question: what do call and goto execute? Do they jump to another battle script, or to an asm routine?

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
Sorry for being noob in my question

Can I add new abilities with this tool?(because it has abilities.blah blah)

Second thing, Can I make a new battle script for legendary battles...

example, instead of Wild GROUDON appeared, Legendary GROUDON appeared

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Sorry for being noob in my question

Can I add new abilities with this tool?(because it has abilities.blah blah)

Second thing, Can I make a new battle script for legendary battles...

example, instead of Wild GROUDON appeared, Legendary GROUDON appeared

1: No, abilities are handled by asm, the abilities is just an ini file
2: That's not battle scripting, that's a battle string

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
No you cannot, you can make move effects and only move effects.

Actually, they can do way more than that. Almost everything happening during battles is a battle script (command). So I guess text could be handled by this too.

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Sorry to be a noob but isn't there a printstring type of command? Doesn't it have any other use?

There is. Just convert the string you're looking for to hex and search for it with a hex editor. Then look into the idb for battle scripts and asm surrounding it.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
Hi, I just wanted to ask what determines how long status moves last for? Can you make them last for a set number of turns like sleep when resting? Also what's the command for doing damage to yourself? Does it have to be like recoil damage or can you set it so that a percentage of max health is lost?

Thanks

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
I understood 75% ,
but I dunno how to execute a new message string.
like when the effects are applied, it shows "POKEMON had been trapped in FOE's Magic Aura"
I had seen this in Mrdollsteak rom, the worry seed

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Hey there everyone. I'm getting ready to dive into this program with the intention of having additional text pop up after a wild pokemon battle ends. I have a variable being stored in 8001 after a pokemon battle, and if its anything other than FF, or 00, the text should appear. From what I've been told by FBI, this is the best method to make this happen. If anyone can give me some pointers, I would love to hear them! Also! I'm using JPAN / Dollsteak engine, and it seems that the offsets aren't set up to handle this. Anyone know what offsets need changed?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Hey there everyone. I'm getting ready to dive into this program with the intention of having additional text pop up after a wild pokemon battle ends. I have a variable being stored in 8001 after a pokemon battle, and if its anything other than FF, or 00, the text should appear. From what I've been told by FBI, this is the best method to make this happen. If anyone can give me some pointers, I would love to hear them!

This tool edits moves and their effects, not battle engine calls and workings.
For example, you can edit what tackle does in this program, but you can't edit the entire level up stuff in battle via this tool. That's just engine routine stuff and things.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
This tool edits moves and their effects, not battle engine calls and workings.
For example, you can edit what tackle does in this program, but you can't edit the entire level up stuff in battle via this tool. That's just engine routine stuff and things.

I assumed this same thing.

Last edited:
Back