• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Gen had the worst starters?

Which Gen had the worst starters?

• Total voters

GrayJM9

Playing White 2
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Are you kidding?!? :surprised:

Now that I think about it, Gen V and II are my least favorites.
Well, it's hard to choose because I think every Generation had good starters but treecko and mudkip were both in my bottom 5 along with Tepig, Chimchar and Totodile.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
Generation III. They were not designed well and I don't like their evolutions.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Gen V has the worst starters. Samurott is the only one that can holds its own and it can barely do that. Making Tepig into another Fire/Fighting really jaded me, plus it's not even a good Fire/Fighting type. Blaziken and Infernape put it to shame.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I'd say Gen V. I just like it was the generation where creativity in starters, really faded away. Except for Oshawott, they were all based on a type of animal which had already had at least one Pokemon designed for it, and there were no interesting typings this time around, especially not considering one of them was yet another Fire/Fighting type in a row, which I don't really see any excuse for. I also feel like they were less memorable than any other generation of starters, and overall, they just don't really reach the top of the list. Can't say much for them in battle, as I've only used Emboar so far, and it was pretty decent, although the worst of its typing tbh.

Years
Gen V's designs are so bad. In every other generation, I like at least 2 of the start lines, in V I hate the fire + water and I think the Snivy line is only okay.

In game Serperior was nothing special either and I kept it in the party but rarely used it.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Gen 5, OMG BAD DESIGNS Oshawott is a little great, but Dewott and Samurott OMFG. The others were just meh. Gen 1,2,3 the best for me. (but gen 4 is my fav gen btw)

PichuRules4ever

The TF2 Pyro
Years
Gen 4 had the worst starters to me (D/P/Pt). I didn't really like Chimchar or Turtwig, and even though I did choose Piplup, it wasn't my favorite. Even though gen 4 was one of my favorite gens, I thought it had the worst starters.

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
Years
Gen V, I just couldn't be bothered to actually use the starters in-game. Tbh, they were also among the worst design-wise, along with Gen IV.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
In my opinion B/W had the worst starters ever.
Tepig being another Fire/Fighting was so incredible annoying to me, i didn't like the Snivy evolution line at all, and Oshawott is okay because he gets to evolve into Samurott.
My favorite Gen Starters are definitely the Hoenn trio.

tealwing

Genie
Years
I'd have to say Gen IV, because Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup simply didn't appeal to me at all. On another note, my favorite generation would have to be Gen III. Who can resist the cool Treecko, cute Torchic, or adorable Mudkip given to you at the start of your journey?

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
I've gotta say gen III. Although it is probably my favorite gen overall, none of the starters really shine to me. I've always liked grovyle, though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2013
I really didn't have a thing for Gen 5. I'm not big on another Fire/Fighting, and the others were just.. meh.

Gen With..

Best Fire Starters: I, III, IV
Best Water Starters: I, III, V
Best Grass Starters: I, III, IV

I'd have to say the best gens are I and III for starters, with Gen III winning for me.

tnfsf11

Anything past 2nd gen doesn't exist... So that's a silly question.
I'd hate to call you a genwunner but you have to give constructive criticism, you have to see all the starters then judge here, not call gen 3-5 Pokemon "non-existent", just sayin...

Reactions: T!M

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Gen 2 was my least favorite and Generation 1 (Yellow Version). Mainly because neither of the starters in that game made short work with the first Gym Leader. Had to catch a Geodude in G/S and a Mankey in Y. :/ (I voted Gen2 though as it's relevant.)

tnfsf11

Based upon looks, I'd say gen 4 cuz Chimchar is basically a monkey with a butt on fire, while Turtwig is just another turtle starter that looked very generic, maybe Piplup was the only good looking starter.
At first I would have said gen 5, as when I first saw the starters I thought they were ugly as hell, especially Tepig & it's evolutions, but the other 2 have grown on me & I kinda like them now...

blue

gucci
Years
There was actually at least one starter I liked from each generation, so to say the worst is kinda difficult since generally I like most of the starters unique designs.

MistressShiki

~Dragon~
Years
  • Age 27
  • NJ
  • Seen May 17, 2013
I would have to say gen 5 was the trio I disliked the most. The design were eh, ok, but nothing outstanding. My fav would have to be Hoenn. ^-^

Back